Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast
Like Tree509Likes

Thread: Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead

mjw
    Elite Member

Hoffman’s bogus ‘gay lover’: I was drunk

A New Jersey man who allegedly duped the National Enquirer into believing he and Philip Seymour Hoffman were secret gay lovers claimed on Wednesday he was drunk that day and can’t remember what he said.

“As the day went on, I had a bunch of beers in me,” said David Katz, who allowed the Enquirer to believe he was actually Hoffman’s longtime pal, David Bar Katz.

The freelance TV sports producer said he was bombarded with calls on Super Bowl Sunday from reporters looking for the real Katz, who found the actor dead of an overdose that day.

“I don’t remember what I said . . . but the thing about the gay lover? No, not while I was sober anyway. I don’t remember. I don’t think so.”

On Feb. 5, three days after Hoffman died, the Enquirer published a story that claimed David Bar Katz had talked to them — and revealed to the tabloid that he and his late friend were “homosexual lovers” and that he watched Hoffman freebase cocaine and shoot heroin.

David Bar Katz sued for $50 million and scored a big settlement that included a full-page apology ad in Wednesday’s New York Times.

The Enquirer said it “made a good-faith error by publishing an interview with a person who falsely and convincingly claimed to be Mr. [David Bar] Katz.’’

The “real” Katz set up the American Playwriting Foundation in Hoffman’s honor with some of the settlement money.

His lawyer, Judd Burstein, said he intends to sue the alleged imposter Katz, with any proceeds going to the new charity.

“People go to jail for drunk driving,” Burstein blasted. “He is going to lose everything for talking drunk.”

The Jersey Katz also played the part of Bar Katz to a Post reporter the day Hoffman died, saying, “Yes, I was the one who found him. But honestly, right now isn’t the time to talk about this. I don’t really want to think or talk about it right now. ”

On Wednesday, the Jersey man denied he was the one on the phone.

“I absolutely never told anyone my name was David Bar Katz,” he said.

“I swear to you, on God, I never said I was anybody.”

But Katz clearly enjoyed the publicity when he bragged on Facebook on Feb. 11, “If you make it into Cindy Adams’ column in The Post, you’ve made it in New York. “

One pal replied, “This is what happens when you find dead junkies.”

Another wrote, “You still getting traction with this dead actor thing?”

Hoffman’s bogus ‘gay lover’: I was drunk | Page Six

Q: What's 46 years old and sleeps with Katz?

A: Mrs. Katz, but not Philip Seymour Hoffman.
    BITTER likes this.

Great outcome with the Enquirer and something you don't see often. Good to see the money go to something Hoffman cared about. Not sure what I think about them suing the other Katz though. I wonder if they paid him for the story. If not, can you really be sued for bullshitting the National Enquirer? Yes, I think it was a shitty thing to do, but I also think it was up to them to verify who they were talking to before they published it.
    Sylkyn likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Great outcome with the Enquirer and something you don't see often. Good to see the money go to something Hoffman cared about. Not sure what I think about them suing the other Katz though. I wonder if they paid him for the story. If not, can you really be sued for bullshitting the National Enquirer? Yes, I think it was a shitty thing to do, but I also think it was up to them to verify who they were talking to before they published it.
    It would probably still qualify as slander or libel. The weird part about it is that he would be committing libel while pretending to be the target of the libel.

The "other Katz" is a major putz, but it was the Enquirer who found him, and not the other way around. I think the lawyer sounds like a POS for threatening to destroy an everyday person who is probably a dumbfuck, and btw the analogy to drunk driving is stupid, because you don't necessarily lose everything for straightforward driving drunk, first offense in NY appears to have serious penalties but nothing life-destroying. And if talking drunk were a crime, every other shitface in my Brooklyn neighborhood would be in lockdown.

So yeah the guy fucked up, it is libel/slander/gross, but the threats are just over the top IMO.

ETA: I also think that where the media have a known professional responsibility to understand copyright and libel laws, the average dumbass citizen probably is rather ignorant. How often has Mr Katz.02 faced these issues in his life, what in his background prepared him to make a fully informed choice, aware of the seriousness of what he was doing? Again, he was a total idiot dickwad, but where I am normally all over being cautious about slander and libel, it's not often that some Jersey yokel is abruptly handed the power of national media to harm someone's reputation. The media handed him that power. So at least it's interesting . . .
    Last edited by Shinola; February 27th, 2014 at 11:03 AM.
    ManxMouse and Trixie like this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Yes it does seem a little over the top and the real Katz has every reason to be pissed off about being impersonated, but I think the whole thing depends on the level of deceit here. The guy says he was getting bombarded by phone calls, did he just make a few drunken bullshit remarks to someone who said they were from the NE, or was this an extensive, in-person, paid interview. I suspect it was the former. (And if it was the latter, my opinion would most likely change)

I dunno, again not defending the guy, but he wasn't under oath and ultimately it's the NE's responsibility to verify before they publish. I'm sure they get all kinds of crazies calling them with info that they don't report, because they can't confirm. And yes, this guy didn't call them, they called him. Obviously very sloppy work on their part, they just wanted to be the first out there with the dirt on this story.
    Shinola likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Yes it does seem a little over the top and the real Katz has every reason to be pissed off about being impersonated, but I think the whole thing depends on the level of deceit here. The guy says he was getting bombarded by phone calls, did he just make a few drunken bullshit remarks to someone who said they were from the NE, or was this an extensive, in-person, paid interview. I suspect it was the former. (And if it was the latter, my opinion would most likely change)

I dunno, again not defending the guy, but he wasn't under oath and ultimately it's the NE's responsibility to verify before they publish. I'm sure they get all kinds of crazies calling them with info that they don't report, because they can't confirm. And this guy didn't call them, they called him. Obviously very sloppy work on their part, they just wanted to be the first out there with the dirt on this story.
    Yes, the guy is an asshole, but I can totally see why this happened.

The guys phone is ringing off the hook, he has a drink or ten because it's getting annoying as hell. Eventually the questions just become ridiculous, so he just starts answering like a drunken smart ass.

Was it cool? No. Does he deserve to "lose everything" because it happened....meh. Not really. Should he feel like a twat of the first order? Yes.
    Shinola, Trixie, stef and 1 others like this.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    ETA: I also think that where the media have a known professional responsibility to understand copyright and libel laws, the average dumbass citizen probably is rather ignorant. How often has Mr Katz.02 faced these issues in his life, what in his background prepared him to make a fully informed choice, aware of the seriousness of what he was doing? Again, he was a total idiot dickwad, but where I am normally all over being cautious about slander and libel, it's not often that some Jersey yokel is abruptly handed the power of national media to harm someone's reputation. The media handed him that power. So at least it's interesting . . .
    Maybe he can sue the NE too, if they didn't inform him that he could be sued for libel if he wasn't telling the truth.

mjw
    Elite Member

Philip Seymour Hoffman's official cause of death has been established nearly four weeks after his death. The late actor, 46 when he passed away earlier this month, died of "accidental acute mixed drug intoxication, including heroin, cocaine, benzodiazepines, and amphetamine," the New York City Office of the Chief Medical Examiner confirmed to Us Weekly on Friday, Feb. 28.
    PHOTOS: Philip Seymour Hoffman's greatest film roles
    As previously reported, Hoffman was found dead with a hypodermic needle in his arm on Feb. 2. Police said at the time that as many as 65 bags of unused heroin were found in his West Village apartment; there were also used syringes, prescription drugs, and drug paraphernalia.
    PHOTOS: Stars gone too soon
    An initial autopsy on the Oscar winner's body just days after his death produced inconclusive results. At the time, a spokesperson for the medical examiner's office said that cause of death was "pending further studies," including a full toxicology report.
    PHOTOS: Celebrity rehab centers
    Hoffman's history with addiction was well-known. In May 2013, he entered rehab for a 10-day stint after relapsing following more than 23 years of sobriety.
    He is survived by his three children, son Cooper and daughters Tallulah and Willa, with partner Mimi O'Donnell.

Read more: Philip Seymour Hoffman Cause of Death: Acute Mixed Drug Intoxication - Us Weekly
    Follow us: @usweekly on Twitter | usweekly on Facebook

coke, heroin, benzodiazepines, and amphetamine.

Helluva party.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

Helluva party.

And he was going to pick up his kids from school.
    rollo likes this.

After his death, 60 Minutes re-aired an interview with him from 2006 I think, where he talked about his addiction issues and when asked what he was into, he kinda laughed and said "anything I could get my hands on." I guess that was still true.

Wouldn't heroin be enough to get you where you want to be?

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

Helluva party.
    But at least it was accidental....
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ikmccall View Post
    And he was going to pick up his kids from school.
    Yeah, really. It's not that bad.

Thread Information