Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Like Tree1273Likes

Thread: An Open Letter From Dylan Farrow

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Dylan Farrow Speaks Out About Her Woody Allen Allegations and the Backlash

It was a letter she wished she never had to write, about something she says she wished had never happened.

Dylan Farrow says it took all the courage she had to finally pen the emotional open letter she sent to the New York Times detailing her claim that her adoptive father, Woody Allen, had sexually molested her as a child, she exclusively tells PEOPLE.

"It took all of my strength and all of my emotional fortitude to do what I did this week in the hope that it would put the truth out there," says Dylan, 28, now a happily married writer. "That is my only ammunition. I don't have money or publicists or limos or fancy apartments in Manhattan. All I have is the truth and that is all I put out there."

When she spoke out for the first time about the allegations of abuse in Vanity Fair's October issue, her comments were overshadowed by the revelation that her brother Ronan, 26, might be the biological child of Frank Sinatra instead of Allen, which left her feeling "that no one cared," says a family friend.

Mia Farrow and Woody Allen with baby Satchel (now named Ronan) and adopted daughter Dylan.
    DAVID MCGOUGH / DMI / TIME LIFE PICTURES / GETTY

Dylan says she thought long and hard about coming forward with her story in her own words. In her Feb. 1 letter, she expounded on the allegations she made in Vanity Fair, saying, "For as long as I could remember, my father had been doing things to me that I didn't like."

Allen, 78, has vehemently denied any abuse, with his rep telling PEOPLE, "Mr. Allen has read the article and found it untrue and disgraceful."

Throughout a criminal investigation and bitter custody battle in 1992 and 1993, Allen maintained that he never molested Dylan and accused Dylan's mother, Mia Farrow, of coaching Dylan to repeat a false story. Farrow has always emphatically denied that.

In the end, Allen was never charged with molestation. In what was deemed a controversial move, then-Connecticut state's attorney Frank S. Maco announced in 1993 that while he found "probable cause" to prosecute Allen, he was dropping the case because Dylan was too "fragile" to deal with a trial that would further "traumatize" her. Mia, 68, agreed with the decision, he said. But a panel of investigators from Yale-New Haven Hospital consulted during the investigation concluded that Dylan confused fantasy with reality and had not been abused.

Answering Her Critics

Dylan says she knew she would be taking on one of the most powerful and esteemed forces in Hollywood. Indeed, some of Allen's defenders claim she wrote the letter during awards season, no less to sabotage her father, whose film Blue Jasmine is nominated for three Oscars. Others have said she wrote it to vindicate her mother. (Mia did not see the piece before it ran, a family friend says.)

"I've been hearing that a lot," says Dylan. "I'm happy to answer that. My intention in writing that piece was to put the truth on paper from a voice that was not able to speak before."

"People are saying that I am not actually remembering what I remember. People are saying that my 'evil mother' brainwashed me because they refuse to believe that my sick, evil father would ever molest me, because we live in this society where victim blaming and inexcusable behavior this taboo against shaming the famous at the expense of their victims is accepted and excused."

Her Turning Point

A turning point for her came on Jan. 12, the night of the Golden Globes, when Woody Allen received the Cecil B. DeMille Award for lifetime achievement, which his longtime friend, Diane Keaton, accepted on his behalf.

Dylan says that she had wanted to share her side of the story for a long time. But, she tells PEOPLE, "After the Golden Globes, my brother Ronan showed immense bravery for standing up for the family and I realized it was my turn to stand up and to tell the truth."

On Jan. 12, Ronan Tweeted, "Missed the Woody Allen tribute did they put the part where a woman publicly confirmed he molested her at age 7 before or after Annie Hall?"

Dylan says she knew the letter would draw "backlash."

"I knew there were people saying I was a liar and that this was part of some smear campaign some bitter vendetta of my mother's," she says. But, she adds, "I didn't realize that it was going to be a betrayal of this magnitude."'My Brother Has Broken My Heart'

That betrayal, she says, came when her brother Moses Farrow, 36, spoke out to PEOPLE this week. Moses, now a family therapist, says Allen never molested Dylan and that Mia poisoned the children against their father.

Dylan spoke to PEOPLE shortly after she learned what her brother had said. Clearly anguished, she sobbed as she said, "My brother has broken my heart. Moses divorced himself from the family a long time ago. I always missed him. I loved him and I kept him in my thoughts. These lies this betrayal is unfathomable to me coming from a brother I loved and cherished and grew up with," she said.

I'm sorry," she said, apologizing for crying. "I'm shaking right now." Moses Farrow

She paused, regained her composure and said, "He has betrayed me in the cruelest way imaginable, and betrayed my family and my mother who has loved him since day one. His betrayal is the lowest form of evil that I could ever imagine." Moses and Dylan, who were both adopted by Allen and Farrow, and their brother Ronan were at the center of a 1993 custody battle in which both sides testified about Allen's affair with Farrow's adopted daughter Soon-Yi Previn, whom Allen went on to marry in 1997. Farrow was awarded custody of Moses, Dylan and Ronan.

None of what Moses said is true, maintains Dylan. "It's lies. It's all lies." She stands by her letter, saying, "My memories are true. What happened to me as a little girl ... is my cross to bear. But I will not see my family dragged down like this. I can't stay silent when my family needs me."

She says there was a time when she adored her father. "Part of the reason why it was so hard for me to write the piece that I wrote was because once upon a time I loved my father so much."

Dylan says that when her mother heard the contents of Moses's letter, "She was stunned. She couldn't believe that he betrayed her and me and the family like this. Her reaction is on par with mine."

Farrow, who declined to respond to Moses's accusations, Tweeted, "I love my daughter. I will always protect her. A lot of ugliness is going to be aimed at me. But this is not about me, it's about her truth."A Greater Goal

Amid the sadness she feels over her shattered family and childhood memories that continue to haunt her are moments of happiness and normalcy. While she spoke to PEOPLE, her husband stood in the background, comforting her.

She says she and her husband met through an ad on The Onion. "And we have been in love ever since. Yesterday was the anniversary of our first date. It's been seven years."

"He is the most wonderful man in the world. When they say living well is the best revenge I have that. My conscience is clean. I have told the truth. I cannot say the same for Moses."

She also has her family, who she says has always been there for her. "I love my family so much. We are a strong family. We are a loving family. We are a brave family. We are fighters. I love my mother so much."

She hopes her open letter will help sexual abuse victims come forward and seek help.

"I am hoping to help at least one person out there. And that's why I spoke out."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20784292,00.html

And I haven't dismissed either side out of hand, and resent the implication that those of us in this thread that want to listen to both sides, and have clearly stated that we personally don't know, and don't want to make a judgement based on what we have seen (which are only articles written by friends of those involved - Orth and Weide, and small snippets of testimony published.) are called apologists. ( again i'll clean these posts up shortly and make them neat)
    sluce, spiderpig, Mel1973 and 2 others like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    And I haven't dismissed either side out of hand, and resent the implication that those of us in this thread that want to listen to both sides, and have clearly stated that we personally don't know, and don't want to make a judgement based on what we have seen (which are only articles written by friends of those involved - Orth and Weide, and small snippets of testimony published.) are called apologists. ( again i'll clean these posts up shortly and make them neat)
    When I say you can't dismiss either story out of hand, I'm not referring to any specific person in this thread. I'm saying that a case like this is very, very hard.

and unfortunately, most times that guy would walk free. So what do we do? Apply a different legal standard to cases that have no evidence but are 'he said she said'? Think hard about it.
    I don't know what to do. I only know what is done. The guy in that instance walks.
    DirtyGossip01 likes this.

if you are referring to me, I dd not say that anyone who says they don't know is an apologist. I said that the internet and this thread contain apologism for Allen, and bashing of Mia. I will stand by that, and I see no reason to single anyone out.

In my original post I did not claim to know what happened, though I did say I found Dylan's statement credible. If we are (a) going to speculate that Woody Allen didn't molest Dylan, and that Mia was a failure as a mother and shared a large portion of responsibility for the harm done, then I think we are free to speculate that (b) Allen did do it, and that Mia's errors might not equal his. I think I have seen more A than B. So I am representing B.

Oh, btw, you are absolutely right that molestation and abuse and rape charges with no physical evidence are really troubling.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

And what does that have to do with the fact that some people don't want to rush to condemn on accusation alone? Should we just convict people based on the fact that many children aren't believed?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Because sometimes all that a sexual assault victim has is their testimony - meaning, no witnesses and no physical evidence. For example, if a guy walked by a woman on the street and groped her genitals outside her clothes, that would be a sexual assault. But with no other witnesses, or no surveillance cameras around, all we would have have is her word against his.
    Not even being a smart ass, but what is the answer to that? How do we resolve that? Our entire legal system works in the opposite direction regarding burden of proof, so how can that be resolved? Should we apply a different standard in theses cases? ( I'll clean up all these posts as soon as I'm off my horrible work server)

I know you are being very sincere. What is going through my mind in this thread is that you cannot dismiss either story out of hand. There are weird elements to both.

and unfortunately, most times that guy would walk free. So what do we do? Apply a different legal standard to cases that have no evidence but are 'he said she said'? Think hard about it.

I don't know what to do. I only know what is done. The guy in that instance walks.
    And I haven't dismissed either side out of hand, and resent the implication that those of us in this thread that want to listen to both sides, and have clearly stated that we personally don't know, and don't want to make a judgement based on what we have seen (which are only articles written by friends of those involved - Orth and Weide, and small snippets of testimony published.) are called apologists.

When I say you can't dismiss either story out of hand, I'm not referring to any specific person in this thread. I'm saying that a case like this is very, very hard.

Sorry if I thought you meant here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    if you are referring to me, I dd not say that anyone who says they don't know is an apologist. I said that the internet and this thread contain apologism for Allen, and bashing of Mia. I will stand by that, and I see no reason to single anyone out.

In my original post I did not claim to know what happened, though I did say I found Dylan's statement credible. If we are (a) going to speculate that Woody Allen didn't molest Dylan, and that Mia was a failure as a mother and shared a large portion of responsibility for the harm done, then I think we are free to speculate that (b) Allen did do it, and that Mia's errors might not equal his. I think I have seen more A than B. So I am representing B.

Oh, btw, you are absolutely right that molestation and abuse and rape charges with no physical evidence are really troubling.
    I'm representing C. I don't know what happened, but I find both versions plausible in this particular case.

I agree there has been much bashing of Farrow. There has been more bashing of Allen. They both seem to be deserving of some of it. As do Ronan and Moses. The only one who doesn't deserve it is Dylan, because no matter which story is true she was victimized.

Cleaned up my post disaster. When I'm at work I can't edit my freaking posts and end up having to make multiples.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Hit By Ban Bus!

And what does that have to do with the fact that some people don't want to rush to condemn on accusation alone? Should we just convict people based on the fact that many children aren't believed?

Not even being a smart ass, but what is the answer to that? How do we resolve that? Our entire legal system works in the opposite direction regarding burden of proof, so how can that be resolved? Should we apply a different standard in theses cases? ( I'll clean up all these posts as soon as I'm off my horrible work server)

And I haven't dismissed either side out of hand, and resent the implication that those of us in this thread that want to listen to both sides, and have clearly stated that we personally don't know, and don't want to make a judgement based on what we have seen (which are only articles written by friends of those involved - Orth and Weide, and small snippets of testimony published.) are called apologists.

Sorry if I thought you meant here.

I'm representing C. I don't know what happened, but I find both versions plausible in this particular case.

I agree there has been much bashing of Farrow. There has been more bashing of Allen. They both seem to be deserving of some of it. As do Ronan and Moses. The only one who doesn't deserve it is Dylan, because no matter which story is true she was victimized.

Cleaned up my post disaster. When I'm at work I can't edit my freaking posts and end up having to make multiples.
    WCG....I don't know the answer to any of these questions, and I'm not accusing anyone of being an 'apologist' for either side. Seriously, I think the burden of proof needs to sway less in the favor of the accused, who can simply say "I didn't do it". Based on my memories and details of what happened, I guess I'm just lucky that my mother believed me and rallied on my behalf.

It is frustrating to me that the pedophile seems to be automatically believed, while the child/ victim is just brushed off as 'being coached' or exaggerating. Or, accused of the whole 'false memory' thing.

I don't have answers. I just know how it feels to me, and I instantly identified with what I feel is Dylan Farrow's sincerity. Wish I had the answers, but I don't. Just one (adult) child relating to the words and feelings of another abused kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    That's awesome! Sincerely. Because maybe it lowers the chances of this sort of stuff ever happening to you and yours to begin with, if it's true that people choose their targets based on vulnerability.
    Excuse you? What does my opinion about some stupid celebs have to do with MY REAL LIFE!! Good grief!! Please stop holding onto other peoples damage!!!! This has completely annoyed me to the point of being pissed off!! Like WOW!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyGossip01 View Post
    Seriously, I think the burden of proof needs to sway less in the favor of the accused, who can simply say "I didn't do it".
    sorry but due process and assumption of innocence until proven guilty is the foundation upon which the modern legal system is based and anyone accused of a crime has the right to that assumption, to due process and to a fair and adequate defence. it sucks that some children aren't believed and that accusers sometimes get off without any punishment but as horrible as it sounds, that can't be used to change that basic tenet of the justice system. an accusation is not a guilty verdict and if the accuser and the prosecution can't make their case and there isn't enough evidence to convict, well then that's that.

please don't think i don't care about victims. and child abuse is especially tricky because very often there isn't any physical evidence and/or enough evidence to convict. i guess there needs to be more outreach and education so parents and relatives and social workers can be more proactive and we need to remove the shame associated with it so that people won't be tempted to silence victims or sweep the abuse under the rug so as to not bring shame on the family.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i guess there needs to be more outreach and education so parents and relatives and social workers can be more proactive and we need to remove the shame associated with it so that people won't be tempted to silence victims or sweep the abuse under the rug so as to not bring shame on the family.
    What kind of outreach and education are you talking about, exactly? Would that help to prosecute offenders? I am asking sincerely because I hear about sexual abuse almost every day and today was a fucking DOOZY, and I can't imagine a single thing that could have been done "proactively" that would help to put this particular piece of shit (who raped the beautiful girl in my office for years) in prison, now that we know it happened.

It doesn't seem to matter if the kid tells quickly or decades later, it's still one person's word against the other in court. If the kid tells early, measures can be taken to keep the offender away from the child but the chances of a successful legal prosecution are still slim to none. Whether or not the kid or the family feels ashamed means nothing in this context.

I'm probably a little touchy today after hearing the 500th story of child sexual abuse and to be frank, the word "proactive" pisses me off. It implies something that I can't quite put my finger on but makes me want to punch somebody in the face. We can't send armies of "social workers" into the community, training the population on how not to sweep abuse under the rug, and victims will almost always be caught in an agonizing vortex of emotions, no matter what any social worker has to say at any point. The kid will tell when they're damn good and ready. If anybody has any suggestions on how I can remove the shame of sexual abuse, I'm listening.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

i really don't know what should be done, i was mostly thinking out loud. on one hand, victims need to come forward and they should be believed. but i can also see the other side, which is that an accusation isn't a guilty verdict, claims have to be investigated and the accused should be presumed innocent until proven guilty.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Apparently if you aren't ready to condemn someone based on an accusation, you're an apologist. Good to know. Many people here have shared stories of their molestation. I was lucky, and that never happened to me. But I do have someone close who was sentenced to jail for 17 years for attempted murder, served three years and was later cleared and released. Sexual predators should be jailed, but I'm wary of trial by accusation only. Especially by trial via Twitter and The New York Times Op-Ed page.
    Now that you've said this, your stance on the subject makes much more sense.

As a parent, I cannot imagine behaving like Mia Farrow. Most women I know feel something change when they become parents. It's this "mama-bear" behavior that comes out of nowhere and can be all consuming. So the idea that she would raise children with a man who wanted nothing to do with them, then worry about her 7 year old daughter, then see naked photos of a 21 year old daughter and STILL want to stay with the man is repulsive and inexcusable. No reasonable parent would do any of those things, much less all of them.

That tribute to WA made my stomach turn. My husband and I skipped the whole thing because we both find WA so repulsive. So, in that way, I can see where Dylan would have felt compelled to write this letter. I will say that while I believe her, there is a certain "drama queen/look at me!/pay attention to me!" behavior about several of MF's children. It's interesting that Dylan said she came out with this letter because her Vanity Fair article was lost in the shuffle of her brother's claims to be Sinatra's child. It's reminds me (in a crude way) of someone announcing something on facebook and not getting enough "likes" so they keep reposting it.

Diva, I thought that comment was meant to be in praise of the way you have probably raised your kids. Predators are less likely to prey on those who feel empowered and strong. Maybe I read it wrong but, at first read, I thought it was a nice compliment to you.
    sluce, mostroop and Laurent like this.

Yes ideally, victims should be believed. But some people pose as victims and lie. Some victims really are victims but then lie in addition to telling the truth. Some victims never tell anything. Some tell but don't want the offender to have consequences so they alter things, or often retract altogether. Some aren't even sure what the real truth is because other people and their own minds have distorted what happened. All this leaves a seed of doubt in every story, even the most truthful ones. Offenders go free and innocent people are ruined by false accusations. There is no clear way to know the truth in any of this fucked up bullshit and I don't know what to do about it either.

In my experience, most victims don't tell right away, not because they're ashamed, but because they don't want to deal with it. Or can't deal with it. Then later on, sometimes a very long time later, they feel like they need to deal with it so they tell. It all makes for a prosecutor's nightmare.

My gut tells me that Woody is a pedophile, a pervert and just a basic dirty old man. I've felt that way for as long as I remember. Doesn't matter, though. We could ALL feel that way and it wouldn't matter. Without evidence, he will walk and he will have legions of defenders who will use this to glorify him even more.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

^^^
    i think there's no way to know and while it sucks that there are victims out there who never get to see their abusers prosecuted, it's equally important that no one be convicted without proof.

as for allen, just as for mia farrow, their personal lives and actions don't change anything when it comes to their talent. i'm one of those people who can completely separate the artist from the art but it's a very personal thing and some people can't. and when it comes to art, there's often that contradiction between the human and all his/her faults and the wonderful, beautiful work they are capable of producing. it's part of our complexity as humans.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    My gut tells me that Woody is a pedophile, a pervert and just a basic dirty old man. I've felt that way for as long as I remember. Doesn't matter, though. We could ALL feel that way and it wouldn't matter. Without evidence, he will walk and he will have legions of defenders who will use this to glorify him even more.
    Even with evidence he would have a legion of defenders, just the same as Polanski. I'm afraid I'm not like Sputnik; if a singer/actor I had previously enjoyed was convicted of something like this then I would never be able to revisit any of their work without feeling revulsion. When the case against Ian Watkins became public I immediately got out my MP3 player and laptop and deleted the one and only LostProphets track I had. I know me and I know that I'll never hear that song again without feeling sick to my stomach.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Bravo Lobelia. You made some wonderful points. Most kids who report are telling the truth. The few that lie have other issues going on so there still needs to be a complete investigation to find out just what is happening that would cause a child to report something so terrible. There is a current case in Delaware right now that fits this well. It is a semi-famous Dr who was physically abusing his stepdaughter including waterboarding her. She had previously lied and reported sexual abuse which was found to be false when she admitted she lied. Her mother saw him waterboard her and did nothing because "she only saw he had her head in the kitchen sink he said he was washing her hair." When he was arrested the mother admits she got him home and discussed ways to try and lie and keep their stories the same. She finally turned on him and backed her daughter. IMO it's too little too late and she should not have custody of this child. It's Dr Melvin Morse if anyone wants to look at the case.

As for prevention, the only thing I have seen work starts with the parents. They talk to their kids starting around the age of 2 using age appropriate language about bad touch and secrets. Abusers will often ask young victims if they can keep a secret before the abuse begins. Little kids get excited that they are being trusted with this special secret so they say yes. Instead we need to teach our kids that our family does not keep secrets. We tell them if someone asks them if they can keep a secret they need to say NO my family does not keep secrets. That is often enough to deter an abuser. We also need to tell our kids that they can tell us anything and that we will believe them, love them, and protect them. Yellow Dyno is a program I highly recommend. It's age appropriate in teaching the concepts without terrifying the kids. They have great songs. My 2 favorites are My Body is Mine sung by Sebastian from the Little Mermaid, My Bodys Mine Song From Yello Dyno Can't Fool Me! CD Child Abuse Prevention, and We Trust our Feelings, Trust Your Feelings Song From Yello Dyno Can't Fool Me! CD Child Abuse Prevention which is a beautiful ballad telling kids to trust their instincts. Most kids I have treated do say that there was something about the abuser that made them uncomfortable before the abuse began but they didn't know what those feelings meant.

This is another song from Yellow Dyno.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Thread Information