Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 507
Like Tree759Likes

Thread: Peaches Geldof dies aged 25

  1. #226
    Gold Member Dorahacky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In perpetual motion
    Posts
    1,488

    Default

    I want to be composted and have a tree planted with me:

    Ecological burial involves freeze-drying, composting the corpse
    DeliriumTremens likes this.
    We all like to think we're so special. But in the end, we all do the same stupid shit. - Dennis Miller


  2. #227
    Elite Member Belt Up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,021

    Default

    May as well just burn me, I'm going to hell anyways
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

  3. #228
    Hit By Ban Bus! rockchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    midwest USA
    Posts
    4,427

    Default

    cremation and tossed into ocean for me. Known this since I was a kid. Cannot go into ground.

  4. #229
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    1,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rockchick View Post
    cremation and tossed into ocean for me. Known this since I was a kid. Cannot go into ground.
    Same here.

  5. #230
    Super Moderator twitchy2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Milliways
    Posts
    59,995

    Default

    I'd go for dismemberment and being scattered in dumpsters around town just to mess with the cops.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

  6. #231
    Elite Member sprynkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    At the salon
    Posts
    23,466

    Default

    You can have your ashes put into glass art. Kind of cool I think.

  7. #232
    Elite Member Karistiona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Alba
    Posts
    12,628

    Default

    I'm going to be made into a diamond and in my will I'm going to state that wee sis has to wear me every day.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.

  8. #233
    Elite Member Flygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Ok, this is going to sound really irreverent, but what the hell. My half brother passed away suddenly a year and a half ago. His mother thought I would want some of the ashes so she just kind of forced them on me without asking. (no, I did not want them) At the service, she gave me this beautiful urn with some of the ashes in it. How do you reject that tactfully? It's not that they scare me or anything, I just really don't want them, because now I feel like I have to be all reverent about them, when what I really want to do is just get rid of them. I just don't feel that what made my brother my brother is anywhere in that jar. The soul moves on and the body is just a vessel no longer needed in my beliefs. My immediate family and I just really don't care what they do with our corpses. Donate whatever organs you can, let science use the rest, and toss whatever's left when it comes to my body.

    Well, without meaning for it to drag on so long, he's still sitting on our washing machine, which you see right when you walk into our "family" entrance. My kids as toddlers heard me say "What's up, Flygirl brother?" one day and now every time they come into the house they say, "What's up, Uncle Flygirl brother?" I've got to do something with it. If he is up in heaven, I know he's laughing his ass off at me because he always used to make fun of how I'd never get anything done. This story sounds horrifying for a bunch of strangers, who don't know me. I'm sorry, it's really not as bad as it sounds. I swear.

  9. #234
    Super Moderator twitchy2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Milliways
    Posts
    59,995

    Default

    Did he have some favorite spot? Maybe you could ask his mom if she'd mind if you scattered them there?
    Flygirl likes this.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

  10. #235
    Elite Member sprynkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    At the salon
    Posts
    23,466

    Default

    I think its hilarious that you have him on the washer Flygirl. It's kind of sweet. He's not in some dark box in a closet.
    Flygirl, yanna and Just Kill Me like this.

  11. #236
    Elite Member manningmsj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
    Ok, this is going to sound really irreverent, but what the hell. My half brother passed away suddenly a year and a half ago. His mother thought I would want some of the ashes so she just kind of forced them on me without asking. (no, I did not want them) At the service, she gave me this beautiful urn with some of the ashes in it. How do you reject that tactfully? It's not that they scare me or anything, I just really don't want them, because now I feel like I have to be all reverent about them, when what I really want to do is just get rid of them. I just don't feel that what made my brother my brother is anywhere in that jar. The soul moves on and the body is just a vessel no longer needed in my beliefs. My immediate family and I just really don't care what they do with our corpses. Donate whatever organs you can, let science use the rest, and toss whatever's left when it comes to my body.
    .
    Well, without meaning for it to drag on so long, he's still sitting on our washing machine, which you see right when you walk into our "family" entrance. My kids as toddlers heard me say "What's up, Flygirl brother?" one day and now every time they come into the house they say, "What's up, Uncle Flygirl brother?" I've got to do something with it. If he is up in heaven, I know he's laughing his ass off at me because he always used to make fun of how I'd never get anything done. This story sounds horrifying for a bunch of strangers, who don't know me. I'm sorry, it's really not as bad as it sounds. I swear.
    This is completely O/T, but your story reminds me of my grandfather's death. He died when I was around six from brain cancer (62 years old). He came to live with us from Florida when he got too forgetful and my parents set him up in the first floor bedroom (which was theirs at one time, but we were in the process of reno so I can't remember if they had the new one yet or just shared with us). That room is now the dining room. Anyway, he died at home in there. For some reason or another (and it's weird too since my dad works in the appliance business), we ended up hanging on to the TV that was in there for a long time. It was used in my mom's bedroom for at least a decade after and because of its age, had a tendency to flicker on and off. Everytime it did, we would joke that it was Grandpa. It wasn't a morbid thing to us kids; I remember thinking it was kinda neat and it tempered my sadness that he was gone. Even once I was old enough to realize it wasn't his spectral self messing with us, I continued to joke when it would happen, like, "hey Grandpa, knock it off. I was watching that." Made me feel like he wasn't totally gone.

    Anyway, also because our house is old and prone to its quirks, often the dimmer switch in the dining room would drop and the lights would suddenly go off. This was of course the room he died in, so again we made the same joke. Beginning around the time I hit 12 or 13 until the end of highschool, I used to have two of my closest friends over every Friday night for a standing sleepover. I'm still really close with one of them and he recently told me about this. I guess one night I mentioned the flickering lights/TV issue to them and told them not to freak out because it was just my dead Gramps messing with them. I then promptly passed out. Little did I know the story had frightened my friends to the core. They would go on to spend every sleepover shaking beneath the blankets, whispering over my sleeping form, and planning their exit strategy should my evil grandfather's ghost try to attack them. Whoops.
    Last edited by manningmsj; April 26th, 2014 at 04:14 PM.
    dolem, Flygirl, cherrypye and 2 others like this.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

  12. #237
    Elite Member CornFlakegrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hanging with the raisin girls
    Posts
    14,974

    Default

    My MIL is in a box in a corner chair in my kitchen.

  13. #238
    Elite Member effie2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Where it all begun
    Posts
    16,291

    Default

    You know we Greeks dont have the cremating option?Bury you they do...take you out 3 years later,keep your leftovers in a metal box for some more years then they destroy said leftovers and you re truly gone!

  14. #239
    Elite Member Bombshell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    in Delusion
    Posts
    2,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    You know we Greeks dont have the cremating option?Bury you they do...take you out 3 years later,keep your leftovers in a metal box for some more years then they destroy said leftovers and you re truly gone!
    Fascinating!

    Is there any kind of gathering or celebration or mourning or anything when they take you out after three years? Or is it something that's done very quietly?
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

  15. #240
    Elite Member Icepik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    11,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    You know we Greeks dont have the cremating option?Bury you they do...take you out 3 years later,keep your leftovers in a metal box for some more years then they destroy said leftovers and you re truly gone!

    Don't the male relatives have to clean the bones of the deceased after they exhume the body? That's what I was told when I attended the funeral of a Greek friend of my ex husband.

    Completely curious... why is there a three year waiting period, and how do they destroy the final remains?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Peaches Geldof
    By mrs.v in forum Just Plain Scary
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: August 13th, 2011, 05:10 PM
  2. Peaches Geldof in D&G
    By Honey in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: June 22nd, 2010, 09:46 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: May 26th, 2009, 05:27 AM
  4. Peaches Geldof
    By olivia720 in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: April 14th, 2009, 01:48 AM
  5. Peaches Geldof
    By olivia720 in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 9th, 2009, 06:41 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •