Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233 LastLast
Like Tree553Likes

Thread: Paul Walker from "The Fast & the Furious" dead at 40 in car crash

It sucks they died but it is no one's fault but their own. I doubt Paul Walker was screaming at the driver to slow down. He was more than likely telling him to speed up.
    snoopqueen likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    It was Walker's car. He was responsible for maintenance and apparently, the car was in poor condition and had aftermarket modifications. It had nine year old tires on at least 2 wheels, he boosted the engine's horsepower by modifying the intake/exhaust system.
    The news article said it was his friend's car, but it could be wrong of course.

The actor was a passenger in his friend Roger Rodas' Carrera when it crashed into a pole and burst into flames in Santa Clarita, California in November, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    They are going to respond to every claim with a defense. If one of the allegations is that the very nature of the car is dangerous, of course they will respond with an assumption of the risk argument. It's basically a race car and isn't really made for the road so the passenger is assuming the risk just by riding in it in a regular street. I'm sure Porsche is mainly saying that Paul's death had nothing to do with them because the deaths weren't from a design defect, they are from the driver's negligence. It doesn't matter whether Paul was at fault in any way or not, Porsche still isn't responsible for an accident caused by the drive's negligence. The only way that they would be liable would be if the crash was caused by a design or mechanical defect.
    Yeah, I get that they will use any defense they can raise. Like in the Tracy Morgan accident, WalMart tried to use comparative negligence because he wasn't wearing a seat belt and was therefore partially responsible for his own injuries. In this case, if the accident was 100% the driver's fault, there's no one else for a passenger to recover from. It's just another deep pockets situation and the family will sue whoever they can possibly sue. They have the burden of proof but are probably hoping Porsche will buckle and settle in lieu of taking it to court. If the car was owned by Walker as Charmed stated, then their case just got a lot weaker, not that it's a strong case to start with.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

From what I've read in the past the car was owned by Walker. Rodas and Walker were business partners in a speed shop. Apparently, Rodas was driving it to feel out potentially working on the car.

Interesting...

PAUL WALKER DAUGHTER SCORES $10 MIL IN CRASH SETTLEMENT
    4/8/2016 3:26 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
    Meadow Walker struck a deal with the driver of the car in which her dad died ... a deal worth $10.1 million.

Attorney Jeff Milam, who reps the 17-year-old, says the basis of the settlement was that driver Roger Rodas was partly to blame for the fatal accident, even though he was "not directing the car through any particularly unsafe maneuvers when it went out of control."

It's unclear how much of the settlement will be paid by Rodas' insurance company and how much, if any, from his estate itself.

The settlement was actually made in 2014, but it went under the radar in the courts because it was filed under the name Meadow W. She got just over $7.2 mil and her lawyer snagged just under $3 mil.

Meadow is not done. She's pressing on with her lawsuit against Porsche, claiming various design defects in the racing car caused the crash.

Meadow's lawyer says the $10.1 mil only represents a small fraction of what his client should get given his status as a bankable movie star and the lead in the "Fast and the Furious" franchise.

Read more: Driver in Fatal Crash Pay's Paul Walker's Daughter $10 Mil | TMZ.com

And, in her case against Porche:

PAUL WALKER Daughter's Lawyer Says PORSCHE'S VICTORY IS IRRELEVANT

4/5/2016 2:23 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Porsche will have to pay up dearly in the wrongful death lawsuit filed by Paul Walker's daughter, despite the car company's win against the driver's widow ... so says Meadow Walker's lawyer.

Attorney Jeff Milam tells TMZ, Porsche's big victory will have no impact on Meadow's case ... for several reasons. First, a federal judge ruled against Roger Rodas' widow, and Meadow has filed in a different legal system ... L.A. County Superior Court. The federal dismissal has no bearing on Meadow's case.

Even more important, Milam says Rodas was killed instantly upon impact, adding, "Meadow's father, Paul Walker, was a passenger in the car. He survived the crash but was trapped and burned to death because of the vehicle's defects."

TMZ broke the story, the judge in the Rodas case ruled the claim that the fuel cell was compromised in the crash is irrelevant, because it has nothing to do with the cause of his death. Meadow's lawyer is claiming the fire was the cause of Paul's demise, and he'd still be alive were it not for a defect in the cell.

Milam says, "Meadow will continue the fight to hold Porsche accountable for selling a defective product that kills."

Read more: Paul Walker: Daughter's Lawyer Says Porsche's Victory is Irrelevant | TMZ.com

These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I think the first TMZ headline is rather tasteless. This kid didn't get a winning lotto ticket, she lost her father.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Money won't bring him back and she was already wealthy for life when he died. It would be great if she donated any awards/settlements to charitable causes important to her father.
    Why do people say, "Grow some balls?" Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding! ~ Betty White

I can't understand how you can force Porsche to pay for someone's reckless driving.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

ITA unless they prove that there was a defect that prevented Paul from getting out of the car prior to being burned to death - AND - prove he was not already dead from the crash...
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Was the gas tank in the front of the car? It's been a while since I saw the video (which was obscured), but it seems like the car plowed through some relatively thin trees before it stopped and burst into flames.

ETA - I just looked it up, and the gas tank is practically built into the seats that Rodas and Walker were sitting in. Which is probably even worse.
    Last edited by MohandasKGanja; April 11th, 2016 at 12:30 PM.
    sluce likes this.

The 05 Carrera is considered one of the most dangerous cars on the road. It requires a lot of skill to drive.
    Novice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Was the gas tank in the front of the car? It's been a while since I saw the video (which was obscured), but it seems like the car plowed through some relatively thin trees before it stopped and burst into flames.

ETA - I just looked it up, and the gas tank is practically built into the seats that Rodas and Walker were sitting in. Which is probably even worse.
    After the trees, did it end up into a light pole or something?

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    After the trees, did it end up into a light pole or something?
    I think it hit the light pole first and then some trees. I think the pole impact on Walker's (passenger) side was what penetrated the gas tank - with the result being that he was covered in gas from the tank that had been punctured. Then, something inside the car ignited the gas.

Other stats I read:

The car costs about $450,000

The gas tank alone costs $15,000

Top speed is about 208 mph

Gets about 9 mpg highway

24-gallon tank - that's a lot of gas for a small car

Costs $900 just to change the oil

But most important of all, no electronic stability control to help correct bad moves by the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    ITA unless they prove that there was a defect that prevented Paul from getting out of the car prior to being burned to death - AND - prove he was not already dead from the crash...
    Or that he could have even gotten out of the car due to his injuries before he was burned.

The fact is they were driving a race car at a high rate of speed in non-race track conditions probably just showing out and having their idea of fun and it went horribly wrong. I feel for his daughter but I don't think she should get a pay out from that or even from the driver's family.
    sputnik likes this.

Does it matter if he was able to get out of the car or not? I know it's a big assumption, but assuming he was still alive after the crash and IF the car hadn't burst into flames, he could have survived--well, it seems that's their theory anyway, that the design defect caused the car to explode on impact. Doesn't anyone remember the Ford Pinto?
    sluce likes this.

Silver Member

While Paul's and Rodas' deaths were premature I am certain this wasn't the first time they took this or a similar car out for a high speed joy ride. The driver is mostly responsible imo and I lose sympathy for the family for pursuing the "deep pocket" to sue rather than Rodas' estate. Kind of like the Jackson's and AEG.

Thread Information