Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree368Likes

Thread: Nun dies during court battle with Katy Perry

Quote Originally Posted by Jadestone View Post
    I think they broke away decades ago but still lived there until 2011 when the Archdiocese forced them out.

I find it completely believable that they had paperwork but couldn't produce it, and that they don't realize they're being scammed by the boutique hotel person. My usually reasonably intelligent 88-year-old father was ready to get a new roof for $27k because a pushy, charming, goodlooking salesman talked at him for hours. Last year he almost undersold our house and signed up for a reverse mortgage because the salespeople talked a good game. Also, he miraculously can never find any important papers even when he and I repeatedly sort through and store papers carefully. Not having the documents in court sounds just like something that would happen with my dad. Getting old sucks.
    I totally get what you are saying here. My grandpa was exactly the same way. He donated money to every person that called him or sent him a letter. Thousands upon thousands of dollars lost because he was basically an easy mark.

I just find it odd that these nuns broke away from the church to have their own group back in the 70's and were forced to leave the property in 2011. Have they been fighting the Archdioceses since then, or just since Katy Perry decided to buy the property? Wouldn't the property have to be registered under a legal name and if it was give to the nuns back in the 20's why wasn't the deed ever changed?

Can we just address the elephant in the room here??? Did anybody ever think that that nuns had a killer swimming pool to lounge around in at their convents?

Back when we were house hunting, we looked at a farm being sold by the Catholic church. It had a 10-man hot tub. I remember nothing else about that listing. I just stood there for a couple minutes, staring, open-mouthed at the thing. Pool does not surprise.

Now, the real elephant. Do you keep the veil and wimple on with your bikini while lounging at the pool?
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

czb

there is a convent around the corner from me. i see the nuns there who live on zillion dollar real estate, living the life. i see them on hikes in their habits.

they also do the gardening themselves. they told me they didn't want my dog going to the bathroom on 'their' yard (you know. the one they don't pay TAX on) and i said why, i always pick up after my pet (which i do). they said NO, they don't want it. so when they went inside i let my jewish dog take a big whizzer on the statue in front of 'their' home. because i felt like being an asshole.

that is all.
    Trixie, Brah, Nevan and 11 others like this.

I got lucky. All my nuns from catholic school were nice. Well, except for the one who made me wash off purple eyeshadow. But she was a damn good 8th grade Algebra teacher.
    sprynkles likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

czb, I love that.

I went to Catholic school for one year and that was enough for me, enough to last a lifetime. The principal was a former nun who left the church to marry a priest. She was the biggest bitch I've ever met, to this day I can hear her voice and it still feels like nails on a chalkboard. Whiny, nasally, always yelling and scolding.
    czb and holly like this.

My nuns were like a box of chocolates - you never knew what you were going to get.

Sister Mary Blanche was the 3rd grade teacher. At some point throughout the year, she made everybody cry from yelling at them in front of the whole class. Including me and the toughest boy in the class. She even once sucker-slapped me from the side so hard that I saw stars. But she could be very mothering. I felt like Tina Turner in there.

Sister Mary in fourth grade was okay, but this was when I was at my worst behavior (I literally got up out of class when she wasn't paying attention and would walk around the school grounds). Sister Myra in 6th grade was literally the nicest nun I ever met and had endless patience with me - I don't think she ever had to raise her voice at a student.

Sister Mary Kathleen was super cute, in her 20's and all the boys had a crush on her. I never had her as a teacher, though.

Sister Mary Ann. She was heavy set, had a wart on her nose and never shouted. But she was really mean. I only had her for 6th-grade religion class. She would read your grade out loud when she gave your test back, like Mr. Hand in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". And unfortunately, I was getting Jeff Spicoli-type grades.

Finally, there was Sister Patricia. I didn't have her, but my little brother did. She was, without a doubt the most baleful, humorless nun I had ever seen. It turns out she was even worse than I thought. My brother was in class with her one day, and two guys in white coats came to get her and chased her around the classroom and dragged her out of there, never to be seen again.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    there is a convent around the corner from me. i see the nuns there who live on zillion dollar real estate, living the life. i see them on hikes in their habits.

they also do the gardening themselves. they told me they didn't want my dog going to the bathroom on 'their' yard (you know. the one they don't pay TAX on) and i said why, i always pick up after my pet (which i do). they said NO, they don't want it. so when they went inside i let my jewish dog take a big whizzer on the statue in front of 'their' home. because i felt like being an asshole.

that is all.
    Your dog is my hero.
    SHELLEE and czb like this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Back when we were house hunting, we looked at a farm being sold by the Catholic church. It had a 10-man hot tub. I remember nothing else about that listing. I just stood there for a couple minutes, staring, open-mouthed at the thing. Pool does not surprise.

Now, the real elephant. Do you keep the veil and wimple on with your bikini while lounging at the pool?
    Yes, yes you do. Duh
    Quote Originally Posted by MsDark View Post
    I got lucky. All my nuns from catholic school were nice. .
    Does not compute
    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    My nuns were like a box of chocolates - you never knew what you were going to get.

Sister Mary Blanche was the 3rd grade teacher. At some point throughout the year, she made everybody cry from yelling at them in front of the whole class. Including me and the toughest boy in the class. She even once sucker-slapped me from the side so hard that I saw stars. But she could be very mothering. I felt like Tina Turner in there.

Sister Mary in fourth grade was okay, but this was when I was at my worst behavior (I literally got up out of class when she wasn't paying attention and would walk around the school grounds). Sister Myra in 6th grade was literally the nicest nun I ever met and had endless patience with me - I don't think she ever had to raise her voice at a student.

Sister Mary Kathleen was super cute, in her 20's and all the boys had a crush on her. I never had her as a teacher, though.

Sister Mary Ann. She was heavy set, had a wart on her nose and never shouted. But she was really mean. I only had her for 6th-grade religion class. She would read your grade out loud when she gave your test back, like Mr. Hand in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". And unfortunately, I was getting Jeff Spicoli-type grades.

Finally, there was Sister Patricia. I didn't have her, but my little brother did. She was, without a doubt the most baleful, humorless nun I had ever seen. It turns out she was even worse than I thought. My brother was in class with her one day, and two guys in white coats came to get her and chased her around the classroom and dragged her out of there, never to be seen again.
    Did anyone smell their armpit sweat. I just thought of sister Mary Gallagher from SNL with all of the sister references
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Yes, yes you do. Duh
    well, excuuuuse me. for not knowing
    SHELLEE and OrangeSlice like this.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    well, excuuuuse me. for not knowing
    I shall forgive your ignorance.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I knew few nuns, but the ones I did know were either super nice and serene or drinkers that swore like truck drivers and played poker in the convent. I managed to avoid the nasty ones.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

According to canon law all religious orders l’real estate belongs to the Church. Generally, there’s juridic administration ie the Diocese it’s located in. So no matter who initially bought/donated the property, as it was for religious use that was an order under the Church, it’s owned by the Church.

The nuns were basically given grace and favor to stay when they broke away. The Diocese could have evicted them at that time but it usually doesn’t happen as it reflects poorly.
    Waterslide and Lalasnake like this.

EXCLUSIVE: Katy Perry goes after real estate developer who was ordered to pay her $5 million for interfering in the popstar's purchase of a convent after the house flipper files for bankruptcy

• Dana Hollister filed for bankruptcy last week, just three months after she was ordered to pay a total of $15M in punitive damages
    • Court docs obtained by DailyMail.com show she lists 'The Bird's Nest LLC' - Katy Perry's company - as one of her creditors to which she owes $5.2 million
    • Perry's legal team has opposed Hollister's filing accusing her of filing for bankruptcy so she could 'carry on with her lavish lifestyle
    • If granted, Hollister will be able to reorganize her debts, while retaining her estate and provide for her other creditors
    • The two parties were involved in a legal feud after Perry had sought to buy the eight-acre hilltop property in LA's Los Feliz neighborhood for $14.5 million
    • But Hollister stepped in and attempted to purchase the property from two nuns who had lived there for just $40,000

By KAREN RUIZ FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
    PUBLISHED: 14:36, 13 March 2018 | UPDATED: 15:38, 13 March 2018

Real estate developer Dana Hollister has filed for bankruptcy three months after she was ordered to pay $15million in punitive damages for allegedly trying to interfere in the sale of a convent to Katy Perry.
    In court documents obtained by DailyMail.com, Hollister lists the pop singer's company - 'The Bird's Nest LLC' - as one of her creditors to which she owes $5.2 million.
    She also owes $10 million to the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Los Angeles as part of the December ruling.
    But last Tuesday, Hollister submitted an emergency petition for Chapter 11 bankruptcy asking to reorganize her debts and to use cash collateral.
    This is so even though she not in default on any contractual obligations secured by real property, she has paid all such obligations due for the month of March 2018, and her budget provides for such payments to continue.
    She states she is seeking to 'reorganize by reaching a resolution of the dispute with the Archbishop and Ms Perry (whether through litigation or by settlement) so that Debtor can retain her estate and provide for her other creditors.'

+7

+7

Katy Perry is battling it out in court again against real estate developer Dana Hollister (right) who tried to block her purchase of a Los Angeles convent

+7

Hollister and Perry's feud stems from a years-long legal battle that came about when the Roar singer sought to buy an eight-acre hilltop property - known as The Waverly Property (pictured) - and its Roman-villa style buildings in LA's Los Feliz neighborhood for $14.5 million in 2014

Perry's legal team filed an opposition just two days later, slamming Hollister's motion stating she filed for bankruptcy just so she can 'carry on with her lavish lifestyle.'
    In her filing, the LA-based developer lists assets totaling $49,055,621.30 and liabilities in the amount of $41,092,921.29.
    The pop star claims Hollister fudged numbers in order for her income to appear lower in the initial lawsuit, and has now altered her finances to appear greater on her bankruptcy filing.
    'Dana Hollister describes herself as a "very successful" "visionary" "innovator" and "entrepreneur." These words stand in stark contrast to the illicit conduct and behavior engaged by Ms Hollister that led to her file this bankruptcy case,' Perry's attorneys state.
    'At the time [of the proceedings], it was in [Hollister's] financial interest to have a lower net worth since the jury was required to consider her finances when assessing punitive damages.
    'The difference between the values she ascribed to assets in that proceeding and what she now ascribes just three months later to these very same assets, as set forth in the Bankruptcy Schedules, is staggering.'
    Hollister and Perry's feud stems from a years-long legal battle that came about when the Roar singer sought to buy an eight-acre hilltop property - known as The Waverly Property - and its Roman-villa style buildings in LA's Los Feliz neighborhood for $14.5 million in 2014.

+

Hollister filed for bankruptcy just three months after the ruling, and list's Perry's company - The Bird's Nest, LLC, as one of her creditors to whom she owes $5.2M

+7

Perry submitted a bid for the property to LA's archdiocese back in 2014, however, Hollister stepped in and attempted to buy it directly from two nuns who had lived there for only $44,000.

+7

The Sisters of the Most Holy and Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary owned the property for more than 40 years but hadn't lived in the convent for several years

Perry's bid was approved by the LA archbishop.
    However, the sale was nearly thwarted when Hollister stepped in and attempted to buy it directly from two nuns who had lived there.
    The Sisters of the Most Holy and Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary owned the property for more than 40 years but hadn't lived in the convent for several years.
    Hollister believed she owned the house after paying the nuns just $44,000 for the 20,000 square-foot property and moving in – while Perry was willing to pay $10 million to the nuns in cash, plus an additional $4.5 million for the home's House of Prayers, an Archdiocese spokesperson previously told DailyMail.com.
    During a post judgment hearing on Friday, one of the nuns at at the center of the legal drama, Sister Catherine Rose Holzman, 89, died in court.
    Holzman and Sister Rita Callanan had defended Hollister, who wanted to turn the 20,000 square-foot property into a boutique hotel with the nun's blessing, but has now been forced to declare bankruptcy.
    'You have stolen the property of the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart. Please archbishop... Do what is right in your heart,' Callahan begged in the televised interview just before her friend's death.
    In December, the jury found that Hollister interfered with contractual relations and other misdeeds. They also found that her actions led to Perry and the archdiocese having to pay exorbitant lawyer fees and other costs, which Hollister should get the bill for.

+

Hollister, an LA-based developer, runs her business The Paramour out of her home (pictured) which she lists has a value of $36 million

A judge voided that sale earlier this year, saying the archdiocese had the right to sell the property, not the nuns.
    In her suit, Hollister claims she was told by the Sisters and their counsel, and her due diligence led her to believe, that the Waverly Property was owned by the Sisters and controlled by them.
    'There were two parties interested in acquiring the property, Debtor [Hollister] and singer Katy Perry. Debtor offered to pay the higher price and, upon receiving the blessing of the Archibishop, the Sisters entered into an agreement to sell the Waverly Property to the Debtor.
    'Debtor does not know, but suspects that Ms Perry, frustrated in her efforts to purchase the property, sought a 'higher power' to intercede on her behalf.'

Hollister, whose main business is The Paramour, which she lists has a value of $36 million, states that she filed on the eve of hearings on execution motions filed by the Archbishop and/or Perry and if not halted, would have 'irrevocably destroyed her business.'
    Her emergency motion seeks approval to use cash collateral to pay wages, insurance premiums, mortgage payments, utilities and a personal budget (for Debtor's personal expenses) of $8,000/month.
    Perry claims if Hollister's motion is granted she will continue to be able to live in her mansion, drive her Mercedes and carry on her lavish life style, 'No showing has been made which would justify an affront to her creditors.'
    The singer stated she wants the Paramour put up for sale immediately saying the evidence demonstrates that there is a significant monthly diminution of the value of home and no corresponding benefit to the estate by the continued operation of the property.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5475129/Katy-Perry-blasts-bankrupt-house-flipper-owes-5m.html

+7

I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Oooh, this is getting interesting. That property is freaking gorgeous. I bet the yearly taxes are more than $44K.
    fgg likes this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information