Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Like Tree798Likes

Thread: Michelle McNamara, writer and wife of Patton Oswalt, dies suddenly at 46

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    And now I'm going to go clean out my purse. There's aderall, klonopin, ibuprofen, and half a leftover mushroom chocolate from NYE. Scandalous!!!
    You sound like someone I need to spend more time with
    stella blue likes this.

Dibs on the leftover mushroom!
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Elite Member

Well, the fentanyl and opiates were prescribed to her, so presumably she did have some sort of diagnose. It's a matter of definition or semantics, but I think a non-drug addicted patient would ask their doctor how the fentanyl mixes with benzos and amphetamines and any other drugs they're taking, both prescribed and recreational. Amphetamines are amphetamines whether they come in diet pills or from your friendly neighborhood dealer.
    Of course Radar is laying it on thick with the "private drug den". They aren't known for their restraint or consideration.

Which is why I think they should stick to desperate people like Sharty who are more than willing to pay them outright to take "private" pics or embellish a story and throw it out there. And leave Patton Oswalt and his family alone.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Radar Online should fuck right off with this shit. I don't have a medicine cabinet but man my sister has medicine bags full of prescription bottles. If she doesn't wake up one day, she will probably go down as the biggest druggie in history if Radar picks up the story.
    greysfang likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    And now I'm going to go clean out my purse. There's aderall, klonopin, ibuprofen, and half a leftover mushroom chocolate from NYE. Scandalous!!!
    I'd be caught with cherry scented hand sanitizer, Bliss hand cream, ibuprofen and an overloaded lipgloss pocket.
    OrangeSlice, Nevan and idunno like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I'd be caught with about six different bottles of various kinds of Excedrin and a bottle of Aleve in my purse. Now the medicine cabinet...that's a different story. My brother and I cleaned out our grandmother's pill bottles after she passed last year. We could literally fill 2-3 large kitchen trash bags with all of her pill bottles, each with a few still in them. Those things were a bitch to deal with.
    Brookie likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

michelle was not a junkie. that article i posted on the beginning of the thread pointed out how many of us are being overprescribed. she did NOT need fentanyl unless she had end stage cancer pain, that's what it's meant for. it's not her fault. all of her drugs, even the fun ones, do the jobs they are intended to do. mixing and not knowing or pushing what you know you can do is what ends in these situations. i'm not sure if one doctor gave her the opiates and the benzos. if he did he should have given her warning, or even the pharmacist! unless you do major research before mixing drugs you end up playing with fire. and it's not just mixing heroin and cocaine, but real pharmas like a fentanyl patch for backpain, a few benzos to mellow out from slight anxiety, a glass of wine before bed, and maybe a percocet to help you sleep.

and you never wake up.

this woman was NOT to blame for her death. she wasn't living in a drug den. she just was NOT properly educated on how to take her meds. and even had a few of patton's (benzos?).

this is a real issue and they need to educate not just the junkies but anyone who is using these drugs, for pain or light recreation. i knew of a guy who died from a very high (but still safety tolerance amount) of dxm (cough syrup, think 'robotripping'), he was also on an SNRI (effexor). he went into serotonin syndrome and died in hours. most horrible way to die too. he had no clue, i don't robotrip but if i tried it, i'd never have known taking an antidepressant too could kill me.

my point, is i admired michelle's writings, and i hope patton can raise some awareness to the dangers of not educating people on how to stay safe when buying drugs both legal and illegally. get from same doctor, pharmacy.... and if you are buying extras off the street (fentanyl or mdma)... READ HARM REDUCTION SITES!!! it took me twice of waking up with my head stuck in a cooler (don't ask), drooling, after mixing narcotic painkillers ( dilaudid 4mg for post surgery pain), .5mg klonopin & 25mg of seroquel (anxiety) and a z type sleeping pill (zopiclone). yeah.. and those were my actual doses so i wasn't overdosing! i basically had a bad interaction. not cool not to be warned! no one told me i couldn't take them together

so,sorrow for this family and wish she hadn't died.

eta: sorry you guys been studying a lot about addiction for school and i'm really passionate... i wasn't trying to accuse ms. mcnamara of being a ''bad person'' when i linked the report, it's an important part of my studies and i was so angry about it, not her though.

^^^ Yes! I don't understand why she got Fentanyl at all, why anyone would get this, it is 1000 times stronger than Morphin, who needs this on a regular, not-dying-in-a-hospice basis? But - my description eager Neurologist gave me Tavor (Benzo) for emergencies, Fluoxol for little emergencies, asked if I needed something to sleep AND offered me some SSRI for every day use, all in one session and without asking what else I take. So I see what happened to Michelle, taking a pill was probably the most normal, undramatic thing for her to do, like it is for almost everyone.
    Annika likes this.

Yeah, it's truly shocking how willing some doctors are to shill out meds without really understanding the consequences or having a full picture of why other meds you're on. I always ask then ask the pharmacist again to be sure, then google interactions. My goal in life is not to pull a Ledger, as my friends so poetically call it.

I always check with the pharmacist if the prescription pills cause any interactions or if there is something to know about them. It was not really bad, but once I had a (handwritten) prescription for my eye infection and when I went to the pharamcy to collect it, they didn't give it to me but asked me several questions, then rang the doctor again and came back to tell me that the doctor wrote down something completely wrong. They said if I had put that into my eye I would have had to go to the ermergency again.
    -

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Shit! I'd hate for anyone to check my medicine cabinets if anything happened to me..... I've all kinds of shit in there (mostly barbiturates pain killers).
    We don't have a medicine cabinet, we have a whole cupboard in the kitchen dedicated to meds. We could take out three streets with the number of different pills, potions and solutions in there, and that's not counting the emergency stash we keep in the car for unexpected absences from home. In my bag alone I have three different types of painkillers, including some prescription strength stuff and I even have some Naproxen that I haven't got around to taking in to my local chemist so it can be disposed of properly (I found that I can't take it as it leaves me doubled over with stomach pain).

Junkie Central!
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Fentanyl is not just for end stage cancer treatment. It's used for chronic severe pain that's not responsive to other treatments.

Many people with serious pain issues are prescribed fentanyl thru pain management services.

Part of the issue with people being unaware of potential interactions is due to filling prescriptions at various pharmacies.

For example, my insurance requires anything more than 90 days be filled thru mail order services. I can fill anything other than 90 days at brick and mortar stores. So records aren't always current for pharmacists to see what else you may be on. I'm careful to keep current information on file. I also use one network for my providers so they too can see current medications before the prescribe something new.
    holly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    We don't have a medicine cabinet, we have a whole cupboard in the kitchen dedicated to meds. We could take out three streets with the number of different pills, potions and solutions in there, and that's not counting the emergency stash we keep in the car for unexpected absences from home. In my bag alone I have three different types of painkillers, including some prescription strength stuff and I even have some Naproxen that I haven't got around to taking in to my local chemist so it can be disposed of properly (I found that I can't take it as it leaves me doubled over with stomach pain).

Junkie Central!
    I have recently been prescribed Naproxin due to a shoulder injury, the codine I was taking didn't touch it and if I took enough to stop the pain I was worried about od-ing plus could not drive...
    It's better (& helps my old hip that no longer responds to ibuprofen) but I am as sore & stiff as a 90 yo today as I have forgotten to take it for a few days.
    Free Charmed.

Naproxen is an NSAID. It's not even a narcotic. You can buy it as an OTC med.

Are you confusing that with something else maybe?
    BrickHouse likes this.

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread Information