Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Race row as Robert Downey Jr. films in blackface

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeStudent View Post
    he is actually virtually unrecognizable. i wouldn't have ever guessed it was him.
    He looks like Tyne Daly's ex husband, George Stanford Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    He looks like Tyne Daly's ex husband, George Stanford Brown.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I don't see a problem as long as the content is not racist. I didn't see a problem (or any controversy) when the Wayan brothers went whiteface for White Chicks.
    I guess the sensitivity to this subject goes back to the historical context of blackface. Understandable.
    ssabmud

More of the same lame ass crap. It never stops!

elrock

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Blackface isn't funny, nor is the movie White Chicks. It goes both ways. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    But I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, it reminds me of C. Thomas Howell in Soul Man, which I hated.
    Oh I hear ya, King..... Soul Man sucked!!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    Oh I hear ya, King..... Soul Man sucked!!
    And I still can't believe James Earl Jones actually appeared in Soul Man. He must've had a mortgage payment to make or something.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

^^But that still doesn't change the fact that it's a white actor in blackface.
    Yeah, the right thing to do would have an completely different actor that is "really" black stand in and do the parts when the white actor is doing black face. It's the story line. I am offended by those who are offended. It's just ridiculous to be offended by this; it is being taken out of context. We all know damn well that this isn't like that amos & andy shit (that's what it was right)... A real black man played Uncle Remus in Songs of the South so does that make that movie okay??? Zippity fucking do da...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Yeah, the right thing to do would have an completely different actor that is "really" black stand in and do the parts when the white actor is doing black face. It's the story line. I am offended by those who are offended. It's just ridiculous to be offended by this; it is being taken out of context. We all know damn well that this isn't like that amos & andy shit (that's what it was right)... A real black man played Uncle Remus in Songs of the South so does that make that movie okay??? Zippity fucking do da...
    First off, who said that I was offended? Like I've said before, I didn't know how I felt about it because depending on how they pull it off will determine if it comes off as just satire or if it comes off like another Soul Man.

But the fact remains that it is still a white actor in 'blackface' no matter the context. Even if the part is satire and calls for the white actor to try and pretend that he's black for the context of the movie. It's just like when the Wayans brothers did White Chicks, they were two black guys in 'whiteface.' Pointing that out is not about being offended, it's just about stating a fact.

I saw Soul Man as a young person, maybe 10. It was funny then. Fast forward through two decaded and I see no humor.

Seeing who is involved with this movie makes me wonder if the racial aspect of it will be used strictly for lame, vulgar race jokes.

I was actually laughing on the inside when white people got up and left the theater complaining White Chicks was offensive. The fact they found whiteface offensive, but would most likely laugh at this and Soul Man, was more entertaining than the movie.

It's amazing how blackface was acceptable for years by some who were so easily incensed by whiteface.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    I saw Soul Man as a young person, maybe 10. It was funny then. Fast forward through two decaded and I see no humor.

Seeing who is involved with this movie makes me wonder if the racial aspect of it will be used strictly for lame, vulgar race jokes.

I was actually laughing on the inside when white people got up and left the theater complaining White Chicks was offensive. The fact they found whiteface offensive, but would most likely laugh at this and Soul Man, was more entertaining than the movie.

It's amazing how blackface was acceptable for years by some who were so easily incensed by whiteface.
    I have to politely disagree with your assessment. I think people who are sensitive to political correctness go both ways with it. I'm Cherokee and Swedish, and depending on the context, both whiteface and blackface offends me. As long as the Wayans brothers don't cry racism at Robert Downey Junior's blackface character, then it's fine. But what's good for one person is good for everyone. All's fair.

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post

Yeah, I saw Soul Man as a kid and thought it was kind of funny, too. But as you get older you realize how bad it is. I mean, C. Thomas Howell didn't even look remotely black, so to have people in the movie think he was black didn't even make sense. At least, Robert Downy Jr. looks somewhat black.

This actually reminds me of a show that Ice Cube produced on some cable channel a year or so ago where they had a black and white family switch places. The show made up the white family to look black, and the black family to look white and had them experience things from the other side of the fence. The little I saw of it was pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkly View Post
    I have to politely disagree with your assessment. I think people who are sensitive to political correctness go both ways with it. I'm Cherokee and Swedish, and depending on the context, both whiteface and blackface offends me. As long as the Wayans brothers don't cry racism at Robert Downey Junior's blackface character, then it's fine. But what's good for one person is good for everyone. All's fair.

I was referring to the people surrounding me in that theater at that time, not anyone else. I was in what is, arguably, one of the most racist state in the union, Mississippi.

I have to politely disagree with your interpretation. For that small group of people in that particular situation, many of whom I knew personallyor enough to know to stay the hell away from, as this was a small town, I knew they had no problem with racism directed towards minorities and,in fact, spread it themselves. That they were offended and felt slighted due to their skin color was the reason I was laughing, because they were getting a dose of their own medicine and could not handle it. Unless you were in that theater at that time and know any of the people who were there, arguing the assessment of that environment is a moot point.

However, I will say that people as a whole are going to find both whiteface and blackface disgusting. I did not find the Wayans funny at all in that movie and thought they were being just as racist as Al Jolson.

This is not about being politically correct, per se. Being politically correct means giving the truth kindly and gently, or coddling as I see it. There is no truth to blackface or whiteface. It is basically taking rude, deplorable falsehoods spread about another race and using them in vain comedic pursuits.

It's just like when the Wayans brothers did White Chicks, they were two black guys in 'whiteface.'
    That was not offensive to me at all (as a white person)..... I just thought it was stupid.

Yeah, I saw Soul Man as a kid and thought it was kind of funny, too. But as you get older you realize how bad it is. I mean, C. Thomas Howell didn't even look remotely black, so to have people in the movie think he was black didn't even make sense. At least, Robert Downy Jr. looks somewhat black.
    No kidding! It was ridiculous, just like another movie that came out around the same time called "Just One of the Guys" or something like that. It was like Soul Man, but instead it was a girl posing as a guy. She looked nothing like a guy-- like people in real life would actually fall for that!

It's amazing how dumb some of these movies are.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    That was not offensive to me at all (as a white person)..... I just thought it was stupid.

No kidding! It was ridiculous, just like another movie that came out around the same time called "Just One of the Guys" or something like that. It was like Soul Man, but instead it was a girl posing as a guy. She looked nothing like a guy-- like people in real life would actually fall for that!

It's amazing how dumb some of these movies are.
    Couldn't agree more, Sweetness. And, yeah, White Chicks was a stupid movie, but I did laugh my ass off. That's one of the reasons why I'm reserving judgement on the Robert Downey movie until it comes out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information