Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast
Like Tree759Likes

Thread: Peaches Geldof dies aged 25

does anyone here watch intervention? they do that tough love stuff on there. and the person always goes. i don't know what their success rates are but a lot of people do relapse, i think it's pretty normal to do that. just gotta keep trying to get better or die i suppose. it's a tough fight. i don't judge as i have addictions myself. namely cigarettes and pain meds when i get them, which isn't often but i'll get like 100 tylenol 3 for migraines and they will be gone in less than 2 weeks. plus when i was in the hospital, i could have morphine every 2 hours and i asked for it whether i was in pain or not. i just liked to be out of it. i can totally understand how someone can get addicted to heroin and i will NEVER try it. that would be the end of me. i'd be rolled up in a rug somewhere injecting morphine with puddle water.

honestly i love the way opiods make me feel. no anxiety no worries, i am not working or in school right now so i could just sit around chain smoke, pop pills and play cubis for hours with breaking bad playing in the background. oh how easy it could be to become 'useless'. the only reason why i don't try to get more drugs is because i don't want my doctor or other doctors to think i'm a drug seeker, and i'm too chicken shit to buy them on the streets and refuse to pay the outrageous prices, and mostly i don't want to be a full blown addict. so i'm kind of an intermittent addict. i get my t3 prescription every 3 months and for two weeks out of those 3 months i am high.

I have never seen a program encourage the use of shame to control the addict. The tough love programs do get blown out of proportion though. In SBs case, the father and stepmother were trying to do what the program told them to do but they could have offered him a safe place to live with the understanding that he would get a job, pay rent, contribute around the house, and stay clean and sober. Then if he broke the rules they should invoke tough love and explain they can no longer allow him to live there because he broke the rules. I personally don't believe it is good for someone right out of recovery to live on their own. It's too hard to come home from work while trying to establish healthy patterns and be alone. But it's also not good to have the Mom saying he doesn't need meetings or additional support.

SB - your brother has youth on his side and the fact that he was not doing hard drugs. These are the patients I have seen achieve the greatest success. I'll be honest and say that most do go back to social use though. Eventually they get it under control once they get a good job and start to settle into life. He needs to focus on his mental health though and work through issues in therapy.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Annika - I think there are a lot of people like you. They abuse when they have access but they aren't craving addicts (yet) who will do whatever to get the high.
    sparkles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    Annika - I think there are a lot of people like you. They abuse when they have access but they aren't craving addicts (yet) who will do whatever to get the high.

i'm a binge type person. i would do that with alcohol too. just drink till i puked. i dont like to drink anymore because i get really bad hangovers, but when i did i'd drink like a whole bottle of wine and want more. i think it's the same as me getting a prescription. i don't take more at a time than i'm supposed to but i just keep taking the drug till it's gone. then i'm fine, i dont want any more and can wait till my three or four months are up to go back and get a refill (i got the prescription originally for menstrual migraines, i can't take NSAIDS as they upset my stomach and give me ulcers, so i tell the doc i take like 20 a month during my period - 2 pills 3x a day for 4 or so days, and he thinks that's what i do). i thought once of making poppyseed tea but read up on it and saw too many people od'd on it so that put an end to my curiosity. i live in a small city too and don't want any side eyes from going through the grocery checkout with a kilogram of poppy seeds lol.

Annika, have you tried magnesium? I've had bad migraines all my life, including menstrual migraines, then I read that there have been a couple of studies that they may be caused by a magnesium deficiency. I started taking magnesium supplements daily about a month ago and since then I've only had a couple of very mild headaches. It's been amazing.
    Annika, KrisNine and sparkles like this.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

hey, i am low on magnesium (blood test) and haven't done anything about it. you are right!

Annika, have you tried a triptan drug? Imitrex, Frova, etc. I have to take those for my migraines.

Nono, I've heard about the magnesium but never tried it. I might have to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Annika, have you tried a triptan drug? Imitrex, Frova, etc. I have to take those for my migraines.

Nono, I've heard about the magnesium but never tried it. I might have to do that.
    amytriptyline, i think it's called, i was prescribed it a couple of years ago it made me feel sick and really tired, i was taken off it. i was also given a wafer type drug called maxalt i think, from a neurologist... but the side effects freaked the hell outta me, so i wouldn't take it...

i'm going to try to find some liquid magnesium or a crunchy kind i can smash up and put in my tube feed.

ps. rest in peaches, peaches...

Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    amytriptyline, i think it's called, i was prescribed it a couple of years ago it made me feel sick and really tired, i was taken off it. i was also given a wafer type drug called maxalt i think, from a neurologist... but the side effects freaked the hell outta me, so i wouldn't take it...

i'm going to try to find some liquid magnesium or a crunchy kind i can smash up and put in my tube feed.

yeah, maxalt is one I've tried. If you're healthy and have a good heart, triptans work wonders. Just find one that works for you.

I had maxalt & they were great for me - I didn't even know that they had side effects.
    You can get magnesium in bananas - which is no use to Annica, I appreciate.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Big fan of triptans. Imigran is my drug. I get a mild high from it too which kinda sucks because the doctor said my brain may be manufacturing some of my migraines just to get Imigran. Not sure about the magnesium theory. I took a ton of magnesium while pregnant and didn't see any difference in my migraines. :/

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Amytriptyline can be wonderful or it can be hell. The Bloke was using it intermittently on prescription for diabetic nureopathy in his feet. Some days he was unable to stand or walk because the pain was so bad. Even though he only started off as using it when the pain was beyond bearing whenever he stopped the pain came back ten times worse and this started to concern him so he stopped taking it and just ploughed through as best as he could, taking days off work when he had to and gritting his teeth the rest of the time. After a month or so the pains in his feet started getting less and less and now, years later, he only gets the occasional "YOWCH! Sheee-it!" stab that soon passes. Some doctors will tell you that it is non-addictive but there seems to be a lot of disagreement out there from people who have actually been on it and experienced terrible withdrawal.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I was on Amitryptyline for years and didn't have any side effects or withdrawal when I stopped it. People can react so differently to the same drug, you can't really go by anyone else's experience.
    Novice likes this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

^^ That's why I said it can be wonderful or it can be hell. For some people it can drastically improve their quality of life, while for others... I had nothing but shit on Seroxat while others have soared through it and out the other side.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Bronze Member

Hmm, this discussion about Maxalt is interesting. I took it for years as well because of my migraines. I can see that it could lead to addiction..gave me a very loose, light feeling. That was probably 7 years ago so it would probably affect me differently now.

Thread Information