Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Mo’nique: I was ‘blackballed’ from Hollywood following my 2010 Oscar win

As a principled, no holds barred bitch with balls, I completely understand not wanting to play the game or going along with politics. However, at the same time, I know that being on the outside sometimes goes along with that personality. You don't always get to have your cake and eat it too. Pay the price for being strong in your principles or not. But you don't get to whine about it being unfair if you choose to not play.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

I don't know Oscar promo all that well but I do know that a nomination can mean a boost in sales in part because the nominees get invited everywhere to talk about their movie. It is part of her job to make the movie as successful as possible and that means doing the Oscar promoting if for no other reason than to be a professional who does her job Unless promoting the movie during awards season involves the nominees having to put out, I don't see the moral high ground by refusing to do her job.
    sluce, Kittylady and Callalily like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Appollonia View Post
    I don't understand that apostrophe in her name. Someone please explain.
    I knew of someone with the name La-A, pronounced Ladasha.

I've seen that name too. Possibly on the Maury show.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    I've seen that name too. Possibly on the Maury show.

czb

so when she loses more weight, will she change her name to Les'Nique?

^that was awesome
    czb likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Wow, she did lose a lot of weight!

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    Mo’Nique also writes that she was offered the role of Forest Whitaker’s wife in Lee Daniels’ The Butler, a part that ultimately went to Oprah Winfrey; a role in the Daniels-produced Fox hit Empire; and the role of Richard Pryor’s grandmother [also now set to be played by Oprah] in the upcoming biopic Daniels is working on—but, she adds, “they all just went away.”

Quote Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
    Not even talking about her personality, she is old and heavy, there aren't that many roles in Hollywood for that "type" unless you are Oprah and produce them yourself.
    I don't think the roles in the above article went to Oprah instead of her because of her 'difficult' reputation (although I'm sure that didn't help one bit), but rather because Oprah heard of them and wanted them and made sure it happened. Oprah has a lot of money and a lot of clout to throw behind a project that she wants in on and I think that any actress in the frame for a part she wanted for herself would run into serious difficulties.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs P View Post
    I knew of someone with the name La-A, pronounced Ladasha.
    You kid, surely?
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

I work for the school system and it is very common for black kids to have apostrophes in their names, boys and girls. I think it's so that they look/sound French. At least with the vast majority of the names, if I don't pronounce them with a French accent, the parents get really mad.

Quote Originally Posted by llamamama View Post
    I work for the school system and it is very common for black kids to have apostrophes in their names, boys and girls. I think it's so that they look/sound French. At least with the vast majority of the names, if I don't pronounce them with a French accent, the parents get really mad.
    There are a lot of pageant kids with crazy spelled names, hyphens, and apostrophes. I have a french name no apostrophes!!
    sluce and hustle4alivin like this.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Hate to say it but she did it to herself.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Mo'Nique and her husband were also demanding payments (up to $100,000 in some cases) for her promotional appearances as well. Since Precious was an independent film, the budget was low and she didn't get paid much for it, but felt that with Oprah and Tyler Perry's financial backing, she could make those demands. Instead of using the promotional work to parlay that into more opportunities, she and her husband played the game backwards. Even A-Listers with way more power and clout have to play the game, so why did she think she was above doing the work?

Her antics were well-known before the Oscars and her acceptance speech talking about not playing politics to win an award was the nail in the coffin.

She also had a talk show on BET at the time and decided to promote that instead. That show was canceled after her and her husband kept fighting with the producers about money. She also had a syndicated radio show that went down in flames for similar reasons. So it wasn't just the movies where she has problems finding work. So who's the common denominator here? It's obvious her husband is not a good business manager and she continues to let him lead the way on these decisions.

Mo'Nique cut her teeth hustling in the stand-up comedy scene where she had to constantly fight for money and she approached her Hollywood career in a similar fashion. But the rules and game don't work the same way.

I'm pretty sure most of us have to do extra crap at our jobs all the time to promote a brand/company, and we don't get paid for it. Or if you receive an award or recognition for your work, you don't go up there and make slick remarks about politics. You'll piss everyone off, including the people who provide work for you. That's essentially what Mo'Nique did.

If Katherine Heigl and Alex Pettyfer were blacklisted for their antics and demands, a black actress like Mo'Nique should've known better than to carry on that way.

It doesn't seem as if she's learned her lesson, considering how she somewhat threw Lee Daniels under the bus in this interview. You don't name names in Hollywood like that.
    Last edited by hustle4alivin; February 23rd, 2015 at 04:26 PM.

She will wish she had kept her mouth shut because now everyone will come forward with their stories about her...

http://www.styleite.com/news/about-t...ckballed-them/

About That Time Mo’Nique’s Husband Threatened Me… And Why Hollywood Blackballed Them

I hate when people scream at me.

by Swagger New York (  ) | Sunday, February 22nd 2015 at 3:33 pm|

In 2010, I returned to the States from a long-stay in Paris. I was poor, but having escaped the hustle of the entertainment industry for eight long months, I felt more energized than ever to return to TV to tell great stories.

My first gig was at BET, where I was hired to help produce content around the 82nd Academy Awards. They called them “The Black Oscars” that year because of Precious, the critically-acclaimed Lee Daniels flick that received six nominations for its portrayal of one black girl’s struggle for acceptance. Everyone – black, white, urban, suburban – was excited to see this movie nab all six statues on the biggest awards night of the year.

Precious‘s star was Mo’Nique, a comedian turned dramatic actor, who was favored to win Best Supporting Actress for her role as the main character’s drug-riddled and depressed mother. As I was told to focus on stories around Mo’Nique and her character, I began to do research on her “process” as an actress and her history as a comedian. But I was also tasked with watching her on various red carpets leading up to the Oscars.

And that’s when I started to learn about Mo’Nique, the business woman. She and her long-time husband/manager, Sidney Hicks, were becoming the talk of the industry because they allegedly asked for money to show up on carpets to support Precious. While she was not contractually obliged to show up to many of these carpets, most nominated actors “kissed the ring” to sweeten their hopes of a win, if not to continue hype around their nominated movie. But Mo’Nique and Sidney didn’t want to “play the game”, as she recently told The Hollywood Reporter. They wanted to get paid to play the game.

I couldn’t report on that, really. It wasn’t a fact I could prove, nor one I thought super important, given the weight of the film itself. One thing everyone wanted to know, though, was What Would Mo’Nique wear?! There was rumor that the actress was having her Oscar dress designed by Tom and Linda Platt in NYC, so I called them. After chatting with Tom various times, we decided that the BET crew would come by to shoot an interview with the designers and show off the types of dresses they created. “Of course, we couldn’t reveal the dress,” Tom told me. “Of course,” I answered. The plan was set, we’d show up on Wednesday to shoot our segment.

On Tuesday afternoon, my phone rang. “Hi, this is Sidney. Who am I speaking with?” I had no idea who Sidney could be, I had no friends or work associates with the name. Before I could even finish my name, he began screaming and immediately it clicked. “ARE YOU THE ONE WHO TRIED TO SHOW MO’NIQUE’S FUC*ING OSCAR DRESS ON TV?! ARE YOU THE PRODUCER?! WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? I WILL GET YOU FIRED WHEN I TALK TO YOUR FUC*ING BOSS.”

I hate when people scream at me.

And I especially hate being blamed for a wrong that I never committed. After all, no one – not me or Tom Platt – wanted to show Mo’Nique’s dress. The story, as agreed upon by me and Platt, was to showcase the relatively unknown designers behind the dress.

I took a breath and responded with something like “First of all, Sidney. Don’t scream at me. Tom and I never planned on actually shooting the dress, as the story isn’t about your wife, it’s about the designers who are dressing her.” After a five minute back and forth, which was part-shouting match part macho ball-grabbing on his part, I was over dealing with Sidney, Mo’Nique’s nasty, mean husband. He assured me that he knew “Reggie Hudlin (the President of BET at the time) and Debra Lee (its CEO),” and that Mo’Nique was major at the network (she soon hosted her own late-night show) and that I was “fucking with the wrong one.” And so, with my co-workers staring at me in horror, I gave him my boss’s number, telling Hicks “Feel free to talk to him, but I’m sure he’ll tell you the same thing, which, as I mentioned before, is that WE NEVER PLANNED ON SHOWING HER DRESS.”

And that should give you a micro-hint at the macro problem of why no one wants to work with Mo’Nique. Because aside from “not playing the game,” she has a non-professional husband who does all of her dealings. And, frankly, Sidney is not someone anyone wants to actually deal with. So while playing the game would be helpful, being nice (and informed) would probably help too. I hope she gets her chance for a renaissance in an unforgiving Hollywood, but I also hope she (and Sidney) have changed the tune.

Mo’Nique ended up wearing Tadashi Shoji to the event. And I always believed that Sidney and she cancelled on wearing the Platts on account of the BET interview. I’ll never know for sure. -Sian-Pierre
    Kittylady and JuJuBeez like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information