Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Portishead slams Prince after last minute inclusion to Coachella Music Festival

Chasing Demri around our house in her walker!

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    note to portishead, whoever the hell he is: dude, you are nobody! note to Prince: I think you are God!
    As Grimm pointed out, Portishead is a millions-selling super-talented, extremely creative (NOBODY else sounds like them), very successful band, with a large legion of EXTREMELY dedicated fans. And they happen to be my favorite band in the world; i'd give my left arm to hear Beth Gibbons & Geoff Barrow (the leaders of the band) sing live.

Prince--meh...never could understand his appeal at all; don't like his voice or any of his songs. Couldn't PAY me to see him. He was relevant when i was a little kid, and he paled in comparison to Michael Jackson. Just my opinion.
    My precious baby girl:
    ~ Demri Elizabeth-June ~
    Arrived July 19th. 6 lbs.,5 oz.; 19.5". BEAUTIFUL !

Hit By Ban Bus!

Some footage of Prince (& Sheila E on drums) kicking ass at Coachella. This tiny bastard is incredible. YouTube - Prince - live at Coachella 2008

Why are they so pissed? Who cares if he brings his purple entourage?
    And why can't they do a soundcheck?
    I have seen the purple midget live and he is a-m-a-zing.
    They sound awfully bitter.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Morris Day & the Time! hells yeah YouTube - PRINCE - CHOLOVISION - LIVE @ COACHELLA 08

prince covering creep

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u1ekw3LB0I[/youtube]
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

While I like both artists' work, I have to call Portishead on this one. Without Prince, those tickets would be gathering dust. They should see it as a chance to expand their audience, rather than bitching.

Prince can sell out stadiums and they can't sell out a festival? Some people don't know when to take the hand, bluff, and win!

prince knew exactly what type of crowd he was playing to & he played for them; he's incredibly talented as an entertainer. from what my husband has read on his prince boards, he ROCKED on guitar all show long.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Silver Member SophieOrangeBerry's Avatar

Okaaaaay.. that Prince version of 'creep' was bloody shite.

And yay for Portishead. One of my fav bands. <3
    Darling... Stop confusing me with your wishful thinking....
    Bang goes another kanga on the bonnet of the van...
    Too soon to be out of me bed

Ooh thanks for that Creep youtube link

Chasing Demri around our house in her walker!

Okaaaaay.. that Prince version of 'creep' was bloody shite.

And yay for Portishead. One of my fav bands. <3
    ^^Agreed, Sophie. That version of "Creep", (while i CAN definitely appreciate an all-out jam version of a song with the artist's own interpretation of the song, like what Prince did) just pales in comparison to the almighty Radiohead.--my OTHER favorite band in the whole world. (Yes, i have about, oh, maybe 15 bands that i refer to as "My Favorite Band in the Whole World".)

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    While I like both artists' work, I have to call Portishead on this one. Without Prince, those tickets would be gathering dust. They should see it as a chance to expand their audience, rather than bitching.

Prince can sell out stadiums and they can't sell out a festival? Some people don't know when to take the hand, bluff, and win!
    ^^Totally get what you're saying, Revelling.

But just as an explanation & defense of Portishead, i can see where Geoff Barrow is coming from. First of all, Portishead is mostly an electronic band, with lots of weird sound effects, turn-tabling, samples & stuff that are hard to get just right. (thus the need for a good, long sound check to fine-tune everything.)--as well as the fact that their singer, Beth Gibbons sings in a VERY delicate, falsetto-ish, crystalline way. Without a good sound check her delicate voice could end up not rising above the music, or sounding murky, or something. (Beth's unique, beautiful voice is--one of the things--that makes Portishead so very special & awesome.)

Secondly, Portishead almost NEVER, EVER, EVER plays live gigs. Next to NEVER. They have played very few live concerts in their 14-year career. (due in large part to Beth's intense stage fright, as well as the hardship of duplicating their sound live--which i already discussed.) So, when they DO play a gig, (especially one with as big an audience as Coachella), they DEFINITELY want to get it JUST RIGHT. It's a super-important gig.

They agreed to do the Coachella show based on a certain schedule, with a certain allotted-time period for their all-important sound-check. A big star like Prince suddenly, at the last minute, being put into the time-period which they were supposed to have to do their soundcheck, just screws things up for them.--in that they now don't have enough time to perfect their extremely-complex sound, and the reduced prep-time also probably contributes to Beth's nearly-paralyzing stagefright (knowing that when she goes out on stage to sing, things might be not quite up to par). A live Portishead show just happens to be a rather large production; it takes more prep-time to fine-tune than, say, a run-of-the-mill rock band coming out with their loud guitars & playing. Portishead is not a "spontaneous" type of band; quite the opposite.--as i'm sure you know anyway if you're a fan. :-) (and that finely-detailed prep-work is what makes them so AWESOME live!)

So there's my *little* () thesis/explanation/defense of Geoff Barrow's (of my Favorite Band in the World) comments. Whew...
    Last edited by GoldDust77; April 28th, 2008 at 12:48 PM.
    My precious baby girl:
    ~ Demri Elizabeth-June ~
    Arrived July 19th. 6 lbs.,5 oz.; 19.5". BEAUTIFUL !

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Thank you Golddust!
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Funny ass picture:

Prince Is God!!!!

^^ I love him!

^^ Me too!!

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post

Very well said.

Portishead is being a bit whiny and anal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information