Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree1273Likes

Thread: An Open Letter From Dylan Farrow

mjw
    Elite Member

Cate Blanchett and Alec Baldwin React to Dylan Farrow's Letter

Dylan Farrow ends her
    open letter detailing her sexual abuse claims against her adoptive father, Woody Allen, by singling out several actors who have starred in the director's films, asking pointedly, "What if it had been your daughter?"

First on her list was Cate Blanchett, a frontrunner for the Best Actress Oscar for her performance in last year's Blue Jasmine, directed by Allen. At the Santa Barbara International Film Festival on Saturday night, journalist Jeffrey Wells asked Blanchett for her response.

"It's obviously been a long and painful situation for the family and I hope they find some sort of resolution and peace," Blanchett said, according to Wells.

Blanchett's costar Alec Baldwin, who also was singled out by Farrrow, took to Twitter in a typically blunt way. "What the f&@% is wrong w u that u think we all need to b commenting on this family's personal struggle?" he responded to someone asking whether Baldwin owes Dylan an apology.

Keep up with Cate Blanchett in the pages of PEOPLE Magazine by subscribing now.

To another, he wrote: "So you know who's guilty? Who's lying? You, personally, know that?" He also Tweeted: "You are mistaken if you think there is a place for me, or any outsider, in this family's issue."

Other stars of Allen movies whose representatives PEOPLE has contacted have had no comment. Among celebrities offering support for Farrow was Lena Dunham, who Tweeted: "To share in this way is courageous, powerful and generous." She adds: "Grateful my timeline is full of so much love and respect for Dylan."
    http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20782517,00.html

From a poster on ONTD-

alec baldwin proving once again how much an asshole he is by retweeting this

CoPi @coreypierceart
    Follow

@Bristy @ABFAlecBaldwin Captain Hindsight to the rescue to force 21 years of Woody casts to apologize for something they know nothing about.
    9:29 AM - 2 Feb 2014

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    One need not be 'accusing Dylan of lying' by pointing out the simple fact that Leventhal was not on Allen's defense team. Dial down the drama.
    It's not drama to point out that the conclusion of the investigation was rather spectacularly wrong, and rather nastily worded. How could they be so wrong? As I stated, I'd like to ask them, but the mind boggles over the number of other cases similar investigators have botched.

~~~

Wait! wait... is Lily Allen saying Meryl Streep is conspiring with Mia and Dylan to knock Cate out of the running? LOLL. OMG. Ya'll know I love a conspiracy but this one is bug eyed. Right, sure, Dylan wrote a searingly personal letter and made it public just to win Meryl Streep an Oscar? Or am I misreading Lily Allen's insinuation? [Meryl's speech about Walt Disney was claimed to have had an impact on Thompson's chances at a GG, iirc.]

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    It's not drama to point out that the conclusion of the investigation was rather spectacularly wrong, and rather nastily worded. How could they be so wrong? As I stated, I'd like to ask them, but the mind boggles over the number of other cases similar investigators have botched.
    I do not doubt that Dylan believes what she is saying, but as for the rest - I simply do not know. I did not see what the investigators saw, only read their conclusions.

I'm listening to what Dylan says. Her accusations are horrific, but they are still only accusations. I don't dismiss them, and would never dismiss anyone making abuse allegations out of hand, but I don't profess to know for certain that which i do not.
    sputnik, *DIVA!, Trixie and 3 others like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I do not doubt that Dylan believes what she is saying, but as for the rest - I simply do not know. I did not see what the investigators saw, only read their conclusions.

I'm listening to what Dylan says. Her accusations are horrific, but they are still only accusations. I don't dismiss them, and would never dismiss anyone making abuse allegations out of hand, but I don't profess to know for certain that which i do not.

Well perhaps, but I can't think of any other credible motivation for laying herself bare like this except that she was telling the truth then, and now feels the need to air that fact in the wake of the hit pieces that appeared in response to Ronan's tweet. I mean, she might be bug eyed crazy or merely disturbed--why else write the letter if it's all lies?--- but her letter sounds measured and genuine. To me at least.
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post

In her first public comment since Dylan Farrow launched a fresh accusation of the molestation she says she suffered at the hands of Woody Allen when she was seven, Cate Blanchett, who stars in Allen’s Blue Jasmine, said, “It’s obviously been a long and painful situation for the family and I hope they find some resolution and piece.”
    Piece of what Harpers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Just wanted to throw out that I found this interesting and would like to hear what else he has to say:
    I'm not saying anything either way however I would like to share with you that an ex of mine was (serially) abused by his dad. His twin sister was and after the father impregnated her + the child was born and died from birth defects, she killed herself. Of his two elder brothers one eventually admitted to the abuse and the other denied it had ever happened. When my ex tried to talk about it, tried to say "this happened to me" and tried to bring some healing to the family, that brother completely cut him out if his life. There was also another sister who had moved away + finally came out (I think while we were dating or shortly before), he told me about that sister too and I talked to him about how she was still the same person etc etc etc. I may have played the "you've already lost one sister..." card.
    But my point is that of the 5 siblings they all reacted differently.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Piece of what Harpers?

I'm not saying anything either way however I would like to share with you that an ex of mine was (serially) abused by his dad. His twin sister was and after the father impregnated her + the child was born and died from birth defects, she killed herself. Of his two elder brothers one eventually admitted to the abuse and the other denied it had ever happened. When my ex tried to talk about it, tried to say "this happened to me" and tried to bring some healing to the family, that brother completely cut him out if his life. There was also another sister who had moved away + finally came out (I think while we were dating or shortly before), he told me about that sister too and I talked to him about how she was still the same person etc etc etc. I may have played the "you've already lost one sister..." card.
    But my point is that of the 5 siblings they all reacted differently.
    Years ago in my hometown a whole family of children and grandchildren finally found the courage to take the horrifically abusive grandfather to court. He was convicted but there were two hold outs who still insist to this day that none of it ever happened. Maybe it never happened to them but the abuse was so blatant and so pervasive in the family that the allegation is they could not possibly have been blind to it. Yet still they insist...who knows why. Maybe it's psychological self-preservation.
    sparkles likes this.

I feel for Dylan. This poor woman. I think I would harbor a lot of ill will towards my mother, especially if I thought my mother knew what was going on. As a mother, I would live on the streets in a cardboard box with my kid before I would let her spend one more day with someone I thought was abusing her. I wouldn't be worried about protecting anyone other than her. I certainly wouldn't be worried about protecting someone's reputation.

I do believe, 100%, that Dylan believes this is what happened to her. I'm sure her memories are very real to her. I wasn't there and have no idea what happened to her. WA is a creepy motherfucker, that's for sure. I guess it's easy to believe that he would do something like this. But, I just don't know.
    Serendipity and Marmar2 like this.

I personally know (very well, in fact) several families where one or several siblings were routinely abused, and vividly remember it, yet have siblings who deny that it ever happened. There are plenty of logical explanations for this, and it certainly doesn't mean the person who claims to have been abused is lying. The other siblings may be unaware and unable to believe it because they were not victimized, they never personally witnessed the abuse, and their own relationship with the abuser was a good one. The age differences in the siblings may also account for it; the denier may be too much older than the victim to have been aware of what was going on in a much younger sibling's life, or too young to remember it. It could also be a situation where the sibling did in fact witness the abuse, or may have even experienced it himself, but was so traumatized that they have literally blocked it from their memory and have no recollection of it.

In this situation, I absolutely believe Dylan. I don't believe she would have changed her name, gone to such great lengths to block Woody from her life, or gone public with such a personal story if there was any doubt in her mind that it happened or if she were just making it up. And remember, she's not the only person who claims she was abused. Investigators found Woody's behavior with her to be "grossly inappropriate," and various other family members and friends have come forward with similar claims about how disturbing his relationship and interactions with her were. The only reason they did not proceed with a trial was to spare the already traumatized Dylan from the experience because they did not think she could handle it. I believe if they had gone through with it, Woody Allen would be behind bars.

Agreed WCG. Mia tried to cover it up too til Soon Yi. Then she acted like a woman with a vengeance, which didn't help the stance, and ratcheted the allegations.

Mia didn't do anything until Woody went public with his relationship with Soon-Yi. Her friends told Vanity Fair that she was bindsided by Woody going public as she still thought she and Woody had a future and could patch things up (again, this was after Dylan made the allegations and Mia learned of his relationship to Soon-Yi privately, according to Mia).

Another big thing that gave me hinky feelings about Mia's article in Vanity Fair is the way she and her other kids (presumably with feedback from Mia) talked about Soon-Yi. This was close in time to the scandal and anger would be understandable, but Mia's story was that Soon-Yi was brainwashed by Allen so I would expect for her to be angry but also very upset and sad for her daughter at being manipulated by this evil guy. Like you either think someone's a victim or they're not, but the vibe coming from the Farrows was very much, "Good riddance, Soon-Yi." Mia had Soon-Yi's tutor and other people (who should be confidential) talk to Maureen Orth to paint a picture of a girl who's basically developmentally disabled (contradicted by Soon-Yi's later interviews, though she did admit to learning disabilities). Contrary to what they say now about how close they were to Soon-Yi and considered her a sister, one of the other kids told Maureen Orth that Soon-Yi "had never fit in" with the family. If Soon-Yi was manipulated by Allen, if she read an article like that and saw her mother violating her privacy and her family bashing her, she must've felt like her entire family didn't care about her and she had no way to reach out to them or come back to them, even if she wanted to.

In Mia's autobiography, there was a very weird vibe about Soon-Yi, too, where Mia seemed totally focused on the girl's faults. There was no warmth and almost like Mia was arguing Soon-Yi was a dud from the moment she adopted her. I thought at the time that it was probably Mia's retroactive reaction against the scandal, and that she felt betrayed by Soon-Yi so she rewrote history to make it like they were never close as a way to cope (cause the book was written years later). But after reading the Orth article, which was so close in time to the scandal, I don't think that anymore.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

when Mia married Sinatra,she was 20 and him 50..

^^^
    19, actually. and he was married when she met him. hypocrite much?

i don't know if dylan was abused or not. i believe she thinks she was but i think that mia farrow is incredibly manipulating, a hypocrite and a piece of work and i wouldn't put it past her to have coached dylan and fabricated those memories for her. i think the older brother's comments about her 'brainwashing' are telling, as is the fact that he's chosen to renew his ties with soon-yi and woody now that he's older.

the daily beast article clears up a lot of things that people have gotten wrong over the years and keep spewing as 'facts' - like saying that WA and farrow adopted soon-yi together or that they ever lived together as a family. or that the WA and soon-yi relationship started when she was younger when she was an adult. or the misconceptions about soon-yi's level of intelligence.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I think he is a sick piece of work.

Αlso revelations perfectly timed to destroy any chances he might have on getting an oscar..I do not think he is an angel,but i also think she is far from an angel herself.I am only sorry for the kids,they have no chance between them..yet they were allowed to adopt again and again...nice.
    Bellatheball and Marmar2 like this.

I agree, sputnik, that whatever happened Dylan believes it happened and the whole split/custody battle was very damaging to her. I hope she can find peace.

There's a new interview with Ronan Farrow in the Guardian today and I continue to be creeped out by the way both he and Mia treat the "Frank Sinatra might be my dad" thing as almost like a cool joke. Neither of them seem to care that Barbara Sinatra is still alive and the press has been bothering her about it. Mia is basically bragging that this elderly woman's dead husband not only cheated on her with his ex-wife but also might have fathered a kid. It's not a mystery - Ronan could take a DNA test and learn the truth, then he can talk about publicly. But until then he and his mom should shut up about it. To continue to talk about it in the media to use it for attention while not bothering to actually confirm it is a famewhore move. All it's doing is bothering Sinatra's elderly widow and drumming up attention for Ronan's new talk show. It goes back to how Mia's behavior in the Vanity Fair article bothered me - the vibe that these serious things regarding her kids don't matter until it comes to the press/public attention. If Mia really believed Ronan was Sinatra's kid, then she could have discussed it at the time when Sinatra was alive and Ronan would've been totally protected during Mia and Woody's custody battle (not to mention he then would've had a chance to have a relationship with his true father).
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

I agree that if they legitimately believe Ronan is Frank Sinatra's biological son, they should get a DNA test before insinuating to everyone that it's true without bothering to confirm it.

I also think Mia is selfish and was careless with allowing Woody to have access to Ronan after molesting Dylan if she actually thought Ronan may not be his. But, I don't think that discredits Dylan's story. Mia is one of the few adults in that Hollywood circle who believed and stood by Dylan and didn't just turn a blind eye or try to discredit Dylan when all of this went public. So, it's understandable to me that Dylan clings to her despite her other failings as a mother. When the rest of Hollywood is celebrating Woody Allen, I can see why Dylan would want one person in that scene who vehemently stands up for her.
    Last edited by southernbelle; February 2nd, 2014 at 03:02 PM.

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information