Page 8 of 80 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast
Like Tree3080Likes

Thread: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are engaged or married or something

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Because islands are theoretically closed ecosystems, and new pests or organisms can't naturally reach them without human introduction. That means they are more sensitive to introduction of any foreign pathogen (organism/bacteria/virus), which can change and damage the ecosystem drastically.
    I also think it's an example of leveraging that natural protection of being an island. As opposed to the US, with two HUGE and common borders that people pass through all the time without going through customs, etc.

When we flew to Australia in 2001, the US had just gone through foot-and-mouth disease with cattle. Australia had everyone who was deplaning and staying in Australia have their shoes checked for residue or something that would indicate we might be tracking it in.

Being an island, Great Britain has very strict quarantine rules for dogs. They have to spend 6 months in quarantine, away from family, even if all their vaccinations are up to date, which is pretty standard worldwide for rabies control. That's just too much for an older dog, even if they could manage to provide a private, comfortable 1st class flying situation.
    Pets don't have to be quarantined when entering the UK unless you fail to follow all of the required preparations or fail to have the correct documentation. You need to know the rules, follow them, and provide the appropriate documentation or your pet will face a 4 month quarantine. The rules cover things like vaccinations, blood tests, micro-chips, documentation required, etc.

She was able to get her other dog into the country and into her new home within days of arriving herself, which is itself a requirement (the animal can't arrive more than 5 days after the owner). With an older dog, it's possible the travel itself would be too risky, or it could be that an existing medical condition makes the required vaccinations harmful. For example, older animals can develop kidney disease, and vaccines can be very hard on the kidneys, especially if you have to have multiple vaccinations in a short time frame.
    Trixie and Mrs P like this.
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

That's weird, when I was moving to Spain 10 years ago and researching requirements for my dog, I happened to run across info that said quarantine was mandatory for the UK. I remember thinking it's good we weren't moving there. Maybe I was wrong or things change.

If we ended up moving to Norway, which is somewhat on the table for discussion right now, i have one cat that I probably would not be able to take with me because he is older. He has proof of rabies vaccination, but there is also a requirement for tapeworm treatment even if the pet tests negative, and that treatment would be risky for him.

And yes, i have friends and family that would care for him if we decided to move, but I'd rather cut off a leg and leave it behind.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    If we ended up moving to Norway, which is somewhat on the table for discussion right now, i have one cat that I probably would not be able to take with me because he is older. He has proof of rabies vaccination, but there is also a requirement for tapeworm treatment even if the pet tests negative, and that treatment would be risky for him.

And yes, i have friends and family that would care for him if we decided to move, but I'd rather cut off a leg and leave it behind.
    If you do move there, do you think you might get one of those cool Norwegian Forest Cats? Those are some of the most beautiful animals I've ever seen.
    Kittylady likes this.

I'd love one, but I don't know if they would make good indoor cats, and that's all I've ever had.
    MohandasKGanja and SHELLEE like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

That's weird, when I was moving to Spain 10 years ago and researching requirements for my dog, I happened to run across info that said quarantine was mandatory for the UK. I remember thinking it's good we weren't moving there. Maybe I was wrong or things change.
    The rules have changed over the years. They used to have a strict quarantine, but now it's not necessary as long as you follow the rules. A friend of mine went through it when she moved back to the UK last year. She was so worried that she'd screw something up and her dog would be locked up that I think she ended up finding a company that helped her make sure everything was done properly.
    Beeyotch likes this.
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

Quote Originally Posted by BrowFilla View Post

Honestly, I dont even know what Will does besides greet and meet. lol Though I dont really follow him that much.

Harry is more interesting.
    Harry isn't doing anything else either .

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    Sorry guys! Iíve had such a hectic couple of months. Iím a big fan of sapphire rings as itís my birthstone and my Nana had one. I did put it on Facebook so I think some people might know!

Here you go:
    LOVE IT! My engagement ring was a vintage emerald with two European cut diamonds. I still refer to it as "my precious".
    fgg, levitt, twitchy2.0 and 4 others like this.

I don't know, isn't the entire royal family's only purpose to attract tourists? I may be wrong, but from what I know the Queen is a mere figurehead and is not involved in making laws or running the country nor anything else useful, same for the rest of them. Even if they make lots of charity appearances, they don't actually "do" anything except stand around and converse and then go home to their castle. It's not like they are at hospital emptying bed pans and giving meds to people.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Being an island, Great Britain has very strict quarantine rules for dogs. They have to spend 6 months in quarantine, away from family, even if all their vaccinations are up to date, which is pretty standard worldwide for rabies control. That's just too much for an older dog, even if they could manage to provide a private, comfortable 1st class flying situation.
    Ugh, something is up with my computer where I can't edit my last post. Sorry for the multi posting.

Actually, the UK no longer needs quarantine for dogs, cats and ferrets from the US. It's a lengthy and expensive process to get approval, but at least they're not in quarantine for six months alone. I'm trying to recall what the cost was for a rabies blood test for my ferrets when I went to the UK in 2005. Something crazy like $700? At the time, only one lab was approved at some university, I want to think in Atlanta? It took six months here in the states to do all the testing, paperwork, vet visits, pet implant chips, etc. I think their plane ticket was more expensive than mine. RIP Slash and Homer!

Completely agree but still think it's laughable that as long as she has a busy charity calendar it's ok that taxes subsidize their pampered, privileged existence.

These people are already rich AF, they shouldn't get any tax support at all.
    The US pays more in taxes towards our Presidents (they do have a pension after being President) than the UK pays towards their royals.
    C_is_for_Cookie and Kittylady like this.

^I hate to defend tax subsidies for anyone over middle class income levels, but presidents actually had a job and political responsibilities. Unlike royals.
    czb and Mrs P like this.

The Royals bring in a lot of money tourism wise. They cost about 60p a year per person in the UK. I just can't get worked up about that personally.

I agree. It's funny how the people getting worked up about it are not even in the UK.

THIS is how much the royals EARNED for British tourism this year

The royal family brought in a substantial sum for the national tourism industry this year, according to a new report.

By FRANCESCA SPECTER
    PUBLISHED: 16:30, Mon, Nov 20, 2017 | UPDATED: 16:44, Mon, Nov 20, 2017

Getty
    The royal family are of huge benefit to the UK tourist industryThe royal family brought in £550 million a year for British tourism in the past year alone, according to a report from Brand Finance.
    This is based on how much the British monarchy has benefitted UK travel financially, through increasing the number of people from abroad who travel to the UK and spend money here.
    The figure is up from £535 million in 2015, according to figures from the same organisation.
    It has grown consistently since 2010, when it was a still impressive £500 million, or half a billion pounds.

Getty
    Tourists flock to London to visit Royal Warrant sights, like Fortnum & MasonTourists from Brazil, Russia and Malaysia are most likely to visit places linked to the Royals, according to one survey.
    Foreign visitors will flock to Westminster Abbey, which saw the wedding of Prince William to Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge,
    The large Gothic abbey church, which has been part of British history for almost 1,000 years, attracted 1.82 visitors in 2016.
    They will also visit St Paul’s Cathedral, the site of the wedding of the Prince of Wales and Diana, Princess of Wales, which attracted 1.52 million visitors in 2016.
    Getty
    The royal family hold a special appeal for those from Brazil, Russia and MalaysiaNew stamps issued to commemorate 70th wedding anniversary of Queen and Prince Philip

Sat, November 18, 2017The Royal Mail have released a set of stamps to commemorate the 70th Wedding Anniversary of The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. The six-stamp set features paired images from their engagement period, wedding and honeymoon

The findings also take into account tourism profits from restaurants, hotels and retail stores that hold a Royal Warrant.
    A Royal Warrant is an accolade for organisations who have supplied goods or services for five years or more to the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh or the Prince of Wales.
    Hotels that have received a Royal Warrant include The Goring, based in Belgravia, London, and the Ritz, based in Piccadilly, London.
    Fortnum & Mason, a luxury department store in Piccadilly famed for its selection of loose leaf tea and picnic hampers, is also a royal favourite.

David Haigh, chief executive of Brand Finance, said Britons would be surprised by the low cost per person of running the monarchy – on average 1p a day for each person in the UK.
    “[The monarchy] may be a quirky, anomalous, slightly unfair organisation, but economically it is definitely a beneficial one.
    “A significant proportion of these costs is in fact incurred by residence maintenance, staff salaries and travel expenditures required by any head of state.
    “The monarchy is Britain’s national treasure, both symbolically and economically.”

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/art...-industry-2017
    arie_skop and Kittylady like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    I agree. It's funny how the people getting worked up about it are not even in the UK.
    I'm in Canada - part of the Commonwealth - and I do support the Royals involuntarily through my tax money and we get zero tourism dollars from it. I don't particularly care, but its not only people in the UK that "support" them. There are huge groups of anti-monarchists here...

Frankly, the Royals aren't a normal family who can choose what's best for their family like (collective) you and I. Harry has said it for years - he can't (couldn't) find a suitable mate who'd also "be good at the job". It's a job to be a Royal.
    arie_skop likes this.

Page 8 of 80 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread Information