Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Missing millionaire/aviator Steve Fossett still alive?

Zee

We had two crashes at local FBO- fire department had hard time identifying the crash site. Not much left afterwards is an understatement.

I hope he is dead and not putting people through the effort in vain.

Cool- super constellation!
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

L1049---truly great info! I have no clue, so this all makes better sense.

Though, I just HAVE to bring this up...sorry......but, his crash was allegedly not in the woods, it was in the desert---would it still be THAT hard to find the wreckage?? No trees.....you know? Just saying...

Silver Member

Lynnie, that is a desolate area with brushy mountains everywhere. We drove between Las Vegas and Reno last summer, and it was empty, and that was on the highway. We actually went about 2 hours between McDonald's (we passed up the first one, because it was ugh, McDonald's, and by the time we hit the second one, we were so excited to see it!) A lot of it is also Indian Reservation, military installations (doubt he's on one of those!) or apparently owned by the Hiltons...

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    L1049---truly great info! I have no clue, so this all makes better sense.

Though, I just HAVE to bring this up...sorry......but, his crash was allegedly not in the woods, it was in the desert---would it still be THAT hard to find the wreckage?? No trees.....you know? Just saying...
    Even if it is in the desert, the aircraft may not even resemble an aircraft. To some people, an aircraft may look like an old car, or farm equipment (like my example earlier.) The aircraft he was in the American Champion Decathlon was a light aerobatic aircraft, and probably would have crumpled like a can upon impact. Also from what I've read on the aircraft, the wings are fabric covered. In other words, in the event of a post-crash fire, the most visible part of the aircraft (the wing span) probably would have burnt up.

*Someone please virtually bitch-slap me if I ramble on subjects like this

No, please, it's great to hear an
    expert on the subject. I totally appreciate it.
    I've heard that planes can just desinagrate with impact.

Now don't all aircraft have locators (ELT) built in?? Like L1049 says, when one of those things goes off, there is an immediate response, no matter where the signal is believed to be coming from. Long ago, in another life, I briefly worked for an off shore supply company, that had it's own small fleet of Puma helicopters. They all had ELTs. What's more you had to be very careful handling the ELT's around the avionics dept, 'cause it you set on of those things off, the response team would show up. Even if they knew where the signal was coming from (your hangar, or instance, because they'd made the trip a couple of times before). The procedure was, when you get the SOS you go, and don't let common sense to cause you to make assumptions when life is at stake.

Last edited by AgentOrange; July 29th, 2008 at 04:55 AM.

L1049 - really cool info. Thanks for sharing with us!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

i still think its funny u have such hate for him Soj its like, of all the guys in the world!! ur so peculiar sometimes; i cant keep up!!!

Now don't all aircraft have locators (ELT) built in?? Like L1049 says, when one of those things goes off, there is an immediate response, no matter where the signal is believed to be coming from.
    I'm actually not completely sure about the requirement for ELT's. I don't think an ELT is required for privately owned aircraft (again not completely sure). An ELT would probably be required if the aircraft was commercially registered (charter airline, flight school, etc.)
    An ELT would be useless in an aircraft that holds more than 20 or so people, since those aircraft would require a CVR and FDR which have homing beacons.

What's more you had to be very careful handling the ELT's around the avionics dept, 'cause it you set on of those things off, the response team would show up.
    If your Canadian, it probably would have been CASARA that showed up to home the ELT. It's actually not hard to home an ELT with a 2 way radio or a specific ELT antenna -> a lot easier.
    Most of the time people, including pilots, don't even realize that the ELT is on. There is an on/off switch but no indication that it is on (like a light or something) when the switch is set to on.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

this thread is too technical its makin' my eyes hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by L1049 View Post
    Even if it is in the desert, the aircraft may not even resemble an aircraft. To some people, an aircraft may look like an old car, or farm equipment (like my example earlier.) The aircraft he was in the American Champion Decathlon was a light aerobatic aircraft, and probably would have crumpled like a can upon impact. Also from what I've read on the aircraft, the wings are fabric covered. In other words, in the event of a post-crash fire, the most visible part of the aircraft (the wing span) probably would have burnt up.

*Someone please virtually bitch-slap me if I ramble on subjects like this
    I'm finding you very fascinating; for a change learning something in here that is useful, not just celebrity b/s

Quote Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
    I'm finding you very fascinating; for a change learning something in here that is useful, not just celebrity b/s
    I'm with you! I love all this info. Thanks L1049!

Also, loved Soj's comment about eating too many "bitchflakes." hee hee Too funny.

Hit By Ban Bus!

due to the terrain he went down in he coulda easily dug a hole and buried the plane - there aren't many trees out there in the Nevada desert but there are a lot of cliffs and canyons. Its a small plane:

Personally, I wouldn't be shocked if he was alive - some really fishy stuff about the crash ... no flight plan, no idea what his path was ... he had a really old ELT in the plane (why? couldn't afford a new one? doubtful.) and he left his GPS watch at home for some reason.

If he is alive I hope he is found, bastard cost this state $1.7 million looking for him.

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't be shocked if he was alive - some really fishy stuff about the crash ... no flight plan, no idea what his path was ... he had a really old ELT in the plane (why? couldn't afford a new one? doubtful.) and he left his GPS watch at home for some reason.
    I wouldn't really call no flight plan fishy, irresponsible yes. Unfortunately there are lots of people that don't file flight plans, and if they do they deviate from their course which makes it almost impossible to get their last known position.

His watch didn't have an GPS in it, it had a built in ELT.
    Breitling Emergency 43mm Chronograph with Distress Transmitter - Luxist
    Even if he had it with him, it is a fairly weak signal but in an emergency anything is better than nothing.

Just like any other electronics, ELT's can fail. It's a kick in the ass, but it does happen.

I'm finding you very fascinating;
    I've been called a lot of things, and fascinating hasn't been one of them. Thanks

If anyone has any questions, I'll try to answer them

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by L1049 View Post
    I wouldn't really call no flight plan fishy, irresponsible yes.
    I was talking about all three things taken together. I go out without filing sometimes.

You also gotta understand the area he disappeared in is almost flat open desert ... if it was forest or Mtns. I wouldn't think twice - but vanishing without a trace out there is very surprising after all the searching.

You could dismantle that plane in a couple hours and stuff it in a semi-truck easily, and out there there'd be plenty of places to do it free from spectators.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information