Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Like Tree1273Likes

Thread: An Open Letter From Dylan Farrow

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    Mia didn't do anything until Woody went public with his relationship with Soon-Yi. Her friends told Vanity Fair that she was bindsided by Woody going public as she still thought she and Woody had a future and could patch things up (again, this was after Dylan made the allegations and Mia learned of his relationship to Soon-Yi privately, according to Mia).
    This! Mia had no interest in nailing Woody to the wall until AFTER the Soon-Yi revelation. Mia didn't press charges. Then when she knew Woody was canoodling with Soon-Yi, and there was no hope, only then did the shit hit the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    There's a new interview with Ronan Farrow in the Guardian today and I continue to be creeped out by the way both he and Mia treat the "Frank Sinatra might be my dad" thing as almost like a cool joke.
    Ronan is not Sinatra's kid. It's wishful thinking on their parts in hopes to erase Woody from their past. Ronan looks exactly like Mia when she was his age.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I believe she was abused and believe he groomed Soon-yi. But, I am no fan of Mia's and feel sad that these kids had not one parent who actually wanted to protect them and put them first.
    I don't even know if he "groomed" Soon-Yi. I think he took advantage of her because he could. Then, with the allegations of abuse, I think he knew the Mia relationship was coming to an end, and he no longer had access to Dylan, Soon-Yi was put in place. Do I think Woody and Soon-Yi have an intense chemistry that neither could deny themselves, and a true love that forced them to be together? Fuck no. Truthfully, I think it was a big "Fuck You" to Mia on both their parts.

Trust me, Mia is no saint, and I think she has just as much ownership in this debacle as Woody. Sad thing is, Dylan is the one who paid the price.

BTW, I don't go to Woody Allen movies. I can sleep at home for free.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

I don't know why Mia would come out with Frank Sinatra possibly being the father of Ronan. What purpose does it serve to start having people question it?

I don't really see the Sinatra resemblance, I can only see a male Mia Farrow.

Hell, in this picture, it seriously looks like a young Mia Farrow was photoshopped beside an older Mia Farrow...
    Bombshell, MsDark and kcoh like this.

In the immediate aftermath of the discovery of the shocking photographs, in January 1992, Mia did not bar Allen from her house. She allowed him to visit his adopted children, and she finished the film they were working on, Husbands and Wives. “The kids have a right to be somewhat angry—she didn’t protect them,” says a legal observer. “She let it go on; she didn’t want to rock the boat. He was in therapy for inappropriate behavior with Dylan when he adopted her! Tell me that makes sense.” Gilman explains, “Mia didn’t want the media to know. She didn’t want Woody’s name tarnished.”

Allen, in turn, according to Gilman and others, did everything he could to woo Mia back and to continue seeing Dylan. “I did witness him begging her to get back together—many times,” Gilman asserts, “saying Soon-Yi meant nothing to him, and it was a ‘cry for help,’ because it was hard after the baby [Ronan] was born. I remember him coming over with presents.”

The next shock came when Mia was told it was mandatory for Dylan’s pediatrician to report her allegations to the authorities. A week after the report was filed, Allen, under investigation by the Connecticut State Police, filed a pre-emptive lawsuit to win custody of Moses, Dylan, and Ronan. He called a press conference to declare his love for Soon-Yi and to claim that Mia was making up accusations of child-molestation because she was basically a scorned woman. He called her actions “an unconscionable and gruesomely damaging manipulation of innocent children for vindictive and self-serving motives.” In an interview in Time magazine, he baldly declared, “The heart wants what it wants.”
    To this day it’s hard for me to listen to jazz,” Dylan told me. “He [Allen] would take me with him [when he practiced the clarinet with his band]. I’d be in between his legs, facing out. I felt like a dog or something. I was just told to sit there. I did what I was told. He used to sing to me the famous song ‘Heaven’ [“Cheek to Cheek,” by Irving Berlin]. It really sends shivers up and down my spine and makes me want to throw up, because it’s a throwback.”

Dylan (who now has another name) has never before spoken publicly of what she remembers about Allen and how his behavior back then has tormented her. She refuses ever to say his name. “There’s a lot I don’t remember, but what happened in the attic I remember. I remember what I was wearing and what I wasn’t wearing.” I asked her if what she had said happened in the attic happened more than once. “That was isolated. The rest was just everyday weirdness—the weird routine I thought was normal.”

From the time she was able to register Allen’s obsessiveness toward her, Dylan said, she could never shake the feeling that she was disappointing one parent or the other. “After I told my mom what happened to me in the attic, I felt it was my fault,” she said. Individuals outside the family who were there at the time remarked to me how Dylan would shut down when Allen came around. She would complain of stomachaches and lock herself in the bathroom to avoid him. A babysitter testified that on the day of the alleged attic incident, while Mia was out shopping, she had come upon Allen in the TV room, kneeling, face forward, with his head in Dylan’s lap.

“I didn’t know anything formally wrong was going on,” Dylan said. “The things making me uncomfortable were making me think I was a bad kid, because I didn’t want to do what my elder told me to do.” The attic, she said, pushed her over the edge. “I was cracking. I had to say something. I was seven. I was doing it because I was scared. I wanted it to stop.” For all she knew, Dylan said, “this was how fathers treated their daughters. This was normal interaction, and I was not normal for feeling uncomfortable about it.” (Allen initially denied having gone into the attic. When hairs of his were found there, he said he might have popped his head in once or twice. Because of where the hair was found, his presence could not be proved conclusively.)

“Did he tell you it was a secret?,” I asked.

“Yes. He said, ‘You can’t tell anyone.’ I didn’t realize how careful he was—things that would happen when nobody was in the room. I was not feeling O.K. with him putting his thumb in my mouth, or how he hugged me.” When she was told that such behavior “wasn’t normal, I felt more guilty. There was no way not to make me feel guilty. There was no way someone was not hurt, whether me, my father, or my mother, and my brothers and sisters having to cope.” She thought she was to blame for all the tears and turmoil. “I felt I was damaging the family structure; that was crushing, damning.” Allen was already paying for a shrink for Dylan on the day she went missing with him. “I remember the doctor coming over once a week, and it was so annoying,” Dylan said. “I didn’t want to sit in a room and talk to grown-ups.”

The depression lasted all through college, exacerbated to high decibels twice when Allen succeeded in contacting her, Dylan said. The first time, she was bringing the mail in at Frog Hollow when she found a typewritten envelope addressed to her with a postmark from London. It was shortly before her 19th birthday, in 2004. Mia also saw the letter. According to Dylan, it said now that she was 18 he wanted to have a conversation. He was willing to meet anytime, anywhere, and would send a helicopter for her. He allegedly said he “wanted to set the record straight about what your mother has told you. Love, your father.”

Three years later, during her senior year of college, she said, a large stuffed manila envelope arrived at the school. “I should have recognized the handwriting—I didn’t. It had a fake return name: Lehman.” Inside she found “a four-inch-thick explosion of pictures of me and him—pictures, pictures, pictures everywhere. Some had tack holes in them. There was never anybody else in the pictures—there was definitely a theme going on.” None of them was inappropriate, but “it was scary.” According to her, the accompanying letter read, “I thought you’d want some pictures of us, and I want you to know that I still think of you as my daughter, and my daughters think of you as their sister. Soon-Yi misses you.” It was signed “Your father.”

“How do your daughters think of me as their sister?,” Dylan wondered. “How does that work?” She told me, “I held it together enough to get back to my room, and for three days I didn’t move. I wouldn’t answer my phone or answer my door.”
    Mia Farrow‚€™s Story: On Frank Sinatra, Battling Scandal, and Raising Her Family | Vanity Fair

I edited some for space reasons. The story's intact, I just didn't include some fluff in the middle.
    Last edited by louiswinthorpe111; February 2nd, 2014 at 05:14 PM.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

How old was Soon-yi in the naked photos Allen took of her?

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    he wont be punished because Mia cares more about Mia than any of her children,adopted or natural..
    Sad but true IMO.

What I find compelling about Dylan Farrow's statements is the fact that she vividly remembers the imagery of a toy train while she was being abused. I think that a lot of people who have been abused in a repeated fashion fixate on elements that were common to the place where they were abused, to the point that they have viscerally negative reactions to them.

Also, the fact that she says it was repeated over and over seems compelling, too. Not one trace event that might have been misinterpreted, but a repeated, consistent pattern.

Finally, she specifically states that Mia Farrow asked her if she were lying and told her that she would not be in trouble if she admitted she lied. That statement basically lets Mia Farrow off the hook for inducing the memories in her. It also puts doubters of Dylan more in a position of saying that Dylan is out-and-out lying.

In terms of which parent was more abusive, it looks like Dylan and Ronan made that decision long ago and as they have grown into adults, the position has hardened. I know that Ronan's Tweets have come across as ill advised, and almost out of the blue, but if he grew up with a sister who had confided in him about this abuse, and they have continually watch this guy lionized and lauded in public, furthering her feelings of hurt/anger, it is probably infuriating to them.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    How old was Soon-yi in the naked photos Allen took of her?
    21 or so.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Icepik View Post
    I don't know why Mia would come out with Frank Sinatra possibly being the father of Ronan. What purpose does it serve to start having people question it?

I don't really see the Sinatra resemblance, I can only see a male Mia Farrow.

Hell, in this picture, it seriously looks like a young Mia Farrow was photoshopped beside an older Mia Farrow...
    True dat. And although I despise Woody Allen, always have, Mia pretty much would not have had a career in her "middle years" without him. She played in his movies for decades, during the time they were together. Well, they each kept their own house, but they were a couple otherwise. I think they're both weirdos for different reasons and both are overrated as far as their talent goes.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

The only comment Barbara Sinatra has made is that the allegations were untrue. She was clearly bothered by it. The terrible thing is that Mia claimed she and Frank "never broke up" so basically was telling the world's press that she and Frank had a continuing relationship all while he was married to Barbara. Sorry but who care if it's true, why would you do that to the man's elderly widow who's struggling with health problems? Basically tell the world that her marriage was a sham and send the press after her?

This! Mia had no interest in nailing Woody to the wall until AFTER the Soon-Yi revelation. Mia didn't press charges. Then when she knew Woody was canoodling with Soon-Yi, and there was no hope, only then did the shit hit the fan.

What gets me is that Mia's family and employees were content to tell those things after the fact to a reporter but none of them, including Mia, ever went to the authorities. One of the nannies claimed that it was an unofficial rule that Woody not be alone with Dylan, but it was hard to enforce because there were so many kids and so much to do. This was I think the same nanny who claimed to have walked in on Woody being inappropriate with Dylan. Having been a nanny, I can just say, WTF! You know when I would be on the phone to both police and social services? The first time my employer said, "oh, I think the kid's dad might be molesting her so whenever he comes over, make sure they're not alone." It would never get to the point that I would let the kid go off alone with the suspicious dad, but if it did and I walked in on them not only would I be on the phone to 911 right that second, but I would probably be tortured for the rest of my life and never forgive myself.

I didn't get one sense from Mia or any one involved at any regret that they failed to do anything. Anger at Woody? Absolutely. But usually that anger is also mixed in with sadness and regret, even from parents or loved ones who absolutely couldn't do anything about their child's victimization. And this was a situation where Mia could've done something! She should've immediately contacted the authorities. Then she should have halted her private financial and custody negotiations with Woody. Then she should've insisted on, at best, formally supervised visitation for Woody with the kids until the investigation was complete. Mia and Woody were not married. They didn't live together. Mia had her own money and the employees were all her employees. To continue to not only date Woody but work with him on a film, allow him unsupervised access to the kids and continue to negotiate a regular custody agreement with him just boggles my mind. Either Dylan was molested and no one, including her mother, cared, or she wasn't and just a pawn in her crazy parents' game. Either way it sucks for her.

I know that Ronan's Tweets have come across as ill advised, and almost out of the blue, but if he grew up with a sister who had confided in him about this abuse, and they have continually watch this guy lionized and lauded in public, furthering her feelings of hurt/anger, it is probably infuriating to them.

IMO it's a weird relationship Mia has fostered with her kids and the press. On the one hand, the story was how Soon-Yi was always a problem child and never connected with her adoptive family. At other times, the kids were devastated at losing their sister who they were so close to. On the one hand, Soon-Yi couldn't possibly know what was going on and was just manipulated by Woody and a poor victim. On the other hand, Soon-Yi was adult enough that Mia's reaction when she discovered the relationship was to physically attack Soon-Yi for sleeping with her boyfriend and for Andre Previn to say that Soon-Yi was dead to him. On the one hand, Ronan has said how devastating it was to lose Soon-Yi and how sick he finds the relationship - OTOH he makes jokes about it on his Twitter. How can you be infuriated at the situation sometimes and yet make pithy jokes at other times? Do you care enough about being Frank Sinatra's son to use it for press but not to get a very simple DNA test? Or with Mia, how can you be angry that the Golden Globes is honoring Woody yet sign off and allow your own face and name to be used in the tribute? It just seems to be a pattern of selective outrage with Mia.
    HWBL, effie2 and Marmar2 like this.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Woody Allen denies Dylan Farrow's sexual assault allegation

(CNN) -- Film director Woody Allen released a statement Sunday denying adopted daughter Dylan Farrow's allegation that he sexually assaulted her when she was 7 years old.

In an open letter posted online Saturday by The New York Times, Farrow recounted her allegation that Allen sexually assaulted her in the attic of her adopted mother Mia Farrow's house in 1992.

The statement released by Allen representative Leslee Dart said: "Mr. Allen has read the article and found it untrue and disgraceful. He will be responding very soon. In the meantime, it is essential that your coverage make the following facts clear:

"At the time, a thorough investigation was conducted by court appointed independent experts. The experts concluded there was no credible evidence of molestation; that Dylan Farrow had an inability to distinguish between fantasy and reality; and that Dylan Farrow had likely been coached by her mother Mia Farrow. No charges were ever filed."

Dylan Farrow's open letter appeared on Times columnist Nicholas Kristof's blog. It was billed as the first time she's publicly written about the accusation.

"What's your favorite Woody Allen movie? Before you answer, you should know: when I was seven years old, Woody Allen took me by the hand and led me into a dim, closet-like attic on the second floor of our house.

"He told me to lay on my stomach and play with my brother's electric train set. Then he sexually assaulted me."

The letter was released the same day as the Writers Guild Awards, for which Allen had been nominated for best screenplay for "Blue Jasmine" but did not win. The movie also garnered three Academy Award nominations.

Woody Allen denies Dylan Farrow's sexual assault allegation - CNN.com

more at link

Dylan Farrow 'Heartened' by Response After Woody Allen Allegations

Dylan Farrow stepped out of the shadows Saturday to detail the sexual abuse she allegedly suffered at the hands of adopted father Woody Allen two decades earlier.

A day later, the New York Times columnist who broke the story tells PEOPLE the young woman is now feeling encouraged by the supportive feedback that has been pouring in.

"She's really heartened by the response and support she's getting," Nicholas Kristof tells PEOPLE. (Kristof, a friend of Dylan's mother, Mia Farrow, and her brother, Ronan Farrow, first published excerpts of her open letter to Allen on Saturday.) "She sends a big thank you to all those speaking up about sexual abuse and trying to break the silence."

Now 28, married and living in Florida under a different name, Dylan took a huge step coming forward, says Kristof. "She was nervous about what the reaction would be to an essay so personal, but she put herself out there."

Dylan told Kristof she "has been traumatized for more than two decades by what took place" and was belatedly diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder just last year. Then, when she heard of the Golden Globe award being given to Allen, he writes: "She curled up in a ball on her bed, crying hysterically."

She first spoke in October about the abuse, but this new letter (published in full on Kristof's blog) provides harrowing details about what she claims secretly took place in the family's attic.

"[The assault was] far worse than people know," she wrote. "That he got away with what he did to me haunted me as I grew up. I was terrified of being touched by men. I developed an eating disorder. I began cutting myself."

Connecticut state's attorney Frank S. Maco announced in 1993 that while he found "probable cause" to prosecute Allen, he was dropping the case because Dylan was too "fragile" to deal with a trial.

Maco recently told PEOPLE that despite Dylan's recent openness, he stands by that decision. "I had to first and foremost consider the child."

P.S.

mia farrow ✔ @MiaFarrow
    Follow
    @swin24 @moletressj I'm not
    1:01 PM - 2 Feb 2014

Ronan Farrow ✔ @RonanFarrow
    Follow
    I love and support my sister and I think her words speak for themselves.
    4:54 PM - 2 Feb 2014

Source

Read more at ONTD: http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com...#ixzz2sD4X4nWA
    Last edited by mjw; February 2nd, 2014 at 06:21 PM.

My favourite Woody Allen movie is Crimes and Misdemeanors.

^That one, as well as Annie Hall, Hannah and her Sisters, Interiors, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Bullets over Broadway and ​Bananas.
    ex-LaFolie
    "I hear Chris Hemsworth's Oscar nominee announcements were dubbed by Marni Nixon" - Witchcurlgirl

I hope Dylan doesn't receive a backlash from this. It looks as if Woody is gearing up for a strong rebuttal. He should remember she is still his child.
    Kittylady likes this.

I wonder if the reason Dylan and Ronan "wished" Frank Sinatra was their father is because then their upbringing would be very different. Abuse-free perhaps?

If Woody was truly innocent, he (or his reps) wouldn't need to rely on the fact that he was found innocent via an investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    (CNN) -- Film director Woody Allen released a statement Sunday denying adopted daughter Dylan Farrow's allegation that he sexually assaulted her when she was 7 years old.

In an open letter posted online Saturday by The New York Times, Farrow recounted her allegation that Allen sexually assaulted her in the attic of her adopted mother Mia FarroI's house in 1992.

The statement released by Allen representative Leslee Dart said: "Mr. Allen has read the article and found it untrue and disgraceful. He will be responding very soon. In the meantime, it is essential that your coverage make the following facts clear:

"At the time, a thorough investigation was conducted by court appointed independent experts. The experts concluded there was no credible evidence of molestation; that Dylan Farrow had an inability to distinguish between fantasy and reality; and that Dylan Farrow had likely been coached by her mother Mia Farrow. No charges were ever filed."

Dylan Farrow's open letter appeared on Times columnist Nicholas Kristof's blog. It was billed as the first time she's publicly written about the accusation.

"What's your favorite Woody Allen movie? Before you answer, you should know: when I was seven years old, Woody Allen took me by the hand and led me into a dim, closet-like attic on the second floor of our house.

"He told me to lay on my stomach and play with my brother's electric train set. Then he sexually assaulted me."

The letter was released the same day as the Writers Guild Awards, for which Allen had been nominated for best screenplay for "Blue Jasmine" but did not win. The movie also garnered three Academy Award nominations.

Woody Allen denies Dylan Farrow's sexual assault allegation - CNN.com

more at link

Dylan Farrow 'Heartened' by Response After Woody Allen Allegations

Dylan Farrow stepped out of the shadows Saturday to detail the sexual abuse she allegedly suffered at the hands of adopted father Woody Allen two decades earlier.

A day later, the New York Times columnist who broke the story tells PEOPLE the young woman is now feeling encouraged by the supportive feedback that has been pouring in.

"She's really heartened by the response and support she's getting," Nicholas Kristof tells PEOPLE. (Kristof, a friend of Dylan's mother, Mia Farrow, and her brother, Ronan Farrow, first published excerpts of her open letter to Allen on Saturday.) "She sends a big thank you to all those speaking up about sexual abuse and trying to break the silence."

Now 28, married and living in Florida under a different name, Dylan took a huge step coming forward, says Kristof. "She was nervous about what the reaction would be to an essay so personal, but she put herself out there."

Dylan told Kristof she "has been traumatized for more than two decades by what took place" and was belatedly diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder just last year. Then, when she heard of the Golden Globe award being given to Allen, he writes: "She curled up in a ball on her bed, crying hysterically."

She first spoke in October about the abuse, but this new letter (published in full on Kristof's blog) provides harrowing details about what she claims secretly took place in the family's attic.

"[The assault was] far worse than people know," she wrote. "That he got away with what he did to me haunted me as I grew up. I was terrified of being touched by men. I developed an eating disorder. I began cutting myself."

Connecticut state's attorney Frank S. Maco announced in 1993 that while he found "probable cause" to prosecute Allen, he was dropping the case because Dylan was too "fragile" to deal with a trial.

Maco recently told PEOPLE that despite Dylan's recent openness, he stands by that decision. "I had to first and foremost consider the child."

P.S.

mia farrow ✔ @MiaFarrow
    Follow
    @swin24 @moletressj I'm not
    1:01 PM - 2 Feb 2014

Ronan Farrow ✔ @RonanFarrow
    Follow
    I love and support my sister and I think her words speak for themselves.
    4:54 PM - 2 Feb 2014

Source

Read more at ONTD: Oh No They Didn't! - Dylan Farrow 'Heartened' by Response After Woody Allen Allegations[/B]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    I feel bad for putting this in 'Latest Gossip' Somehow it seems obscene to put it here. If any of the mods would like to move it to a more appropriate sub-forum that would be great. In any case, what follows is disturbing and triggering.:

An Open Letter From Dylan Farrow

By DYLAN FARROW Frances SilverDylan Farrow
    (A note from Nicholas Kristof: In 1993, accusations that Woody Allen had abused his adoptive daughter, Dylan Farrow, filled the headlines, part of a sensational story about the celebrity split between Allen and his girlfriend, Mia Farrow. This is a case that has been written about endlessly, but this is the first time that Dylan Farrow herself has written about it in public. Itís important to note that Woody Allen was never prosecuted in this case and has consistently denied wrongdoing; he deserves the presumption of innocence. So why publish an account of an old case on my blog? Partly because the Golden Globe lifetime achievement award to Allen ignited a debate about the propriety of the award. Partly because the root issue here isnít celebrity but sex abuse. And partly because countless people on all sides have written passionately about these events, but we havenít fully heard from the young woman who was at the heart of them. Iíve written a column about this, but itís time for the world to hear Dylanís story in her own words.)

Whatís your favorite Woody Allen movie? Before you answer, you should know: when I was seven years old, Woody Allen took me by the hand and led me into a dim, closet-like attic on the second floor of our house. He told me to lay on my stomach and play with my brotherís electric train set. Then he sexually assaulted me. He talked to me while he did it, whispering that I was a good girl, that this was our secret, promising that weíd go to Paris and Iíd be a star in his movies. I remember staring at that toy train, focusing on it as it traveled in its circle around the attic. To this day, I find it difficult to look at toy trains.
    For as long as I could remember, my father had been doing things to me that I didnít like. I didnít like how often he would take me away from my mom, siblings and friends to be alone with him. I didnít like it when he would stick his thumb in my mouth. I didnít like it when I had to get in bed with him under the sheets when he was in his underwear. I didnít like it when he would place his head in my naked lap and breathe in and breathe out. I would hide under beds or lock myself in the bathroom to avoid these encounters, but he always found me. These things happened so often, so routinely, so skillfully hidden from a mother that would have protected me had she known, that I thought it was normal. I thought this was how fathers doted on their daughters. But what he did to me in the attic felt different. I couldnít keep the secret anymore.

When I asked my mother if her dad did to her what Woody Allen did to me, I honestly did not know the answer. I also didnít know the firestorm it would trigger. I didnít know that my father would use his sexual relationship with my sister to cover up the abuse he inflicted on me. I didnít know that he would accuse my mother of planting the abuse in my head and call her a liar for defending me. I didnít know that I would be made to recount my story over and over again, to doctor after doctor, pushed to see if Iíd admit I was lying as part of a legal battle I couldnít possibly understand. At one point, my mother sat me down and told me that I wouldnít be in trouble if I was lying Ė that I could take it all back. I couldnít. It was all true. But sexual abuse claims against the powerful stall more easily. There were experts willing attack my credibility. There were doctors willing to gaslight an abused child.
    After a custody hearing denied my father visitation rights, my mother declined to pursue criminal charges, despite findings of probable cause by the State of Connecticut Ė due to, in the words of the prosecutor, the fragility of the ďchild victim.Ē Woody Allen was never convicted of any crime. That he got away with what he did to me haunted me as I grew up. I was stricken with guilt that I had allowed him to be near other little girls. I was terrified of being touched by men. I developed an eating disorder. I began cutting myself. That torment was made worse by Hollywood. All but a precious few (my heroes) turned a blind eye. Most found it easier to accept the ambiguity, to say, ďwho can say what happened,Ē to pretend that nothing was wrong. Actors praised him at awards shows. Networks put him on TV. Critics put him in magazines. Each time I saw my abuserís face Ė on a poster, on a t-shirt, on television Ė I could only hide my panic until I found a place to be alone and fall apart.
    Last week, Woody Allen was nominated for his latest Oscar. But this time, I refuse to fall apart. For so long, Woody Allenís acceptance silenced me. It felt like a personal rebuke, like the awards and accolades were a way to tell me to shut up and go away. But the survivors of sexual abuse who have reached out to me Ė to support me and to share their fears of coming forward, of being called a liar, of being told their memories arenít their memories Ė have given me a reason to not be silent, if only so others know that they donít have to be silent either.
    Today, I consider myself lucky. I am happily married. I have the support of my amazing brothers and sisters. I have a mother who found within herself a well of fortitude that saved us from the chaos a predator brought into our home.
    But others are still scared, vulnerable, and struggling for the courage to tell the truth. The message that Hollywood sends matters for them.
    What if it had been your child, Cate Blanchett? Louis CK? Alec Baldwin? What if it had been you, Emma Stone? Or you, Scarlett Johansson? You knew me when I was a little girl, Diane Keaton. Have you forgotten me?
    Woody Allen is a living testament to the way our society fails the survivors of sexual assault and abuse.
    So imagine your seven-year-old daughter being led into an attic by Woody Allen. Imagine she spends a lifetime stricken with nausea at the mention of his name. Imagine a world that celebrates her tormenter.
    Are you imagining that? Now, whatís your favorite Woody Allen movie?

http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/201...ype=blogs&_r=0

First, I'm sorry I needed to quote entire posts. My phone's browser fucked up both times I attempted to edit in the specific text I needed. So, bolded for emphasis instead.

I feel like I need to defend myself against suggestion that I implied defendants in molestation cases can hire the investigators involved in the criminal case. Because I bloody well didn't. Dylan spoke of experts and doctors trying to "gaslight" her, so I suggested Levanthal was one of those so-called experts. Because to the best of my knowledge, in a custody battle, a parent can hire "experts" to tell family courts that "the other parent" either abused - or brainwashed - the kid. Maybe I'm very wrong about the legalities of custody fights, but I certainly knew that in a criminal case, the defendant can't hire the state investigators, and I did not suggest otherwise.

Regarding Woody Allen's representative (Leslie Dart) response, I reiterate that Dylan spoke of doctors and experts trying to gaslight her. Dylan makes clear Mia gave her an "out"; based on other posts Mia comes off as willing to suppress the story, not as coaching Dylan... yet Leslie Dart insists "experts" decided Mia was was behind Dylan's voice. So I assume these are the same experts Dylan referred to as attacking her "credibility" and trying to gaslight her.
    Last edited by Kat Scorp; February 2nd, 2014 at 07:46 PM. Reason: my phone...

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread Information