Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: News of the World to close amid hacking scandal

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

More and more people are speculating that they were victims of hacking attempts. Bloggers/Authors Belle Du Jour (Dr Brooke Magnanti) and Girl With a One Track Mind (Zoe Margolis) have both said that they suspect that attempts were made to hack their e-mails.

Sex bloggers Belle de Jour and Girl With A One Track Mind say they were hacked by Sunday Times | Mail Online
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

More!

FBI is now going to investigate the 9/11 claims
    Phone hacking scandal

I hope that this may affect Faux News - that would be GLORIOUS!

Please take Faux News with you. Thanks - Brookie
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

^^No kidding.

I was watching Morning Joe this morning and I was kind of sad because one favs, Chuck Todd, made a total douche bag asshole out of himself by actually asking out loud how this was any different than TMZ and that TMZ was actually the real scourge of journalism.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Rebekkah Brooks has resigned. Parliament has called Rupert Murdoch, Jamie Murdoch and Rebekkah Brooks to testify on Tuesday.

I was glad to see Ms Brooks pack it in. Seems to me she put a lot of nice people out of work and was unphased by their misery. JMO.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    Rebekkah Brooks has resigned. Parliament has called Rupert Murdoch, Jamie Murdoch and Rebekkah Brooks to testify on Tuesday.
    Please, please, PLEASE let this scandal grow overseas to the USA. Maybe we are too complacent and our laws too beneficial to monopolizing giants. Since we legally allow our news corps to lie to us (thanks to legislation sponsored by Murdock corp) I don't know how this will be accomplished.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

#NotW Hackgate EXCLUSIVE: Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie & Jennifer Aniston

Short version:

Holy cow! It looks like News of the World ‘hacked’ the phone(s) of Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, and/or Jennifer Aniston!

Long version:

1. As I have already noted, if we are to hope to hold News Corporation to account for the conduct of newspapers operating under subsidiary News International, then what we need are victims of phone ‘hacking’ who are US citizens (or even, at this stage, US citizens who are potential victims). Given the enormous monetary/legal resources Rupert Murdoch has and the political influence he retains despite this massive scandal, it is preferable that these victims have ample resources and access to legal Rottweilers. So, if you’ll pardon the arrogance of my onomatopoeia; Boom.

2. Speaking of legal Rottweilers, I have already written about the pattern of celebrity stories that claim to be based on leaks from ‘friends’, but appear instead to have been based on illicitly-accessed phone messages, but I think News of the World would have been far more wary of basing a scoop solely/obviously on Brangelina’s phone messages than they would have been with your average citizen (and with good reason; the couple sued the newspaper over a later article in 2010). I suspect News of the World staff/editors retained most of what they discovered through this route and did not publish the usual level of detail until after the Pitt/Aniston break-up was public knowledge and there were enough actual blabbers around (i.e. in the bitter dispute that followed) to provide adequate cover. I expect I’ll know more once I get my hands on that October 2004 item mentioned in this article.

3. Look at the detail. The source News of the World rely on here appears to know a lot about the tone of voice people used in these intimate phone conversations. This does not look good for News of the World. This does not look good at all.

4. Like the Danielle Jones article, this item is not only prominent (Page 9), it makes specific reference to phones. We are expected to believe that then-editor Andy Coulson somehow missed this or looked at this item (knowing the pronounced risks of litigation) and did not make any enquiries about the source.

5. Hell, if you’re the speculating type, try to imagine Glenn Mulcaire listening in to this break-up of a leading celebrity couple, and then try to guess who he might speak to about this dynamite story. Personally, if I were a greedy tabloid scumbag, I’d be talking directly to the editor if not passing on messages about how many extra zeroes this one would cost.

6. Later today, I’ll get in touch with Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie’s London lawyers, Schillings. I’m ‘known’ to these lawyers, you know… for something completely different!!! (Sorry. Private joke. Moving on.)

7. I do hate to go on and on like a poorly-compressed MP3, but this revelation is the result of wholly independent research, and if you’d like to make sure that I have the time/funds/capacity to do more, then please donate today:

#NotW Hackgate EXCLUSIVE: Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie & Jennifer Aniston | Bloggerheads

Brooks arrested in hacking scandal

(Reuters) - Rebekah Brooks, the former head of Rupert Murdoch's UK newspaper business, was arrested on Sunday in the latest twist of a phone-hacking scandal that has tainted British police and politicians and shaken the tycoon's global media empire.

Several sources familiar with the situation said Brooks, 43, was being questioned as part of an investigation into allegations of illegal voicemail interception and police bribery at the News of the World tabloid she once edited.

Brooks quit as head of News International, the British unit of Murdoch's News Corp last Friday, but has denied she knew of the alleged hacking of thousands of phones, including that of a murdered schoolgirl.

The revelations have shocked the public and raised concerns not only about unethical media practice but about the influence Murdoch has wielded over successive British leaders and allegations of cozy relationships between some of his journalists and the police.

With politicians from Australia to the United States demanding to know if similar abuses occurred elsewhere in Murdoch's global media business, the 80-year-old has been forced on the defensive and the position of his son James as heir-apparent has been called into question.

In Britain, Prime Minister David Cameron has come under fire for his friendship with Brooks and for employing another former News of the World editor, Andy Coulson, as his press secretary even after Coulson had quit the paper in 2007 following the jailing of a reporter for phone-hacking.

"The waters are very definitely lapping around the Murdochs' own ankles," Chris Bryant, a member of parliament for Britain's opposition Labour Party, told Reuters.

Tim Bale, politics professor at the University of Sussex, told Reuters: "I think this was pretty uncomfortable for Cameron already and it will get more uncomfortable now over the next week."

Brooks, Murdoch and his son James will be questioned in Britain's parliament on Tuesday, including over reports that News International misled parliament during earlier hearings.

"It brings the whole thing closer to him (Cameron)," Bale said. If one believes all the talk of a Chipping Norton set, it reinforces this impression of a cozy elite at the top of the media/political complex," he added, referring to a town in Cameron's affluent countryside constituency where Brooks also has a home.

Brooks became the focus of widespread anger over the phone-hacking scandal but was initially protected by Murdoch, who guided her rise through the male-dominated world of UK tabloid journalism to become editor of the News of the World in 2000 and the Sun's first female editor in 2003.

Flying into London a week ago to take charge of the crisis, Murdoch appeared before journalists with his arm around her. Asked what was his first priority, he gestured at her and replied: "This one."

Brooks' lawyer Dave Wilson told Reuters that Brooks went to a London police station of her own volition by pre-arranged appointment. He said she was assisting police with their inquiries and declined to comment further.

A senior News International source said the company was surprised by the arrest and had had no indication it was coming.

The News of the World, which published its final edition a week ago, is alleged to have hacked thousands of phones, including that of murdered 13-year-old Milly Dowler, sparking a furor that forced Murdoch to close the paper and drop a $12 billion plan to buy all of highly profitable broadcaster BSkyB.

Murdoch, who some media commentators say at first misjudged the strength of public anger, broke his silence at the weekend by publishing apologies in several British newspapers.

He lost another loyal executive on Friday when Les Hinton resigned as chief executive of Murdoch's Dow Jones & Co which publishes The Wall Street Journal.

"There are no excuses and should be no place to hide ... We will continue to cooperate fully and actively with the Metropolitan Police Service," News International said in an announcement on Sunday. Unlike apologies published on Saturday, these were not signed by Murdoch.

Leading British politicians renewed calls for greater media plurality and press regulation -- a direct threat to Murdoch's empire, which includes The Sun, The Times and Sunday Times broadsheets, and 39 percent of BSkyB.

The Sunday Telegraph reported that members of the board of BSkyB, where James Murdoch serves as chairman, are due to meet in a special session on July 28 to discuss his future.

The scandal has also embroiled Britain's police, who are accused of being too close to News Corp, of accepting cash from the now defunct News of the World and other newspapers, and of not doing enough to investigate the phone-hacking allegations that surfaced as far as back as 2005.

In 2003 Brooks admitted that the News of the World had made payments to police in the past but could not remember any specific examples.

(Additional reporting by Keith Weir and Georgina Prodhan, Writing by Elizabeth Piper, Editing by Mark Trevelyan)

Source: Brooks arrested in hacking scandal | Reuters

I was listening to the radio news & they were talking about the timing of her arrest being strange, given that she's appearing before the committee on Tuesday. The "arrest" was arranged between her & the police.
    Also, being arrested affords a person certain rights (representation, taped convos, etc etc)

Brooks: Reaction To Arrest Of Ex NI Chief Exec

5:31pm UK, Sunday July 17, 2011
    Milly Dowler's family lawyer Mark Lewis is one of several people who believe the timing of Rebekah Brooks' arrest is surprising.

Dowler family lawyer Mark Lewis:
    "One has to ask when the appointment was made because obviously Mrs Brooks had said she was going to see the committee on Tuesday.
    "Undoubtedly, she will have the option now of saying 'I'm sorry, I can't answer that because of the fact that I'm under a police investigation.
    "One needs to ask the police when that appointment was made - the timing stinks.
    "I think it gives the impression that certain questions can't be asked ... to be arrested two days before a committee attendance ... it looks deliberate."
    Media expert Steve Hewlett:
    "Once she had been arrested, she could quite fairly say, in answer to some questions at least, that she does run the risk of incriminating herself and I don't think that would be regarded as fair under any circumstances," he said.
    "So the fact that she has been arrested is not entirely a surprise.
    "I don't that it should be taken to mean that there is, necessarily, evidence pointing to her direct knowledge of any of the original events. There might be ... but I imagine it's a form of procedure really."
    Media lawyer Mark Stephens:
    "The question that raises its head rather interestingly is: are the police gathering evidence for their own witnesses or are they going to be hermetically sealed as against the information that they're gathering from people like Neil Wallis, Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson because the timing of this arrest does seem surprisingly to me."
    "Rebekah Brooks is going to appear before the Select Committee on Tuesday. There's a public inquiry going to take place. I think we all felt she was likely to be going to assist the police with their inquiries at some point.
    "But is this being done so that the police can gather information about what she might be intending to say - and, indeed what others might be intending to say - to the Select Committee given that the police also have to appear before another Select Committee on Tuesday."
    Constitutional expert Professor John Curtice:
    "She could, if she wished to, not accept the committee's invitation to appear on Tuesday.
    "However, unlike Rupert Murdoch, because she is a British citizen, it is the case that should Parliament wish to do so, it could then use its powers to require her to attend.
    "As it's the High Court of Parliament, ultimately even if she were to be in custody, Parliament could require the Serjeant at Arms to extract her from prison to require her to appear before Parliament - although Parliament has not resorted to that yet."

Former News Of The World editor Paul Connew:
    "The timing is surprising, I think, given the scheduled appearance on Tuesday, Mrs Brooks had indicated previously that she was willing to be interviewed so the decision to arrest her prior to Tuesday is a little surprising.
    "I also think it raises the question of whether she will be much more inhibited as to what she can say to the committee."
    Former NOTW Journalist Nick Ferrari
    "Just seven days ago this woman was chief executive of News International ... since that time she's lost her job and she's under police arrest. It shows how fast moving this story is and how much further and deeper the tentacles may go.
    "I think it's healthy that Parliament and the police are investigating separately. I'd hate to think that Parliament might say to the police: 'We'll ease up to let you guys go on' or vice-versa.
    "We're hearing about possible links involving all parts of British society.
    "I question the idea about public indignation. Seven days ago a record number bought the News Of The World. People are still buying Mr Murdoch's products. It's not indignation, it's confusion, it's puzzlement, it's consternation and it is concern.
    "But this idea that people are queuing up to dump all over News International - when I went to the supermarket I found people more worried about their gas prices and how much a packet of pasta or cornflakes had gone up, than they were about the News Of The World."

Even if the timing is strange- the allegations and growing likelihood that bribing was widespread is going to engulf the US authorities to investigate too and that will put pressure on the corrupt police officials to investigate. The more they try to stall and covering this up the worse it will be. I can't believe the freaking commissioner accepted a 5 star stay at a health farm for his recovery from an NI lackey.

The timing being strange has nothing to do with anything/investigation going on with the US. This is about the parlimentary investigation that is happening in Britain.

True but even if she did attend she wont be able to say much because she's going to get herself into trouble. She wasn't expecting to be arrested today just answering questions as a witness - The investigations in the US will be a factor later on though because the Serious Fraud Office have said they will be looking into this and this will put News Corp into the firing line and the Murdochs especially if the bribes are proven true to officials.

There is rumours that James Murdoch may also be arrested before Tuesday on twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    Even if the timing is strange- the allegations and growing likelihood that bribing was widespread is going to engulf the US authorities to investigate too and that will put pressure on the corrupt police officials to investigate. The more they try to stall and covering this up the worse it will be. I can't believe the freaking commissioner accepted a 5 star stay at a health farm for his recovery from an NI lackey.
    He has resigned now.

17 July 2011 Last updated at 20:30 Met Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson quits

Click to play

Sir Paul Stephenson announced his resignation in a short, filmed statement

Continue reading the main story Phone-hacking scandal

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson has resigned following the phone hacking scandal.
    Britain's most senior police officer has faced criticism for hiring former News of the World executive Neil Wallis - who was questioned by police investigating hacking - as an adviser.
    Sir Paul said his links to the journalist could hamper investigations.
    He said there were lessons to be learned from the affair, but he was leaving with his integrity intact.
    He also said he had no knowledge of the extent of the phone hacking.
    Earlier Home Secretary Theresa May said she would address MPs on Monday about her "concerns" over the closeness of the relationship between News International and police.
    Sir Paul said in a statement: "I have taken this decision as a consequence of the ongoing speculation and accusations relating to the Met's links with News International at a senior level and in particular in relation to Mr Neil Wallis."
    'Great sadness' He added: "Let me state clearly, I and the people who know me know that my integrity is completely intact.
    "I may wish we had done some things differently, but I will not lose sleep over my personal integrity."
    Sir Paul said he had informed Buckingham Palace, Ms May and London Mayor Boris Johnson about his decision.
    Sir Paul has also faced questions over his stay with his wife at a luxury health spa which employed Mr Wallis.
    The journalist was working as a public relations consultant for Champneys spa when Sir Paul recuperated from surgery there earlier this year.
    The Met acknowledged Sir Paul had stayed there for free while he recovered from a fractured leg caused by an operation to remove a pre-cancerous tumour.
    Mayor of London Mr Johnson said he accepted the resignation with "great sadness and reluctance" and he had no reason to doubt his "complete integrity".
    "I believe him to be a fine, passionate and committed public servant who has done a huge amount of good for our city," he said.
    Earlier on Sunday the former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks was arrested by police investigating phone hacking and corruption.

BBC News - Met Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson quits

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoyWhoLived View Post
    #NotW Hackgate EXCLUSIVE: Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie & Jennifer Aniston
    I predict the same happened last year.
    NotW was reporting about a break up. The Brand sued the tabloid.
    sharp as Angie's square jaw

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information