Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Like Tree508Likes

Thread: Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead

Add me to the list of the unsurprised but saddened. Poor bloke. He tried to stay clean, which is more than many do.
    manningmsj likes this.

This is sad. Addiction is a bitch.
    I saw DEATH, an anorexic penguin, an overcooked Gollum, Mr. Burns in need of a haircut and a methed-up Riff Raff.--Michael K. on Phil Spector

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Bombshell View Post
    I've read it's so common for recovering addicts to die during a slip up (and actually had a H.S friend just lose a step-daughter to that actual thing). Recovery lowers ones "tolerance", but the ever reclusive search for the same high as the first time is a deadly, deadly mix.

I wonder if that is what happened here. Though is sounds like there are blinds out there suggesting he's been dabbling again for a bit.

Regardless, it's a sad, sad thing. He struck me as someone chock full of inner demons he battled daily.

On a personal note, my husband often reminds me so much of this man (minus the addictions but in the smarts, voice, and slightly the looks department) that I feel a bit more sad than I normally would. I know given my husband has his own demons resulting from high intelligence, bi-polar disorder, a brilliant sense of humor and looks that cause him to be frowned upon by many, I have a minor sense of what PSH was running from.
    I am sorry that you feel this more than some people w/out a PSH-type personality in their lives would.

I have family members who suffer from addiction, bipolar and the ultra, ultra high intelligence that makes some people so brilliant, yet makes them feel like aliens on the inside. I'm married to one of those guys, too. When I get close enough, I can almost feel his inner demons, and I want to smother each and every one of them to bring him peace. Sadly, there is nothing I can do but be there and provide love and support.

Addiction is one of the scariest things out there. Even if in remission, one never knows when it can rear its ugly head. It keeps me super-vigilant about going too far with even a glass of wine with dinner. RIP, Mr. Hoffmann. You will be sorely missed.
    Bombshell likes this.

R.I.P Phil. One of my ultimate favourite actors ever. I love his voice too - so distinctive.
    Bluebonnet, card and Mrs P like this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I wonder whether some of the super-smart people who fall into the trap of drugs etc do so because they inevitably have a very low boredom threshold and drugs can quieten that down or make the mind fizz in a way that seems refreshing during periods of mental inactivity. I have also noticed that these people also seem to have a tendency towards depression and mental illness too. That's not me making excuses, just trying to understand why someone who is particularly gifted in some way can be so dense about other things.

Anyway, this is a sad loss and my thoughts are with his family and those who loved him.
    HWBL, levitt, dexter7 and 2 others like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I would also add overthinking in there. They probably use drugs to get a release from despairing and analysing every little thing.
    Kittylady, dexter7, card and 1 others like this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Yes, this is a death that brings many emotions and feelings. Anger, sadness, grief, disgust, empathy. It's such a fucking waste. And yes, he obviously was one of those people who was only going to be freed from that demon by death alone. He's free now. May he have found peace at last.
    Kittylady, Sarzy, sluce and 3 others like this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(ē_ē)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

It is always sad when people waste the talents they have been given. Like I said, I didn't care for the guy as an actor, but I know a lot of people did enjoy his work. I feel for his children though...such a terrible way for them to lose their Dad.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.

We are losing too many people from this damn disease. We have too many people fighting this damn disease. When I see someone like this die from it...someone who has all the money for all the resources to seek and get the best treatment, it just breaks my heart for my loved one who is fighting it with less to fight with. I know it comes down to the addict who has to say no and fight. It just breaks my heart and rips me apart. RIP Phillip. I hope you have become a guardian angel for the ones still fighting the fight.
    Mel1973 likes this.

Just a terrific actor. I will miss watching him in future films. Heroin sucks kids. So sorry for his family and friends. RIP.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    It is always sad when people waste the talents they have been given.
    Dunno about that. Whatever demons he carried made him who he was and he gave the world a big gift. Don't see a waste. I've seen people live twice as long and not mean a fraction of what he meant to people. That's A Waste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    There's another thread here from last summer right when he got out of rehab. Apparently he was clean for 23 years and then last year slipped up with prescription meds and it started him down the slippery slope to snorting heroin again. He said at the time that he checked into rehab last year after snorting heroin for a week, because he knew how bad it was headed. I had hoped he'd caught himself in time and his recovery had begun again, but obviously things spiraled from there and he slid into shooting up. It's a very sad situation and a big loss.
    I didn't remember this. All the sadder to me. To have had it under control, built this amazing career, beautiful family and then one slip ... It takes over and you are dead.

I loved this guy. LOVED him. So versatile. The first time I saw him he was the gay hanger-on guy with a secret crush on Mark Wahlberg in "Boogie Nights". Was great at the bad guy in MI III. Even in the Hunger Games sequel, I liked him.

From what I heard this morning, they found out he was dead because his kids had not been picked up by him at school, and they went back to his place to see what the problem was. How horrible for his kids.

I know I told this addiction story before -- my cousin told me about her friends' whose son (about 18, I think) was addicted to heroin. He was in a treatment center and when his treatment was completed, there was a mixup, and there was nobody there to pick him up. When they got home, they found him dead from an OD in his childhood bed.
    gas_chick likes this.

^ Loved him as Scotty J. in Boogie Nights. I think that's the first role where I really noticed him too. That and The Talented Mr. Ripley. No matter how small the role, he always stood out.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

So sad.

My favorite role he played was Lester Bangs in Almost Famous. Best scene:

card and Mrs P like this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread Information