Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Next Top Model Judge Hospitalized after Twitter Bullying Leads to Suicide Attempt

A*O

But it's not fair or realistic to blame social media's lack of "caring". Their argument is that they simply give people the tools and it's up to them to use them responsibly. It's a valid point. I know I'm a cracked record (remember those?) on this but I do worry how pervasive and invasive social media has become in almost every aspect of our lives. Some people genuinely don't seem able to function without it.
    sluce, Kathie_Moffett and BoogsBun like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

I'm the first one to say that I don't "get" twitter at all. I am of two minds about this. On the one hand, this woman is the one who saw suicide as her only option. No one else made that decision for her. I had never heard of this woman prior to this thread and can't comment about her beyond her suicide. On the other, look at the number of kids who have been bullied to the point where they cannot take it anymore. Does bullying via social media absolve those doing it from being held responsible for the repercussions of their actions? I don't think so. Yes, we must be held accountable for our own actions. But does that not include those who are doing the bullying?
    dougie likes this.

A*O

Oh it happens, GR included sometimes. I guess the anonymity of the Internet allows people to behave far worse than they would "in real life" but so many people, including vulnerable/depressed people, rely so heavily on social media for validation it's easy to see how these tragedies happen. In some cases a phone/iPad/computer IS literally a life support device which is disturbing.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Oh it happens, GR included sometimes. I guess the anonymity of the Internet allows people to behave far worse than they would "in real life" but so many people, including vulnerable/depressed people, rely so heavily on social media for validation it's easy to see how these tragedies happen. In some cases a phone/iPad/computer IS literally a life support device which is disturbing.
    I understand what you mean and it is concerning. I've never relied on social media for validation so it's hard to wrap my head around it. It's a hell of a way to feel connected to other people. A particularly sad commentary on society I think.
    arie_skop and Bellatheball like this.

She killed herself not the internet. As AO has pointed out in this thread, she chose to keep reading and participating in all internet hoopla. Christ the Aussie media is saint-ing her up already.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information