Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Quentin Tarantino shades Ben Affleck, ‘True Detective’ & white supremacy

I was repelled by Pulp Fiction; especially the scene with Marcellus down in the basement with those two nasty hillbillies...but I kind of liked Jackie Brown.
    greysfang likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I was repelled by Pulp Fiction; especially the scene with Marcellus down in the basement with those two nasty hillbillies...but I kind of liked Jackie Brown.

That scene still haunts me to this day. If its made an impression for this long, I'm going to go with "excellent movie" on that.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

That was a very shocking scene. Sometimes, a scene threatens to overwhelm the whole movie. And Pulp Fiction had more than one scene like that - like when Jackson drives over a road bump and Travolta splatters that poor guy's brains all over the car. Then, Tarantino dropping the "N" bomb like 20 times in the very next scene. Even so, it wasn't enough to spoil the movie for me.

Another film that had a similar unexpected rape scene - "Deliverance" - truly shocking and preceded Pulp Fiction by 20 years. Even though the movie is practically a masterpiece, it is pretty much defined by that scene.
    BITTER and greysfang like this.

Ned Beatty said he would get called out by people on the street asking him to "squeal like a pig". It almost traumatized him, the relentless teasing he got for that scene.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Ned Beatty said he would get called out by people on the street asking him to "squeal like a pig". It almost traumatized him, the relentless teasing he got for that scene.
    I believe it. I don't think he knew what he was in for when he accepted the role. I've read about the movie, and both Beatty and Ronny Cox (the guy who plays the banjo with the inbred kid) were both primarily stage actors and this was really their first big film.

Bronze Member

Deliverance really marked me. Can't say any Tarantino films have. They always seem like live action cartoons to me, the characters so exaggerated I can never identify with them.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.

I love Tarantino movies. The violence is exaggerated to show how absurd it is.

One of my favorite Tarantino scenes is in Kill Bill (volume 1). The scene where Uma and Lui swordfight in the snow. It's crazy beautiful with serene moments and of course, a violent end. To have all those elements and the emotions they evoke, in one scene is film magic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post

Another film that had a similar unexpected rape scene - "Deliverance" - truly shocking and preceded Pulp Fiction by 20 years. Even though the movie is practically a masterpiece, it is pretty much defined by that scene.
    The book is a masterpiece.
    Clubber Lang, Beeyotch and SHELLEE like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    That scene still haunts me to this day. If its made an impression for this long, I'm going to go with "excellent movie" on that.
    I feel that way about Chuck Palahniuk's Haunted, damn good story telling.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I love that movie. Juliette Lewis is everything when she let's the crazy out.
    Like when she simpers and bats her eyelashes as she asks the gas station kid in that exaggerated Southern accent of hers "are you flirtin' with meeee???"--right before she blows him away. Absolutely brilliant. I love that movie. Robert Downey Jr. was amazing too.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post

One of my favorite Tarantino scenes is in Kill Bill (volume 1). The scene where Uma and Lui swordfight in the snow. It's crazy beautiful with serene moments and of course, a violent end. To have all those elements and the emotions they evoke, in one scene is film magic to me.

The book is a masterpiece.
    Both episodes of "Kill Bill" constitute my all-time favorite Tarantino.

Guilty pleasure Tarantino project: "From Dusk Till Dawn".... Every performance a total winner. I love Harvey Keitel playing a nerdy, earnest little guy. Perfect casting against type or whatever. Tarantino was unpleasantly good in his role, ugh.

I'm not sure I want to see any film about white supremacists, though.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I love that scene. It is so beautifully shot.

But the most amazing scene in the movie to me is inside the House of Blue Leaves when Beatrix yells out for O-Ren and tells her they have unfinished business. She cuts off Sophie's arm and the patrons runs out screaming. The scene where everyone runs by her screaming as Beatrix walks slowly toward the stairs, then tilts her head at O-Ren to challenge her is a truly amazing scene. It's one of my favorite movie scenes ever. The music, the vivid colors, the tension between the women is just fantastic. Kill Bill is on my top 10 movies list.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

I love QT but you know how they say "Never meet your heroes"? On a bad day I'm afraid he'd be dismissive at best, and I'd be heartbroken. I love Kill Bill , though. Like someone mentioned before, the O-ren fight in the snow was beautiful. It was also kinda funny in the interview how he was making fun of movies for having good-looking people, and he is in love with Uma's looks and cast her. Don't blame him; it just gave me a chuckle.

Elite Member

Kill Bill 1 & 2 are two of my top fav's easily. Those scene's you all mentioned were phenomenal but my favorite was when Beatrix and the Black Mamba finally meet in the trailer and Uma plucks her eye out... Perfection. Dressing up as Breatrix Kiddo was the greatest Halloween costume I ever got to rock.

And From Dusk 'Til Dawn- Selma Hayek was smoldering smokin' hot in it.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

It seems I'm in the minority here, but I hated Kill Bill 1. It was pure B-movie schlock, but with an A film budget and production values. It was stylish and sleek to be sure, but deeply stupid.

Kill Bill 2
    was much better. If Tarantino had not been too in love with his own work to cut out a bunch of nonsense and pare it down to a single film, it could have been really good. And, whether it's fair or not, I blame him every time what should have been a single long movie is released in multiple parts. I loved Reservoir Dogs and really enjoyed Pulp fiction the first time I watched it (the second time bored me) but I've had little patience for Tarantino since then.
    KittyLittle likes this.

From Dusk till Dawn is one of my all time favorites as is Natural Born Killers. Rodney Dangerfield played that sick fuck father to perfection.
    CornFlakegrl likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

The book [Deliverance] is a masterpiece.
    I'd like to read it. You probably know this already, but I wanted to point out that the author of Deliverance (James Dickey) plays the sheriff at the end of the movie. He did a great, subtle job, but that was the last time he acted in a film.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    It seems I'm in the minority here, but I hated Kill Bill 1. It was pure B-movie schlock, but with an A film budget and production values. It was stylish and sleek to be sure, but deeply stupid.

Kill Bill 2
    was much better. If Tarantino had not been too in love with his own work to cut out a bunch of nonsense and pare it down to a single film, it could have been really good. And, whether it's fair or not, I blame him every time what should have been a single long movie is released in multiple parts. I loved Reservoir Dogs and really enjoyed Pulp fiction the first time I watched it (the second time bored me) but I've had little patience for Tarantino since then.
    If I remember correctly, Kill Bill was originally one movie, but Tarantino could not bring himself to edit it down to a traditional length. It's kind of ironic that it resulted in two movies that people sometimes feel very differently about.

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber Lang View Post
    Kill Bill 1 & 2 are two of my top fav's easily. Those scene's you all mentioned were phenomenal but my favorite was when Beatrix and the Black Mamba finally meet in the trailer and Uma plucks her eye out...
    That was another one of those trademark shock Tarantino scenes, because about two seconds later, Beatrix squishes Mamba's eyeball between her toes.

The scene where a blind Mamba is then raving out in the trailer REALLY reminds of Daryl Hannah's death scene in "Bladerunner", to the point where I wonder if Tarantino did that deliberately.

My favorite Kill Bill scene was the fight between Gogo Yubare and Beatrix. That mace that Gogo was swinging was pretty epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    Guilty pleasure Tarantino project: "From Dusk Till Dawn".... Every performance a total winner. I love Harvey Keitel playing a nerdy, earnest little guy. Perfect casting against type or whatever. Tarantino was unpleasantly good in his role, ugh.
    I feel kind of guilty saying I liked the film, too. It seems like one of the few films where Tarantino is kind of restrained in a role. Plus Salma dancing in a bikini. Plus legendary special effect gore dude Tom Savini (Dawn of the Dead, and many other movies) was in a prominent role.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information