Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prince William to propose to Kate Middleton at Christmas 2008 (Summer 2009 wedding)

Hit By Ban Bus!

Snobbery is thriving in Britain -- if you believe the upper-class scorn poured on Kate Middleton's mother after Prince William broke up with his middle-class commoner sweetheart.
    "This country is riven by the class system. It is more alive than it has ever been," the Daily Mirror's royal correspondent James Whitaker said after the separation was announced at the weekend.
    "The problem was the mother. I don't think it was Kate. When she met the queen, Carol Middleton said 'Pleased to meet you' and asked where the toilet was," Whitaker told Reuters.
    The genteel would normally say "How do you do?" and talk about going to the lavatory.
    But Mrs Middleton was said to have committed the ultimate faux pas when invited last December to attend William's graduation ceremony at the elite Sandhurst military academy.
    "Nobody could believe it when she chewed gum throughout," Whitaker said.
    Britain was long renowned for having one of the world's most rigid class systems, but the age of deference has now passed and politicians vie with each other to promote the merits of a classless society.
    Royalty-obsessed mass-circulation newspapers are awash with speculation about why they separated, and many have focused on Kate's mother -- a former airline stewardess.
    Members of William's entourage were said to have complained that Kate was "too common", and to have quipped "Doors to Manual", airline pilot-style, whenever she appeared. Prince William's break-up:snobbery under spotlight | UK | Reuters
    Last edited by ingi; March 25th, 2008 at 02:30 PM.

Poor guy has had his entire life planned out for him.

Elite Member

I watched the 20/20 special on the royal family and was fascinated by it. It just seems so stiff & boring and love-less and something I would hate to be born into.

So what that the mom chewed gum are you kidding me.

Quote Originally Posted by happy8 View Post
    So what that the mom chewed gum are you kidding me.
    Chewing gum isn't considered polite in many places. Children aren't allowed to chew gum in school, and most schools are pretty casual. If you are invited to travel in certain circles, it is merely good manners to follow the protocol.

I would imagine the mother would have been briefed ahead of time about how to behave, even if it was just Kate telling her what to do.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

ugly ppl make ugly kids

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

They'll marry and he'll have a mistress and the Firm will make damn sure she knows what she's in for. No more messy Diana crap for them.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    Chewing gum isn't considered polite in many places. Children aren't allowed to chew gum in school, and most schools are pretty casual. If you are invited to travel in certain circles, it is merely good manners to follow the protocol.
    ^^I get that and one of my biggest pet peeves is people that snap their gum while chewing it. Drives me insane!

However, my point was to write someone off because they chewed gum is silly.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    They'll marry and he'll have a mistress and the Firm will make damn sure she knows what she's in for. No more messy Diana crap for them.
    I think they are already teaching her since she got royal guards least week for the first time on holiday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information