Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oprah Winfrey dedicates show to her late dog

^^For sure! They're a member of your family. Sometimes you like them better than your human family members!

I think if Oprah could have picked who's time it was to go, between Sophie and Stedman, it would have been a hard decision for her.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post
    I'm so sorry for your loss GaPeach! That must have been very hard. Were your dogs Shar-Peis? They certainly were cute. I felt bad when Oprah was crying. It's very difficult to lose a pet.
    yes they were..... and they were the best dogs I have ever seen.
    Mu used to calm my dogs because she was so calm.

when my daughter dropped them off, when she went out of town she brought them with a diaper bag, she never treated them like dogs. Mulan used to sit in my lap and eat popcorn, she also smiled - she looked like Mr.McGoo when she smiled. Ushi was always sick, she had ear problems. They were only six when they passed away. Both from the same litter. Both from the same illness. Kidney failure, it happens to shar-pei's around "middle age" if they don't get it they can live to be around 13. Probably caused by all the inbreeding.

As you can tell I'm not over it. I have three dogs of my own (not shar-pei's) but my granddoggys made my heart happy.

If I had my way only licensed dog breeders would be able to have puppies and they would be regulated.

Bronze Member

I'm so sorry for your loss-it's so hard to lose a pet. They really are like member of your family.

When I lost my Sweetheart (he was a cat, a big beautiful cat), I was 19 years old. I'm now 29, and I still keep his picture on my dresser. My dad still has a box of his ashes in my room at his house in Florida, with his collar and tags with it.

But I have to pose a question to the person who said that all pet stores are not evil. I'm interested in your thoughts. Why are some of these pet stores not evil?

Hit By Ban Bus!

thanks everyone.

I have never met a Pet Store that had pets in them that took good care of them. The birds didn't have enough seed, the cats were kept in tiny cages and dogs are kept on cages with wire bottoms so the poop can fall through, no walks either. I go to pet stores to by food and thats all. I even got into it with PetsMart for taking a chunk out of my dogs leg when I had her groomed there. grrrrr

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by S&R's Mom View Post
    One thing I never would have thought was major puppy mills are owned and operated by alot of the Amish community. Dogs are just livestock to these folkes and they don't deserve to be treated well.
    I was surprised by that as well. I can understand the livestock comparison but they'd never treat their cows or horses the way those dogs are treated. Considering breeding is such a big business you'd think they'd ensure the health of the dogs.

I fast-forwarded through a good portion of the show. Having just lost my four-legged baby it was very difficult to watch. Especially when some of the pound puppies on their way to execution looked just like him.

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post

If I had my way only licensed dog breeders would be able to have puppies and they would be regulated.
    I agree. I wish we had some laws to prevent dog breeding,unless the person proves they know what they are doing. Also-it ought to be against the law for dogs to remain un-neutered. Something has to be done-all these dogs slaughtered daily. That was the Fort Worth dog shelter that agreed to be filmed-that man in charge really hoped it would help stop what he is forced to do daily. 5 or so dogs were going to be put down that day & Oprah's film crew adopted 3! Also in FTW,5 dogs are under quarentine for run-ins they had with rabid skunks! All from different areas. Now imagine if those were homeless dogs,no one would even know. Very dangerous!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I generally can't stand Oprah, but her tribute and love for her dog makes me honor her for this. I applaud her show about the puppy mills, even though I couldn't watch it. I don't need to be educated about animal abuse. She did a valuable service in doing this. I hope it helps and makes an impression........I hope she keeps up with it, she is powerful and may make a difference.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information