Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Race row as Robert Downey Jr. films in blackface

1) it's not being done to be offensive

2) historical blackface was

Heaven forfend we have individuals dressing up and applying make up to look like other people. There goes Kabuki, there goes female impersonation, there goes dying your hair, getting a tan and wearing contacts in order for an irish chick to play a latina in 'Aliens', there goes ANYTHING

people need to grow up
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah i dont know why a Black guy couldnt be used, looks like Don Cheadle there!

^^If I'm reading the story right, Downy's character is suppose to be a white actor in the movie, but the part he wants in the movie within a movie is written for a black guy, so his character thinks he can play a black guy, since he's so talented.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

o i didnt read the story

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Couldn't agree more, Sweetness. And, yeah, White Chicks was a stupid movie, but I did laugh my ass off. That's one of the reasons why I'm reserving judgement on the Robert Downey movie until it comes out.
    My all time favorite stupid movie is Scary Movie 2. Even though I've seen it a gazillion times it never fails to have me in stitches!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

Heaven forfend we have individuals dressing up and applying make up to look like other people. There goes Kabuki, there goes female impersonation, there goes dying your hair, getting a tan and wearing contacts in order for an irish chick to play a latina in 'Aliens', there goes ANYTHING

people need to grow up

Amen.

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

Not offended at all, but just sounds like another SILLY movie.

This has nothing to do with maturity or getting a thicker skin. It wasn't so long ago the handicapped and homosexuals could be used as joke fodder and it was completely acceptable. The performer had no fear of being brought to task for their stereotypical and rude performance(s).

If something does not hit home, many tend to overlook it. If blackface is coming back, I say all insulting material should be used openly and when those people are offended, don't say a word. It's just acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

people need to grow up
    Thank you!!!!

Movie sounds hilarious and the makeup work on Robert Downey Jr is pretty awesome. I'm all for it. Blackface doesn't belong anywhere else than satire.

I thought Soul Man was dumb. I didn't want to crucify the actor or the makers of the movie, though.

Then why is it o.k. for Eddie Murphy to be in "white face" and "Asian face" in Norbit and people find it hilarious? It's not meant as a racist statement it's just humor for the film. Is Eddie being racist?
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

... omg, you didn't actually SEE Norbit.. did you?

*horror*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheONe View Post
    Then why is it o.k. for Eddie Murphy to be in "white face" and "Asian face" in Norbit and people find it hilarious? It's not meant as a racist statement it's just humor for the film. Is Eddie being racist?
    I have always wondered the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by TheONe View Post
    and on snl when he would go in white face to show that white people get stuff for free and shit...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I'm black and I have no problem with it. If he mocks black people then I will be angry, but if he's just dressed as a black person then I'm cool. I don't see how it's Blackface. I thought Blackface mocked black people e.g. our "typical" features, culture, etc, like the stupid racist white man in the homosexual community, who dresses as black woman who is grossly obese with many children and mocks us, .

The Wayans did the same thing in White Chicks, and it was funny. They too didn't mock white people. They shouldn't have put "white" in the title, because people just assumed the film would be racist without even watching it, when it turned out to be about the differences between men and women, the poor and the wealthy socialites.

I was also not insulted by Jolie either. One, because the woman whose life she portrayed wanted her to do it. Two, because if a black actress had been chosen, it would've been the same as getting white Jolie...why? Because the woman is really mixed race. I know about the poor excuse used e.g. "white people would see her as black, not biracial" but I don't care because the woman is mixed race. Either choose a biracial actress, or no one at all.
    I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and sky...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information