Page 9 of 83 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
Like Tree3248Likes

Thread: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are engaged or married or something

Are you sure you get zero tourism dollars from it? When the royals create crowds wherever they go, don't the people have to eat, stay somewhere, attend events, travel, contribute to charity? At the very least, they raise awareness of current issues. I appreciate that there are huge groups of anti-monarchists but it's the same (arguably worse) with politicians.
    Kittylady likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Not sure how the tourism dollars work for the Commonwealth countries, I didnt think Australia received anything. I found this old article about the Royals visiting Australia a few years ago

The Queen will be visiting Australia in October — but don't expect the tour to be cheap. Meanwhile, Canadians are up in arms about paying for the Canadian leg of William and Kate's honeymoon. David Donovan reports.

The Queen's tour blew the budget when last in Australia
    When the Queen last visited, for the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne, the Australian taxpayer paid $1.8M for the brief tour. It was $1.4M over budget.

The figures were revealed under the Senate Estimates procedures.

Prime Minister and Cabinet Department Assistant Secretary, Frank Leverett, told the Committee that royal visits are always lavish affairs. It appears this one was particularly so, being $1.4M over the departmental budget. When the head of state visits, we obviously spare no expense.

“Royal visits are always a high expenditure item,” said Mr Leverett in response to a question from the Senate Committee.

“$1.4M was the shortfall in the program and that was the shortfall of the entire administrative funding for the Department,” he said.

Now, with the expensive flood and cyclone clean-up and repairs to infrastructure required for Queensland and elsewhere forcing the Government to impose a new taxpayer levy, we can only hope the Queen and her entourage will keep their visit brief and try to keep their expenses within reasonable limits.

Canadian republicans worry about paying for William and Kate's honeymoon

In Canada, republicans are up-in-arms to hear that newlyweds Prince William and Kate Middleton will visit Canada later this summer in an all-expenses-paid-for honeymoon funded solely by the Canadian taxpayer.

The main Canadian republican group, Citizens for a Canadian Republic (CCR), has questioned why Canadian taxpayers should be required to pay for visits by the Queen's family who have no Constitutional role in Canada.

"As outrageously expensive as it is, it's one thing to pay for the Queen to come to Canada, but to also pay for her children and grandchildren to visit makes no sense," said Tom Freda, national director of Citizens for a Canadian Republic

"These people are not diplomats or heads of state, they're just celebrities," he said.

"Canadian taxpayers should no more pay to have this famous couple visit Canada then to pay for Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie or David and Victoria Beckham."

Australia has the same system in which the Australian Government pays for tours to Australia by any member of the Queen's family with the designation HRH.

Canadians appear to be turning off the royals though. In a national opinion poll conducted in November, 2010, 61 per cent of Canucks said they believe the monarchy should not have any formal role in Canadian society because the royals are "simply celebrities and nothing more".

Using Access to Information data on previous royal visits, along with anticipated expenses by the provinces, CCR has estimated that the 8-day royal visit will cost an estimated CAD$500,000 to CAD$700,000 (same AUD) per day or roughly CAD$4-6 million in total.

Due to the economic downturn, Canada has recently had Government programmes slashed in all areas, causing Canadian outrage at this unnecessary extra expense.

"How can spending unnecessary millions on this royal visit be justified?" said Tom Freda.

https://independentaustralia.net/australia/australia-display/australian--and-canadian--royal-tours-to-cost-millions,3227

The Daily Mail's description of Meghan Markle's Mom in yet another pointless article.

"Doria is the great-great-great granddaughter of a slave, who took the name Wisdom when it was abolished in America."

Harry asked Meghan's mother about marriage 'in September' | Daily Mail Online

O/T --levitt, many congratulations!

i enjoyed the interview they did.
    Mrs P likes this.

I don't know why, but I'm looking forward to this wedding. I wanna see what Meghan's dress is gonna look like. It's a shame Harry's balding. He's an otherwise handsome ginge.
    Mrs P, HWBL and Penelope like this.
    I'll bet Goopy is steam cleaning the fuck out of that vagina!-MsDark

I just want to see the hats. Remember that toilet seat monstrosity?
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

The royals' job is to be an attraction. Like zoo animals. And for that, the zookeepers (tax payers) must feed them. The Queen's exhibition might be a busy place with lots of ribbon cuttings and waves, but it's no more important to the zoo than Will and Kate's cage filled with little babies that people like to stare at. It's all shades of the same grey to me.

They make bank. That is their job.
    twitchy2.0, rollo, tulip and 2 others like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

*wonders what a royal toilet seat monstrosity hat looks like*
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one who can't remember that.

I just remember the York sisters and their awful hats and dresses at Will and Kate's wedding. I don't know who dressed them but they should be fired and also awarded a medal for the best laugh of the day.

This is totally inappropriate for this thread but the talk about a toilet (loo) and the York sisters (nothing personal) reminded me of the Battleshits scene from Harold and kumar.
    Mrs P likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    like so:

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one who can't remember that.

I just remember the York sisters and their awful hats and dresses at Will and Kate's wedding. I don't know who dressed them but they should be fired and also awarded a medal for the best laugh of the day.
    You do remember! We're just describing it differently. See, I look at that thing and see a toilet seat with a bow on it. The lid is on her head and the seat is up in the air.
    arie_skop, aggie, deenz and 1 others like this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks like two alien sperms trying to get up that thang.

And that's why you never sit directly on a public toilet seat: alien sperm.

I thought everyone knew that.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.

i will never forget that hat lol

Page 9 of 83 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread Information