Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Natalie Portman bests Keira Knightley & Lindsay Lohan for Wuthering Heights role

Hit By Ban Bus!

shoulda gone with Sophia Myles.

Last edited by snuffy; April 20th, 2008 at 02:58 PM.

^^
    Good choice, or Rosamund Pike.

OT:
    Bychance,
    Depp has played some none eccentric role like Gilbert in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?", Spencer in "The Astronaut's Wife", Rafael in "The Brave", Dean in "The Ninth Gate", Joseph in "Donnie Brasco", etc. If you only watch his most popular movies, it does seem as if he doesn't do any "normal" characters. I also think that even if the chatacter doesn't start out eccentric in the script, like Capt. Jack Sparrow, he just makes them that way. Which probably stems from his struggle to not be type cast as the "hot guy" or "pretty boy" mold like when he was on "21 Jumpstreet" and was turned into a teen idol.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    Agreed.

Totally agree with you on Denzel. His films are starting to be almost indistinguishable now.

So even if you avoid tabloid rags, you can still get typecasted or 'overused'. For example, I know a lot of people would be hoping that Johnny Depp would play The Joker. As much as I like him, thats too much an obvious choice you know? Thats why I like Nolan's chose Heath Ledger. I remember when everyone's reaction when it was denounced as a rumor and it was confirmed. All the Batman fanboys were going insane. What an 180 once the HD trailer came out I like the characters Johnny plays, he has a hell of a resume, but wouldn't it be nice - just once - to play a particularly non eccentric role? I don't mean dull and atypical, but something less subdued?
    Stars like Denzel do it to themselves. Like I said, they coast along on their persona becuase it's easy dough, I guess, and they don't have to do the hard work of creating a character. There's more to acting than competantly delivering lines.

I'd like to see Johnny in a straight up romantic lead for once. Not a chick flick, heaven forbid, just something in which he has a romantic/sexual storyline with a suitably hot, talented co-star.

I for one was ecstatic when they announced Heath as The Joker, and I went over the moon when the first pictures came out. I thought, dang, this is serious it's going to more than a cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    I'd like to see Johnny in a straight up romantic lead for once. Not a chick flick, heaven forbid, just something in which he has a romantic/sexual storyline with a suitably hot, talented co-star.
    I think what he did in "Don Juan de Marco", "The Man Who Cried", and "Chocolat" are as close as we'll ever see him do something like you said. Though it would be a great idea.

I think most major Hollywood movie star starts doing the whole "coasting on their persona " after a while. I know that Julia Roberts, George Clooney, Sienna Miller (not a major star, but still guilty), and Tom Cruise all did/do this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by tragicallyflawed View Post
    I think what he did in "Don Juan de Marco", "The Man Who Cried", and "Chocolat" are as close as we'll ever see him do something like you said. Though it would be a great idea.

I think most major Hollywood movie star starts doing the whole "coasting on their persona " after a while. I know that Julia Roberts, George Clooney, Sienna Miller (not a major star, but still guilty), and Tom Cruise all did/do this.
    I'm thinking of something like "Body Heat" for Johnny, God Bless America.

And Julia is the worst offender with her "America's Sweetheart" type bullcrap. She's too old for it anymore, move on for cripes sake.

Wuthering Heights is one of my favourite novels ... tell me Lindsay as Cathie was a joke ... no one could possibly have suggested that seriously ????

As for Miss Portman ... I still think she can't act, she's got a terrible accent, and she's just too booooooooring to be Cathie.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

I need to Netflix more of Johnny's movies

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Stars like Denzel do it to themselves. Like I said, they coast along on their persona becuase it's easy dough, I guess, and they don't have to do the hard work of creating a character. There's more to acting than competantly delivering lines.

I for one was ecstatic when they announced Heath as The Joker, and I went over the moon when the first pictures came out. I thought, dang, this is serious it's going to more than a cartoon.
    Preferably me.

They should have never messed with the first. The second was a pathetic attempt.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

Elite Member

Natalie Portman is over-rated. She's not terrible by any means, but her fame has definitely outgrown her talent.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information