Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: New biography details David Bowie's versatile sex life and wild orgies

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I was partial to "Fame" and "Let's Dance". Both songs had R&B/dance leanings; the former had vocal input by Luther Vandross and got heavy airplay on black radio stations. But other than that and the fact that the gorgeous Iman landed him, meh.
    I liked "Modern Love", "Young Americans", and "The Man Who Sold the World".

I also love the duet with Freddy Mercury, "Under Pressure" - "It's the terror of knowing what this world is about, it's watching some good friend scream, 'Let me out!!!'"

Speaking of duets....

These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Under Pressure has one of the best beats in modern music. That song is on my top 25 songs of all-time, for certain.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I love Space Odyssey.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I love whole albums like Young Americans and Station to Station.
    chartreuse, czb and Sylkyn like this.

True, rollo. Bowie is one of those musicians who is a master of the album. It seems that the album is relegated to being an indie art anymore. People buy music by the track now and putting a lot of time and work into long albums isn't so lucrative for big labels in this market.
    sputnik, KrisNine and Callalily like this.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

^ I agree he used to be master of the album but I'm not so sure about now....

i grew up on his music. my mom really liked him. i liked the early eighties stuff, he looks nice in the vids with the blonde curls and yellow suits. i also like his industrial shit, he looks even cooler there. mid nineties, w/trent reznor.

Diamond Dogs, Young Americans, Rock n roll suicide, Starman, Suffragette City, Aladdin Sane, etc. I could go on and on. He's my all time favorite.
    sputnik, MohandasKGanja and Sylkyn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Diamond Dogs, Young Americans, Rock n roll suicide, Starman, Suffragette City, Aladdin Sane, etc. I could go on and on. He's my all time favorite.
    I was just going through a bunch of Bowie songs on YouTube and I think he is a certified genius - and a seminal influence for progressive rockers. Love Suffragette City, and All the Young Dudes.

Here's one probably hardly anyone here ever heard of - "Pretty Pink Rose", with Adrian "King Crimson" Belew. When Mrs. Mohandas and I were dating, we were members of this gym in the middle of an old industrial park, and this song came on ALL THE DAMN TIME when we worked out. It grew on me, and really reminds me of some fun times:

KrisNine, Annika, rollo and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
    True, rollo. Bowie is one of those musicians who is a master of the album. It seems that the album is relegated to being an indie art anymore. People buy music by the track now and putting a lot of time and work into long albums isn't so lucrative for big labels in this market.
    i'm still an album snob and i still only listen to musicians who can put out decent albums, not just songs.

re:bowie. his latest album's not bad, but still nowhere near his older stuff. and i just pretend anything he made in the 90s and up to 2013 doesn't exist. but hey, he's 68, he had a pretty great run, and made more amazing albums than most and i can't really think of anyone his age and with his career who has been consistently amazing and didn't have a crappy decade or two when they got old and jaded.
    KrisNine, rollo, Belt Up and 1 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    i also like his industrial shit, he looks even cooler there. mid nineties, w/trent reznor.
    YES! Just reminded me of the I'm afraid of Americans video:

Dude can sure rock a yellow turtleneck. HOT!!
    Last edited by spinmonkey; September 17th, 2014 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Liked old teeth better LOL
    gas_chick, Annika and rollo like this.
    Drive-by poster

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I was just going through a bunch of Bowie songs on YouTube and I think he is a certified genius - and a seminal influence for progressive rockers. Love Suffragette City, and All the Young Dudes.

Here's one probably hardly anyone here ever heard of - "Pretty Pink Rose", with Adrian "King Crimson" Belew. When Mrs. Mohandas and I were dating, we were members of this gym in the middle of an old industrial park, and this song came on ALL THE DAMN TIME when we worked out. It grew on me, and really reminds me of some fun times:

That's awesome. I agree, he's a musical genius. I was listening to him talk a few years ago and he was mentioning how Pink Floyd, with Syd Barrett, was really influential to him in the mid-60's. I would have never thought that, listening to later Pink Floyd.

You'll appreciate this. I went to see him live, at Merriweather Post. I had row J, which was basically the 10th row. They had a noise ordinance back then and the performers had to stop at ten. He knew this and mentioned it, but said he was going to have the break the rules that night. It was amazing. I think it was 89 or something and he did all of his old stuff, because he knew that's what most of us were there for.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    That's awesome. I agree, he's a musical genius. I was listening to him talk a few years ago and he was mentioning how Pink Floyd, with Syd Barrett, was really influential to him in the mid-60's. I would have never thought that, listening to later Pink Floyd.

You'll appreciate this. I went to see him live, at Merriweather Post. I had row J, which was basically the 10th row. They had a noise ordinance back then and the performers had to stop at ten. He knew this and mentioned it, but said he was going to have the break the rules that night. It was amazing. I think it was 89 or something and he did all of his old stuff, because he knew that's what most of us were there for.
    I think that was the year that Mrs. Mohandas went to Merriwether to see Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and Melissa Etheridge, who was still kind of unknown, was opening for them. She fell in love with the song "Like the Way I Do" and introduced me to it. God, that is a great song!
    BrickHouse and Bombshell like this.

Merriweather always had such great acts. I saw Madonna and her opening act was the Beastie Boys. She had a hard time living up to them. I also saw Public Image Ltd, Eurythmics, Echo and the Bunnymen, he B-52's, New Order, Depeche Mode, Nik Kershaw (no one knows him), Elvis Costello, Aztec Camera, too many to list. I loved that area because we got really good shows. 9:30 club was also awesome.
    holly likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information