Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 93
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Morrissey: Eating meat is the moral equivalent of pedophilia or Nazism

  1. #61
    Elite Member Novice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beyond Caring, then hang a left.
    Posts
    47,624

    Default

    Thanks, I see him everywhere & couldn't work it out... For some reason I think I thought he was Jimmy Buffet but only because I liked the name.
    Air Quotes likes this.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

  2. #62
    Silver Member Quat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    541

    Default

    He's The Most Interesting Man in the World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The precise settings are never revealed, but he performs feats such as: freeing an angry bear from a painful-looking bear trap; shooting a pool trick shot before an Indian audience (by shooting the cue ball out of the mouth of a man lying on the pool table); catching a marlin while cavorting in a Hemingway-esque scene with a beautiful, young woman; winning an arm-wrestling match in a South American setting; surfing the killer wave; and bench pressing two young East Asian women in a casino setting, each woman being seated in a chair. The voiceovers themselves are intended to be both humorous and outrageous ("if he were to punch you in the face, you would have to fight off the strong urge to thank him"; "he can speak French, in Russian"; "he once parallel-parked a train"; "his two cents is worth $37 and change"; "even his enemies list him as their emergency contact").
    At the end of the advertisement, the interesting man, usually shown sitting in a night club or other social setting surrounded by several young women, says, "I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis." Each commercial ends with him stating the signature sign-off: "Stay thirsty, my friends."[5]
    Novice likes this.




  3. #63
    Elite Member whitetigeress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West coast of Canada, eh
    Posts
    2,951

    Default

    *reads title* ....I think I shall have roast beef tonight and call up one of my young boytoys.

    Bringing up Gwar reminds me of the time I had sex this a guy who is, not was, but still is a HUGE fan of theirs. It was one of the best sex I ever had!
    'nuff said.
    Novice likes this.

  4. #64
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    33,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Imagine, for example, if you were in a nightclub and someone said to you ‘Hello, I enjoy bloodshed, throat-slitting and the destruction of life,’

    I'd ask them what their GR user name was.

    “If you believe in the abattoir then you would support Auschwitz,” he writes.


    Adolph Hitler was a vegetarian towards the end of his life.
    Bringing this back to the original statement by Morrissey, he does sound especially idiotic when he tries to take the moral high ground and compare meat eaters to a guy who actually avoided meat (Hitler). I used to think the Hitler-as-vegetarian thing was apocryphal, but if you go to the wiki entry dedicated to this topic (Adolf Hitler and vegetarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) , it's pretty extensively documented. Even Hitler's food taster testified to this. Especially ironic was that Hitler apparently became a vegetarian during the height of his inhumanity to man.

  5. #65
    Elite Member ManxMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lemuria
    Posts
    7,796

    Default

    I honestly don't see a hypocrisy issue with Hitler being a vegetarian. It's not his point that Hitler was a good guy simply by being a vegetarian. He's comparing the meat industry/slaughterhouses to death camps.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

  6. #66
    Elite Member Kathie_Moffett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    just another freak in the freak kingdom
    Posts
    6,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Bringing this back to the original statement by Morrissey, he does sound especially idiotic when he tries to take the moral high ground and compare meat eaters to a guy who actually avoided meat (Hitler). I used to think the Hitler-as-vegetarian thing was apocryphal, but if you go to the wiki entry dedicated to this topic (Adolf Hitler and vegetarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) , it's pretty extensively documented. Even Hitler's food taster testified to this. Especially ironic was that Hitler apparently became a vegetarian during the height of his inhumanity to man.
    That Wiki says that some try to attribute Hitler's veggie ways to diet issues but that "he was often distressed by images of animal cruelty and suffering, as well as being an antivivisectionist." He purportedly even disliked makeup due to usage of animal products. Didn't he always have dogs? I do recall learning at one point that he was known as an animal lover.

    I wonder if he was one of those people whose most comfortable and central relationships tend to be with animal companions, in part because they cannot get along with or even relate much to people at all. Ones I've known exhibited traits such as being over-the-top animal activists with a lot of rage towards human society, usually vegetarians or vegans, always had at least several pets, were often reclusive, aging, single (major issues w/relationships, mood problems, etc.), and at the worst end hoarders (or animal hoarders, ugh.) Hmmm. Interesting.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

  7. #67
    Elite Member ConstanceSpry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    9,846

    Default

    ^^On the flip side - and fully acknowledging that Hitler was either insane or just really evil, regardless of his concern for animals -, there are many people out there who are completely non-compassionate toward animals, but very compassionate toward other humans. Personally, I think both extremes are bad and don't make for a balanced individual. But it seems to me people who openly don't give two shits about animals are much more accepted and not considered loons, whereas people haters are considered creeps and weirdos. And people who hate people (where's Streisand) often have a really good reason, such as being bullied, abused/mistreated by others, etc. They come to feel like animals are the only creatures who will never hurt them and they cut off contact with other humans as much as possible, which turns into a vicious circle of making it harder and harder to relate to others.
    Beeyotch likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

  8. #68
    Elite Member faithanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    On the Hellmouth
    Posts
    14,053

    Default

    with a lot of rage towards human society, usually vegetarians or vegans, always had at least several pets, were often reclusive, aging, single (major issues w/relationships, mood problems, etc.), and at the worst end hoarders (or animal hoarders, ugh.)
    This could describe me (except for the hoarding - I'm almost fanatically the opposite ie minimalist to the extreme) and I'm only reclusive because I have no money to go out much. So I'm Hitler?
    Kittylady likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."



  9. #69
    Elite Member Beeyotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    30,960

    Default

    Basically, yes, faithanne.
    faithanne and Novice like this.

  10. #70
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    33,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    I honestly don't see a hypocrisy issue with Hitler being a vegetarian. It's not his point that Hitler was a good guy simply by being a vegetarian. He's comparing the meat industry/slaughterhouses to death camps.
    Here is what Morrissey said, in part:

    “If you believe in the abattoir then you would support Auschwitz,”

    Now, the idiocy of the statement is that the master architect for Auschwitz was a guy who did NOT believe in the abattoir. Morrissey's statement, therefore, is like a fail of the highest order. I wouldn't call it hypocritical because Morrissey doesn't seem to know that much about the topic of Hitler and nazism in the first place.

  11. #71
    Elite Member ManxMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lemuria
    Posts
    7,796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Here is what Morrissey said, in part:

    “If you believe in the abattoir then you would support Auschwitz,”

    Now, the idiocy of the statement is that the master architect for Auschwitz was a guy who did NOT believe in the abattoir. Morrissey's statement, therefore, is like a fail of the highest order. I wouldn't call it hypocritical because Morrissey doesn't seem to know that much about the topic of Hitler and nazism in the first place.
    No, I understand your point, I just disagree with it. It's possible for a person to not believe in the abattoir (like Hitler) but still support Auschwitz. Doesn't mean that if you don't believe in the abattoir, you necessarily don't support Auschwitz. It's more like Hitler who is the hypocrite, if anything. Syllogisms and all. Hitler himself is really a red herring, in my opinion. I think Morrissey has issues with obnoxious jackassery but I don't see him as being inconsistent or hypocritical.

    ETA: did any of that make sense? Drunk. Just saying that reverence for life, in theory, cuts across all life forms, but lots of people make distinctions between people and animals for various reasons (some legit, some not).
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

  12. #72
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    33,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    No, I understand your point, I just disagree with it. It's possible for a person to not believe in the abattoir (like Hitler) but still support Auschwitz. Doesn't mean that if you don't believe in the abattoir, you necessarily don't support Auschwitz. It's more like Hitler who is the hypocrite, if anything. Syllogisms and all. Hitler himself is really a red herring, in my opinion. I think Morrissey has issues with obnoxious jackassery but I don't see him as being inconsistent or hypocritical.

    ETA: did any of that make sense? Drunk. Just saying that reverence for life, in theory, cuts across all life forms, but lots of people make distinctions between people and animals for various reasons (some legit, some not).
    My problem with his logic is still this:

    The vast majority of the anti Axis Alliance at the time that were involved in World War II were meat eaters. They were horrified by Auschwitz and liberated its occupants. By Morrissey's logic, we would have seen Auschwitz, said, "Hey cool!" and then started franchises.
    Flygirl and kasippu like this.

  13. #73
    Elite Member ManxMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lemuria
    Posts
    7,796

    Default

    So you can't be a vegetaryan?
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

  14. #74
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    33,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    So you can't be a vegetaryan?

  15. #75
    Elite Member Novice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beyond Caring, then hang a left.
    Posts
    47,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    This could describe me (except for the hoarding - I'm almost fanatically the opposite ie minimalist to the extreme) and I'm only reclusive because I have no money to go out much. So I'm Hitler?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Here is what Morrissey said, in part:

    “If you believe in the abattoir then you would support Auschwitz,”

    Now, the idiocy of the statement is that the master architect for Auschwitz was a guy who did NOT believe in the abattoir. Morrissey's statement, therefore, is like a fail of the highest order. I wouldn't call it hypocritical because Morrissey doesn't seem to know that much about the topic of Hitler and nazism in the first place.
    But you're missing the point. Faithanne is hitler!
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    No, I understand your point, I just disagree with it. It's possible for a person to not believe in the abattoir (like Hitler) but still support Auschwitz. Doesn't mean that if you don't believe in the abattoir, you necessarily don't support Auschwitz. It's more like Hitler who is the hypocrite, if anything. Syllogisms and all. Hitler himself is really a red herring, in my opinion. I think Morrissey has issues with obnoxious jackassery but I don't see him as being inconsistent or hypocritical.

    ETA: did any of that make sense? Drunk. Just saying that reverence for life, in theory, cuts across all life forms, but lots of people make distinctions between people and animals for various reasons (some legit, some not).
    Yes, Morrissey is consistantly an asshole.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    So you can't be a vegetaryan?
    I don't know if that's really funny or really bad.
    MohandasKGanja and faithanne like this.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 26
    Last Post: May 28th, 2011, 12:59 PM
  2. Replies: 33
    Last Post: August 19th, 2009, 07:43 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 23rd, 2008, 11:57 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 22nd, 2007, 06:59 AM
  5. Sidekick 2 or equivalent...
    By chatterweb in forum Computers and Technology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 9th, 2006, 06:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •