Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Morrissey: Eating meat is the moral equivalent of pedophilia or Nazism

isn't morrrisey really huge in latin america? i think i read that on cracked... let me check.

#3. Morrissey and Latino Teens

Famous for his slow, melancholy songs about how intolerable life is in the English middle class, it's hard to point to music that's more white. He alternates between angst he feels toward the U.K. government and the sadness of staring out rain soaked windows mourning unrequited love. While it's not really classified as a genre, the most apt description I can think of for Morrissey's music is, "Pale."
    Yet somehow in all his lamenting and dramatic gestures of emotion, he has accidentally brushed his fingers across the pulse of Hispanic youth. Latino teens in Southern California, Arizona and New Mexico have slowly become the core fan base of Morrissey over the past 10 years as everyone else stands slack-jawed and baffled.
    "Where the hell do you learn this shit, Sheila?"
    They're not just interested in the catchy melodies of the English pop either, it's the lyrics that turned them all into followers. In fact, it almost feels wrong to call them fans when in actuality they are more like disciples of Morrissey, even dropping flowers and presents on his doorstep in Los Angeles before running away.
    There is a lot of speculation on the roots of this phenomenon, during interviews Morrissey has asked if it's really that strange that teens from all cultures share the same angst about which he sings, to which I answer, "Yes, it is strange. And I think you know that." When you consider that these kids come from predominantly catholic families and belong to a culture in which homosexuality is despised, it's absolutely strange that they would all huddle close to a stage, abandoning their machismo roots momentarily for a chance to touch his hand, his crushed velvet lapel. Clearly his lyrics speak to them, about their own frustrations of feeling detached from their roots and unwelcome in their home but it will always be shocking to see tough Hispanic kids in cuffed pants and Converses echoing choruses about Irish blood and English hearts while weeping uncontrollably.

Read more: The 4 Most Unexpected Fan Bases in Pop Culture | Cracked.com

i think that's super cool!
    MmeVertigina likes this.

^^Oh, the Mexican fan base of Morrissey is strong in LA. There is (or was) a Mexican Smiths/Morrissey cover band called Sweet and Tender Hooligans. The lead singer is referred to as the Mexican Morrissey.
    ManxMouse likes this.

Sparks - Lighten Up, Morrissey - YouTube

I have video insert fail.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    isn't morrrisey really huge in latin america? i think i read that on cracked... let me check.

#3. Morrissey and Latino Teens

Famous for his slow, melancholy songs about how intolerable life is in the English middle class, it's hard to point to music that's more white. He alternates between angst he feels toward the U.K. government and the sadness of staring out rain soaked windows mourning unrequited love. While it's not really classified as a genre, the most apt description I can think of for Morrissey's music is, "Pale."
    Yet somehow in all his lamenting and dramatic gestures of emotion, he has accidentally brushed his fingers across the pulse of Hispanic youth. Latino teens in Southern California, Arizona and New Mexico have slowly become the core fan base of Morrissey over the past 10 years as everyone else stands slack-jawed and baffled.
    "Where the hell do you learn this shit, Sheila?"
    They're not just interested in the catchy melodies of the English pop either, it's the lyrics that turned them all into followers. In fact, it almost feels wrong to call them fans when in actuality they are more like disciples of Morrissey, even dropping flowers and presents on his doorstep in Los Angeles before running away.
    There is a lot of speculation on the roots of this phenomenon, during interviews Morrissey has asked if it's really that strange that teens from all cultures share the same angst about which he sings, to which I answer, "Yes, it is strange. And I think you know that." When you consider that these kids come from predominantly catholic families and belong to a culture in which homosexuality is despised, it's absolutely strange that they would all huddle close to a stage, abandoning their machismo roots momentarily for a chance to touch his hand, his crushed velvet lapel. Clearly his lyrics speak to them, about their own frustrations of feeling detached from their roots and unwelcome in their home but it will always be shocking to see tough Hispanic kids in cuffed pants and Converses echoing choruses about Irish blood and English hearts while weeping uncontrollably.

Read more: The 4 Most Unexpected Fan Bases in Pop Culture | Cracked.com

i think that's super cool!
    The writer has obviously never heard a Morrissey song since he sounds like a tortured cat.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

With a song like this, you can definitely see why there's a Latino teen connection. Great song, and I can't imagine anyone saying his singing voice sounds like a tortured cat.

You have never been in love,
    Until you've seen the stars
    reflect in the resevoirs

And you have never been in love,
    Until you've seen the dawn rise,
    behind the home for the blind

We are the pretty petty thieves,
    And you're standing on our street..

...where Hector was the first of the gang
    with a gun in his hand
    and the first to do time
    the first of the gang to die. Oh my.
    Hector was the first of the gang
    with a gun in his hand
    and the first to do time
    the first of the gang to die. Oh my.

You have never been in love,
    Until you've seen the sunlight thrown
    over smashed human bones

We are the pretty petty thieves,
    And you're standing on our street..

...where Hector was the first of the gang
    with a gun in his hand
    and the first to do time
    the first of the gang to die. Such a silly boy.
    Hector was the first of the gang
    with a gun in his hand
    and a bullet in his gullet
    and the first lost lad to go under the sod.

and he stole from the rich and the poor
    and the not very rich and the very poor,
    and he stole our hearts away...
    Last edited by ManxMouse; January 17th, 2014 at 04:12 PM.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

I love that song.

You say potato, I say tortured cat...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7MN5aJBQVs

Tried to post as vid but this board hates my phone.
    Kittylady likes this.

Oh, Nov!! I love that song, too!

Aw poor Kris!
    I was just thinking between him & New Order..... Well....

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Aw poor Kris!
    I was just thinking between him & New Order..... Well....
    I love New Order, too. Just not as much as the smiths I saw this the other day and it cracked me up.

I would totally wear this shirt. I didn't realize Moz was big with the hipster crowd.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.

Hipsters.... *shudder*

Kris, you would so love the guys I used to write for if you love New Order too! They only approached me because New Order had a female (on keyboards?). I refused to play with them but used to write with their guitarist for them (the other band, not New Order, obviously), for the guitarist as solo and he went in to play with another band where they collaborated as a group so we worked together & some of that ended up in their songs.
    Funny story, I was dating the guitarist of this last band & he had no clue about what was going on til he saw one of my books lying around & wanted to know why I had Joff's stuff in my book. When I explains that we wrote together & I ended up doing stuff with them too. Their lyricist was just one guy & didn't require any collaboration, so it was musical only, which as (what I considered myself to be) a lyricist was interesting. I didn't really realise up to that point how ingrained music was in me, and I brought a classical understanding to the writing which helped them.
    I've not seen them in years, it'd be nice to know what they are doing now.

Hipsters.... *shudder*

Kris, you would so love the guys I used to write for if you love New Order too! They only approached me because New Order had a female (on keyboards?). I refused to play with them but used to write with their guitarist for them (the other band, not New Order, obviously), for the guitarist as solo and he went in to play with another band where they collaborated as a group so we worked together & some of that ended up in their songs.
    Funny story, I was dating the guitarist of this last band & he had no clue about what was going on til he saw one of my books lying around & wanted to know why I had Joff's stuff in my book. When I explains that we wrote together & I ended up doing stuff with them too. Their lyricist was just one guy & didn't require any collaboration, so it was musical only, which as (what I considered myself to be) a lyricist was interesting. I didn't really realise up to that point how ingrained music was in me, and I brought a classical understanding to the writing which helped them.
    I've not seen them in years, it'd be nice to know what they are doing now.
    Wow, Nov. I had no idea you write. That's so cool. I would have loved to have done something like that. I love music, but I'm not musically gifted at all. You're so lucky and sounds like you must have had a lot of fun.

Hahaha! Yeah, serious fun! I'm a classically trained pianist & my teacher wanted me to go pro but I just didn't have the balls (confidence) for it. I still play when I find a piano & about 10 yrs ago was dating a pianist who was encouraging me to perform publicly but I really struggle with it. I've had recording engineers speak up for me when I was working for another band in the studio because I was just messing around playing along & when they wanted me to lay down my track it was all single note stuff & he'd seen my playing (with 10 fingers & a foot!) & humming along in harmony (I'm an alto, the singer was a sop). But the band chose not to go with that.... It was their call, I was just doing them a favour. *shrug*

I do miss it through & I'm thinking of actually having singing lessons.

What a cool story, Novice!!

You say potato, I say tortured cat...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7MN5aJBQVs

Tried to post as vid but this board hates my phone.
    I love that song too. Stoned cat, kind of. Le meow, le meow. Great video! I loved the Smiths in high school, which was exactly then. Good times...man, he was skinny and cute then. Love the hair and glasses.
    Novice likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Haha! Thanks Kathy!

Kris - I was gonna come back & say that I started piano lesson at about 5, and I never remember not reading (english) or reading music as well (I actually remember the day I learnt to read but not music), so if you are planning music lessons for your daughter I really recommend the "once she has learnt to read" route. If that helps?
    KrisNine likes this.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information