Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree159Likes

Thread: Paul McCartney finally admits that Wings sucked

Silver Member

He's too hard on himself regarding his post-Beatles discography. Wings was well-known. How many musicians/lead singers come out of a huge band like that and are able to become a household name again with another band? Sure, the quality of the output can't compare in totality or even come close to The Beatles' discography, but I still listen to Band on the Run to this day. That album is right up there with The Beatles. It's one of my favorite albums. The song BOTR is a classic. The melodies, his vocals, all fantastic. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five could beat out a lot of songs right now. What made Wings so viable was he was touring and not relying on Beatles music to do it, at least for the beginning years. But he always has a few good songs on every album post-Beatles.

It's a non-Wings album, but I love Ram. What a great album. It didn't get its due back when it came out, but as time goes on music critics look back on it more fondly. The critics were too hard on Paul, expecting something bigger, I guess, on the heels of the Beatles. I read it's considered to be the first indie album. I can see that. It's very eclectic. Too Many People is stunning musically and directed at John Lennon when the scars were still there about their breakup. As a solo artist, it showed his versatility and, to me, his brilliance.

I have his last album, New, and it's really great. His voice is diminished, but the melodies are all there, which is why I love Paul. He's such a melodic songwriter.

Macca can never cut Wings down just for this song alone.

Last edited by LameAnn; July 17th, 2016 at 05:57 PM.

I agree with Paul. Wings sucks goat cock.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

The only good song from them was Live and Let Die.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I don't think they SUCKED but yeah, it's not like their albums were masterpieces or anything. Probably one or two good songs on each album but that's about it. With one exception - I still adore Band on the Run, just listened to it a few weeks ago, and for me it still holds up. Not a bad song to be had on that one.

Of course Linda's harmonies were always off-key, she was no singer, but I can even appreciate that. Just heard Uncle Albert on the radio this week and though that's not technically from a Wings album, it's a great little song. Maybe I'm Amazed, Every Night from his first album are good too.

But that fucking Christmas song? I LOATHE.
    If that's the way Sir Paul feels, then that's the way he feels, but the music of Wings is deep in my heart and memories as a teen. Band on the Run must be in my top three albums. Faves are Call Me Back Again and Let Me Roll It where Paul used his rock voice (like on Lady Madonna), which I prefer. I saw Wings in 1976, two nights in a row. That's the movie Rockshow and I watch it any time I catch it on tv. He did too many sing songy over the top sweet songs, but I love the rock songs. The band itself was great. The guitarist, Jimmy McCullogh was superb and died too young. When Linda sang Cook of the House we sang along. The first McCartney album, Venus and Mars, RedRose Speedway. So much joy.

When is he going to finally admit he is Faux Paul?

Paul McCartney never wrote "Maybe I'm Amazed." He never formed the band Wings. He never clashed with Yoko, became a vegetarian, or fathered any of his children. When Queen Elizabeth knighted him in 1997, she was actually knighting someone else. This is because, conspiracy-minded Beatlemaniacs say, Paul McCartney secretly died in 1966. Theorists claim the other Beatles covered up his death — hiring someone who looked like him, sang like him, and had the same jovial personality. But the guilt eventually got to them and they began hiding clues in their music.

In the song "Taxman," George Harrison gave his "advice for those who die," meaning Paul. The entireSgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album was awash with Paul-is-dead clues: the Beatles had formed a "new" band featuring a fictional member named Billy Shears — supposedly the name of Paul's replacement. The album contained John Lennon's "A Day in the Life," which had the lyrics "He blew his mind out in a car" and the recorded phrase "Paul is dead, miss him, miss him," which becomes evident only when the song is played backward. Lennon also mumbled, "I buried Paul" at the end of "Strawberry Fields Forever" (in interviews, Lennon said the phrase was actually "cranberry sauce" and denied the existence of any backward messages).

Paul-is-dead believers think the Beatles accompanied these backward tape loops and veiled references to death with album covers that illustrated the loss of their friend.

The original cover of 1966's Yesterday and Today album featured the Beatles posed amid raw meat and dismembered doll parts — symbolizing McCartney's gruesome accident. If fans placed a mirror in front of the Sgt. Pepper album cover, the words Lonely Hearts on the drum logo could be read as "1 ONE 1 X HE DIE 1 ONE 1." And of course, there's the Abbey Road cover, on which John, George and Ringo forwent all pretense and pretended to cross the street as a funeral procession. John wore all white, like a clergyman. Ringo, the mourner, dressed in black. George donned jeans, like a gravedigger. Paul wore no shoes (he didn't need them, because he was dead) and walked out of step with the others.

If Paul is dead, then his imposter is still at large. He met and married Linda Eastman, with whom he had four children before losing her to breast cancer in 1998. He released a live album in 1993 called Paul Is Live (likely story), and produced more than 20 solo albums — and that's not even counting the ones released by Wings. Then he endured a horrible divorce from Heather Mills, which may have made him wish he were dead — or, at least, were still Billy Shears. So who is the real McCartney? The world may never know.

Paul Is Dead - Conspiracy Theories - TIME

A*O

The "fake Paul" theory has been used to explain the way his songwriting suddenly deteriorated from sublime (Yesterday) to embarrassing (Hey Jude, Mull of Kintyre + many others). I think it's much more likely that he fried his brain with industrial quantities of drugs.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Wom wom wom ... the mood is right!
    wom wom wom ... the spirit up!
    That song makes me want to wom wom wom people up the back of the head. Especially those singing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty Bike View Post
    I hated "Müll of Kintyre" with the fire of a thousand suns, though.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I love the Beatles and I love Wings and I love that Christmas song so yeah.
    I'mNotBitter and ikmccall like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I love Paul, and I love corny Christmas songs, but that xmas song.....ughhh. The choir of children sing their song, they've practiced all year long! Ding dong ding dong ding dong! Holy shit.
    This seems like a lot of effort just to marry one of the Jonas Brothers. - ChemicalHelena

Syd

I hate both bands. The difference for me is, I know the Beatles did not suck, I just hate about 95% of their music**. Wings, on the other hand, SUCKED ASS.

**I really wish my younger brother were still alive so I could fight with him again about his beloved Beatles. I loved torturing him with this opinion.

I like alot of Wings songs: "Band on the Run", 'Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five", "Silly Love Songs". Very much a part of my 1970's childhood.

True story (pardon me if I've told it before): When I was in elementary school, I was taking a vocabulary test and the word was "grudge". Had to use it in a sentence so I wrote: "The country judge held a grudge." (from Band on the Run).
    Wisher and bootspaige like this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    That song makes me want to wom wom wom people up the back of the head. Especially those singing it.
    wom wom wom The party's on!
    wom wom wom The feeling's here!

I hate both bands. The difference for me is, I know the Beatles did not suck, I just hate about 95% of their music**. Wings, on the other hand, SUCKED ASS.
    I was looking up some stuff about Wings and their relative sucess or lack of it:

14 top 10 singles in the US
    12 top 10 singles in the UK
    All 23 singles released by Wings made it into the US Top 40
    Every one of Wings 9 albums went Top 10 in both the US and UK

Also, I never even HEARD of "Mull of Kintyre" but apparently it was so popular in Britain when it was released in 1977, it was the top-selling single in UK history.
    Wisher, I'mNotBitter and ikmccall like this.

If chart popularity or singles sales was a gauge of actual quality in music we'd all worship Taylor Swift and Justin Beiber

You know who never had a top 10 hit in the US- Bob Marley, Joni Mitchell, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, The Ramones...

oh, and Wings suck
    twitchy2.0, czb, SHELLEE and 1 others like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I love Wings.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information