Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Natalie Cole: Amy Winehouse's Grammy wins send a 'bad message'

I don't agree with what Natalie Cole said. But I don't think it proves that she is "old, bitter, a has been, a drug addict, a bitch" etc. Natalie would hardly be the first child of a famous parent to launch a career -- she can't help who her parents are. I think she has talent, but it's a very different kind than Amy's. And she needs to remember her own long struggle with addiction before judging anyone else.

The music world is big enough for both of them, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by maxeythecat View Post
    When I refer to Boy bands, I'm talking about the MANUFACTURED ones...the New Kids on the Block, Take That, N'Sync and all the other ones that were slapped together by some pathetic overweight pedophile hustler looking for a quick buck on the backs of a bunch of naive, marginally talented teenyboppers working for slave wages. The Beatles were NOT a manufactured band my darling...they not only got together on their own, they booked their own gigs (in the earliest days, that is), they wrote their own songs, played and sang LIVE and played their own instruments without an entire warehouse of help...in short, they actually CREATED something without any cheats and bullshit....please tell me which member of New Edition or Backstreet Boys can claim that? As for Beyonce, I'm glad to hear she can actually sing, but I'm sorry...I find the songwriting claim a bit dubious at best. I did a quick looksie round the 'net and needless to say for someone who claims to write her own stuff, she's got an awful lot of co-writers....warning sign right there.
    Um, when I mentioned the Beatles I wasn't saying they were manufactured..

And Beyonce won an ASCAP Song Writer of the Year award

Quote Originally Posted by MissVenus View Post
    Um, do we really want to get into a comparative analysis of Back to Black with Bootylicious?
    No, we don't, because I never said her song writing quality was up to par. I'm saying she DOES write her own songs, point blank; while the person I quoted said otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    Um, when I mentioned the Beatles I wasn't saying they were manufactured..

And Beyonce won an ASCAP Song Writer of the Year award
    Even though she didn't really write anything. Adding some uh oh, uh oh, uh oh doesn't make you a songwriter.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    who cares?

the grammy's have proved over and over again that they are totally irrelevant anyway

Word. Toto or milli vanilli anyone?

Milli Vanilla returned their Grammys

I actually agree with her.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Urgh, I knew someone, somewhere, at sometime would try to make the point that giving Amy Winehouse awards 'semds the wrong message'. All I can say is that awards should be based on merit, not lifestyle and if anyone merited awards for thier work, it's Amy Winehouse. Back to Black is a fantastic album beautifully sung and will stand the test of time. Natalie should shut the fuck up and remember that she got a Grammy for riding on her father's coat tails. That album blew.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

i thought the grammy's were for music and not for sobriety/lifestyle.

^^Exactly. What a load of crap that her lifestyle shoudl somehow affect whether or not she got the awards. Give me a break.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    And yes, Beyonce WRITES ALL OF HER MUSIC.
    too bad it sucks
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

God help us if she runs for President!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    i was ready to go to bed when i saw this. i wish i had more time, but she's been 'caught' not writing some of her songs. here's a link. there's more, i'll look again tomorrow. FOXNews.com - Beyonce Takes Credit for 'Writing' Songs - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment
    also there are a ton of stories out there that tell about her lip synching. good nite, i'm so tired!
    Thank YOU!! Beyonce can barely write her fucking name.
    Quote Originally Posted by MissVenus View Post
    Um, do we really want to get into a comparative analysis of Back to Black with Bootylicious?
    Yes ... I'd lurve to see that!
    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Even though she didn't really write anything. Adding some uh oh, uh oh, uh oh doesn't make you a songwriter.
    *sniggers*
    Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Urgh, I knew someone, somewhere, at sometime would try to make the point that giving Amy Winehouse awards 'semds the wrong message'. All I can say is that awards should be based on merit, not lifestyle and if anyone merited awards for thier work, it's Amy Winehouse. Back to Black is a fantastic album beautifully sung and will stand the test of time. Natalie should shut the fuck up and remember that she got a Grammy for riding on her father's coat tails. That album blew.
    mmmmmhmmm more talent escapes Amy Winehouse's ass when she farts than beonstage or rhianna will EVER have in their bodies .. even when they have the 4 inches of jayz crammed in them..
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Dear Natalie Cole,
    Sit down and shut the fuck up. That is all.
    Thank you.

I hate self righteous-people.

Here's more from the NY Daily News:

Sunday night's Grammy Awards were diverting, but the truly great performances were at the parties.

Natalie Cole gets our nomination for best spoken-word dis of another artist. The former Grammy winner dared to tell a reporter what a lot of people were thinking about Amy Winehouse's quintuplet of trophies.

"I don't think she deserved it," said Cole, who also has battled drugs and booze. "I think she needs to get her life together first, and then get the awards later." Cole said Winehouse was talented but "crazy."

Ringo Starr, who overheard Cole, remarked to no one in particular: "Man, those are some grapes."

Winehouse had other defenders. Her drug problems "are her personal life," Nelly told us at the party Universal Music chief Doug Morris threw at The Palm. "You can't hate a person for their personal life." David Spade, for one, was less excited by Winehouse's Grammy gold than "that she got a new tooth. [That old gap] was like the Holland Tunnel. Now it's filled in. That tells me she's getting her act together," he told us at Clive Davis' Grammy dinner at the Hilton, where Alicia Keys performed for the likes of Whitney Houston and Janet Jackson. Bit of whining about Amy Winehouse at Grammy after-parties
    Two things I love about this article: Ringo Starr's reaction and Nelly saying you can't hate someone for thier personal life. He obviously is not privy to the remarks on this board.

--Sinclair Lewis

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information