Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Natalie Portman says Tobey Maguire made her a vegan

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    I thought it said Tobey Maguire made her a virgin. Seeing him naked might have that effect...
    omg, i almost choked on my meal reading that.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    First off ... a strict vegetarian doesn't eat eggs and dairy products. A strict vegetarian is someone who eats a vegan diet, but doesn't necessarily adhere to a vegan philosophy. Otherwise, she was simply a vegetarian.

Dairy cows and mass-produced poultry and laying hens, in North America at least, are the products of factory farms, which as I've mentioned in other threads are agri-businesses whose bottom line is to produce the greatest profit as cheaply as possible. There are few government regulations regarding the welfare of the animals or for the people who work there. Conditions are often horrendous.
    Your right. She was a normal vegetarian. Stict vegetarians are indeed strict about diet...but might wear leather or use normal shampoos/soaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Vegans correct me if I'm wrong but I think the animal discomfort related to eggs and milk come from all the hormones that the animals are pumped with to maximize their egg/milk production. To that end, I think it may actually behoove humans somewhat to avoid all those hormones that end up in the milk and eggs too.

But I still can't imagine giving up dairy and baked goods! And no way am I going to make sure everything is I put in my mouth is egg- and milk-free! That's way too much good food to avoid.
    They are horrendous. Mass-produced. Chickens live crammed into little cages- some lose mobility and their claws seize up. Cows live their entire lives in crates the size of their bodies...so they can't even turn around, and are ruthlessly pumped all day long. Poor things.

You know, you CAN buy free range chicken eggs. They sell them at the grocery store.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Not at my grocery store, they don't. But I don't eat eggs, so that isn't a problem for me.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    You know, you CAN buy free range chicken eggs. They sell them at the grocery store.
    So true. All people need to do is educate themselves, read some labels and do a little research.
    You do have to watch out for the sneaky ones (Whole Foods is pretty good about doing the homework for the consumer but...) like Horizon Dairy; they totally got busted for using "factory farming" methods to produce their organic dairy and they started a massive PR campaign stating how much of their product comes from smaller farms that treat animals humanely blah blah blah I don't trust them.

This is interesting. Yes, I realize it's Wikipedia, but I've heard this before from other sources ...

The U.S. Department of Agriculture requires that chickens raised for their meat have access to the outdoors in order to receive the free-range certification. Free-range chicken eggs, however, have no legal definition in the United States. Likewise, free-range egg producers have no common standard on what the term means. Many egg farmers sell their eggs as free range merely because their cages are 2 or 3 inches above average size, or there is a window in the shed.

Free range - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^^exactly!

yeah, that's the US. Im in Canada
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^ Canadians can lie just as well as Americans If not better, cuz nobody suspects it!

Yeah. I'm Canadian, eh. I lie all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    Annoying bint, she makes me wana eat meat and I'm a veggie
    *same think*
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Silver Member

Vegans correct me if I'm wrong but I think the animal discomfort related to eggs and milk come from all the hormones that the animals are pumped with to maximize their egg/milk production.
    Regarding the cow: In order for her to lactate, she must be impregnated and her baby is snatched away from her immediately, and she will be impregnated again as soon as it's feasible.

What do you think happens to her baby? It becomes veal. That's a whole other horror story.

Her natural lifespan is 15-25 years, but her productivity wanes at 5, at which point she gets slaughtered. It does involve killing. This is what happens when there is a profit motive.

The environmental concerns are another issue. The world was not made to support 1.5 billion cows along with their need to eat, defecate, urinate, and fart. The water supply is dwindling as it becomes more contaminated with each passing day. According to WHO, livestock is the number one contribution to global warming, far surpassing the transportation sector.

None of us needs it. It's just a habit. And for some bizarre reason, some people go ballistic when their food choices are questioned. I think it's guilt. I used to make fun of my vegetarian sister. But I became vegan eventually.

lavi:

Hilarious!
    Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History~

Quote Originally Posted by lavi View Post
    Funny there is no mention of the amount of animal discomfort Tobey Maguire's horrible acting brings.
    Tobey is a great actor. Although the only movies I've seen him in was Spider-Man, based on that alone he is an exceptional actor. He really reminds me of Christopher Daniel Barnes (who did the voice of Peter Parker from the 90s animated FOX Kids Spider-Man television show). I'm not sure if he watched the show at all in preparation for the part.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Oh screw Tobey and screw being vegan; Natalie Portman is getting overly exposed lately... I liked it better when I didn't have to hear about her. I will never forgive her existence for that atrocity of film called V Vendetta... I swear my friend and I walked out of it after watching her cry in the rain with her bald head.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information