Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
Like Tree553Likes

Thread: Paul Walker from "The Fast & the Furious" dead at 40 in car crash

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    Add me to the list of people who have never been aware of this guy until now. Never saw any of his movies and really never followed him. It is so striking as to how you can be on top of the world and have everything - fame, fortune, admiration, family and good looks and that can all be taken away in a horrific instant. If anything, his death is a sobering reminder of that.
    And that to me is exactly why so many people get caught up in a celebrity dying. It's almost like they aren't real until something really shitty happens to them and then it reminds us oh yeah that shit can happen to me as well.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    And people spend upwards of 100K for this car?
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    I know, right? My husband has an 80s Porsche 911. IMO, those are far superior to what's currently being produced. The car is a bit heavier and rear suspension is better manufactured. The new models have some plastic components in them. That being said, I was in his car once and never again. I'm not afraid of his driving at all but that little tin can is a sure death trap.

Oh, this one cost in the area of $500K.

It's not like a regular 911 at all, this GT is a true race car. Mid -engine, only about 1200 ever made. Very different body than the average Porsche, more like a Formula1 racer.
    Novice likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Witchywoman View Post
    He was a huge animal lover.

Mr. spinmonkey loved the F&F movies, but I loved him in Eight Below!
    Witchywoman likes this.
    Drive-by poster

Loved Eight Below, but I think it had to do with the dogs more than anything.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Oh, this one cost in the area of $500K.

It's not like a regular 911 at all, this GT is a true race car. Mid -engine, only about 1200 ever made. Very different body than the average Porsche, more like a Formula1 racer.
    That's what I saw, too. I'm kind of curious about where the gas tank is located based on it bursting into flames on impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Loved Eight Below, but I think it had to do with the dogs more than anything.
    True. I guess I just have good memories of taking my kids to see that movie. I just do not remember him in any of the sitcoms at all.
    Drive-by poster

I just saw this on Facebook...

See, this TMZ bullshit is the narrative diarrhea I'm talking about:

Quote Originally Posted by coolios5o View Post
    [URL="http://www.tmz.com/2013/12/02/paul-walker-burning-car-friend-photo/"]Paul Walker Crash

Cops Wrestled Friend Away from Burning Car

Exclusive

This is the dramatic moment when a cop had to physically wrestle one of Paul Walker's friends away from the crash scene ... seconds after it became clear Paul could not be saved.

TMZ broke the story ... Paul's friends rushed to the scene -- one even grabbed a fire extinguisher and desperately tried to extinguish the flames.

Nute and firefighters didn't arrive for MINUTES after the crash, and it obvious the two occupants had perished more than mere seconds after that so-called "exclusive" TMZ pic.

And now it's ONE person with fire extinguishers.

I figured what was reported the first 12 hours would be wrong. But if you watch the security camera footage TMZ just put up this afternoon...that car exploded on impact. There was no way they could gave gotten out on their own or anyone else could have pulled them out if they had been there. Bad bad deal....and I feel even worse knowing that 8 year old innocent little boy had to see his Daddy die. Heart wrenching....

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    That's what I saw, too. I'm kind of curious about where the gas tank is located based on it bursting into flames on impact.
    i read that it's in the front.

jalopnik had a piece on the car, natch:

Porsche That Killed Paul Walker 'Dangerous,' 'Needs Respect'

Porsche's famed test driver Walter Rohrl was scared of it. A former manager at Porsche has called the CGT "the most dangerous car on the road." And IndyCar driver and Carrera GT owner Graham Rahal says it "needs respect." This is not a car to mess with, and two people paid the ultimate price this weekend.

The red Carrera GT that was involved in the accident that killed Paul Walker was being driven by his business partner Roger Rodas, himself no slouch behind the wheel. Rodas has raced in the Pirelli World Challenge series and is, by all accounts, a capable driver. But none of us are saints, capable or not. If we're in a high performance car, there are times when we'll put the foot to the floor.

But Porsche's ultimate supercar isn't always ready to go flat out. It takes planning. People who have driven the car say the conditions need to be right. And even if conditions are perfect, it can still scare the shit out of you.

During the development of the Carrera GT, famed Porsche tester and man with gigantic brass attachments Walter Rohrl told Australian website Drive that he was actually scared of the car and wanted them to fit traction control because of the unpredictable behavior at the limit:
    Former world rally champion and Porsche test driver Walter Rohrl told Drive the new Porsche supercar is "the first car in my life that I drive and I feel scared".

Earlier this year, Rohrl said, the engineering team was about to cancel a day's testing at the famous Nurburgring circuit because of wet weather. But, Rohrl said, when he insisted the car had to be tested in slippery conditions, he discovered the car's daunting performance.

"I came back into the pits and I was white," Rohrl said. "I immediately said to the engineers that we need one button for the wet and one button for the dry", referring to the need for a traction control switch.
    In the last few years, the Carrera GT has been in a few high profile incidents, including a spin while Jay Leno was at the wheel at high speed at Talladega. The highest profile incident until this weekend was a fatal Carrera GT crash at California Speedway when a swerve at high speed resulted in a loss of control and a crash into the wall. That case was settled for $4.5 million.

Expand

When Top Gear drove the car, Jeremy Clarkson loved and praised the car for its purity, but famously said "you need to be awake to drive this car fast." And he's right, as evidenced by the CGT stepping out on him a number of times during his test drive.

Doug DeMuro, a former manager at Porsche Cars North America and friend of Jalopnik loves the Carrera GT, but still believes it's incredibly dangerous:
    The car is crazy. We know of the incident Leno had (where he spun it at Talladega) and of course the one at Fontana, where those two guys died in 2005 — that one was REALLY sad because it was very similar circumstances to this — a guy went for a ride, then crash, both died, at least one left behind a young family. There was also the German prince who smashed up a Gemballa version, and (at least) one serious accident in Europe.

I think conservative estimates say something like 70 of these are off the road, and they keep severely injuring and killing people. My favorite car ever, in the whole world, but man are they dangerous. A close friend of mine has one here and I refuse to let him take me for a ride — even the pros at the driving school in Birmingham were really cautious with it.

If you're ever offered a ride, definitely think twice about it... and if you ever get the chance to drive, for God's sake be careful!
    Expand

We spoke to IndyCar star Graham Rahal, who multiple sources believe previously owned the Carrera GT involved in Walker's crash, and he says that the CGT is a car that demands respect:
    It's a race car for the street. Simple as that. It asks for and needs respect at all time. It's not a car for people who don't have experience driving high end vehicles or race cars really for that matter. However I believe Roger was an experienced road racer. To me the CGT is in the top 3 vehicles ever made, possibly the greatest road car ever made.

This isn't a car for inexperienced drivers. It's an old school supercar, which means that given the chance, it will bite you. While it still isn't clear if the crash was caused by racing, mechanical failure, or driver error, what is clear is that the CGT isn't a car to be toyed with. If you don't respect it, there is a solid chance that it won't respect you.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; December 2nd, 2013 at 08:13 PM.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Here is an article that my local news picked up. Just another story of how generous and humble this guy really was, in his real life. I have read a ton of things like this over the years,..he was very generous with volunteering, donating to worldwide causes with his time and money and he was a big ocean and animal lover. All the while it seems like everyone says he was a very kind, down to earth guy, and very humble and grateful for what he was given in life. Plus, his great sense of humor and big smile didn't hurt...lol

I remember an interview with him a few years ago when he asked about the fame/success and great life the F&F franchise had given him, and he answered, "You know, all that really matters is that the people you love are happy and healthy, everything else is just sprinkles on the sundae." - Paul Walker. I had forgotten about that quote until I saw it was posted on his site, and then I remembered hearing him say this several years ago.

SANTA CLARITA, California (CNN) —Investigators have been unable to find evidence of a second car in the accident that killed popular "Fast & Furious" actor Paul Walker on Saturday, a Los Angeles County Sheriff's spokesman said Monday.

The probe now centers on the speed of the 2005 Porsche Carrera GT, driven by Walker's racing team partner, the spokesman told CNN.

Earlier, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Sgt. Richard Cohen told CNN that authorities received a tip Sunday suggesting that another car was at the scene racing the Porsche when it slammed into a light pole and burst into flames.

But investigators have since ruled out the presence of a second vehicle and the theory that the Porsche was drag racing, a spokesman said Monday afternoon.

Speed was a factor in the crash, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office said. A 45 mph speed limit sign was attached to the light pole knocked down by the Porsche.

The car, which sold for $450,000 when new, is a notoriously difficult vehicle to handle, even for professional drivers, according to Autoweek magazine. A top driver called it "scary," the magazine reported Sunday. It is powered by a V-10, 610-hp engine.

Jim Torp, a car enthusiast who was at the charity event that Walker attended before the wreck, said Walker was smiling as he got into the Porsche minutes earlier.

Torp thought he heard a blast in the distance before the car slammed into a light pole, he said. "What the first explosion was, I don't know if their tire blew up, because it sounded like a tire blew on the car," Torp told CNN Monday.

Tire skid marks on the asphalt near the crash site, which indicate a car was doing doughnut spins, also are being looked at, Cohen said. It has not been concluded that they are related to the Walker wreck, he said. The street has a reputation for fast drivers, which spurred a crackdown by deputies two years ago, he said.

Torp told CNN that he looked closely at the skid marks and concluded they were left by a car with smaller tires.

Walker and Roger Rodas, who was believed to be driving, died in the wreck on Hercules Street, a wide business park road, in the community of Valencia inside the city of Santa Clarita, about 30 miles north of Hollywood, according to Walker's publicist and CNN affiliate KCAL.

The autopsies on the remains taken from the wreckage are scheduled for Tuesday, according to Lt. Fred Corral of the Los Angeles County coroner's office. Investigators are still waiting for dental X-rays for each man to help in making the official identifications, Corral said.

Stunned fans, a grieving father

Walker's family issued a written statement Monday expressing thanks for "the outpouring of love and goodwill from his many fans and friends."

They asked that instead of flowers, people make donations to his charity Reach Out Worldwide.

"It's comforting for them to know that the son, brother, and father they love so much is equally adored, respected, and appreciated by so many," the statement said. "Paul founded the organization with the genuine desire to help others, and it's important to his family to keep his memory alive through ROWW."

No memorial service plans have been made, Walker's publicist said Monday.

Stunned by Walker's untimely death, fans, friends and family remembered what he meant to them and what he did for them.

His father remembered him as a loving son who wanted to take a hiatus from acting. A fellow actor said he had just celebrated Walker's 40th birthday. And a U.S. military veteran will forever be grateful for a touching act of generosity.

Day and night since the crash, legions of fans gathered near the charred roadside where Walker died.

Tyrese Gibson, Walker's co-star in several "Fast & Furious" movies, broke down as he laid a yellow flower at the site.

"My heart is hurting so bad no one can make me believe this is real," the singer and actor posted on Instagram. He also shared the duo's last text exchange.

Paul Walker Sr. choked back tears as he remembered his son.

"His heart was so big," he told CNN affiliate KCAL. "I was proud of him every day of his life."

The actor told his father that he wanted to take a hiatus from acting to spend more time with his 15-year-old daughter, Meadow, the elder Walker said. "And then boom, he got another movie. He would say, 'I don't know what to do.'"

He said the actor's siblings are having an especially hard time grappling with the death.

"I'm just ... glad that every time I saw him, I told him I loved him," the father said. "And he would say the same thing to me."

Remarkable generosity

Tales of Walker's philanthropy are not new. CNN confirmed one story from a decade ago when Walker noticed a young U.S. soldier shopping with his fiancee for a wedding ring in a Santa Barbara jewelry store.

"The groom was just back from duty in Iraq, and he was going to be deployed again soon and wanted to buy a wedding ring, but he said he just could not afford it," saleswoman Irene King told CNN. "I don't think the soldier realized how expensive those rings are, about $10,000."

The couple apparently did not know who Walker was, King said.

"Walker called the manager over and said, 'Put that girl's ring on my tab,'" she said. "Walker left all his billing info, and it was a done deal. The couple was stunned. She was thrilled and could not believe someone did this."

King called it "the most generous thing I have ever seen."

Future of franchise

At the time of his death, Walker was working on the seventh film of the franchise, due out next year.

It's unclear how the film's production might proceed. When Oliver Reed died in the middle of the production of "Gladiator," the rest of his scenes included a digitally produced image of his face on another actor's body, Tom O'Neil, editor of the show business website Goldderby.com, told CNN.

In some cases, other actors have filled in for co-stars who have passed away.

"We don't know what they'll do here, or even if they'll just say, "It may be tasteless to proceed at all because we can't be showing Paul Walker in a speeding car, defying death in a movie that ended up being the way he died,'" O'Neil said.

Questionable speed

The wreck took place about 3:30 p.m. Saturday just a few hundred yards from the shop owned by Rodas. Both men had attended a holiday toy drive for Walker's charity hosted at the shop that afternoon.

Antonio Holmes told the Santa Clarita Valley Signal newspaper that he was at the charity event when Walker and Rodas left for a ride in the Porsche.

"We all heard from our location," Holmes told the Signal. "It's a little difficult to know what it was. Someone called it in and said it was a vehicle fire. We all ran around and jumped in cars and grabbed fire extinguishers and immediately went to the vehicle. It was engulfed in flames. There was nothing. They were trapped. Employees, friends of the shop. We tried. We tried. We went through fire extinguishers."

A crowd of grieving fans, curious onlookers and media surrounded the crash site for hours, watching as investigators and firefighters worked to extract the bodies from the wreckage.

Walker and Rodas had planned Saturday as a day to help survivors of Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines. The car shop website invited customers to a "Charity Toy Drive & Automotive Social Gathering."

"During the holiday season, many economically disadvantaged children from around the world are faced with the same dilemma year after year; the lacking of joy and cheer," the invitation read. "Our goal here is to be able to provide aid to these less fortunate children in hopes of helping them grow up to become confident, responsible and productive young adults."

Walker's charity is described as "a network of professionals with first responder skill-sets who augment local expertise when natural disasters strike in order to accelerate relief efforts."

Box office success

Walker's career began on the small screen, first with a commercial for Pampers when he was 2, and then with parts in shows such as "Highway to Heaven" and "Touched by an Angel."

His first few movie roles were as supporting characters in teen flicks, most notably in "Varsity Blues." But his career really took off when he was cast as undercover cop Brian O'Conner infiltrating a street-racing gang in 2001's "The Fast and the Furious."

The box-office success of the surprise summer hit yielded numerous sequels. And along with Vin Diesel, Walker was one of the franchise stalwarts. The six "Fast & Furious" films sold a total of $2.6 billion in tickets worldwide, according to BoxOfficeMojo.

Walker wasn't just a car enthusiast on the silver screen; off screen, the actor competed in the Redline Time Attack racing series.

On his verified Twitter account, Walker described himself as an "outdoorsman, ocean addict, adrenaline junkie ... and I do some acting on the side."

Walker also is the star of "Hours," an independent film scheduled to be released December 13 about a father struggling to keep his newborn infant alive in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans.

Read more: Paul Walker death: Police rule out second car | Entertainment - KCCI Home
    Last edited by JadeStar70; December 2nd, 2013 at 08:25 PM.
    Brookie likes this.

This is so sad! I feel like a piece of my teen years are gone as well.

RIP Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    Remarkable generosity

Tales of Walker's philanthropy are not new. CNN confirmed one story from a decade ago when Walker noticed a young U.S. soldier shopping with his fiancee for a wedding ring in a Santa Barbara jewelry store.

"The groom was just back from duty in Iraq, and he was going to be deployed again soon and wanted to buy a wedding ring, but he said he just could not afford it," saleswoman Irene King told CNN. "I don't think the soldier realized how expensive those rings are, about $10,000."

The couple apparently did not know who Walker was, King said.

"Walker called the manager over and said, 'Put that girl's ring on my tab,'" she said. "Walker left all his billing info, and it was a done deal. The couple was stunned. She was thrilled and could not believe someone did this."

King called it "the most generous thing I have ever seen."
    That is rad

The hand full of production people I know that had worked with him over the years on one movie or another have always said he was a pretty cool dude to work with, down to earth, no ego. The type of guy that would acknowledge and chill with production peeps during the down time...

(Which is becoming more rare, I think. There are lot of actors out there treat everyone, with the exception of the director, sometimes, like sh*t. With that said I don't think everyone has to become besties with everyone on set, but it's cool to know there are still people in the industry that treat others nicely regardless of "status", as opposed to actors say, berating a P.A. for looking in their general direction, you know? Anyway... )

I haven't seen a ton of his movies, but I've always liked/respected him based on those stories, and all of the charity work he's done over the years (that hasn't been publicly acknowledged).
    JadeStar70 likes this.

Default Paul Walker's car wasn't racing, source says; speed in curve may have been a factor

Paul Walker&#39;s car wasn&#39;t racing, source says; speed in curve may have been a factor - NBC News.com

Maria Elena Fernandez NBC News

4 hours ago

The Porsche that actor Paul Walker was riding in when he died on Saturday was traveling at approximately 40 to 45 mph when it came to a bend in the road where the speed limit drops to about 15 mph, a law enforcement official familiar with the investigation told NBC News on Monday. It was in that vicinity where the driver, Roger Rodas, apparently lost control of the vehicle, ending in the fiery solo accident, the source said.

Walker, 40, and Rodas, 38, were killed at the scene, police said. Their autopsies were put on hold Monday, as the Los Angeles Medical Examiner's Office waits for dental X-rays for each man to aid in making the official identifications, said Craig Harvey, chief of the coroner's operations bureau.

The star of the "Fast & Furious" film franchise died in a car accident on Nov. 30, 2013. He was 40.

In an interview with KNBC on Monday, Walker's heartbroken father said Paul was "the most courageous" of his sons, even as a child. He once stood up for a small boy who was being bullied by "a big husky guy."

“Paul never thought anybody was beneath him," Paul William Walker III said. "When he hugged me it was like this is a special, special thing. He had this way, this bounce, the way he walked, I always kidded him about the way he walked.”

To moviegoers, Walker was the sexy “Fast and Furious” FBI agent who infiltrated the local street racing scene and never let go. Off screen, the actor loved fast cars just as much as his alter-ego but lived a quiet, philanthropic life centered around his 15-year-old daughter Meadow, who moved in with him this year.

Walker died while attending a charity event for Reach Out Worldwide, an organization he founded after he volunteered in Haiti in 2010, following the island’s devastating earthquakes, and witnessed first-hand the lack of resources needed to deal with natural disasters. The car show and toy drive event was held at Walker’s automotive shop Always Evolving in Valencia, just north of Los Angeles, with proceeds earmarked for families affected by the typhoon in the Philippines and a tornado in Indiana.

"Paul wasn't someone who would just write a check and lend his name to an organization; he was the heart and soul of Reach Out Worldwide,” JD Dorfman, who worked at Reach Out Worldwide, told Christian Today. “Paul was the first one in and the last one out; he led by example and his hard work and dedication inspired everyone who had the privilege of working with him.”

According to Dorfman, Walker led one of the first teams into the hardest hit areas of Haiti and later traveled to Chile to take water and medical aid after the earthquake and tsunami there. He also cleared debris and helped people move back into their homes after the tornadoes in Alabama. A friend of Walker’s who attended the car show event on Saturday told E! that the organization meant “everything” to the actor and he put "everything he could" into his charity.

"He had been so happy," Townsend said. "He was there at the event and had managed to raise thousands and so many people had brought toys. “So many people had come out to support the charity and he was with his friends. It was a great day for him. He was so overwhelmed to have so much support."

Walker went for a ride in a red limited-edition Porsche Carrera GT with Rodas, his friend and chief executive officer of Always Evolving, when the accident happened. Walker was in the passenger seat, and speed may have been a factor, the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Office said. The car knocked over a tree and a concrete lamppost. About 20 witnesses told police they tried to extinguish the fire to remove the two men from the burning vehicle but they were unsuccessful. By the time, the sheriff's office arrived on the scene, the car was engulfed, police said.

"[My son] tried to extinguish the car," said Jim Torp, who attended the event and heard the crash, in an interview with "Access Hollywood." "It was a small flame when he got there. He put the fire extinguisher on, and then the car blew up. Within split seconds, I was trying to get other people from AE up there to help. Everybody thought it was a special effects explosion, because there's a special effects place right behind the studio."

In an article on Sunday, Autoweek said that Always Evolving purchased the Porsche in the spring and that "it is a difficult car to drive for even professionals, with one top driver calling its handling 'scary.'

The actor's father said his son usually liked to race his cars at the track because “the last thing I want to do is hurt somebody driving crazy, that’s the last thing I want to do.”

Walker’s daughter, Meadow, was also at the car show to support her father. The 15-year-old moved in with her father full-time this year, after growing up in Hawaii with her mother, Rebecca McBrain, and visiting her father regularly over the years. The actor told Entertainment Weekly in March that his daughter had given him a new sense of home.

“My heart was desperate for so many years with the situation with my daughter,” he said. “She’s living in Hawaii and she’s there and I’m running here. My daughter lives with me full-time now and she’s the best partner I’ve ever had. It’s so nuts. I’ve never had anything like this in my life. I’ve been so transient, I’ve been on my own since I was 16. I didn’t even have my own place until I was 32 years old. I literally lived out of bags for 16-plus years.”

Andrew Blankstein of the NBC News Investigative Unit contributed to this report.

I am really shocked how much this whole thing has affected me. Some things just hit home with us more than others. I guess he was one of those few Hollywood stars that I connected with, personally.
    PoisonGirl likes this.

Thread Information