Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree230Likes

Thread: Miley Cyrus Comes Out As "Genderqueer"

Quote Originally Posted by coolade View Post
    Who makes up these labels?
    Genderqueer is often used by transsexuals who have decided through the course of their transition that they do not wish to be male or female. What Miley's saying is that while she appears to be a female-identifying person, she isn't necessarily. She also doesn't identify as male. She identifies as both or neither.

Why she wants to identify as genderqueer rather than bisexual is up to her. Although FWIW, bisexuals cope a lot of shit from within and without the LGBTIQ world. Straight people think they're having it all and gay people think they're in denial.

Sexuality and sexual identity: comes in all kinds of flavours. Live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Oh and while we're talking about it, what's this cis-gender bollox about then?
    a cisgender person is someone who looks like the gender they feel.

So I'm a cis-woman. I identify as female and I am biologically female. It's the opposite to trans: if I were trans, I would be biologically female but identify as male.

A*O

Thanks for the info. But I still don't understand the need to label ourselves and others by gender and/or sexuality. There seems to be a whole industry, or more accurately academic/political/sociologica/feminist bandwagon devoted to it. It just reeks of self-absorbed bullshit to me. Sorry.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Elite Member

Great post Sassi! .. and great question A*O.

The way i see it is, Miley is a young person putting a different 'take' on sexuality out there .. and even if helps just one person come to terms with their sexuality, then she is doing a great job.

She is a crazy, zany little miss.. but what's the harm in that?

CCasey, i wish your Son all the very best and a wonderful future and Thank You for being such a great supportive Mother to him.

Elite Member

I want her to come out as a fame whore. I'm not even kidding. I want her to sit down with Diane Sawyer or Barbara Walters for a 1 hour special on how her external locus of identity has shaped her life choices. The Kartrashians, Tori Spelling, Leann Rimes, Courtney Stodden and basically anyone on a reality show can follow suit.
    If narcissism was a socially acceptable diagnose, celebs would line up to give interviews about how they suffer from it, so they would receive even more attention because of it.

(Disclaimer: I'm not trying to compare narcissism and LGBTQ, I'm just saying that Miley is a famewhore.)
    joebob, Serendipity, BBDSP and 7 others like this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by *Wookie-Chick* View Post
    Great post Sassi! .. and great question A*O.

The way i see it is, Miley is a young person putting a different 'take' on sexuality out there .. and even if helps just one person come to terms with their sexuality, then she is doing a great job.

She is a crazy, zany little miss.. but what's the harm in that?

CCasey, i wish your Son all the very best and a wonderful future and Thank You for being such a great supportive Mother to him.
    It isn't a different take tho. There is nothing different about this bullshit.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Thanks for the info. But I still don't understand the need to label ourselves and others by gender and/or sexuality. There seems to be a whole industry, or more accurately academic/political/sociologica/feminist bandwagon devoted to it. It just reeks of self-absorbed bullshit to me. Sorry.
    I mostly agree. I think it reflects some weird nexus between today's culture of massive self-absorption and a generally well-intentioned desire to promote universal acceptance of different facets of sexuality - kind of an overreaction to closeting and shame. Paradoxically, it seems to result in labeling oneself, even if it's just labeling oneself as not wanting to be labeled.

Miley is just tiresome, and I agree with Joe Bob's comment below that it's not really a new take on anything. It's like she is stuck in this extended adolescence in which she talks incessantly about herself and every little thought that pops into her head is immediately pooped out, kinda like "brain droppings."
    Clubber Lang and lindsaywhit like this.
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

So I'm a cisgender because I look like a female and identify as a female? Isn't that just a complicated way to say I'm female?

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by coolade View Post
    So I'm a cisgender because I look like a female and identify as a female? Isn't that just a complicated way to say I'm female?
    The cis- designator is a way of differentiating those who are biologically female (or male) and identify that way from those who are biologically female (or male) but do not identify as such. It's a relative term and I am sure it has a legitimate purpose in some contexts.
    Bombshell, Beeyotch and Lalasnake like this.
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

Elite Member

I think we are splitting hairs here with all these labels. Can't we just be and not have to define it? Some posters have said it beautifully already -- gender and sexuality are very fluid. It's a spectrum, we all fit somewhere on it.

I have to get out of this thread. It's making my head spin a bit.

Elite Member

The reason, I have a problem with Miley "coming out" as genderqueer, when she's really just not fitting into the traditionally female gender stereotype, is that she is hijacking the narrative from people who are LGBTQ.

LGBTQ have been and are still being discriminated against in society, and I think it's important for them to label themselves, so they can organise and work against the discrimination. That's why we need gay pride parades, but not a straight pride parade; and a black history month, but not a white history month. If you haven't been persecuted because of gender, sexuality, race or religion, you don't need a label. Society is already your label.
    Miley has never been persecuted because of her sexuality. If anything, she should come out as a feminist, and work against slut shaming, as I'm guessing she has been shamed for the way she dresses.

Does my post make any sense? I'm not sure.
    tulip, Bombshell, Beeyotch and 2 others like this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by idunno View Post
    The reason, I have a problem with Miley "coming out" as genderqueer, when she's really just not fitting into the traditionally female gender stereotype, is that she is hijacking the narrative from people who are LGBTQ.

LGBTQ have been and are still being discriminated against in society, and I think it's important for them to label themselves, so they can organise and work against the discrimination. That's why we need gay pride parades, but not a straight pride parade; and a black history month, but not a white history month. If you haven't been persecuted because of gender, sexuality, race or religion, you don't need a label. Society is already your label.
    Miley has never been persecuted because of her sexuality. If anything, she should come out as a feminist, and work against slut shaming, as I'm guessing she has been shamed for the way she dresses.

Does my post make any sense? I'm not sure.
    I think it totally does. I agree with you about Miley too, although if it helps someone else, then that is a good thing. I do understand why people want to identify as a certain thing, but there are so many shades here. I am finding it confounding. The term genderqueer really makes no sense to me, unlike the other ones that do make sense -- although that cis-female thing or whatever seems completely unnecessary to me. I really wish we were at the place in society when none of this mattered at all. Live and let live.
    Bombshell, Clubber Lang and idunno like this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by maryk View Post
    Sadly I think this is the new allegedly bisexual fad.
    Nothing new about this. I've seen some of my own crowd (when they were young and ridiculous) doing the whole "Oh I'm bi! I dare you to hate/judge/be shocked by me!" thing, and then the up and coming young pups and whippersnappers doing exactly the same thing a few years down the line and daring us to be shocked/judgmental/whatever. This shit is old hat to me and as tiresome now as it was then. And for the record Every. Damn. One. of the people who pulled this shit is settled with or exclusively pursuing members of the opposite sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber Lang View Post
    Oh for the love of God that is fucking ridiculous. If you're bi, you're bi. If you're gay, you're gay. If you're trans, you're trans. That's it. I don't know too many chicks that are a down-right frilly pink-wearing, squealing, rom-com watching, boyfriend obsessing, stereotypical females. As a matter of fact, just about every girl I know is either firmly in the bi camp, is a total tomboy, or some variation thereof.
    I'm happiest in a t-shirt, tight jeans and army boots. I don't like pink, hated dolls as a kid, have never squee'd over a boyband or been a stereotypical girly girl. I also enjoy a good romcom, wear my hair and nails long and will kill anyone outside of my immediate, trusted circle who has seen me without make up on.

I am not someone who needs a label or pigeonholing or "identifying" as one thing or another to please some social group or another. I'm just being me.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

But Cyrus made one more thing clear when she announced the foundation in an interview with Out magazine: Miley Cyrus—though not explicitly labeling herself—appears to be genderqueer.
    I didn’t want to be a boy,” she told Out magazine. “I kind of wanted to be nothing. I don’t relate to what people would say defines a girl or a boy, and I think that’s what I had to understand: Being a girl isn’t what I hate, it’s the box that I get put into.”
    Meh, I don't see where she 'came out' as anything. She's being judged based on a misleading headline by some website. She never labelled herself as 'genderqueer' or anything else-- she made a simple comment to OUT magazine when talking to them about a charity she launched supporting homeless people, many of whom are part of the LGBT community, and The Superficial decided to make a drama out of it. I think she's just using her own experience to illustrate a point that many here are making: that gender identity is fluid and many people don't fit the so-called norms.

I can't stand Miley, but this is much ado about nothing.
    faithanne and sputnik like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    Let me define genderqueer: "I don't like dresses and makeup and frilly things, so I'm not girly! I don't like guns and camo and spitting, so I'm not macho! I must be a special snowflake so I'm GENDERQUEER!"

Basically, every genderqueer whiner on tumblr takes the most stereotypical traits of males and females, and instead of realizing that gender norms are fluid and old cliches are boring and there are many different people in the world who express their gender in different ways, they want to label it so they can have special snowflake status and everyone can coo over them.
    When I think of genderqueer I think of my ex. He had a facial hair and wore a sundress once with no padding, makeup, or anything and still passed as a woman. I didn't even see him when we ran into each other in public; just saw a random woman. Dude is a fucking shapeshifter.

For all the people complaining about the labels: We need the labels so that we can talk about the issues. If you're talking about trans* issues, then you need a label like cis*, because otherwise you don't have the necessary vocabulary to discuss it. It's also important for visibility. If there's no word for it, it effectively does not exist and cannot be defended.

My understanding of "genderqueer" is that it is used by someone who deliberately queers their gender, like androgynes. Genderqueering is important because transfolks have traditionally been seen to reinforce the gender binary rather than challenge it. This may not actually be true, but it's the perception.
    Last edited by Lalasnake; May 11th, 2015 at 12:19 AM.
    Tati and misrule like this.

Elite Member

This is an interesting topic. My ex came out to everyone last year as trans, she (he)'s transitioning to male and has already had the top surgery but isn't sold on hormones or the full-on sexual-reassignment surgery. Would this technically make him genderqueer? Because he call's himself transexual and that's how I see him as well... Or is genderqueer really just someone who's androgynes and it doesn't cross lines of sexuality or of feeling trapped in the wrong body?
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information