Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Is Patrick Swayze dying?

Is tb tubercolosis or what?
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    If you sleep 8 hours, then you're smoking 80 ciggies in a 16 hour span, so that's like a cigarette every 12 minutes.

Good grief, I can't imagine the smell.
    My dad was like that. If he was awake, he had a lit cigarette. Yes, the smell was awful, but he never knew it. Smoked like that for about 35+ years & quit cold turkey after seeing a commercial that alarmed him. Just finished chemo for lung cancer.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    Is tb tubercolosis or what?
    Yep. Killed her on July 7, 1967 4 months before her 54th birthday.
    Her mom survived her!

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    My dad was like that. If he was awake, he had a lit cigarette. Yes, the smell was awful, but he never knew it. Smoked like that for about 35+ years & quit cold turkey after seeing a commercial that alarmed him. Just finished chemo for lung cancer.
    Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, Lobelia. How old is he and what is
    his prognosis?
    Last edited by Tati; March 11th, 2008 at 08:09 PM.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Thanks. He's 60, and actually, they're saying he's going to be fine, and that the cancer's gone. It's kind of amazing. Of course, he still has COPD really bad. I just mention all this because the thread was discussing smoking, and I absolutely hate what smoking does to people. My dad never gave a rip about what smoking *might* do to him someday, but he's got plenty of time to think about it now, as he struggles to breathe every day.

Funny though, lots of ex-smokers seem to be like this - he can't STAND the smell of cigarette smoke now! He can smell it a block away & starts bitching.

I'm happy for you and your family that his chemo seems to
    have caught on! Let's hope they nipped it in the bud!
    Yeah, one of my previous bosses and his wife were heavy
    smokers. He quit, she didn't. He became the anti smoking
    nazi: she isn't allowed to smoke inside their home or in
    his car. Her car is fine, but he won't ride with her, LOL.
    They're still married, going on 45 years!

***** celeb

^^^Yep, perfect example!

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Effie!! Don't be killing yourself!

I used to smoke and i can't stand the smell either--it repulses me. My co-workers go for a smoke break and they come back and the sick smell is emanating in about a 20 feet circle around them. I am really sensitve to it---i can smell smoke from my neighbours! It actually comes through the bathtub faucet .
    I had no idea of the smell when i was smoking either...i honestly used to think no one could smell it on me, or in my apartment, or on my clothes. Sheesh.

Heathersharon--way to go! You've made it through the hardest part and the good news is that YOU NEVER HAVE TO SMOKE AGAIN. One tip--don't ever just have 'one drag' or just 'one smoke'. It's like an alcoholic having just one drink. It will lead you back to addiction again (learned the hard way).
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Thanks. He's 60, and actually, they're saying he's going to be fine, and that the cancer's gone. It's kind of amazing. Of course, he still has COPD really bad. I just mention all this because the thread was discussing smoking, and I absolutely hate what smoking does to people. My dad never gave a rip about what smoking *might* do to him someday, but he's got plenty of time to think about it now, as he struggles to breathe every day.

Funny though, lots of ex-smokers seem to be like this - he can't STAND the smell of cigarette smoke now! He can smell it a block away & starts bitching.

Most ex smokers can't stand the smell or sight of cigs cause they're a trigger. In fact many anti smoking ads are triggers. One poster on another message board had a sig of a lite cigarette burning down like the 'loading bar' on a computer download - followed by "congratulations you have now installed cancer". I only had to see the image of that smoldering cig a few times before I had to rush out to the store for a pack.

Cigarettes are one of the most addictive substances on Earth. You'll have an easier time quitting alcohol or drugs. Those who didn't pick up the habit in school, usually turn to it during a time of stress. When the pressure's on, it's hard to think about the future. Now a good smoke is a genuine stress buster, and once it's clicked for you, you're hooked (Sadly though, it seems like there are only 2 or 3 'good smokes' per pack now)! Personally, I didn't start smoking seriously until after 30. It was a bad time. At one time I had a doctor tell me I was killing myself, and my first thought was "Great. I'm cutting years of trouble off of my life".

Nowadays I console myself with stories about smokers who live to be 100, inspite of their 2 pack a day habits. Infact there was one woman in France who had briefly attained the "World's Oldest" record (tha's the problem with the title. You can't hold on to it very long). She was over 121. From the time she was a teen ager she smoked over a pack a day, until her family convinced her to give it up at age 117 - for the sake of her health. I like to think that they cut 5 years of her life. BTW the lady in question worked as a waitress/barmaid in Paris, when van Gogh used to live there. She had personally met him on a few occassions, and described him as "horrible, nasty, and smelly". death certainly seems to have improved his reputation, as well as his generally likability! I wonder how many of today's crazy homless are tomorrow's van Gogh's? It crosses my mind every time I pass a drunk in the street holding out his paper cup for change.

Just saying, try not to be too hard on your dad. It is a major addiction.
    Last edited by AgentOrange; March 9th, 2008 at 10:50 AM.

^^ I can't stand the smell because it's awful! I quit cold-turkey some years ago... two I think? Can't stand the smell, but I never liked it even when I smoked!

Don't a lot of cigarette have more chemicals in them now that they used to? Infact aren't ready-rolled cigarettes quite a late invention in the 20th century?

Heathersharon - good luck! and don't give up. Its not easy, but it is worth it!
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Just saying, try not to be too hard on your dad. It is a major addiction.
    I understand all that, and I don't think I'm being hard on him. Especially considering that he was such an obnoxious asshole about his smoking for my whole life. He smoked in the car, with me in the back seat choking for air. You couldn't have a meal with him or visit with him for 5 minutes or anything at ALL without having to breathe smoke. Baby in the room? Oh well, here baby, have some second-hand smoke. He wouldn't delay having a cigarette for anyone or anything, and if anybody complained, he would verbally rip their head off.

When I got old enough to choose whether or not I wanted to see him, I avoided him a lot because I couldn't tolerate the smoke. I could go on & on, but that's not really the point of this thread.

One more thing tho, he swears that he has no desire to smoke anymore. I don't think the smell of smoke is a trigger for him. He just says it stinks. He hasn't had a single cigarette since he quit, about 5 years ago.

ETA: That was so interesting about Van Gogh!

IOL: Swayze ditches movie role

Swayze ditches movie role
    11/03/2008 - 4:02:25 PM

Patrick Swayze has pulled out of his new movie 'Fired Up!' as he
    battles pancreatic cancer.

The 'Dirty Dancing' star was last week revealed to be suffering
    from the deadly disease and undergoing chemotherapy treatment.

Although his spokesperson Annett Wolf claimed he is "continuing
    his normal schedule", it has been confirmed that Swayze has
    dropped out of his latest project, in which he was due to play
    a gay cheerleading instructor.
    Source: Ireland Online

***** celeb

Did you see the picture of him on the next National Enquirer, he is almost unrecognizable already.

Swayze combines chemo with cigarettes

By staff writers March 13, 2008 11:45am

Patrick Swayze ... photographed smoking outside hospital by the National Enquirer

CANCER-stricken Patrick Swayze is still smoking, even as he undergoes chemotherapy in an attempt to save his life.

In exclusive pictures taken by The National Enquirer after he left Stanford Cancer Center, Swayze is shown with a cigarette in his mouth moments before he boarded his plane at San Carlos Airport.
    The photos are believed to be the first of Swayze since his diagnosis.
    Doctors have revealed is undergoing an indefinite course of chemotherapy to treat his aggressive cancer.

The 55-year-old star's publicist recently revealed Swayze is suffering from pancreatic cancer, just days after his Roadhouse co-star, blues guitarist Jeff Healey, passed away after a life-long battle with cancer at the age of 41.
    Related links

The star has reportedly been a three-pack-a-day smoker for years, and smoking is one of the major risk factors for pancreatic cancer.

'Warrior'

Patrick’s brother, Don Swayze told People magazine the "Dirty Dancing" star was "a warrior" and he would keep fighting the cancer.

"There have been a lot of rumors swirling that Swayze had lost all of his hair, that he had gotten really gaunt. None of this, says his brother Don, is true," People editor Galina Espinoza said.

"This is a guy that tackles everything head on," Espinoza explained. "He does not show fear."

Experimental drugs

Swayze's family told The Sun he is undergoing experimental treatment to save his life and is “determined to beat” pancreatic cancer.
    Swayze is enduring weekly chemotherapy combined with a new drug.
    His mother Patsy said: “It breaks my heart to know he’s suffering.
    “But he bears it. He’s hanging in there and getting the best treatment he can. He doesn’t deserve to get this. He’s got such a big heart.”
    Swayze's doctors said they were "otimistic" about the star's chances of recovery.
    With the Daily Telegraph

Source: Swayze combines chemo with cigarettes | NEWS.com.au Entertainment

Wow, I don't know what to say if these pics are current. He does look very gaunt so it looks like it. I guess if you're already dying you may as well enjoy yourself, but he wants to beat this? I'm just in shock!

I think he'll be gone in a month or less

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Me too. I almost wish celebrities would be honest (not that they owe us anything) but stop putting out the whole "he will beat this, he is fighting hard, he knows he will pull through etc." It would be so awesome, and ultimately a better tribute, if he (or his family or whoever) said--yeah, he will continue to fight, but the reality is that he is not going to beat this, so please pray and send your love. And he could spend his last days in peace. I don't know if that makes any sense. I just feel frustrated at what i feel is the extent to which celebs protest what the entire world pretty much knows to be true.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Thread Information