Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: RIP Ric Ocasek

I remember that an entertainment reporter called him and Paulina “Beauty and the Beast”. When they were asked about this dig, Rick replied, “How dare they call Paulina a beast!”. You gotta love someone who didn’t take it all so seriously. And Drive is on of my favorite power ballads. R. I. P.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

Their greatest song.

Mivvi21 and twitchy2.0 like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Oh man. Rest in peace. I hate this.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Ric Ocasek’s widow Paulina Porizkova has revealed the singer was 'recuperating very well after surgery' in a touching Instagram post following his death from heart disease on Sunday.
    The former supermodel, 54, had earlier written 'thank you', alongside an image of the flowers and toy cars left by fans of the frontman, 75, in an apparent nod to his band The Cars.
    Paulina, who announced her 'peaceful' split with the singer in 2018, said she found him 'still sleeping' when 'bringing him his Sunday morning coffee' in the Manhattan apartment they shared.
    Frontman Ric died of hypertensive and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease, The New York Medical Examiners office confirmed.
    In a touching Instagram post she wrote: 'Ric was at home recuperating very well after surgery.
    'Our two sons, Jonathan and Oliver, and I were making sure he was comfortable, ordering food and watching TV together.
    'I found him still sleeping when bringing him his Sunday morning coffee. I touched his cheek to rouse him. It was then I realized that during the night he had peacefully passed on.
    'We appreciate the great outpouring of love. We, his family and friends, are completely and utterly devastated by his untimely and unexpected death and would appreciate the privacy to mourn in private.'

+12

Paulina Porizkova has broken her silence over her estranged husband Ric Ocasek's death with an Instagram photo of tributes left outside The Cars frontman's Manhattan apartment. The former couple are pictured in April 2018
    +12

Paulina revealed the singer was 'recuperating very well after surgery' in this touching post
    +12

Former supermodel Paulina wrote 'thank you', alongside an image of the flowers and toy cars left by fans of the frontman, 75, in an apparent nod to his band The Cars

Ocasek recently listed his home on East 19 street in Manhattan for sale at over $15 million, after he and Porizkova announced their split in 2018.
    The couple, who were together for 28 years, had two sons together, Jonathan and Oliver.
    At the time of their split she wrote on Instagram: 'Our family always has been - and still is - a well-built car. When the four of us are together, we can go wherever the road takes us.
    'But as a bicycle, my husband and I no longer pedal in unison. So we're ditching the bike.
    'The love we have for one another is so wide and deep it's practically tangible, and that sort of love can never disappear.'
    Porizkova and Ocasek first met while The Cars were filming the music video for Drive in 1984. The couple, who were still legally married at the time of his death, reportedly had a net worth of $80m.
    Ocasek and Porizkova bought the 6,000 square-foot townhouse in New York City where the star was found dead for $2.5 million in 1989.

They listed the townhouse for sale in January 2019 for $15.3 million. The pair also co-owned a 5.5-acre country property 90 miles north of New York City in Millbrook, which they bought in 1997 for $650,000.
    Ocasek had a total of six sons with three wives.

+12

Porizkova and Ocasek first met while The Cars were filming the music video for Drive in 1984. The couple, who were still legally married at the time of his death, reportedly had a net worth of $80m and had two sons together, Jonathan and Oliver. They are pictured in 1990
    +12

A woman leaves a card and flowers at a memorial outside the home of singer Ric Ocasek
    +12

Condolence cards and flowers are left at a memorial outside the home of Ric Ocasek
    +12

Ocasek was pronounced dead at the scene and appeared to have died from natural causesThe last pictures of Ocasek show him walking with his 21-year-old son, Oliver, on a beach in Florida.
    In May last year Porizkova said the couple had been 'peacefully separated for the past year'.
    When asked about single life at the time she told Closer Weekly: 'It's so scary and weird. I don't know what to make out of it yet. I feel like I've had my soulmate.'

In 2015 Porizkova said she was grateful to have someone like Ocasek in her life, but that it was a challenge to stay together with their careers.
    She told Yahoo: 'I agree, we did get lucky to find the right person, having the brains to know that it's the right person, and to work on it and not let it fall apart when things aren't easy.
    'It's always challenging with two people with separate careers. I know models and rock stars have a rep. It's hard when you spend a lot of time apart. Sometimes you risk growing apart.
    'I've seen that a lot of times. [But] we have always been close as a family unit. We have always traveled together and enjoyed spending time together.'

+12

Inductees David Robinson, Ric Ocasek, Elliot Easton and Greg Hawkes of The Cars attend the 33rd Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony in April 2018
    +12

The Cars originated in Boston in 1976 and two years later released their self-titled albumOcasek and band The Cars were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April last year.
    They were described as 'hook-savvy with the perfect combo of new wave and classic rock,' by the institution.
    The band originated in Boston in 1976 and two years later released their self-titled album which shot them to fame with hits that included 'My Best Friend's Girl.'

They are most known for their song 'Drive' being used as the soundtrack for a CBS video for Live Aid that showed the horrors of famine in Ethiopia.

I'mNotBitter likes this.

Candy O was my favorite Cars song. But I liked them all really.

I'mNotBitter likes this.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Weird that he died of heart disease after surgery. Older people normally have to have full check-ups and EKG's and labs etc. prior to elective surgery with general anesthesia, to make sure they are in good enough shape.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Hey
    Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    Weird that he died of heart disease after surgery. Older people normally have to have full check-ups and EKG's and labs etc. prior to elective surgery with general anesthesia, to make sure they are in good enough shape.
    Elective.

Elective surgery is a choice, I’ve not seen an article that said what his surgery was (thank goodness let him have his privacy) and what if it wasn’t elective?
    My grandpa died on the operating table and his wasn’t elective.
    Or only in the sense of “don’t have surgery and die”.

Gold Member

I remember buying the first Cars album in high school. I also remember how big they were for a bit when I was in college in the mid to late 80s. It was basically Prince, Springsteen and the Cars there for a while. I used to listen to "Drive" after coming home alone after a party or three.
    RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Hey
    Elective.

Elective surgery is a choice, I’ve not seen an article that said what his surgery was (thank goodness let him have his privacy) and what if it wasn’t elective?
    My grandpa died on the operating table and his wasn’t elective.
    Or only in the sense of “don’t have surgery and die”.
    With celebrities, if they have some sort of medical emergency and undergo surgery, it's usually all over the media. But I suppose it's possible that he had emergency surgery and his family was able to keep it private.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by sjankis630 View Post
    I remember buying the first Cars album in high school. I also remember how big they were for a bit when I was in college in the mid to late 80s. It was basically Prince, Springsteen and the Cars there for a while. I used to listen to "Drive" after coming home alone after a party or three.
    RIP.

Drive is hands down the best song ever for a late night drive, just like Sister Christian is the best song for a long daytime drive.
    SHELLEE likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Another one of my favourite songs.

HeartShapedBox and greysfang like this.

I'm glad he lived long enough to be in the rock n roll hall of fame.
    sprynkles and holly like this.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Drive is hands down the best song ever for a late night drive, just like Sister Christian is the best song for a long daytime drive.
    Great song. Ironically, my real favorite is another Cars song sung by Benjamin Orr: "Just What I Needed".

I don't mind you coming here and wasting all my time

MohandasKGanja likes this.

Very sad. My brother and his wife lived in Savannah until 2016 and would see Ric and Paulina out and about there a bit. They shared the same type of dog (Cavalier King Charles) so they would chat often. Neil always said they were the kindest, most down to earth people and always happy to sit and talk with any fans or locals who approached. plus he also said Paulina was - still- so beautiful that it was hard to look at her for long.

just so sad.
    Novice and Daphodil like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information