Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast
Like Tree759Likes

Thread: Peaches Geldof dies aged 25

Any sympathy I had for Peaches has all but vanished now that we know heroin was involved (the children should have come first and her enablers should be held to account as much as Peaches herself, as they should have put those poor little boys first as well and got them away from the situation as a priority ), but, with that said, I feel I must correct some of you on the family history.

Paula Yates was NOT a junkie for nearly all of Peaches childhood, nor was her talking about her family/parenting a means to feed her habit. The tragic fact about her mother's demise was that she was well known as being virtually tea-total, all through the 1980s when most of her interviewees where most certainly not, and her behaviour, once she left Bob, was a complete shock and said to be completely out of character by those who knew her, and had known her for many years...

Some might blame Michael Hutchence (there are others that the finger of blame should be pointed at as well, but thats another issue), but what it boiled down to was a woman whose whole sense of self had been thrown into turmoil by the discovery that her father was not her father, and she rebelled, out of a long buried anger at being told how to act and live by a very religious man, whom she now knew was of no biological relation to her... An utterly selfish and pointless act, that has now claimed its third victim.

I don't offer her any excuse of having an addict Mom, lack of support, whatever. I just accept the facts for what they are. She was an addict. Addicts relapse every single day and destroy the ones they love. They don't do it on purpose. It's so easy to blame them for allowing themselves to get addicted and fault them for not stopping when they realized they had a problem. But if they could just stop they never would have become an addict to begin with. Addiction means that they cannot simply stop. Feel blessed that you have that ability and that your body doesn't have the gene, chemical imbalance, or whatever it is that causes some people to become addicts while others do not.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    But remember, One Day at a Time is a motto for a reason. The average person needs multiple attempts at recovery before it sticks. Even then it is a day to day struggle for many.

Happy for your brother and your family sluce and I hope he stays strongs

I can see One day at a time and i also heard that Your addiction is doing push-ups in the parking lot.
    Once isenough to relapse and maybe what happened to Peaches.
    What I can't phantom is how can she be such an advocate for attachment parenting, write about it, talk about it ect.
    Then purchase, prepare and use heroin, while being the sole carer the child... If she really couldn't say no, why tell her FIL not to bring the kid back or call someone to take him ...

I do not believe she was ever drug free and i dont believe her family and friends did not know.The junkies i know all had abortions if pregnant.I could go as far as say that she used her condition to earn a living and pay for her habits.Back ground maybe,genetical predesposition a factor,lifestyle too..But she finally liked getting high more than seeing her babies growing,more than her own life.Sad but true,i think..
    I think also hubby is not quite clean himself and his momma did a fine job of covering up.Now i can understand all the police dogs and search at the premises..
    Belt Up, Sarzy, rollo and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kasippu View Post
    Happy for your brother and your family sluce and I hope he stays strongs
    Thanks but it is Southernbelle's brother and I too hope he stays strong.
    southernbelle likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I think it is easy to throw stones at addicts when you have never had an addiction. I can pound my chest and say I would do this, that and the other thing but the truth is I have no idea. The closest I get is knowing that I still think about smoking after having been quit for over 10 years.
    sluce, KrisNine, Bombshell and 5 others like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I wonder why you would be drawn towards trying heroin, as opposed to being frightened by it for killing your mother.

My own mother had a violent, alcoholic father, vicious and brutal who beat my mother and grandmother and made their lives hell until my grandmother just gathered what she could into the car and left one day while he was at work. They even changed their names to make sure he never found them. They had absolutely nothing for awhile but as my grandmother said, nothing was better than a fist in the eye.
    My mother is terrified of alcohol, because she's worried that she could go down that path since alcoholism runs in her father's side of the family. She's never taken a drink and alcohol was never allowed in the house. My brothers always thought she over reacted and used to tease her about it but she was adamant about no alcohol anywhere around her.
    I wonder if more children of addicts or alcoholics are drawn to the addiction or repulsed by it?

My father was a gambler,none of us 3 kids ever played cards or gable in any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Neptunia View Post
    I wonder why you would be drawn towards trying heroin, as opposed to being frightened by it for killing your mother.

My own mother had a violent, alcoholic father, vicious and brutal who beat my mother and grandmother and made their lives hell until my grandmother just gathered what she could into the car and left one day while he was at work. They even changed their names to make sure he never found them. They had absolutely nothing for awhile but as my grandmother said, nothing was better than a fist in the eye.
    My mother is terrified of alcohol, because she's worried that she could go down that path since alcoholism runs in her father's side of the family. She's never taken a drink and alcohol was never allowed in the house. My brothers always thought she over reacted and used to tease her about it but she was adamant about no alcohol anywhere around her.
    I wonder if more children of addicts or alcoholics are drawn to the addiction or repulsed by it?
    Both of my parents grew up with alcoholic parents. My dad also had to put up with emotional and physical abuse from his mother and step father. Both of my parents never drink - no liquor has ever been in their house - and my life growing up was as "white picket fence" as you could get! Both of them strived to give us a life that was totally opposite of what they had growing up. My brother used to say my parents were overreacting as well and my parents would say "you don't know how bad it is".

Quote Originally Posted by Neptunia View Post

some people repeat cycles, others break them to the point that they won't even touch alcohol, like your mother.
    it's the same with people who grew up around domestic violence. some will break the cycle completely, while some men who beat their partners do so despite growing up watching their father do the same to their mother, and suffering because of it.
    sluce, KrisNine, Kittylady and 1 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

She loved her mother, maybe she saw heroin as a way to feel closer to her in some way? A shared experience of sorts.

On the other hand she might well just be a flighty young fuck up like so many girls from privileged London backgrounds are.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Quote Originally Posted by Catty View Post
    Both of my parents grew up with alcoholic parents. My dad also had to put up with emotional and physical abuse from his mother and step father. Both of my parents never drink - no liquor has ever been in their house - and my life growing up was as "white picket fence" as you could get! Both of them strived to give us a life that was totally opposite of what they had growing up. My brother used to say my parents were overreacting as well and my parents would say "you don't know how bad it is".
    My dad's whole side of the family were hard drinkers. It was crazy and really not good for you as a little kid to see the craziness. Nothing violent, more sad than anything. However, the current generation, with my brother, me and cousins, does not have one single alcoholic. It was amazing. I think it's a lucky genetic fluke for all of us. I would hate to put my kids through the kind of stuff the earlier generations on that side of the family had to put up with, and at this point, it looks like they never will.
    KrisNine likes this.

^^^^
    i just have a whole lot of crazy on both sides of the family that manifests in many different forms, from alcoholism, drug addiction, pathological liars, depression, narcissism, eating disorders, OCD, man-whoring, kleptomania, enabling, delusional paranoia and hallucinations... a couple of relatives have all or most of these going on at once. good times.

no gamblers or wife beaters, surprisingly.

eta: never mind. i just remembered my mom's grandpa was an inveterate gambler. at the start of the 20th century, he lost his house with everything in it in a card game. went home and told his wife and kids they had to leave with the clothes on their backs and couldn't take anything else with them.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    I do not believe she was ever drug free and i dont believe her family and friends did not know.The junkies i know all had abortions if pregnant.I could go as far as say that she used her condition to earn a living and pay for her habits.Back ground maybe,genetical predesposition a factor,lifestyle too..But she finally liked getting high more than seeing her babies growing,more than her own life.Sad but true,i think..
    I think also hubby is not quite clean himself and his momma did a fine job of covering up.Now i can understand all the police dogs and search at the premises..
    Of course they knew. She had been cautioned for buying heroin, the death of that poor 18 year old implicated her in his diary and I am sure there are other things now covered up and sanitized to make her and her mother 'not that bad' and a victim of circumstances. Paula was a groupie who chased the newly famous Bob Geldof who did not want to settle down in the slightest. From past reports about both of them, it wasn't the happy clappy family story that was sold repeatedly to tabloids and magazines right up until Paula's death. Peaches was set on a path of copying this exact same fundraising method only now including Twitter and You Tube and any other media she could think of.

The crap about marriage and kids straightening these people out was completely self serving and untrue.
    effie2 and Belt Up like this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    I think it is easy to throw stones at addicts when you have never had an addiction. I can pound my chest and say I would do this, that and the other thing but the truth is I have no idea. The closest I get is knowing that I still think about smoking after having been quit for over 10 years.
    I totally agree. I grew up watching aunts and uncles with serious addiction problems. A heroin addict amongst them, one who left her small children and lived on the streets for years and years. Had other children and pawned them off on the rest of the family, including her ex-husband who was not the father, but willing raised 2 more children along with his own.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    some people repeat cycles, others break them to the point that they won't even touch alcohol, like your mother.
    it's the same with people who grew up around domestic violence. some will break the cycle completely, while some men who beat their partners do so despite growing up watching their father do the same to their mother, and suffering because of it.
    Watching my family, I was scared shitless to do more than have the occasional drink as a teen. My cousin, whose mother was the junkie, was willing to try just about everything except heroin. Funny enough, while I'm a cigarette smoker she won't even touch an ashtray. It "disgusts" her but coke, X and various other shit never did.

Thread Information