Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 'Motherhood has never been my ambition,' says Renee Zellweger

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    ^^ Exactly! For some reason a lot of women just love to hate on each other.
    It's the old "divide and conquer." But we women are sometimes are our own worst enemies when we turn on one another.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by nana51 View Post
    Well, as a mother who set her goals to be a mother I'm pretty insulted that you think it is a "low goal". To be a good mother is anything but easy. I'm glad Renee doesn't want to, we don't need any more woman being mothers who don't want to.

Feel free to have any goals you want, but maybe denigrating the goal of motherhood as "low" is not too smart. Ask your mom.

I think everyone took what i said too literally. I think it is great if you are fulfilled being a mother. If you found love and wanted children and raised them right. I don't think it should be your lifes goal, no offense if it is. I am sure after you have children, raising them becomes your biggest accomplishment and that is only natural but I don't understand young girls who dream of being a mother. It is unhealthy, what if they never find the right man? What if they are infertile? After your kids are raised, what will be your passion? I don't know, I am not saying I will never have kids but I am happy I have other goals and achievements. I am also happy I have had enough personal experiences that I feel fulfilled in life with or without children.

Getting pregnant is a low goal though, it doesn't require much thought or work. I didn't say raising children & being the best parent you can is a low goal, I said reproducing was.

I don't think I am a cold, corporate, barren bitch, I am actually none of those things. I don't think popping out a baby would necessarily turn a person into the opposite of what you described. I know plenty of miserable mothers.

sorry my comment caused such a stir. Just my opinion.

A*O

You are right jive, popping out a baby is easy (TOO easy in some cases), it's raising that child properly to become a worthwhile member of society that's the hard work and that's assuming you have the skills to impart that knowledge in the first place (many don't).

It IS possible to be a liberated woman AND a mother - it's not always an either/or choice. I just feel sorry that some women can only define themselves as a mother first and foremost and who sneer at women who choose not to have children for whatever reason. There is more to being a woman than that.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Her face looks less harsh in these pictures.
    You know she wants on the Clooney.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    It's the old "divide and conquer." But we women are sometimes are our own worst enemies when we turn on one another.
    ITA. We should support each other instead of tear each other down. Life is hard enough.
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Gah, this thread keeps getting bumped up, I keep clicking on it and I'm still aghast at her bloated face every time.

It's a shame, whatever she's doing to herself. Her body is tiny and toned, and this dress looks fantastic on her, but her face is an absolute mess and ruins the whole thing. Bulimia bloats the face like that, doesn't it?

I get the feeling that her Bridget Jones weight gain and loss has something to do with it. I don't know about bulimia with regard to the face. Maybe it's genetic? It is odd though because you'd think she'd lose it in her cheeks as well. Injections? Peels? She did not look like that in Jerry Maguire and she was slender.

Yeah, I get the feeling the Bridget Jones thing led to disordered eating and over-exercising. She's thinner now than in that Jerry Maguire pic above, but her face is twice as bloated. And for some reason her eyes are squintier too. Doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jive View Post
    I think everyone took what i said too literally. I think it is great if you are fulfilled being a mother. If you found love and wanted children and raised them right. I don't think it should be your lifes goal, no offense if it is. I am sure after you have children, raising them becomes your biggest accomplishment and that is only natural but I don't understand young girls who dream of being a mother. It is unhealthy, what if they never find the right man? What if they are infertile? After your kids are raised, what will be your passion? I don't know, I am not saying I will never have kids but I am happy I have other goals and achievements. I am also happy I have had enough personal experiences that I feel fulfilled in life with or without children.

Getting pregnant is a low goal though, it doesn't require much thought or work. I didn't say raising children & being the best parent you can is a low goal, I said reproducing was.

I don't think I am a cold, corporate, barren bitch, I am actually none of those things. I don't think popping out a baby would necessarily turn a person into the opposite of what you described. I know plenty of miserable mothers.

sorry my comment caused such a stir. Just my opinion.
    Thank you for clarifying, Jive.

As for Renee, well I hate to be mean but her puckered mouth has always reminded me of a cat's rear end.

^That's funny, a cat's rear end always reminds me of the shriveled end of a hotdog.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

^^ And oh, how they love to show it off!!

Elite Member

We're so fortunate that we have choices -- kids, no kids, working, staying at home. What we need to do is support each other and our choices and respect the fact that everyone has different needs and goals in their lives. No choice is better than another one. You need to make the choice that is right for you and not judge others' choices.

I find it so sad that women seem to get into such fights over this subject. We should be embracing our choices and be supportive of one another. I have two sisters -- one worked full time with kids, one was a stay at home mom. They have literally spent decades dissing each other's choices. Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I get the feeling that her Bridget Jones weight gain and loss has something to do with it. I don't know about bulimia with regard to the face. Maybe it's genetic? It is odd though because you'd think she'd lose it in her cheeks as well. Injections? Peels? She did not look like that in Jerry Maguire and she was slender.

Wasn't she also in Empire Records? IIRC she was pretty in that. She wasn't as slender in Jerry Maguire as she is now, she had a fuller face then.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    You know she wants on the Clooney.
    Really? ???
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

A few points:

Purple Rain always has something snarky and fundie zealoty whenever a woman expresses a desire not to have children. She always gets her ass handed to her for it,too. I guess it never occured to her that not all women who are career driven are nasty people, nor are they without children because their plumbing doesn't work. Choosing not to have kids is not the same thing as being barren (how archaic).

Contributing to the population is not the same thing as contributing to society.

People are going to have opinions. Period. This whole 'don't judge others' choices' isn't realistic because people will always have opinions about what other people do, no matter what it is. People naturally gravitate towards people who live like they do.

For me, I can see how raising a productive and healthy member of society could be rewarding for some who choose it. I don't see how the act of getting pregnant and birthing a kid can be a lifelong goal in itself. I agree with Jive, that does set the bar pretty low since practically any living organism can do that.

I most admire women who see motherhood as part of their identity (and who take pride in it) but do not see that as the sole reason for their existence or as the sole basis of who they are in this world. Women who are all about being moms and nothing else are boring, even to their kids and husbands.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information