Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: News of the World to close amid hacking scandal

Sure loved the attempted shaving cream pie today. Made my entire day.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

You know this makes you rethink all the celeb gossip that came from NOTW. All the times that they were sued or were asked for a written apology. I look back on those and think they only paid out because they couldn't say how they heard the news. I was thinking specifically about Brad and AJ supposedly splitting up. Brad and Jen speaking on the phone to one another for instance. I wish I was able to get that newspaper. I bet they had juicy gossip.

Apparently when it comes to News Corp, the buck stops with anyone other than Murdoch, so that makes his ignorance completely okay. I guess the over $600 million NewsCorp had to pay out to businesses in the US alone over corporate espionage (hacking of a different sort) is just an oopsies too that he also had nothing to do with.

This guy's been dodging actual complicity and trying to pay off his company's wrongdoings with bribes and settling out of courts for decades, the idea that he was blissfully ignorant and this is all his minions' fault is bullshit.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

I know. He is hiding behind his doddery old man act.

Luckily his sprightly wife came to the rescue and hit the cream pie thrower over the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Sure loved the attempted shaving cream pie today. Made my entire day.
    Me too!!! This story brightens my world every day. Such a change from the norm...

Also loving the Anonymous hackers this week. Talk about hoist by your own petard!!!

I too think that of course Murdoch fucking knew all. He is one of my worldwide most hated so if all this actually brings him down to any appreciable degree it will be a cherished dream come true for me.

And...Hoare's death wasn't suspicious, RIGHT, my fanny it wasn't!!! Ridiculous!!! Are they really that arrogant??? Don't answer....
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

This was discussed on "Morning Joe" today and it was said that Murdoch knows exactly what's happening everywhere in his "empire". He knows how much has been paid out, to whom, and for what. For him to disavow knowledge of this is pure arrogance. We are ALL smarter than that.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Absolutely! A company doesn't pay out over $600 million dollars in one country alone for legal settlements related to their own fuckery without the CEO knowing about it! Unless the CEO is Helen Keller or dead, not gonna happen.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

I heard part of Rupert Murdoch's questioning in Parliament yesterday and one part stuck out.

The questioner asked him about the previous phone hacking inquiry, and asked Rupert something along the lines of "would you now agree that this was an illegal practice?"

And Rupert said something like "No, if it was illegal, then why wasn't he arrested?"

Loooooong pause. Finally the questioner says, "Because Mr. Murdoch, it was a civil, not a criminal, trial. "

That guy surely doesn't seem like the sharpest knife in the drawer...

Quote Originally Posted by Dean James View Post
    Absolutely! A company doesn't pay out over $600 million dollars in one country alone for legal settlements related to their own fuckery without the CEO knowing about it! Unless the CEO is Helen Keller or dead, not gonna happen.
    Hey! Don't insult Helen!!
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Nearly One Quarter Of Met Police Press Officers Worked For News International, Police Chief Says
    First Posted: 19/7/11 14:03 GMT
    Nearly one quarter of the Metropolitan Police’s press staff have worked for News International at some point, Sir Paul Stephenson, the outgoing commissioner, revealed on Tuesday.

The news will deepen questions about the relationship between the police and the newspaper group, after it was revealed that former News of the World journalist Neil Wallis was employed by police as a PR consultant.

The Metropolitan Police chief, who resigned from his post on Sunday after questions about his links to Wallis, told MPs on the Home Affairs Select Committee:

“I understand there are 10 members of the DPA staff that have worked for News International in some capacity in the past, in some cases journalists, in some cases undertaking work experience in the organisation.”
    The news was greeted with incredulity by the select committee chief, MP Keith Vaz.

There are 45 people working in the Metropolitan Police’s Department of Public Affairs.

The committee also pressed Sir Paul on the Evening Standard's report that the News of the World’s chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck worked for police as an informer during his time at the paper.

Sir Paul said he would not have been aware of the relationship.
    Source: Nearly One Quarter Of Met Police Press Officers Worked For News International, Police Chief Says
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    I know. He is hiding behind his doddery old man act.

Luckily his sprightly wife came to the rescue and hit the cream pie thrower over the head.

I don't know if it was mentioned, but on one of the news shows last night, they mentioned that his wife is a former college volleyball player. And she certainly did spike that pie away!

I love the sloooooo-motion on this video:
    ‪Rupert Murdoch Attacked With Pie‬‏ - YouTube

Hughie

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-9Y4emqC34[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxeyvLPpKsM&feature=related[/youtube]

Emails between Rebekah Brooks and David Cameron 'withheld' from Leveson Inquiry as details emerge of her £7m 'golden goodbye' from News International

• Number 10 reportedly kept 'dozens' of personal emails between the PM and the former News International editor from getting into the public domain
    • Downing Street insist the inquiry handed over every communication that was requested
    • Rebekah Brooks received £7million 'golden goodbye' pay-off when she resigned over the phone hacking scandal

By Gerri Peev

PUBLISHED: 04:44, 16 October 2012 | UPDATED: 12:44, 16 October 2012
    Emails between David Cameron and Rebekah Brooks are believed to have been withheld from the Leveson Inquiry on the advice of lawyers.

Number 10 reportedly kept ‘dozens’ of personal emails between the Prime Minister and the former News International editor and chief executive from getting into the public domain.

The news emerges as it was revealed Ms Brooks received a £7million pay-off when she resigned over the phone hacking scandal.

Correspondents: Emails between Rebekah Brooks, former Chief Executive of News International, and Prime Minister David Cameron, right, are believed to have been withheld from the Leveson Inquiry

In court: Rebekah Brooks, the former head of News International, faces charges for perverting the course of justice in relation to phone hacking

The award for Brooks - much higher than the £1.7m cash pay-out previously reported - is set to rile investors.

She had already left the PM embarrassed when she told the inquiry the Prime Minister signed his texts with lol - the acronym for laugh out loud - as he thought it stood for 'lots of love'.
    Phone hacking victim: Labour MP Chris Bryant has called for all emails to be released

It is believed that government lawyers told Downing Street the emails, which included messages to former Number 10 communications director Andy Coulson while he was still employed by Rupert Murdoch, would not have been ‘relevant’ to Lord Leveson’s inquiry into press standards.

More...

During his appearance before the inquiry, Mr Cameron pledged to make available any emails which discussed Mr Murdoch’s bid for BskyB.

But last night Number 10 said ‘no further relevant material had been found’.
    A spokeswoman said: ‘In common with previous prime ministers, the PM sought legal advice in order to co-operate fully with a judicial inquiry.’

Labour MP Chris Bryant, who was a victim of phone hacking, called for the dossier of emails to be released.

He said it should not be up to lawyers to decide what information to make available.

Mr Bryant told the Independent: ‘If the Prime Minister has taken any steps to prevent any material, relevant or not, whether texts, emails or notes of conversations between David Cameron and Rebekah Brooks, Andy Coulson and News International, from coming into the public domain, then people will think this is yet another instance of the Prime Minister being less than straightforward with the country.’

But a No 10 spokesman insisted: 'All the material the inquiry asked for was given to them.'

REBEKAH BROOKS' £7MILLION 'GOLDEN GOODBYE' FOR RESIGNATION

Rebekah Brooks was awarded a £7million pay-off when she resigned over the phone hacking scandal, it emerged last night.

The ‘golden goodbye’ award is thought to consist of cash and pension payments as well as use of a chauffeur-driven car and an allowance for legal fees.

Ms Brooks, who headed Australian tycoon Rupert Murdoch’s UK newspaper arm, quit in disgrace last July.

Ms Brooks, from Churchill in Oxfordshire, is accused of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice over allegations that she tried to conceal information from police investigating phone hacking and claims of corrupt payments to public officials at The Sun and the News of the World.

The trial is set to take place next September.

News of the payoff also emerged on the eve of today’s (Tuesday) annual general meeting of News Corp, News International’s parent group.

The award for Brooks - much higher than the £1.7m cash pay-out previously reported - is also set to rile investors.

It is understood Ms Brooks' pay off includes a ‘claw back’ clause – which allows News International to recover some of Ms Brooks’ pay in certain circumstances.

Read more: Emails between Rebekah Brooks and David Cameron 'withheld' from Leveson Inquiry | Mail Online

Disgusting scumbags the lot of them. They deserve prison sentences.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

I bet half is accounted for by legal fees.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information