Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Natalie Portman bests Keira Knightley & Lindsay Lohan for Wuthering Heights role

^^
    Okay so she's not Streep, but she's usually good with characters that have her personality like in "Girl, Interrupted". So, since Cathy is pretty self-destructive and wild, like Jolie used to be, it just might work.

Quote Originally Posted by tragicallyflawed View Post
    Vivenne Leigh was English and she played Scarlett, who is the definition of a true Southern Belle. As well as Leslie Howard, who played Ashely Wilkes. Also, Nicole Kidman and Jude Law are not American but played the leads in Cold Mountain. Why can't American have a go at playing other countries favorite characters?

Also, I like the idea of Angelina being Cathy because of her personality, or at least her old one, but I don't know if she can handle the accent.
    OK, can I just say that, on behalf of my country, I'd like to apologise to the entire North American continent for Leslie Howard as Ashley Wilkes. As for Vivien Leigh, here's the difference - the studio trawled the whole of the US looking for Scarlett and couldn't find one, so even though I'd have quite liked to have seen Bette Davies in the part (hairtoss, preen, flounce), I think Viv did a bang-up job. However (hands on hips) that doesn't make it right to Make. Cathy. American. No, no, no.

Having said that, if you'd like to loan us Angelina long enough for her to adopt our entire island, we may be able to come to an arrangement. After all, she can act and she is/was definitely wild, so maybe..... On the other hand, I'm still open to Rose Byrne, if she can act. Anyone know?

As for Jude Law, I'd accept him as Edward Lynton (or even Ashley Wilkes), but Heathcliff? Are you kidding me? Puh-leaze. And Javier Bardem is rejected because of his accent. So far I still prefer Colin - and I'm not even a Farrell fan. This is going to give me a headache all day....
    A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.(Lana Turner)

Elite Member

Sorry, I sort of see Cathy as a redhead. Not Lohan, though.

A redhead?!? OK, the first person that suggests Heather Mills gets ceremonially tossed off the white cliffs of Dover.
    A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.(Lana Turner)

Quote Originally Posted by penname View Post
    OK, can I just say that, on behalf of my country, I'd like to apologise to the entire North American continent for Leslie Howard as Ashley Wilkes.

As for Jude Law, I'd accept him as Edward Lynton (or even Ashley Wilkes), but Heathcliff? Are you kidding me? Puh-leaze. And Javier Bardem is rejected because of his accent. So far I still prefer Colin - and I'm not even a Farrell fan. This is going to give me a headache all day....

You're right, Jude would suck at playing Heathcliff; he's way to wimpy looking.
    I think it would be interesting to see what Johnny Depp would bring to Heathcliff's character. He does like those missunderstood outcasts. Plus, he did a great job as John Wilmot, the Earl of Rochester who was a pretty intense and dark person in "The Libertine".

Also, I like the idea of Cathy being a redhead especially since traditionally they are said to be wild and passionate.

Natalie Dormer from The Tudors. She's a better actress than Angelina so my vote's for her.

Still thinking on Heathcliff. I love JRM but he's too much of a pansy boy for the savage Heathcliff.

Elite Member

So how about Kate Winslet as Cathy? She can do passionate with ease, she's British and an excellent actress. She also looks great as a redhead, for what it's worth.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I thought of Kate too but I don't think she can pull it off. She doesn't have the evil side to her personality.

Vivien Leigh should have played Cathy and Sir Lawrence O wanted her to. I don't care where Vivianne came from, she was a perfect Scarlett. Leslie Howard was a perfect momma's sissy boy Ashley Wilks.

Dudettes Law was a great Inman, all brooding. Joaquin Phoenix is a fat blob "well Peach that wasn't nice" OK he seems to have some sort of problem that makes him bloat, his eyes run too.

No if your going to be picky and really want a A lister like Sir Lawrence then it's Russell Crowe. No one broods like Russell. So it will have to be Russell and Angelina Jolie because the other chick is to young.

I like Clive Owen for Heathcliff.....

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Silver Member

Wow I wonder how many times are they going to remake this film. I remember the one with Ralph Feinnes. He was a playing a mean Heathcliff in that one. *lol*

Much as I like Kate Winslet, I think she's too refined for Cathy. Much as it pains me to say it, I prefer AJ.

Johnny Depp - interesting. But if Helena Bonham-Carter is too old, then he must be too old too. Otherwise, nice pairing! Not sure how I feel about Depp and Jolie in harness though. *sings* "There may be trouble a-head....."

Clive Owen though... hmm. The right look, right accent, good at playing 'a bit of rough' - but there's that age problem again.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Oh hell yes, Kate Winslet is perfect! You have to remember Cathy is refined, she's upper crust!

Javier, Johnny Depp, and as much as it pains me, Russell Crowe are all too old for the part. Russell, back in his LA Confidential Days would have been great, but Johnny has the perfect look-too bad this wasn't done 10 years ago.

Javier would be great for this role.

But it is very, very, very hard for a Spanish to ever lose the accent, trust me. If not impossible. He is good at reinventing himself though, but so is Phoenix. When he is on, damnit, the guy is nothing but amazing.

And why isn't Emily Blunt doing this one? Given an opportunity I am pretty sure she would do great.

I am sick of the same ol', same ol'. Always the same girls getting the best parts in Lollywood.
    Keira, Natalie & Scarlett ...blah. Quite annoying, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle View Post
    And why isn't Emily Blunt doing this one? Given an opportunity I am pretty sure she would do great.

I am sick of the same ol', same ol'. Always the same girls getting the best parts in Lollywood.
    Keira, Natalie & Scarlett ...blah. Quite annoying, really.
    Good call on Emily Blunt!

I'd love to see Mr Farrell brooding on the Moors.....or anywhere really for that matter
    Last edited by Belt Up; April 12th, 2008 at 10:25 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information