Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oprah Winfrey dedicates show to her late dog

Quote Originally Posted by crackho View Post
    Why doesn't the bitch call out stars like Britney and Paris who buy pets at pet stores that undoubtedly support mills instead of adopting from the humane society or other type of rescue league? Because her real concern is capitalism.
    I agree with you. But I think that if Oprah mentioned Paris & co, then she'd get into truble. She's not entitled to call out on people without their explicit consent, she'd make a mistake.
    Three reasons to be teacher: June, July, August.

I watched the show,a real tear jerker from start to finish. Listen: it is so hard to lose a pet,if my worst enemy lost one I would still sit right down and cry with 'em.
    She had on a man who, to get her attention actually put up a giant bulletin boad on her route to work saying"Oprah,please do a show on puppy mills." She bit! He was on. He rides around all day to various puppy mills to pick up their rejects-usually male puppies & old females. The mill owners (the good ones he says) call & say "You have X time to come pick up this dog or I am going to shoot her"(this is not against the law.) The one day they (and Lucy what-her-name) picked up 75 dogs from different mills. They bring them to this guy's big farm,wash & groom,them work with the doggy (some have never once been out of a cage) and then they get adopted. He has 10 dogs-unadoptable ones,he keeps. I fell in love with the man. The head of ASPCA was there. This is what they all said: do not buy from a pet store. Either buy from a decent pet breeder (they have no problem with that,as these people devote their lives to raising well loved dogs) or rescue,but spay & neuter!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Bronze Member

I watched the show too. Through tears I might add. One thing I never would have thought was major puppy mills are owned and operated by alot of the Amish community. Dogs are just livestock to these folkes and they don't deserve to be treated well. Surely God will look down on these religious people for their treatment of animals. If I were to buy a pet it would not come from a pet store!!!
    I would adopt from the local Humane Shelter.
    There is no excuse not to spay or neuter your pet!

Sounds like it was a good show, I saw the tribute video they made about Sophie. It was sad Losing your best friend hurts, even if you hate Oprah I think you can understand how painful it is for her.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I watched the show,a real tear jerker from start to finish. Listen: it is so hard to lose a pet,if my worst enemy lost one I would still sit right down and cry with 'em.
    She had on a man who, to get her attention actually put up a giant bulletin boad on her route to work saying"Oprah,please do a show on puppy mills." She bit! He was on. He rides around all day to various puppy mills to pick up their rejects-usually male puppies & old females. The mill owners (the good ones he says) call & say "You have X time to come pick up this dog or I am going to shoot her"(this is not against the law.) The one day they (and Lucy what-her-name) picked up 75 dogs from different mills. They bring them to this guy's big farm,wash & groom,them work with the doggy (some have never once been out of a cage) and then they get adopted. He has 10 dogs-unadoptable ones,he keeps. I fell in love with the man. The head of ASPCA was there. This is what they all said: do not buy from a pet store. Either buy from a decent pet breeder (they have no problem with that,as these people devote their lives to raising well loved dogs) or rescue,but spay & neuter!
    Thanks for recapping McJag. I watched as well. Oprah wasn't capitalizing on her dog's death. For once, this was not a show off moment for her. I knew a bit about puppy mills but what the show revealed was just horrific. Poor breeder females being kept in chicken coops, never to be handled by humans. Never to have affection from humans, only to give birth to puppies until they're too old to do that. Then shot in the head. Some of the puppies had bloody paws from standing for hours on the wire cages. These cages were stacked, three deep, on one another. One idiot owner, would shuttle the dogs from a cage to a hamster wheel, where they had to run all day. The abuse these dogs suffer is heartbreaking. I am so glad Oprah did this show.

Don't ever buy a dog from a pet shop!

I thought it was great, I'm so glad she is trying to get the word out about puppy mills.. this day and age there are still so many that have no idea what they are and why they SHOULD NOT BUY FROM A PET STORE.. they said 99% of dogs in petstores come from mills.
    Awareness is the only hope. And some ppl still have no clue.

http://humanesociety.org/stoppuppymills
    Last edited by HelpMeRhonda; April 5th, 2008 at 09:59 AM.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    Sounds like it was a good show, I saw the tribute video they made about Sophie. It was sad Losing your best friend hurts, even if you hate Oprah I think you can understand how painful it is for her.
    Yes. And she had her for 13 years. I had no idea she took her to work with her everyday.

ps- I take my dog to work everyday.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

I totally understand her, I would be devastated if my cats would die. They are so much nicer than humans.
    we don't have to make love to have an orgasm

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Quote Originally Posted by S&R's Mom View Post
    I watched the show too. Through tears I might add. One thing I never would have thought was major puppy mills are owned and operated by alot of the Amish community. Dogs are just livestock to these folkes and they don't deserve to be treated well. Surely God will look down on these religious people for their treatment of animals. If I were to buy a pet it would not come from a pet store!!!
    I would adopt from the local Humane Shelter.
    There is no excuse not to spay or neuter your pet!
    I had no idea!That's horrible.
    And a lot of them act like they're more pure than the rest of us. Please.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

at risk of being pelted with tomatoes - while i agree we should be looking in animal shelters first, not all pet stores are evil...
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Hit By Ban Bus!

I didn't watch the show because my granddoggy Ushi passed in August and Mulan (the blonde) just passed in March. I knew I would be a basket case. If I watched the show.

I'm always glad when people speak up for animals. I have a friend who just adopted a lab who was siezed from a puppy mill - they had over 400 dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post

I didn't watch the show because my granddoggy Ushi passed in August and Mulan (the blonde) just passed in March. I knew I would be a basket case. If I watched the show.

I'm always glad when people speak up for animals. I have a friend who just adopted a lab who was siezed from a puppy mill - they had over 400 dogs.
    Sweet doggies. It was a 4 box of Kleenex show,trust me.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I didn't watch the show either...I can't even watch those Pedigree commercials with the dog in the pound saying "I don't know how I ended up here" without tearing up.

But, I know enough about puppy mills and all that stuff already. If Oprah educated some people who don't, then it was a good thing.

I'm so sorry for your loss GaPeach! That must have been very hard. Were your dogs Shar-Peis? They certainly were cute. I felt bad when Oprah was crying. It's very difficult to lose a pet.

Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post
    I'm so sorry for your loss GaPeach! That must have been very hard. Were your dogs Shar-Peis? They certainly were cute. I felt bad when Oprah was crying. It's very difficult to lose a pet.
    We all knew just how she felt! It is so bad to lose one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information