Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 141
Like Tree207Likes

Thread: Oprah Winfrey Accuses Trois Pommes Clerk of Discrimination, Brand Rep Denies It

  1. #76
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    The sales assistant gives her version of events.

    'I didn't hurt anyone. I don't know why someone as great as her must cannibalize me on TV.
    'If it had all taken place as she claimed, why has she not complained the next day at the wedding of Tina Turner with Trudie Goetz, my boss? She was there also at the Turner wedding as a guest. I don't understand it.
    Hmmmm, so Oprah was rubbing elbows with the store owner and didn't complain then? That certainly hurts the credibility of her story.

    I do love the cannibalism quote. This clerk has balls, I'll give her that.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

  2. #77
    Hit By Ban Bus! rockchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    midwest USA
    Posts
    4,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    oHmmmm, so Oprah was rubbing elbows with the store owner and didn't complain then? That certainly hurts the credibility f her story.

    I do love the cannibalism quote. This clerk has balls, I'll give her that.
    Guess she was waiting for cameras and microphone. I really dislike Oprah, she seems to believe she alone has all the wisdom, all the answers. It's like scoot over God, here comes Oprah.
    SillyME54 and Honeythorn like this.

  3. #78
    Elite Member teforde23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6,239

    Default

    I don't know. I believe Oprah here. Her story just does not ring true to me. I'm not gonna lie, as a 16 year old working at a crappy shoe store in Brooklyn and getting commission I was like this. i had some nerve seeing I was poor my damn self. I don't blame Oprah for not complaining at the wedding because that was a time for celebration and not to talk about the incident.
    Beeyotch likes this.

  4. #79
    Elite Member sluce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Top Secret Spy for Leann Rimes
    Posts
    37,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coolade View Post
    This b*tch is always complaining about acts of racism committed against her. The whole world is so racist, yet she managed to start her successful career in the south (the most racist spot on the globe), get promotion after promotion in a field known for being mostly old, white men, and create an empire through her show and magazine (watched and read by many a white woman). I get it, there is racism everywhere depending on the person, but quit complaining...the world and its inhabitants have been pretty f'ing kind to you.
    I disagree with much of this. I am more likely to believe that she had to work extra hard because she is black and because she is a woman. The fact that she has built this empire is something to admire, even if you don't like her as a person. I am a white woman, about the same age, and can tell you there are many roadblocks that my male counterparts did not have to scale.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

  5. #80
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    915

    Default

    There have been quite a few stories coming out about the snobbishness of that particular store and the Zurich shopping district overall, so right now I'm leaning towards believing Oprah unless facts come out otherwise.

    The clerk's story is radically different from the story Oprah told. One of them is flat-out lying.

  6. #81
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzybabe View Post

    The clerk's story is radically different from the story Oprah told. One of them is flat-out lying.
    I don't see it that way. I find the stories very similar actually. The clerk could have suggested the cheaper option. Maybe she does that for everyone to gauge their interest. Or maybe she's racist and classist. Hard to tell. Oprah opted for the latter interpretation.

    EU store clerks come off as snotty to us in the USA. The worst I was ever treated was by two Italian clerks in a Versace store outside DC. It was pretty dang funny how as soon as I stepped in the door they identified me as a potential miscreant, or at least low class, and tried to make me uncomfortable enough to leave. Silly men. I was just looking at the color saturation of their silk, if it was stamped or dyed through.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

  7. #82
    Elite Member Laurent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Out There
    Posts
    39,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I am a white woman, about the same age, and can tell you there are many roadblocks that my male counterparts did not have to scale.
    Yeah, I've never seen a man in my same position get asked to make or fetch coffee. I have been several times.

    I've actually done it to keep the peace a grand total of zero times.
    sluce, sprynkles and Lobelia like this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

  8. #83
    Elite Member Beeyotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    30,987

    Default

    Sales bitch is full of shit.

    I simply told her that it was like the one I held in my hand, only much more expensive, and that I could show her similar bags.
    So why couldn't she just show her the bag then? The above isn't a good reason and doesn't explain anything about why she couldn't just get the bag she wanted and show it to her.

    And fuck her for making me defend Pope-rah.

  9. #84
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    339

    Default

    Oprah needs to get over herself. Even fancy rich shoppers don't normally drop $35,000 on a bag. The shop girl was probably just testing to see if she really wanted to see it without needlessly embarrassing the customer. But since Oprah waits for no one, she flipped out. Oprah's "racism" sure sounds like a face saving version of "Do you know who I am?"

    If you want to see how highly Oprah thinks of herself, watch her interview with Jani and her parents. You can see that Oprah is still taken aback when Jani doesn't want to be interviewed by the almighty Oprah. Never mind that Jani has one of the worst cases of Schizophrenia in the world.

    Girl With Schizophrenia Loses Touch With Reality Part 1 - YouTube

  10. #85
    Elite Member Kittylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'
    Posts
    21,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Sales bitch is full of shit.



    So why couldn't she just show her the bag then? The above isn't a good reason and doesn't explain anything about why she couldn't just get the bag she wanted and show it to her.

    And fuck her for making me defend Pope-rah.
    If the bag is worth so much and they keep it locked away to reduce the risk of theft then perhaps they were under instructions that it wasn't to come out unless they had a serious customer and not someone who wanted to oooh, aaah, pose with it for ten minutes and then hand it back with a wry smile while saying "Oh I can't... My hubby would simply kill me!". That's a hell of an expensive bag to be repeatedly mauled by handbag whores with a "maybe one day" wistful look in their eyes.
    Bombshell likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

    How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona


  11. #86
    Elite Member Bombshell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    in Delusion
    Posts
    2,615

    Default

    Kittylady, you've just described my Mother in Law. She'd totally do that, and then buy the smaller cheaper version that she was planning on the whole time anyway.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

  12. #87
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    If the bag is worth so much and they keep it locked away to reduce the risk of theft then perhaps they were under instructions that it wasn't to come out unless they had a serious customer and not someone who wanted to oooh, aaah, pose with it for ten minutes and then hand it back with a wry smile while saying "Oh I can't... My hubby would simply kill me!". That's a hell of an expensive bag to be repeatedly mauled by handbag whores with a "maybe one day" wistful look in their eyes.

    That's exactly how I took the situation. Not to mention that its a bag for sale, not a "show model" for everyone to paw over.

    Meanwhile Oprah is backing down. Go sales girl.

    Oprah Winfrey says she regrets mentioning handbag racism incident in Zurich | Mail Online

  13. #88
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    34,689

    Default

    There are no people in Zurich who wouldn't take money from another, regardless of race, nation, or crime



    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  14. #89
    Elite Member sluce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Top Secret Spy for Leann Rimes
    Posts
    37,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ribbit View Post
    That's exactly how I took the situation. Not to mention that its a bag for sale, not a "show model" for everyone to paw over.

    Meanwhile Oprah is backing down. Go sales girl.

    Oprah Winfrey says she regrets mentioning handbag racism incident in Zurich | Mail Online
    Oprah is not backing down at all and is standing firm that the sales girl judge her as if she did not have money and did not show her the product. She has simply said there was no reason for the country to apologize.

    omg! Celebrity gossip, news photos, babies, couples, hotties, and more - omg! from Yahoo!
    By NICOLE EVATT | Associated Press – 2 hours 29 minutes
    LOS ANGELES (AP) — Oprah Winfrey says she's "sorry" that a media frenzy emerged after saying she experienced racism during a trip to Switzerland.

    "I think that incident in Switzerland was just an incident in Switzerland. I'm really sorry that it got blown up. I purposefully did not mention the name of the store. I'm sorry that I said it was Switzerland," Winfrey said Monday night at the Los Angeles premiere of "Lee Daniels: The Butler."

    "I was just referencing it as an example of being in a place where people don't expect that you would be able to be there," she continued.

    In recent interview with "Entertainment Tonight," Winfrey recalled a clerk at an upscale Zurich boutique refusing to show her a handbag. Winfrey said she was told she could not afford the $38,000 purse.

    "I'm in a store and the person doesn't obviously know that I carry the black card and so they make an assessment based upon the way I look and who I am," said Winfrey, who earned $77 million in the year ending in June, according to Forbes magazine.

    "I didn't have anything that said 'I have money.' I wasn't wearing a diamond stud. I didn't have a pocketbook. I didn't wear Louboutin shoes. I didn't have anything," said Winfrey on the red carpet. "You should be able to go in a store looking like whatever you look like and say, 'I'd like to see this.' That didn't happen."

    Swiss tourism officials and the boutique owner apologized for the incident last week, but Winfrey insists there's no need.

    "It's not an indictment against the country or even that store," she continued. "It was just one person who didn't want to offer me the opportunity to see the bag. So no apologies necessary from the country of Switzerland. If somebody makes a mistake in the United States do we apologize in front of the whole country? No!"

    "The Butler," which opens Friday, documents the civil rights movement through the story of a butler who served in the White House for seven presidents.
    greysfang likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

  15. #90
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    339

    Default

    Notice how she's shifted it from being about race to being about "how she looked" and "status."

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Oprah Winfrey O, The Oprah Magazine September 2013
    By Honey in forum Magazines and Photoshoots
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: August 10th, 2013, 04:20 PM
  2. Oprah Winfrey
    By DAP in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: April 3rd, 2012, 11:30 AM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: December 13th, 2011, 12:31 PM
  4. Oprah Winfrey looking just... just.... uhm
    By HWBL in forum Just Plain Scary
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: October 15th, 2009, 11:16 PM
  5. Oprah Winfrey
    By olivia720 in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 3rd, 2008, 02:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •