Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree207Likes

Thread: Oprah Winfrey Accuses Trois Pommes Clerk of Discrimination, Brand Rep Denies It

And rightly so if she's discriminating against customers. I've been mulling this over, it's annoyed me quite a bit. I know a few very wealthy (white) people and because they're country folk they dress like bloody hobos. They've always got doggie poo bags hanging out of their (holey) gilet pockets and muddy wellies and those insane fleeces with farmyard animals on them. I wonder what the clerk's reaction would be to them if they were to walk into her shop?
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

So I know Americans can sometimes be racist too but it seems that racism is a bit more rampant in Europe? Or just more socially acceptable? When I go to the big cities even, a la London/Paris, I can feel the difference in the way people look and talk to me. And since I'm a minority, they speak very slowly to me, as if I can't understand English if spoken at a normal rate...Certainly does not happen to me here in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by karat View Post
    So I know Americans can sometimes be racist too but it seems that racism is a bit more rampant in Europe? Or just more socially acceptable? When I go to the big cities even, a la London/Paris, I can feel the difference in the way people look and talk to me. And since I'm a minority, they speak very slowly to me, as if I can't understand English if spoken at a normal rate...Certainly does not happen to me here in the US.
    My friend, who is African-American, told me the worst racism she has ever experienced was in Spain. And she grew up in Alabama. My guess is that racism is alive and well all over the world.

I'm with Twitchy. I would have thrown a fit, talked to the manager, and made sure a different person got the commission .
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    (Ironically, both Winfrey and Goetz were guests at Tina Turner's wedding celebration that same weekend.)

Read more: Oprah Winfrey Accuses Store of Racism, Trois Pommes Rep Denies It - UsMagazine.com

Fucking illiterate writers... And fucking Alanis for good measure.
    What do we want?
    EVIDENCE BASED SCIENCE
    When do we want it?
    AFTER PEER REVIEW

Hit By Ban Bus!

It's kind of hard to ever take her seriously when she's whining about not being able to see a $35,000.00 bag. She was in a Donna Karan skirt, not Givenchy or Yves St. Laurent. It could have been a total misunderstanding. But I'm loving that Oprah keeps getting constant reminders in Europe that she is not the be all end all that she seems to think she is.
    HWBL and Lily Bleu like this.

I haven't read the thread all the way through yet, but another instance of this is mentioned in Kitty Kelly's book on Oprah. A Hermes store in I think German supposedly did the same thing many years ago. Reading this, I wonder if she doesn't think errybody's out to get her or possibly she was being rude (as she was at Hermes, showing up at closing time, demanding to be let in and browse) and they just weren't kissing her ass like she thought they should.

Gonna go read the thread now.
    ribbit and HWBL like this.

A*O

Switzerland. Nuff said.

If this has happened before Im willing to bet she was being a rude, entitled diva on both occasions.
    Sylkyn likes this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Nope. Speaking from experience: in some places in the US it's about as bad as in some places elsewhere in the world. There are assholes all over the place.
    Lily Bleu likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Hit By Ban Bus!

Ridiculous! This clerk should be let go immediately!

Clichés didn't come about to be simply to annoy us; most of them are true. "Don't judge a book by its cover." "Give the customer what s/he wants."

ikmccall likes this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    And rightly so if she's discriminating against customers. I've been mulling this over, it's annoyed me quite a bit. I know a few very wealthy (white) people and because they're country folk they dress like bloody hobos. They've always got doggie poo bags hanging out of their (holey) gilet pockets and muddy wellies and those insane fleeces with farmyard animals on them. I wonder what the clerk's reaction would be to them if they were to walk into her shop?
    My stepdad's brother was verrry wealthy (sold a chain of electrical shops, went to live in Andorra) but you wouldn't have known it to look at him.

Also when I did the big food shop today I was dogged all around Tesco by a security guy, most likely because of the way I was dressed (battered DM's, ankle length black skirt, black t-shirt) and because I was hanging about the male toiletries section for ages (I was trying to find the shaving gel). I just got on with what I was doing and even threw him the occasional smile and wave as he kept furtively appearing at the end of the aisles. I'm used to it and try not to let it fuss me any more. In fact, the one time I was stopped and had to empty my bags was at a different supermarket. The alarms went off as I left the shop and security jumped on me and went through my stuff, all while I tried to tell them (and was ignored) about the guy in the nice suit who'd left at the same time as me and who was hotfooting it across the carpark with a load of security tagged clothes over his arm.
    olivia likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Ugh, Oprah is so fucking annoying. The store clerk was obviously in the wrong no matter how they try to spin it, but the way Oprah describes her experience is eye-roll inducing and makes me despise her even more.
    ^This. If it went down the way Oprah says, then the clerk was clearly wrong. But why does Oprah have to be so fucking precious and entitled when recounting it?

Also, I'm not particularly convinced it happened like Oprah's version states. She doesn't perceive reality like you and me, and I would imagine that any of us little people that don't thoroughly kowtow and suck her diva ass are seen as rude and uppity and vulgar by her Majesty. She is absolutely by-God convinced that she is the cat's ass and deserves nothing but the most obsequious, servile treatment imaginable.
    Brookie, coolade and sparkles like this.
    We all like to think we're so special. But in the end, we all do the same stupid shit. - Dennis Miller

Elite Member

My sister worked on Rodeo Drive in retail and she said that everyone who works in high-end retail knows that you can't tell from the outside who has the big bucks. So anyone who is looking to make their living on commission needs to put that shit aside. One of the joys of being rich is that you get to do what you want, including dressing however you want. I guess it's still not OK in some places to be black, though.
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

A*O

A famously scruffy Melbourne trucking magnate went into a Mercedes dealer to buy lots of sparkly new trucks/vans for his large fleet. The snotty young sales rep took one look at the oily boots, saggy jeans and tatty teeshirt and ignored him. After a few minutes the trucker walked over the road to the Isuzu dealership and was greeted with a smile so he placed his $1+ million order there instead. He then went back to Mercedes and waved the order under the nose of the manager. I don't know what happened to the sales rep.
    Brookie, Serendipity and Kittylady like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    If I'm on commission, I'm going to attempt to sell you the MOST expensive crap in the store, not discourage you from whipping out your Black Card.
    Totally. In all my years in retail hell, I NEVER tried to discourage any fool from buying the most expensive crap in the store. And I didn't even get a commission.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

just stop it right there. you were not wearing a 'little' donna karan skirt.
    Drunken White Oprah begs to differ!

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    "I could have had the big blowup thing and thrown down the black card and all that stuff," Winfrey said, "but why do that?"

Why not do that? Why wait and then whine in interviews? Be direct and deal with it right then and there or shut the hell up.
    Start making calls. Get the owner of the company. Watch him/her phone the clerk in a panic. Enjoy.

Ooooh, I hate Oprah but I wish I'd been there. Tearing that clerk twelve new assholes would be a memory to enjoy for a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Cause she didn't want to give the clerk commission, but wanted to reserve the right to bitch. And I would have too.
    Hey, a fired clerk collects no commission.

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    Um, the store is called Dress Barn. WTF does the clerk even have to be snotty about?
    Right!!! I mean, Barn implies cows, implies plenty of plus sizes....another reason not to shop at the utterly insultingly named Dress Barn. What genius came up with that shit, anyway? And Greys' story sounds like condescension towards plus size women on top of racism....a killin' offense in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_On_TheWall View Post
    Way to inflate her ego even more. I'm sure the clerk will or has lost her job.
    Hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by Lalique View Post
    My friend, who is African-American, told me the worst racism she has ever experienced was in Spain. And she grew up in Alabama. My guess is that racism is alive and well all over the world.

I'm with Twitchy. I would have thrown a fit, talked to the manager, and made sure a different person got the commission .
    Refreshing to hear people discuss this. Where I live, the party line is that only white Americans are racist, and everyone else is perfect. JFC, Berkeley liberals are insane. In some ways. I support them on the tree-hugging issue.

I remain of the opinion that most (not all, but most) humans suck. And many-to-most are racist/culturist/xenophobic in some way or other. I know, that's a depressing viewpoint...sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by ribbit View Post
    It's kind of hard to ever take her seriously when she's whining about not being able to see a $35,000.00 bag. She was in a Donna Karan skirt, not Givenchy or Yves St. Laurent. It could have been a total misunderstanding. But I'm loving that Oprah keeps getting constant reminders in Europe that she is not the be all end all that she seems to think she is.
    Heh. True. Thing is, if she'd just been rejected for her PERSONALITY, not her skin color, this would have been magnificent. "Sorry, Big O, you're just too much of a passive-aggressive, egotistical twit to buy our purse. The entire world did not just fly out of your asshole. Bye."
    olivia and sparkles like this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    Haha! Damned right! I know a few incredibly wealth people (we're talking multi-millions) & they dress like shit. Its the upwardly mobile middle classes that wear the Boudin, the Joules, the DKNY etc.
    ........ you're American? Right???

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    My stepdad's brother was verrry wealthy (sold a chain of electrical shops, went to live in Andorra) but you wouldn't have known it to look at him.

Also when I did the big food shop today I was dogged all around Tesco by a security guy, most likely because of the way I was dressed (battered DM's, ankle length black skirt, black t-shirt) and because I was hanging about the male toiletries section for ages (I was trying to find the shaving gel). I just got on with what I was doing and even threw him the occasional smile and wave as he kept furtively appearing at the end of the aisles. I'm used to it and try not to let it fuss me any more. In fact, the one time I was stopped and had to empty my bags was at a different supermarket. The alarms went off as I left the shop and security jumped on me and went through my stuff, all while I tried to tell them (and was ignored) about the guy in the nice suit who'd left at the same time as me and who was hotfooting it across the carpark with a load of security tagged clothes over his arm.
    I have never been followed by as security guard.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    My sister worked on Rodeo Drive in retail and she said that everyone who works in high-end retail knows that you can't tell from the outside who has the big bucks. So anyone who is looking to make their living on commission needs to put that shit aside. One of the joys of being rich is that you get to do what you want, including dressing however you want. I guess it's still not OK in some places to be black, though.
    The best customer service I've rec'd was on Rodea drive, plus the worse, in Tiffany's.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information