Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
Like Tree1100Likes

Thread: Miley Cyrus: “I'm not just this ratchet white girl. I work really, really hard"

DAP

Miley Cyrus is America’s worst nightmare. Last night, with her performance at the MTV Video Music Awards, she proved that many people in this country are still pre-occupied with slut-shaming and coded racial condescension in the context of entertainment.

Her performance of “We Can’t Stop,” a catchy and otherwise seemingly harmless pop song, that transitioned to a duet with Robin Thicke’s “Blurred Lines,” is clearly the most talked about moment of the show, but for all the wrong reasons.

Her bawdy performance, that featured Miley and other dancers twerking on stage, drew criticism as lewd, grotesque and shameful. MSNBC's Mika Brzezinski went so far as to say Cyrus “is obviously deeply troubled, deeply disturbed, clearly has confidence issues, probably eating disorder,” on Morning Joe Monday. But what exactly is so disturbing about Miley Cyrus?

It seems that we still can’t handle what it’s like for a young woman to be able to perform, as she chooses, without layering in a heavy helping of insults as well. While Cyrus was condemned for grinding on Thicke, very little criticism has been laid on the singer himself for his role in the performance. The nastiest of the comments have implied that Cyrus is somehow diseased because of her preferred dance methods.

Add to this the fact that some people feel she is appropriating a certain amount of black culture without proper license and you’ve got a cauldron of ignorance and discrimination that even in 2013 is widely regarded as understandable, if not sensible. It is not.

When the white, 20-year-old, former child star and daughter of a country singer goes on stage and does something that the so-called ruling classes deem unseemly, it starts a firestorm. When scores of young women across the globe take the stage to express themselves in exactly the same way at an EDM concert by Diplo, and plaster their exploits all over social networks, no one bats an eye.

By implying that Cyrus is somehow creating a minstrel act of sorts by including black dancers in her act, you are implying that there is something lesser than about such an act. As if it’s completely impossible that she simply enjoys and respects the talents of those she chooses to work with. In short, it is inherently racist to imply that there is anything wrong with anyone other than black women twerking.

So, in 2013 in America, while we celebrate a young man from Seattle for having the courage to make a song out of exploring his thoughts on sexuality as a child, and eventually coming to the conclusion that hate is stupid, Miley doesn't get such a luxury. Even though all she's doing is precisely what we’re celebrating everyone else for: being herself.
    Miley Cyrus and the issues of slut-shaming and racial condescension - The Washington Post

"In short, it is inherently racist to imply that there is anything wrong with anyone other than black women twerking."

UmHm, however no one is implying there is anything wrong with anyone other than black women twerking, everyone is stating that there is something wrong with MILEY CYRUS twerking, because she can't actually do it...Not sure anyone wants her to stop though, it's hilarious

But of course we have to have the pro Mileys digging deep for issues that don't exist.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^ In regards to her VMA performance? Haven't noticed it. But Miley not being allowed to twerk because she isn't black (or anyone else who isn't black) hasn't come across as the majority consensus or coverage to me (from what I've read).

I think its blowing it out of proportion to make her negative reception about race.

they aren't making her negative reception about race. but they are calling her performance racist in many places. and that's part of what the WaPo piece was addressing - 'cultural appropriation'.

Comments like this one from douchebag MSNBC's Mika Brzezinski "Cyrus is obviously deeply troubled, deeply disturbed, clearly has confidence issues, probably eating disorder” are really too far and isn't really about this shitty performance. Which is the other part.

she completely sucked, and it's fine to talk about that, but the other stuff is just ridic.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Elite Member

Didn't Miley say she wanted her music to sound black? Whatever that means.

She is a stupid little girl. So it's not totally impossible that she thinks that the best way to get more of a black audience is to act the way she acts.

@WitchCurlGirl I meant the Washington article. If others want to interpret racism and sexism they can. But I think its people digging for issues which will/to blow things out of proportion. However I just came to laugh at Miley's turkey ass, been doing so since last night, still amused.

they also seemed to love a guy named red skeleton.
    Odd but true story; when I was sixteen, I went to pick up a furnace filter at our local K-mart. An elderly man stopped me as I was walking by, and asked if I would help him shop. Being who I was, (16 and air filter shopping?) I spent the next half hour picking out socks for him. Old women kept running up and asking for his autograph. I would hold his stuff when he signed. I peeked at one and saw that it was Red Skelton. He was appearing in town for a performance. I later read that he never wore the same pair of socks twice, but all I could think of right then was, "Should you be out alone?" "How did you get here?"

I'm gonna keep calling her turkey butt. It seems to be catching on.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I choose to drive by the white guilt implications and stay mesmerized on the grotesque cracked out tongue and flabby starved turkey butt in yellowed cling-wrap. There's so much to focus on, those two things are important to me.

Turkey-ass ratchet!

^ That's a difficult spot the difference you got there, can't find a thing...
    Clubber Lang likes this.

Meh...Edited to delete comment because I just don't want to go there today...
    Last edited by PeaPrincess; August 27th, 2013 at 11:14 AM.
    It's really human of you to listen to all my bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mintgiver View Post
    Odd but true story; when I was sixteen, I went to pick up a furnace filter at our local K-mart. An elderly man stopped me as I was walking by, and asked if I would help him shop. Being who I was, (16 and air filter shopping?) I spent the next half hour picking out socks for him. Old women kept running up and asking for his autograph. I would hold his stuff when he signed. I peeked at one and saw that it was Red Skelton. He was appearing in town for a performance. I later read that he never wore the same pair of socks twice, but all I could think of right then was, "Should you be out alone?" "How did you get here?"
    AWESOME story. Thanks for sharing that, it really made me smile.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

Thread Information