Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree207Likes

Thread: Oprah Winfrey Accuses Trois Pommes Clerk of Discrimination, Brand Rep Denies It

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I disagree with much of this. I am more likely to believe that she had to work extra hard because she is black and because she is a woman. The fact that she has built this empire is something to admire, even if you don't like her as a person. I am a white woman, about the same age, and can tell you there are many roadblocks that my male counterparts did not have to scale.
    I agree, her empire is absolutely something to admire.

Quote Originally Posted by ribbit View Post
    Notice how she's shifted it from being about race to being about "how she looked" and "status."
    She never said it was about race, that was everyone else's assumption.
    ribbit and sluce like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

"I'm in a store and the person doesn't obviously know that I carry the black card..."
    I just don't know what to say about that. Most people (honestly) probably don't know what teh "black card" is and are probably thinking "race card". Oprah sitting around thinking that the whole damn world should know that she carried "the black card" is just typical Oprah, I guess. Sadly, I think she's finding out that she needs to go sit on her mountain in Hawaii - where I'm sure they are all aware they are amongst greatness. Some shopgirl in Switzerland didn't recognize Oprah!
    Kittylady and boytoy like this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    "I'm in a store and the person doesn't obviously know that I carry the black card..."
    I just don't know what to say about that. Most people (honestly) probably don't know what teh "black card" is and are probably thinking "race card". Oprah sitting around thinking that the whole damn world should know that she carried "the black card" is just typical Oprah, I guess. Sadly, I think she's finding out that she needs to go sit on her mountain in Hawaii - where I'm sure they are all aware they are amongst greatness. Some shopgirl in Switzerland didn't recognize Oprah!
    You said exactly what I was thinking. I have no idea what a "black card" is and if you breeze through the articles it makes it sound racist. I did eventually surmise that is was a 'no limit' type of card - but understand how people assume 'race card".

A black card is an American Express Centurion. Only multi-millionaires are invited to have the card, I'm pretty sure you can't just apply for it.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I agree that people who are unaware of the Am Ex Black Card could see that as racist. However, a clerk in a shop that sell this merchandise knows what a black card is. It was silly for her to not be willing to show the bag to any client who asks. Fool. For the record the balck card is crazy IMO. I would never pay an annual fee of $1000-5000 to carry their card.

Ribbit - I get that you hate Oprah (as many do) but try to keep an open mind instead of assuming.
    lizzybabe likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

fun pretentious rich people fact- the black card is made of metal and it's heavy.

sluce, lizzybabe and Bombshell like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    fun pretentious rich people fact- the black card is made of metal and it's heavy.

There! It can double as a weapon.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I agree that people who are unaware of the Am Ex Black Card could see that as racist. However, a clerk in a shop that sell this merchandise knows what a black card is. It was silly for her to not be willing to show the bag to any client who asks. Fool. For the record the balck card is crazy IMO. I would never pay an annual fee of $1000-5000 to carry their card.

Ribbit - I get that you hate Oprah (as many do) but try to keep an open mind instead of assuming.

Unless Oprah got it out and started waving it or the assistant had x-ray vision to see into her wallet there's no way to tell that she was a black card holder.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Hit By Ban Bus!

I don't hate Oprah, I actually admire her a lot. I just think she's incredibly out of touch because of her wealth which is understandable. However when she tries to share a story like this which is not what it would mean to a regular person it's off putting.

I disagree with her comment in the article that "anyone" should be able to walk into a store and look at whatever they want. No. Sales people and store owners shouldn't have to play show and tell with everyone who walks into a store playing window shop. Most sales clerks work hard and don't make that much money. Taking up their time when you have no intention of buying is annoying. Considering she was in the store for less than five minutes and didn't even have a purse with her, she seems like she got the same regular service that anyone else would get. The sales woman showed her the products.

Oprah is used to being treated like a star, it doesn't even register to her that in the big grand scheme of things she's actually not that important in the world. This reminds me of when Madonna wrote the letter to the President of Malawi. They get so sucked in by their status they think it really means something. Obviously Oprah has an incredible life and legacy. But at the end of the day she's not that important to the world as she likes to think.

And by the way, Oprah is the one who brought race into it.

She said

"I say to the woman, 'I would like to see that bag on the shelf.' And she says, 'No, that one's too expensive. I'll show you this one.' I left the store but it proves that racism is still an issue."
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...story-is-a-lie
    Last edited by ribbit; August 13th, 2013 at 05:42 PM.

I disagree with her comment in the article that "anyone" should be able to walk into a store and look at whatever they want. No. Sales people and store owners shouldn't have to play show and tell with everyone who walks into a store playing window shop. Most sales clerks work hard and don't make that much money. Taking up their time when you have no intention of buying is annoying.

oh fuck right off with that. they're stores, not the freaking Louvre.
    sluce, lizzybabe, Mel1973 and 1 others like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I disagree with her comment in the article that "anyone" should be able to walk into a store and look at whatever they want. No. Sales people and store owners shouldn't have to play show and tell with everyone who walks into a store playing window shop. Most sales clerks work hard and don't make that much money. Taking up their time when you have no intention of buying is annoying. Considering she was in the store for less than five minutes and didn't even have a purse with her, she seems like she got the same regular service that anyone else would get. The sales woman showed her the products.
    I'm sorry but I don't understand this. If the clerk is working too hard to be able to show merchandise to customers, than that's the store's problem, not the customer's. They need more staff and or training. It's not up to them to interpret if someone is going to buy something or not. I believe it's customary for someone to go into a shop and view the product before deciding to buy it. If they don't have time for that, then they're in the wrong business.
    Serendipity, sluce and lizzybabe like this.

Gold Member

I don't hate Oprah, I actually admire her a lot. I just think she's incredibly out of touch because of her wealth which is understandable. However when she tries to share a story like this which is not what it would mean to a regular person it's off putting.

Oprah is used to being treated like a star, it doesn't even register to her that in the big grand scheme of things she's actually not that important in the world. This reminds me of when Madonna wrote the letter to the President of Malawi. They get so sucked in by their status they think it really means something. Obviously Oprah has an incredible life and legacy. But at the end of the day she's not that important to the world as she likes to think.

And by the way, Oprah is the one who brought race into it.

She said

Swiss shop girl: Oprah Winfrey's racism story is... | Stuff.co.nz
    If you work the counter at any store it is your job to help the customers and do your best to accommodate them if they request to see specific merchandise. This woman is in the wrong line of work if she can't get off her duff for two seconds to get a bag down from some shelf. Is reaching up to fetch some bag to show a customer really that taxing? If you can't make the effort to help people, then you shouldn't be working the counter or working in customer service to begin with.

How was this clerk to know if Oprah was just looking/browsing or would actually buy? A lot of people window shop and come back later to buy. Sounds to me like Oprah was going to buy the bag or buy something in the store. She wasn't just "looking."

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by lizzybabe View Post
    If you work the counter at any store it is your job to help the customers and do your best to accommodate them if they request to see specific merchandise. This woman is in the wrong line of work if she can't get off her duff for two seconds to get a bag down from some shelf. Is reaching up to fetch some bag to show a customer really that taxing? If you can't make the effort to help people, then you shouldn't be working the counter or working in customer service to begin with.

How was this clerk to know if Oprah was just looking/browsing or would actually buy? A lot of people window shop and come back later to buy. Sounds to me like Oprah was going to buy the bag or buy something in the store. She wasn't just "looking."

Of course. I just disagreed with her statement that "anyone" should be able to come in a look at whatever they want. If a bunch of kids walked in and wanted a sales clerk to pull down every bag in the shop just to see it, I don't think it would be wrong for a sales clerk to draw the line. I'm not saying that's what happened in this case because obviously it did not.

Maybe the shop girl was racist, maybe there were other circumstances. The excuse that she wouldn't want any customer to come in paw at it doesn't cut it imo. If a customer is going into a high end store for shits and giggles, I doubt they'd engage a saleswoman about the bags, and I'm sure Oprah's demeanor exhibited that she was serious and not just looking at fancy things (like when I go into fancy stores, I'm obviously not in my element.) I'm sure it comes down to snobbishness. Especially since Oprah didn't drop the R word, and even if it's implied, I get it. Why not make a small everyday example of racism that every minority deals with into a national headline and show that it's very much prevelant? My issue is it does throw the shopgirl under the bus when she could've not intended any ill, or just been an average snob.
    Last edited by Brah; August 14th, 2013 at 12:27 AM.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread Information