Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425 LastLast
Like Tree509Likes

Thread: Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead

Well, yeah, but that was him and not the place.

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    Well, yeah, but that was him and not the place.
    Exactly. Most likely he would have been an addict even if he was raised in Whitebread, Ohio...
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Well, wasn't Hoffman raised in NYC? Didn't necessarily do HIM a whole lotta good.
    There are people who have been born and raised in LA, and they turned out ok. And lots of folk from NYC who did not. He's one of them - he was exposed to drugs and alcohol. What made him think that keeping his kid from LA will keep him on the straight and narrow?
    i don't think that was the reason why he wanted them raised in those cities. it was more about the culture that you're exposed to in new york, san francisco and chicago, that you aren't really exposed to in a lot of other american cities. i mean, if i had to choose where to raise kids in the US and could afford it, i would also choose those cities as well. philadelphia isn't bad either. and dc and boston have some culture too but they're kinda stuffy.
    you can become a junkie anywhere but at least in new york you'll be a sophisticated junkie
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Houston is full of culture, sad it didn't make the list.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Silver Member

Why do these celebs never update their will after each child, I don't get it.

^ Don't normally people do that ? If your will says all my assets got to child A and then child B and C and D come along that would be a nightmare in court . With each child I would think that a new trust/estate would be created and it would need to be spelled out in the will

Quote Originally Posted by choozen1ne View Post
    ^ Don't normally people do that ? If your will says all my assets got to child A and then child B and C and D come along that would be a nightmare in court . With each child I would think that a new trust/estate would be created and it would need to be spelled out in the will
    okay I can't read I didn't see the never in there and now I feel like an ass ,sorry
    Last edited by Tati; February 22nd, 2014 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by choozen1ne View Post

That is usually covered in the will. A lot of times it mentions the first child and will say something like "...and any other children born ".
    For instance my father in law stated (and this is legally binding) his Trust would cover ony blood kin. No adopted children,just his biological children and grandchildren. But all future blood kin grandchildren were covered in case some were born after his death. Every court date at the beginning had to have and ad litem lawyer there to represtent any unborn children. Stupid,because both his children were in their 40's. I suppose my husband could have fathered a child late,but did not. Lawyers in general (and I am sure Phillip had a good one) will cover any eventuality.
    In my father in laws case,he made sure no spouse would inherit. Only his direct family. He was wise since my SIL 's first husband turned out to be a jerk. He had no claim to her Trust.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Bronze Member

I don't get it either why he didn't update his will. I know it doesn't matter in his case and all his kids are going to be well cared for, but it just looks wrong. I mean, he wrote the will 10 years ago, and in all this time since then, he couldn't find a day or two to update and include his daughters, too? And especially when he started using again. He was an intelligent man (from what I've read) aand he should have known he was now at a bigger risk of dying young. But no.
    In my country, there is a law that says that, no matter what your will says (if you have one), half of your assets go evenly to your legal descendants. That means, you can have 3 children, but state in your will that you leave everything to the child A. Well, the state gives 50% to that child, and another 50 is divided between A, B and C. This is to prevent people from leaving everything only to their sons, and not their daughters.

In this country the ONLY way the state can decide is if you do not leave a will. He did.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    That did cross my mind that someone pretended to be him. I think the details were probably pretty correct, maybe it was a so called 'friend' of David who tricked them. That's a pretty bad mistake to make for the NE though.
    On another note I didn't like seeing the photos of Philip's kids at his funeral. Way too intrusive. Heartbreaking pictures.
    It crossed my mind too that someone faked being David. I'm assuming that whoever it was was paid. How did they pay? With a cheque? A money order? If its a cheque, then the person may be found when he goes to be cashed.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Does something like that have any kind of legal binding?
    the way i understand it, no.

when we went to the attorney to set up our wills, the attorney said you can make recommendations about some things (eg, private school, place to live, etc) but those are not enforcable. basically, you need to express your desires privately to the person who gets custody and hope they honor it. they should, as you requested them to be the guardian. so i don't see the big deal here. PSH *asked* that they remain in NY, or at least visit/live in other cities *if* that is not possible.

My parents have yet to update their will from when I was 18 even though they keep meaning too. I really don't want custody of my sisters anymore.
    Last edited by gas_chick; February 25th, 2014 at 09:45 AM.
    sluce and dexter7 like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Truth and a Prize Emerge From Lies About Hoffman

Herding his three younger sons out the door to school on Feb. 5, David Bar Katz was stopped for a moment by his eldest, who was browsing a computer.

“My 14-year-old said, ‘Dad, there’s something online about you and Phil being lovers,’ ” Mr. Katz said. “I said, ‘Phil would get a kick out of that.’ ”

Phil was Philip Seymour Hoffman, the actor and Mr. Katz’s good friend, who had been found dead three days earlier, apparently from an overdose of heroin. Mr. Katz, a playwright, was one of two people who had gone to his apartment and discovered his body.

“Things had already achieved the maximum level of surreality, and I thought this thing online was a big nothing,” Mr. Katz said.

In fact, the article, published by The National Enquirer, was the first pebble of a landslide of malignant fiction that sprawled across the web.

It quoted Mr. Katz as saying he and Mr. Hoffman were lovers who had freebased cocaine the night before his death, and said Mr. Katz claimed to have seen him using heroin many times.

“After I dropped the kids at school, I looked at my phone, and I’ve gotten a million calls,” Mr. Katz said. Photographers were stalking him on the street.

Mr. Katz had not spoken with The Enquirer that week, or ever. Mr. Hoffman had never used drugs in his presence, he said, and had spoken often with him about addiction and his pursuit of sobriety. In a matter of hours, Mr. Katz signed the complaint in a libel suit. Within two days, The Enquirer had withdrawn the article and apologized.

And on Tuesday, less than three weeks after the article was published, Mr. Katz said he had formed the American Playwriting Foundation, which will give out an annual prize of $45,000 for an unproduced play. In honor of Mr. Hoffman’s dogged pursuit of artistic truth, it will be called the Relentless Award.

The foundation and the prize are being paid for by The Enquirer and its publisher, American Media Incorporated, under a settlement of the lawsuit, said Judd Burstein, the lawyer for Mr. Katz. As part of the agreement, The Enquirer has also bought a full-page advertisement in the main news section of The New York Times on Wednesday. In it, The Enquirer says it was duped by a person claiming to be the same Mr. Katz. Mr. Burstein provided the text of the ad.

The amount of money being paid by The Enquirer will not be disclosed, Mr. Burstein said, adding, “It’s enough for the foundation to give out these grants for years to come.” On Tuesday, he formally filed papers to dismiss the lawsuit.

He noted that Mr. Katz did not receive or seek any personal payments. Mr. Katz, 48, said he was trying to figure out what a meaningful settlement would be to a person as demanding as Mr. Hoffman. “It’s so awful and ludicrous,” he said. “We had talked so often that it’s a tragedy playwrights can’t survive being playwrights — about how nice it would be if you could make your rent and still have an occasional steak.”

Besides Mr. Katz, the selection committee will include the writers Eric Bogosian, John Patrick Shanley and Jonathan Marc Sherman.

Mr. Katz said he and Mr. Hoffman met about 15 years ago through friends in the film world, but became close when their children wound up in the same Greenwich Village school. They would often stop for breakfast after the school drop-off, Mr. Katz said, and one of Mr. Hoffman’s favorite pictures was of the two of them in the Waverly diner in December 2011.

The actor’s final text messages were with Mr. Katz, inviting him to watch the second half of a Knicks game on the last evening of his life. Mr. Katz did not pick up the texts and respond until late that night, but he got no reply from Mr. Hoffman.

“The fact that he wanted me to come over for the Knick game meant that he did not want to be doing the drugs, because he never did them in my presence,” Mr. Katz said. “He once said to me, ‘Addiction is when you do the thing you really, really most don’t want to be doing.’ He was rigorously sober and had an awful relapse.”

Continue reading the main storyMost galling to him about The Enquirer article was the treachery of the “Katz” figure. “The issue was never me being outraged at being accused of being gay — we’re theater guys, who cares?” Mr. Katz said. “The issue was lying about the drugs, that I would betray my friend by telling confidences.”

The Enquirer, which did not respond to a request for comment, has not publicly explained how it came to publish the story. Mr. Burstein said its lawyers described an honest mistake.

“It sounds ridiculous,” Mr. Burstein said. “They did a search and found someone named David Katz who appeared to be the son of David’s father. They asked, ‘Are you the David Katz who is the playwright?’

“They believed him. He sounded distraught. They couldn’t believe that someone would be so callous to say, ‘I’m the real David Katz.’

“From what I understand, it was one senior reporter who worked on it with some researchers. The reporter did the interview and was convinced it was the right person.”

By any measure, it is a lightning reversal of events, which Mr. Katz attributed to insistence by friends that he immediately contact Mr. Burstein. “I probably would have just ignored it and it would have gotten worse and worse and worse,” Mr. Katz said.

As part of the settlement, The Enquirer has provided Mr. Burstein with contact details for the person it interviewed. He intends to sue him. “My goal is to have him living out of a cardboard box,” Mr. Burstein said.

He paused for an instant. “I haven’t filed yet — I have to be sure that I have the right Katz.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/26/ny...anted=all&_r=0
    dexknows likes this.

“The issue was never me being outraged at being accused of being gay — we’re theater guys, who cares?” Mr. Katz said. “

As part of the settlement, The Enquirer has provided Mr. Burstein with contact details for the person it interviewed. He intends to sue him. “My goal is to have him living out of a cardboard box,” Mr. Burstein said.
    He paused for an instant. “I haven’t filed yet — I have to be sure that I have the right Katz.”

I love these two quotes.

Mr. Hoffman had great taste in friends, it looks like.
    dexknows likes this.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

Bronze Member

Nice to hear of a positive out of the salacious and negative. I'm sure PSH approves.

Thread Information