Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: NASCAR Champion Tony Stewart Hits, Kills Driver During Confrontation on Racetrack

Bronze Member

Is this the same Tony Stewart who threw his helmet at another driver? The same Tony Stewart who was going to anger management classes?

It sounds like this was an accident just waiting to happen.

Bronze Member

Same one. He's been a ticking bomb for years.
    I'm meant to be charming not sincere

So did the girl with the broken back sue him? Why is he still racing? (Probably won't be soon.)

From where I am sitting, Tony may have been a hothead, he may be a complete asshole or jerk, but that kid should have never gotten out of his car to confront a moving, lethal weapon (a high powered, fast moving CAR). The kid was angry that he got run off the track...he probably should have been. But when you pick a fight with a CAR, you are going to lose. I don't think Tony meant to kill him, probably didn't even really mean to hit him, but that kid was rushing the track narrowly escaping being hit by the car in front of Tony and then everyone cries and says that Tony is at fault here. Basically, I don't think Tony's past anger issues has anything to do with this...I think the kid had anger issues and that's why he rushed the track to try and fight with a moving CAR. I actually feel bad for Tony in this situation...he was in a competitive race where accidents happen al the time...cars get bumped, cars slide off the track, cars spin out...it happens. In this case, that happened and he got rushed by what appears to be a hotheaded kid who basically decided to take his own life by jumping in front of not one, but several moving cars. Tony in the meantime hits him and has to live with that all the while being blamed for hitting a kid who ran out in front of him.
    Gossiplover likes this.

It's not 100% either way. That's what the criminal/civil action is for.

There isn't going to be criminal action. The sheriff released a statement earlier today. Here's a safety tip kids- don't run out on to a busy high speed raceway in the dark all dressed in black.........
    gas_chick likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Ah, OK. But there will be a civil action presumably.

This is what happens when your reputation precedes you, though. Stewart has a horrible reputation for his temper, with all kinds of crap playing out there on the track - and half the time he is out of his car when he is pulling his shenanigans. So, not a lot of people are going to be giving him the benefit of the doubt on this.

That being said, it appears that Ward rushes right into a line of traffic - a total suicide move when you consider that the cars were fishtailing OUTWARD, and that is how the Ward's (and Tony's) car ended up at the outside wall in the first place. Stewart's view appears to be blocked by the car ahead of him, making it difficult to believe he could have gunned for Ward, even if he wanted to. After the kid is hit. Stewart immediately appears to be cranking his car to the right. To me, that looks like a correction for fishtailing -- or trying to keep control of the car after it hit Ward.

I'm a Tony fan and I agree he's a hothead but I doubt he'd intentionally hit the driver. It was a dumb thing for the kid to get out on a dark track and all dressed in black.He was young and probably wasn't thinking straight. I think the family will sue Tony and probably get a settlement. This could also be the beginning of the end of Tony's career. In Time he'll speak about the crash and he'll be honest..that's the kind of guy he is.
    As for previous wrecks that Tony has been in. He has caused a few but so have all the others. that's what NASCAR is about. 30-40 cars going around an oval track at high speeds..you're going to get bad wrecks. A lot of the fans love it too.
    This is just a tragedy all round. RIP to the young man who died.

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    Ah, OK. But there will be a civil action presumably.
    Yes, isn't there always? Especially since the guy who hit him is high profile. And they will probably settle to make this go away, Stewart doesn't need any more bad publicity and there's the sympathy factor of course. Always sad when someone dies so young and so needlessly. But in reality, we're talking about a 20 year old kid, presumably unmarried with no dependents, so it's not a high value case, with some good legal arguments...assumption of risk, comparative negligence etc. (speaking as a non-lawyer...)
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    comparative negligence etc. (speaking as a non-lawyer...)
    I think it would be contributory negligence. So, if Ward were 50% at fault for being dumb enough to walk out toward Stewarts' lane, and Stewart were 50% at fault for gunning his car right when he gets to Ward, then, Stewart is going to have a bad day in civil court.

DeadSpin/Jalopnik has much clearer video than I've seen before, and it doesn't look good for Stewart. Also, has anybody confirmed whether it's true that there was a GoPro cam in Stewart's car?

I watched the dreadful contact sequence of the video dozens of times, and simply can not see where Tony Stewart is at fault. The blip of a throttle (which is heard before the deadly impact), is inconsistent with the movement and position of Stewart's car. If anything, it appears Stewart's attempt to miss the young man was too little, too late.

There is an obvious, overzealous, suicidal action taken by Kevin Ward Jr. in the video I watched. The kid made a mistake and, sadly, payed the ultimate price.

I watched the dreadful contact sequence of the video dozens of times, and simply can not see where Tony Stewart is at fault. The blip of a throttle (which is heard before the deadly impact), is inconsistent with the movement and position of Stewart's car. If anything, it appears Stewart's attempt to miss the young man was too little, too late.

There was an obvious, overzealous, suicidal action taken by Kevin Ward Jr. in the video I watched. The kid made a mistake and, sadly, payed the ultimate price.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I think it would be contributory negligence. So, if Ward were 50% at fault for being dumb enough to walk out toward Stewarts' lane, and Stewart were 50% at fault for gunning his car right when he gets to Ward, then, Stewart is going to have a bad day in civil court.
    Only a handful of States use contributory negligence to assess liability anymore because any percentage of fault bars recovery. The comparative negligence statutes are the ones that use percentages of fault to determine recoveries. Modified comparative means if you're over 50% at fault you cannot recover anything from the other party. Pure comparative means you can recover the percentage of fault of the other party. Google tells me NY is pure comparative, which means if the plaintiff is say 80% at fault, he can still recover 20% of his damages from the other party. So if there was a million in damages, once they deducted your 80%, you could recover $200k. Percentages would either be negotiated or determined by a judge/jury, so each case would be open to interpretation.

Contributory Negligence vs. Comparative Negligence
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

There's interesting comments at Jalopnik from sprint car drivers and all seem to agree that there's no way Stewart deliberately gunned for the guy based on the video and the way those cars work. Sprint cars are steered via the throttle, not the steering wheel, so the "gunning" people have seized on appears to have been Stewart hitting the throttle in an attemptsto move towards the infield to avoid the crashed car.
    Interesting comments as well about the visibility those cars have on the side and how Ward was not only in a blind spot of Stewart's car, but that his black fire suit and helmet on that particular track (which has bad lighting) would have made him basically invisible to other drivers. Which is why rule #1 is you stay in your car unless you're on fire.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information