Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Rachel Weisz announces pregnancy at 48

well after working in the health field and dealing with genetic testing, which by the way insurance still doesnt want to cover a lot of genetic tests, it is not great for man or woman to have a baby that late.
    yeah yeah i hear omg no one should have a baby in their early 20's but the earlier the better from a health standpoint. of course not every child coming from old mutated sperm and egg will have problems but plenty do. what the hell is wrong with having a baby early? extra bonus the kids out of the house when you are still fairly young.
    Beeyotch and rollo like this.

Many people, myself included, arenít in the position to have children young. Whether itís relationship status, financial, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    Many people, myself included, aren’t in the position to have children young. Whether it’s relationship status, financial, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by marvel View Post
    well after working in the health field and dealing with genetic testing, which by the way insurance still doesnt want to cover a lot of genetic tests, it is not great for man or woman to have a baby that late.
    yeah yeah i hear omg no one should have a baby in their early 20's but the earlier the better from a health standpoint. of course not every child coming from old mutated sperm and egg will have problems but plenty do. what the hell is wrong with having a baby early? extra bonus the kids out of the house when you are still fairly young.
    It's getting harder and harder to remember, but we saw a genetic counselor at least once while we were expecting our kids (37 for the first one, and 39 for the second). The chart that the counselor showed us was basically like below and it was really bracing to see what the risk for Down Syndrome was for us in just a two-year period. The chart below goes far enough to show what it would be for someone Weisz's age. My guess is that they already had a CVS test done (we did - you can do it at 12 weeks) before she would even start showing - and that her results showed she was in the clear.

Most people in their early 20s, as things stand right now, straight out of college, cannot afford to care for themselves, much less a baby. I don't mean that "Millennials are lazy", I mean they can't find decent jobs that pay decent wages, and are taking second jobs just to pay rent and their student loans. One parents' paycheck would barely cover day care.

I have never understood the logic of having kids early so they can be out of your hair early. It's not a requirement to have children, so I don't get the point of having them early just to cross it off your list.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    Many people, myself included, aren’t in the position to have children young. Whether it’s relationship status, financial, etc.
    Same. Go figure. It happens.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

czb

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    It's getting harder and harder to remember, but we saw a genetic counselor at least once while we were expecting our kids (37 for the first one, and 39 for the second). The chart that the counselor showed us was basically like below and it was really bracing to see what the risk for Down Syndrome was for us in just a two-year period. The chart below goes far enough to show what it would be for someone Weisz's age. My guess is that they already had a CVS test done (we did - you can do it at 12 weeks) before she would even start showing - and that her results showed she was in the clear.

now, what they can determine from bloodwork alone goes beyond the technology of years ago. so many people who would have previously had either cvs or amnio might not need to have it, given what info the tests from bloodwork alone can provide. depends on what factors they are dealing with - age, genetics, etc.
    Last edited by czb; April 22nd, 2018 at 06:15 PM. Reason: fix typo
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

I'd fucking kill myself if I got knocked up at my age (47). Thankfully, that won't be happening since I've had an ablation & my tubes tied back in 2011. Fuck that.
    ConstanceSpry, gas_chick and rollo like this.

a lot of issues with older parents though are the invisible disabilities. the mental disorders that pop up during the teen years or later. thats a big one with older parents. again not all but higher with older parents. and not trying to be mean but instead of blaming vaccines for autism maybe look at the fact that a lot of autistic children have older parents that needed help getting pregnant. yes its a blessing but there is always consequences conceiving other than plain ole fucking. i get that people want children, their own, and how devastating it can feel to not have it happen naturally. but even the miracle of science has consequences. again not trying to piss anyone off people just have to look at everything. how about this for BS, I worked at a place that ended up taking a loss letting a man get BRCA testing. when a man has a history of men with breast cancer in his family insurance should fucking cover it. i wish i would have found out why insurance chose to deny the test. lord knows men get shit on today. I was actually happy the place i was at covered it. but i guess insurance issues deserves its own thread.

Elite Member

I've worked on the business/admin side of healthcare pretty much my whole career and genetic testing is more and more covered it's now non invasive, though if it's positive, it's suggested to get CVS or amnio.

I just can't get too up in arms about pregnancy in people's 40s. I've seen 50+ pregnant and have healthy pregnancies and babies, I was 28 and had a very hard complicated pregnancy and a premature special needs child.
    czb and BelledeJour like this.

I'd bet my last dollar this is a donor egg pregnancy. There's zero chance the baby has Down syndrome because the donor was 1) young and 2) preimplantation genetic testing is done before the embryo is implanted.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

I mean, not everyone has someone TO have kids with in their early 20's. Plus, after college I could barely afford myself let alone a kid. My husband and I got married when we were 30, lost a pregnancy shortly after and with other medical issues weren't physically able to start IVF until this year (now at 32).

I mean, hopefully some day I'll be an old mom at graduation, but I'm not really looking to have kids to countdown the days that they get out of my house.

There's not anything wrong with having kids in your 20's but is there really anything wrong with having them in your 30's and 40's (outside of potential genetic complications)?
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by o0Amber0o View Post
    There's not anything wrong with having kids in your 20's but is there really anything wrong with having them in your 30's and 40's (outside of potential genetic complications)?
    It hasn't been my personal experience that it was a problem. However, when I was in my teens, I told myself that I would never wait as long as my dad did to be a father. While he was a very strong guy all the way into his 70s, he had lost a huge amount of agility by the time I was old enough to throw a football with him. I'd throw the ball, and it looked like someone had just felled a mighty oak -- it was alarming to see. Ironically, I ended up being the exact same age as him when I started having kids. But the difference was that Mrs Mo (who is older than me) and I stayed in really good shape. So, even now, we can match our kids step for step when we are running, or throwing a ball or weightlifting, or boogie boarding at the beach.

But just to reiterate what you said, people really are not in a lot of control of when they can have kids. Especially where money and suitable partners are involved. These days, the amount of money to put a kid in daycare is CRUCIFYING. And I've heard zillions of times from coworkers and friends that the reason why they didn't have more than one child was that they could not afford it.
    Kittylady likes this.

but instead of blaming vaccines for autism maybe look at the fact that a lot of autistic children have older parents that needed help getting pregnant.
    Anyone still blaming vaccines for autism is too stupid to have kids, young or old.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Congrats to them even though I'm totally a BJF about her being with Daniel Craig.
    Kittylady and sputnik like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I wish them well, I really like her. A friend of mine had twins at 47. They had been trying for a while and had some frozen embryos leftover from a few years back so the kids were from a younger egg, I guess. It's not easy, they are both very tired but they are keeping themselves in good shape. She's 50 and her husband 60something with two four year old boys, one of them with ADHD. It's not an easy life.
    Kittylady likes this.
    If a god of love and life ever did exist... he is long since dead. Someone... something, rules in his place.

This is a battle that women can't win. If you have kids early, you're too young, too inexperienced, and too poor and you really should know better. If you have them late, you're playing russian roulette with your child's health and will be in the nursing home before they finish pre-school anyway. There's probably a sweet spot in there somewhere, but good luck threading that needle.

A friend of mine had her first kid last year at 48. They used donor eggs, so I guess that cut down on some of the age-related genetic issues. She's a freakishly energetic pilates instructor - I think she's in better shape to chase a kid around than I would have been at 25. I'm thrilled for them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information