Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: New Book Exposes Ethel Kennedy as Poor Mother, Cheapskate and Racist

czb

^^^ you guys know opus-dei types IRL? i read about them here but don't know any.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ^^^ you guys know opus-dei types IRL? i read about them here but don't know any.
    Not anyone who actually attends Opus Dei services. I thought that church was in Northern Virginia. Scalia and the FBI guy who sold information to Russia both attended mass there.

czb

but do you know any who are but do not attend?

i don't know anyone at all. i guess i am sheltered??

oh yeah, including some relatives. some are nuts, some aren't, like most people.
    my opus relatives are on the nutty and militant side, including one crazy bitch (who's not technically my relative since she's married to my cousin) who has 5 kids, 4 boys and 1 girl, and spends all her free time writing about how the gays and birth control are ruining the world. her son just came out as gay, and immediately moved to new york and far away from his crazy mother. the dad is relatively normal and not opus dei but doesn't stand up to the mom and let her raise them with her nutty opus dei beliefs, the dad's brother is also married to another opus dei nutter and they also have 5 kids, all boys. she's a nutter and a hypocrite since being opus dei and ranting about birth control and the gays didn't stop her from having multiple affairs. he tried leaving her for years but she would reufse to divorce, saying it was a sin. never mind that fucking around on your husband is a sin too... he finally kicked her out. their kids are ok but somewhat fucked up, probably as a result of growing up with two parents who hated each other, moreso than the crazy opus shit.
    there's also a whole branch on my mother's side (my grandfather's brother's family) who are all opus. 8 kids. 2 escaped the cult, 3 are druggies, including one who dropped acid in the 70s and it triggered a psychotic break and now he's schizophrenic and fucked up and lives with his parents and will sometimes stop taking his meds, disappear for months then come back smelling like death. the other 2 druggies kind of alternate between unhealthy junkie relationships and stints in rehab. the other 3 are firmly culty and all had a million kids as well. i can't tell any of them apart.

and some friends too, including a university friend of my mom and uncle's (they're twins), who's chilean. my mom got in touch with him when i moved to chile and i met him and his wife and their 9 kids. they're incredibly wealthy and open minded despite being opus dei. very artistic too, which sort of surprised me. one of the daughters is an architect and designed their parents' huge country house that's in the middle of the vineyards. they have an incredible contempary art collection. they're opus but don't push it on others. they are pretty hands off with their kids though and even explained it to me once that they think kids should be raised with a lot of autonomy. they seem like a very close knit, happy family.
    Last edited by sputnik; September 14th, 2015 at 12:38 PM.
    Novice likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

wow, that's a bunch.

i don't know any. none of my friends IRL even mention that they know any.

there's more but these are the ones i've been in closest proximity to.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

wow, that's a bunch.

i don't know any. none of my friends IRL even mention that they know any.
    Just doing the numbers - there are 1.25 billion Catholics worldwide, and 93,000 Opus Dei members. So, Opus Dei represents about .0074% of the Catholic Church members. The odds of knowing one would be really, really low - unless you are Sputnik, who gets around. In all the good ways.
    mostroop and sputnik like this.

czb

so do you ask people if they are opus dei? is it something that would offend the 'average' catholic?

i rarely talk about religion or politics with people socially. don't want to get kicked at a cocktail party.

I didn't know Opus Dei was real. I thought it was like the Illuminati or something.
    Beeyotch likes this.

I knew that these Kennedy kids were neglected. Did not know that Ethel was racist as her husband did not appear to be. It must have been awful knowing that he was (allegedly) having an affair with Jackie (and allegedly many others too including MM.) Jackie only had 2 surviving kids and Ethel had 11. That's a big difference in terms of parenting. Maybe she had no choice about having so many kids and was chronically depressed under the circumstances. Also Jackie was hugely extravagent as were allegedly the other Kennedy wives, including Rose. It was payback for all the misery they endured. I've no doubt that she was horrible but her life sounded like hell.
    BITTER likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    I didn't know Opus Dei was real. I thought it was like the Illuminati or something.
    Dan Brown made Opus Dei sound 10 times more interesting than it actually is by making up a lot of stuff.

Speaking of not bringing up religion - we have Iranian next-door neighbors. I'm pretty sure the husband and his family came here when the Shah was toppled. The wife and daughters wear modern clothes (shorts and short-sleeved shirts) and hairstyles. They love wine and distilled spirits. They also have a very tight-knit group of Iranian friends that they entertain at their house every month or two. I have been dying to ask them what religion they are (Zoroastrian?) because they seem pretty freewheeling for muslims.

^That's all the Iranians I've ever known. Zoroastrian is probably right.
    Novice likes this.

czb

how do you know they are muslim?

i know a bunch of persians who are jewish ....
    Novice and Belt Up like this.

so do you ask people if they are opus dei? is it something that would offend the 'average' catholic?

i rarely talk about religion or politics with people socially. don't want to get kicked at a cocktail party.
    i never had to ask, i just knew from my mother or other people that so-and-so were opus dei.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Just doing the numbers - there are 1.25 billion Catholics worldwide, and 93,000 Opus Dei members. So, Opus Dei represents about .0074% of the Catholic Church members. The odds of knowing one would be really, really low - unless you are Sputnik, who gets around. In all the good ways.
    there are a lot of them in spain and latin america, especially chile. i have family there and have lived in latin america so that narrows the odds i guess. i've never met any american opus dei members.

oh, i have another opus story. my mom's best friend's aunt and uncle are opus dei. my mom's best friend is anything but - she's an atheist and an artist and is very eccentric. anyway, her aunt and uncle come over one day because the uncle and my dad were sort of in the same business. my mom caught them crossing themselves and muttering because of all the naked people in paintings and photographs that my mother had around the house. including one giant painting of a naked woman spreadeagled with her pussy hanging out which was painted by none other than my mom's best friend and these stuffy opus people's niece. my mom took great pride in telling them this and raving about how talented a painter she is. they had to remain polite but you know they had to go to confession and probably did a little self-flagellating when they got home.

also, their daughter was a 40 year-old virgin. literally. she was a numerary or super-numerary or whatever they call them. lived in an opus building with a curfew and gender-segregated entrances in the same city my parents were living in at the time. and she was waiting for just the right 40 year-old virgin to court her and propose. my mother once told her that she wanted to set her up with a divorced man she knew who was around her age. she did this trying to be helpful because she had told my mother how much she wanted to get married and have children. bitch got offended because how dare my mother suggest that she should date a dirty, sinful divorcÚ.
    she finally did find her perfect 45 year-old opus dei loser. gay as a picnic basket but also deeply closeted and she's too naive to even know what gaydar is.

how do you know they are muslim?

i know a bunch of persians who are jewish ....
    I think I was just playing the percentages. He was an officer in the Shah's military, so he pretty much had to get out of there once the Shah was gone. Not because he was a member of SAVAK or anything.

During the Iranian hostage crisis, we had about 10 Persian/Iranian students in my Catholic high school. However, you didn't have to be Catholic to go to our high school - just take some type of religion class every semester.

My brother had a gorgeous Persian classmate. Her first name was Mary, so I think it would be a good guess that she was Catholic.

I did meet a Persian-Jewish person in college, and ironically, he was President of the Jewish Student Union. Haven't run into any since, though.

ETA - I think I love Sputnik's mom's best friend.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information