Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree509Likes

Thread: Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead

True,...I'm glad they busted the people involved. Just saying that around here,...the attitude is that another junkie died. No big search to hunt down the people that sell the shit or are putting it out on the streets. Just saying that any life lost to the shit should be just as important.
    Kittylady, sluce and Dorahacky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    Do you think the cops would have even investigated the bad heroin if just a regular Joe had OD'd? It seems like they take it more seriously when it affects a famous person instead of your normal drug user/addict.

It really surprises me that the NE would write this story when they never did interview the guy. Who wants to be sued over the story when they know they out and out lied??? That is a big money loss to them, and I wouldn't think any amount of magazines they would sell with the story will even touch what they will lose.
    First thing my hubs said too..."oh so now they care because someone famous died?"

This thing with the NE kinda surprises me too. Not that I think they're totally legit or anything, but it sounds like they didn't go the "sources say" route, they actually said this info came to them from Katz himself. It will be interesting to see where this lawsuit goes.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I agree the police investigated much more because who it is. But, I also think they were hoping it was the stuff laced with fentanyl so they could get it off the streets. Like I said, in Philly alone, 36 have died in the last month.
    CL** and Beantownfan like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Jeez.....that is a lot of heroin deaths, Sluce.

It's pretty sad when federal agencies are working with drug clinics in Philly to help spread word to junkies that there is a batch of bad heroin and asking them to buy other stuff.
    McJag likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    True,...I'm glad they busted the people involved. Just saying that around here,...the attitude is that another junkie died. No big search to hunt down the people that sell the shit or are putting it out on the streets. Just saying that any life lost to the shit should be just as important.
    Very true Jade!

Bronze Member

I think the fact that he was recognizable is one of the reasons that they were able to investigate. How many overdose deaths are headline news? Someone might witness an apparent drug deal but they can't prove what was going on. They also wouldn't know if the average joe they saw buying drugs later died of an overdose. In this case, it hit the news pretty immediately and there was a witness that could help with an investigation which would lead to the arrests. I'm not saying that every case is investigated the way it should be. I am sure there are plenty of drug overdoses that aren't investigated at all, but it isn't exactly fair to assume that they investigated purely because PSH was famous.
    Shinola likes this.

Well, I'll say this: It isn't the drug dealers that killed PSH. It's the drugs. They will not be going away. And neither will the dealers. This, like any other overdose is just going to be a blip and then it's business as usual.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(ē_ē)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    It's pretty sad when federal agencies are working with drug clinics in Philly to help spread word to junkies that there is a batch of bad heroin and asking them to buy other stuff.
    A junkie is going to try and score no matter what bad stuff is on the street so I'd much rather they do that than let the death toll rise even higher than it otherwise might. While a junkie lives you have to hope that some how, some day they'll reach a point where they start the fight to get clean, for both their sake and the sake of those who love them. That's why I'm heavily in favour of needle exchanges etc.
    Shinola, LameAnn and Mrs P like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I laughed about the NE editor (allegedly ) hanging up on a caller after claiming "as far as I know, it's true". I'm not surprised by the bullshit and exploitation demonstrated by any tabloid, but I look forward to watching Katz make the NE grab it's ankles for naming him instead of using the usual tabloid bullshit-indicator of "sources" and unnamed "close friends" of the celebrity.
    mjw likes this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I notice that some of the newspapers and other places that were quick to scream the gay headlines as loud as they could have gone quiet. They're still reporting on everything else to do with PSH's death but where's the headlines shouting about Katz denying everything and preparing to sic his lawyers on the NE?
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I'm pretty shocked about the NE thing too. They could have played it safe with "sources." Why expose themselves like that?

Loved the Sorkin piece.

mjw
    Elite Member

DAVID BAR KATZ - A CORRECTION AND AN APOLOGY

-A+A

Published on: February 7, 2014

The National Enquirer recently published a front page headline and accompanying article about the death of actor Philip Seymour Hoffman.

The cover headline and article were premised on an interview with a source who we have now concluded misled us as to his identity. This resulted in us making statements on the cover and in the article that we now believe to be untrue and that we deeply regret. We therefore extend our sincere regret and apologies to Mr. Hoffman’s family and to David Bar Katz and his family. The National Enquirer takes pride in providing our loyal readers with timely and accurate news. In this instance, we wish simply to say that we were wrong.

A veteran Enquirer reporter spoke at length with someone who identified himself as David Katz, and he had reason to believe he was indeed speaking with Mr. Katz. The cover headline and much of the article were based on that interview. The Enquirer article was later picked up by Radar Online. We now know that David Bar Katz denies speaking with our reporter, and we believe we were tricked.

The National Enquirer has a long and deserved reputation for pursuing stories aggressively and fearlessly, but in this instance, we acknowledge we made a mistake. We were duped into believing the source of this information. Again, we wish to express our deepest and most heartfelt apologies to the family of Mr. Hoffman and to Mr. Katz and his family, as well as Enquirer readers. We are truly sorry.

DAVID BAR KATZ - A Correction and an Apology - The National Enquirer

That did cross my mind that someone pretended to be him. I think the details were probably pretty correct, maybe it was a so called 'friend' of David who tricked them. That's a pretty bad mistake to make for the NE though.
    On another note I didn't like seeing the photos of Philip's kids at his funeral. Way too intrusive. Heartbreaking pictures.
    Kittylady likes this.

"We were misled", "we were tricked" and "we were duped". Okay, but who got paid for the story? Or did it make perfect sense to the editor that "David Katz" found his "lover's" body and called the National Enquirer to spill the beans - w/o a price negotiated?
    Kittylady likes this.

Thread Information