Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mike Tyson's 4 year old daughter dies

I went to a clients house today and she has a 1 year old and a 3 year old. She had her blinds in the kitchen pulled up and the longggggggg cord hanging down to the floor. i talked to her about it and fixed it for her. It amazes me people dont childproof their home better. But a treadmill, I guess alot of us have them and dont really think about something like this happening.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Treadmills are like accident traps for children. Another freak accident to watch for with them, I know of one woman who's daughter was just playing near it while it was running, she came too close and her hair was caught up in the belt. She said it was a matter of seconds for her daughter to be close enough, her hair to swing by and that was it. Next thing she knew her daughter was screaming and her head was held down to the machine.
    A friend's five year old got on the treadmill while mom was cleaning. She turned the speed up very fast and was hurled into the wall. She was okay though.

I have a treadmill. I still can't imagine how she'd get looped around the emergency cord. Weird.

Very sad news.

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    I own a treadmill, it's our second. I don't understand how it happened because the cord comes off when pulled. Meaning the cord comes out of the machine when pulled. So I don't understand how it happened however.
    By design, the keys / cords detach when they are removed from the machine. I posted a consumer reports article that said that many people tie that cord to the sides of the machine so its out of their way. And this disables the safety function.

if this was true then... I dont want to make accusations. I agree it was a complete freak accident. but if the above is true, it could have been prevented.

I own a treadmill, it's our second. I don't understand how it happened because the cord comes off when pulled. Meaning the cord comes out of the machine when pulled. So I don't understand how it happened however... freak things happen all the time to everyone and it's a sad thing when people die especially a 4 year old. Exodus means journey and it's a beautiful name..... beats the hell out of Radio Flyer or Moxie Crimefighter.
    I think Exodus is a great name too. I thought it was Greek for 'departure'? I suppose that's similar to journey. I assume Tyson is either Jewish and named her after the Exodus book or he's a big Marley fan and named it after the song. Exodus is Mr P's favorite Marley song.

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    I saw a public service announcement that Tyson recently made about drug use, I believe anyone can change. I have heard his story, its is truly sad but not an excuse for his behavior as an adult. I hope this doesnt become a Tyson bashing, he is a grieving dad,as someone said, no one should to have to bury their child.
    I wonder if Mike is going to relapse. That was the first thing that came to mind when I heard about his daughter's death.

Quote Originally Posted by mklady View Post
    I thought she had the power cord around her neck but that's not right. If she was playing with a safety cord on there, one that was already looped, it wouldn't take much for it to become twisted or hooked up on something.

Treadmills are like accident traps for children. Another freak accident to watch for with them, I know of one woman who's daughter was just playing near it while it was running, she came too close and her hair was caught up in the belt. She said it was a matter of seconds for her daughter to be close enough, her hair to swing by and that was it. Next thing she knew her daughter was screaming and her head was held down to the machine.
    That reminds me of my mother instilling a life long paranoia about getting caught by a moving escalator and travelator. Even when I don't have shoes with shoelaces on, I'll look down and watch my feet go on and off.

I'm really sorry to hear about this.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    It makes me sick, all the people that hurt him when he was growing up. He never learned how to deal with anger and bitterness. He commited a crime, served his sentence, learned some tough lessons, trying to do better which must be hard in a world of people that wont let you forget your past mistakes.
    RIP Exodus
    I'm sorry he got fucked up as a kid,too, but none of that makes it okay for you to hurt other people. Serving his time in jail is barely any kind of retribution. Sex offenders and batterers rarely change and everyone knows it. Raping someone and beating up your wife are not 'mistakes' like forgetting to put the toilet seat down because you are in a hurry. When I see what a prick he turned out to be I'm almost glad he had a fucked up childhood.

eta: I'm really not glad anyone had a messed up childhood. The point I was making is that we don't excuse any other people who had bad childhoods when they turn out to be predators, murderers, etc. I also really hope he had experienced some internal change, if for nothing more than the benefit of his wife and children. It is just strange to me that there is no forgiveness for a Don Imus or someone like him who has merely said some stupid/racist/rude things, but for MT it's like all in the past as though being an abuser is just some phase you go through.
    Last edited by crumpet; May 28th, 2009 at 10:53 AM.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^
    a kid died. it's a horrible thing. no one should be so revenge-happy that they actually think, oh yeah, it's sad a kid died but i'm happy the bastard father is suffering.
    i don't like mike tyson either but that has nothing to do with this. it's a horrible thing for a parent to lose a child and i'd feel sorry for don imus too if he lost a kid, and leave my feelings for anything else he's said out of it. if this were happening to don imus, it wouldn't change what i think of him: he's still a racist pig, but that doesn't mean that i won't feel sorry for him that he lost his kid.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^^To each his own.

^^
    that's very true.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Wow that is a freaky accident.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    By design, the keys / cords detach when they are removed from the machine. I posted a consumer reports article that said that many people tie that cord to the sides of the machine so its out of their way. And this disables the safety function.

if this was true then... I dont want to make accusations. I agree it was a complete freak accident. but if the above is true, it could have been prevented.
    oh my gosh I do that sometimes too so when I'm not using it the cord doesn't get lost.. I will be more careful. I know a certain child who will not be playing with my treadmill, he put in the key and it took off, he got flung back and scraped up his face and arm.. not bad but he won't be doing it again.

About Tysons past. Thats Tysons past not his daughters, so her memory has to take the wrath of others because they don't like her father?

my thoughts and non related to his daughter -
    Mike Tyson was never a boxer, he was a thug, a street brawler if he had a education he might have been one of the greatest boxers ever but he never progressed. He peed through his money and let Don King rip him off, along with Robin Givens and her greedy mother. As for the ear thing, as bad as it was Mike told the ref Evander was head butting him but the ref didn't do anything about it. Evander is known for head butting and notice he didn't say much when his ears were laying on the mat.

Mikes life is a series of unfortunate events.

I also believe people can change.

oh my gosh I do that sometimes too so when I'm not using it the cord doesn't get lost.. I will be more careful. I know a certain child who will not be playing with my treadmill, he put in the key and it took off, he got flung back and scraped up his face and arm.. not bad but he won't be doing it again.

About Tysons past. Thats Tysons past not his daughters, so her memory has to take the wrath of others because they don't like her father?

my thoughts and non related to his daughter -
    Mike Tyson was never a boxer, he was a thug, a street brawler if he had a education he might have been one of the greatest boxers ever but he never progressed. He peed through his money and let Don King rip him off, along with Robin Givens and her greedy mother. As for the ear thing, as bad as it was Mike told the ref Evander was head butting him but the ref didn't do anything about it. Evander is known for head butting and notice he didn't say much when his ears were laying on the mat.

Mikes life is a series of unfortunate events.

I also believe people can change.
    I believe that as well!
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Not at all. I was talking about his pain, not hers or that of the rest of the family.

Producer: Mike Tyson Has Strength to Cope with Tragedy

By Mike Fleeman
    Originally posted Friday May 29, 2009 06:10 PM EDT

LaLa Vazquez and Mike Tyson Photo by: Gilbert Flores / Celebrity Photo, Charles Sykes / APIt was a blow of the sort he never felt in the ring. Just when his life was taking a major turn for the better, Mike Tyson lost his 4-year-old daughter to a freak accident at home.

"It's unbelievable," says LaLa Vazquez, one of the producers of Tyson, the revealing documentary about the boxing champ. "He hit a great point with this movie, and people were starting to get him, and treat him with understanding. And this happens."

Daughter Exodus died Tuesday at a Phoenix hospital after she accidentally got her neck wrapped in a cord from an exercise machine. Tyson, who was in Las Vegas at the time, flew to Arizona and was seen entering the hospital. He issued a statement saying, "There are no words to describe the tragic loss."

As documented in Tyson, the boxer has had a life filled with tragedy and upheaval, much of it brought upon him by himself as he battled his demons. The movie from filmmaker James Toback has been met with critical and financial success, and has shown the public different sides of the often-misunderstood Tyson.

"I think he's at a point where he can deal with it," said Vazquez of Exodus's death. "But I don't care how confident you are in yourself: This is a crusher. With maturity and age and everything he went through, he will be able to pull this through for his family. He will make it through this. But, man, what else can happen to him?"

Tyson also appears as himself in the comedy The Hangover out June 5.
    Rip Mom

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information