Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: More revelations from Britney Spears' Rolling Stone article

This isn't really anything I already didn't know. Just more detailed.

Erm, I'm not rewriting history. She has been onstage more or less since she was four years old. She may have been under teh radar for alot of people but she was working. Mickey Mouse Club, New York stage, etc.

Still doesn't make her a "child star" and doesn't mean she was famous (and that "New York stage" story is so bullshit anyway). The original quote was that "her entire childhood the press scrutinized her every move." That is revisionist history. She became famous when she was 17. Before that, she was an anonymous brat who did beauty pageants and mall shows like millions of other anonybrats in the South with their own stage mothers. Yeah, it sucks, but it doesn't justify adult behavior and people need to stop lying and turning her into a kid who grew up in the spotlight and never had a life without fame. Shirley Temple? Literally onstage from the time she could walk and the press followed her every move from when she was 3. Not Britney fuckin' Spears.

^^yeah even her song says "I'm Miss American dream since I was seventeen." so not exactly a child star. Still being scrutinized like that from a young age would be tough for anyone to deal with. I think Shirley had a horrible stage mother but at least she managed to have a normal life.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Yes, River Phoenix was in the Children of God Family shit and it is the most fucked up thing EVER!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Yes, River Phoenix was in the Children of God Family shit and it is the most fucked up thing EVER!!!!!!!!!
    I saw a documentary about them. They totally make CO$ look tame in comparison. They were a reaaalllly crazy cult.

Bronze Member

Well, to be fair, what's the difference between being a child star and a child performer? Either way you're missing out on your childhood. I don't think her mind ever really matured since 16 or so. If you look back, she was always saying how she wanted to grow up and be a woman (and she thought being slutty equaled being a grown up woman) and they gave her stupid ass songs like "Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman". I can see how what she went through would fuck with someone's mind.

For what it's worth, she recorded her album when she was 15 and it was released when she was 16.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Still doesn't make her a "child star" and doesn't mean she was famous (and that "New York stage" story is so bullshit anyway). The original quote was that "her entire childhood the press scrutinized her every move." That is revisionist history. She became famous when she was 17. Before that, she was an anonymous brat who did beauty pageants and mall shows like millions of other anonybrats in the South with their own stage mothers. Yeah, it sucks, but it doesn't justify adult behavior and people need to stop lying and turning her into a kid who grew up in the spotlight and never had a life without fame. Shirley Temple? Literally onstage from the time she could walk and the press followed her every move from when she was 3. Not Britney fuckin' Spears.
    Shirley Temple didn't have the paps dogging her every step the way celebs do now. As far as whether Britters was 'as big' as Shirley Temple, of course not. But then, few are, perhaps excepting Culkin. She was on telly, she was in the teen and kiddie rags and she was paraded around like a show horse. She hit the big time at 17 but what in her life prior to that prepared her for that level of attention? Did she ever have a regular old childhood that gave her some grounding? No, like I said, she was paraded around like a show horse. There's a great documentary being shown lately that lays it all out. She was pimped, pure and simple since she was a child and while she didn't achieve fame such as the level Temple achieved (who is generally agreed to be the biggest child star of teh 20th century, so not really an apt comparison) she certainly was known to certain segments of the public.

As far as Shirley Temple, at 17 she married a man 7 years her senior, who was also her lover prior to marriage. She allegedly had a number of other lovers prior to her first marriage, while still in her mid-teens. She smoked and drank early in her teens and she was divorced while in her early twenties. She also went on to become a big republican, which certainly doesn't tell me she turned out alright.

One big difference between child stars now and then is that back then the studios controlled things and the general public wasn't privy to alot of info. Also, the paps just weren't like they are today, jackals from hell.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Seriously guys! She's been pimped out since she was old enough to stand up straight. Read about her childhood:

"Spears was an accomplished gymnast, attending gymnastics classes until age nine and competing in state-level competitions. She performed in local dance revues and sang in her local Baptist church choir. At age eight she auditioned for the Disney Channel series The New Mickey Mouse Club. Although she was considered too young to join the series at the time, a producer on the show introduced her to a New York City agent. Spears subsequently spent three summers at NYC's Professional Performing Arts School and also appeared in a number of off-Broadway productions, including 1991's Ruthless!. In 1992, she landed a spot on the popular television show Star Search. She won the first round of competition, but ultimately lost. At age eleven, Spears returned to the Disney Channel for a spot on the The New Mickey Mouse Club in Lakeland, Florida. She was featured on the show from 1993 to 1994, until she was 13. Other future celebrities on the show included fellow pop singer Christina Aguilera, 'N Sync members Justin Timberlake and Joshua Chasez, Felicity actress Keri Russell, and The Notebook star Ryan Gosling.[20] After the show ended, Spears returned to Kentwood and attended high school for a year.

In 1997, Spears briefly joined the all-female pop group Innosense. Later that same year, she recorded a demo solo and was signed by Jive Records. She began a U.S. concert tour sponsored by American teen magazines, and eventually became an opening act for 'N Sync and the Backstreet Boys.
    - from wiki

So recap:
    - at 8, she auditioned for the Mickey Mouse Club
    - pushed to be a competitive gymnast until 9.
    - age 10, she was living in NYC and doing Broadway and on Star Search.
    - age 11- 13 she did the Mickey Mouse Club.
    - Age 14, 'normal' Britney in Kentwood.
    - Age 15, Innosense girl group and recording her first album. And it was off to the races.

She never had a damn chance at being normal. There's a really great VH1 show called Driven, and they did a feature on Britney SPears and her family was interviewed for it. It really made me despise Lynn for the way she pushed and pressured and drove Britney to this. And she didn't have a clue that it was unhealthy for her daughter.

And the other daughter? Sure she can remember lines but she's just another good little earner for the mother.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus!

The only person off the top of my head who has pissed and moaned more about "not having a childhood" is Michael Jackson.

They need to get married or something. They can cry about their childhoods, shop all day, hang kids over balconies. It's a match made in heaven.

I don't think Britters has publically complained all that much about her childhood. From everything I've seen and read it's other people who bring it up.

--Sinclair Lewis

^^Yeah, we're the ones pissin' and moanin' about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    That is exactly why I always excuse Joaquin (apart from adoring him as well) from his cuckoo ways. What a fucked up childhood he had.

Unhappy

Lainey has updated with a few more deets from the RS story. What a classy guy JT appears to be....

If Britney was really who we believed her to be – a puppet, a grinning blonde without a cool thought in her head, a teasing coquette clueless to her own sexual power – none of this would have happened. She is not book-smart, granted. But she is intelligent enough to understand what the world wanted of her: that she was created as a virgin to be deflowered before us, for our amusement and titillation. She is not ashamed of her new persona – she wants us to know what we did to her. While it may be true that Britney suffers from the adult onset of a genetic mental disease (or a disease created by fame, yet to be named); or that she is a “habitual, frequent and continuous” drug user, as the judge declared; or that she is a cipher with boundless depths, make no mistake – she is enjoying the chaos she is creating. The look on her face when she’s goofing around with paparazzi – one of whom, don’t forget, she is dating – is often one of pure excitement.

And then there’s Justin. This is the detail that was dangled by the New York Daily News – again, as I wrote yesterday, it’s no big deal. Excerpt below:

Britney’s savior was Justin Timberlake, whom she started dating around 1999. “Justin had his head screwed on so straight, and he rescued her from that world,” says a friend. “He became the great force in her life, but it started a pattern – she began to look for guys to help her get away from the people who control her.” Even though Britney was one of the biggest stars in the world and Timberlake was still just another guy in ’NSync, the power balance in their relationship was solid. “She wasn’t competitive about attention,” says a close friend. “She just wanted to be in love with him.” Once again, her manager gave her instructions: The partnership was to be kept under wraps, and they had to tell everyone they planned to stay abstinent until marriage. “They were always running in between each other’s buses, and one night Justin came back to the bus and said to me, ‘Dude, smell my fingers,’ ” says Henson. “Justin slept with her that night.” It was another year before they admitted publicly that they were a couple.

It’s a great read, with more inside information on her cheating on him with Wade Robson, on her breasts implants encouraged by her mother, and on her relationship with KFed.

Source: Lainey's Entertainment Update - Celebrity Gossip | Photos | News | Videos
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Hit By Ban Bus!

^ I read on a now defunct board, that once someone asked JT if Brit was still a virgin, he replied with something along the lines of "well her mouth sure isn't".

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information