Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree798Likes

Thread: Michelle McNamara, writer and wife of Patton Oswalt, dies suddenly at 46

..."sometimes I would fall into that cliché where I would say ‘Well everything happens for a reason I guess.’ And she would go, ‘No it doesn’t. It doesn’t happen for any reason. S— just happens. There’s no closure, there’s no order and there’s no meaning. It’s whatever meaning you try to put on it but nothing happens for any reason. Get that out of your head.’ ”
    His wife was a smart cookie. She's so right.

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    Not saying you are a bitch but you know kids will knock your socks off sometimes with the wisdom that comes out of their mouth even the ones that put on a helmet and walk into walls. I have no reason to think he would make that shit up. I'm sure she heard it somewhere. Maybe she read it in a book.
    Children are capable of saying very profound things. And as for potentially repeating or paraphrasing something that they heard an adult say - that's basically what we tell them to do for the first 10 or so years of their lives. So, of course they are going to have the facility to repeat and even synthesize concepts that they have heard from adults around them. Including statements about immortality, the unfairness of live, etc.
    panic and Seapharris7 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    Not saying you are a bitch but you know kids will knock your socks off sometimes with the wisdom that comes out of their mouth even the ones that put on a helmet and walk into walls. I have no reason to think he would make that shit up. I'm sure she heard it somewhere. Maybe she read it in a book.

I love Patton and reading and watching him talk about this gets me in the gut every single time. When your spouse is in his/her 40s, you have an expectation that they will wake up.
    My cousin went to sleep and never woke up. His wife slept beside him all night without a clue. Fast forward 20 years, her granddaughter took some cold medicine and a muscle relaxant and went to sleep. Her grandmother found her dead the next morning in the same house where her grandfather died.

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    My cousin went to sleep and never woke up. His wife slept beside him all night without a clue. Fast forward 20 years, her granddaughter took some cold medicine and a muscle relaxant and went to sleep. Her grandmother found her dead the next morning in the same house where her grandfather died.
    Oh god. How awful.

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    People reports that the comedian was a half-hour into his set before telling the audience at the Beacon Theatre, “Six months and 12 days ago, my wife passed away... There’s no way to segue into that. It’s just my life and it’s kind of all-consuming. And it sucks. It sucks.”
    He then talked about what life has been like, observing that the way we talk about recovering from the loss of a loved one doesn’t fit the experience:
    “A lot of the terminology that people use when you’re going through something like this is just ridiculous,” he said. “If I hear the term ‘healing journey’ one more time… It is not a ‘healing journey.’ It’s a ‘numb slog.’ It’s just, ‘Well, it’s the end of another day — guess I’ll do that tomorrow.’ It’s just a numb slog until you start feeling s— again.”
    “If they would call it a ‘numb slog’ instead of a ‘healing journey,’ it would make it a lot easier,” he continued. “Because if they call it a ‘healing journey’ and it’s just a day of you eating Wheat Thins in your underwear, you’re like, ‘I guess I’m on my healing journey.’ But if they say you’re going to have a ‘numb slog,’ you sit there going ‘I’m nailing it!’ ”
    He also talked about his daughter Alice, and how he broke the news to her the day following McNamara’s death, keeping her home from school and spending the morning with her. Alice soon wanted to return to class, which Oswalt says was a good choice, in part because of the other students lack of filter was refreshing: “Monday was me taking her to school and the kids saying ‘Were you sad when Alice’s mom died?’ And I was like, ‘Yes, I was—what a great question.’”
    McNamara was a lauded true crime writer, who was finishing a book on the Golden State Killer at the time of her death, which Oswalt has pledged to see published. He said during his special that their views of the world, influenced by their respective crafts, often conflicted:
    “I’m very very OCD,” he explained. “I like logic and order and neatness. And sometimes I would fall into that cliché where I would say ‘Well everything happens for a reason I guess.’ And she would go, ‘No it doesn’t. It doesn’t happen for any reason. S— just happens. There’s no closure, there’s no order and there’s no meaning. It’s whatever meaning you try to put on it but nothing happens for any reason.
    Absolutely agree ^ and have said this to others many times. You make the meaning and if you are lucky you can eventually make it mean something that is beneficial (growing emotional or spiritually, changing your patterns to become a better person, gaining empathy, what have you.) . Thank you for posting this. I feel for this man and his daughter, 6 months is very soon to expect any sort of healing, I hope that he is easy on himself and has tons of supportive family and friends.

I will go read the comments now, Stella.

Read them, thanks!
    Last edited by MmeVertigina; November 7th, 2016 at 04:47 PM. Reason: editing the pics out.

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    This is my worst nightmare. My husband has sleep apnea and just this last week I counted 7-8 second intervals where he wasn't breathing. I would wake him but it kept happening, it was terrifying. I've gotta make him go to the dr. about that.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

^^ Tie him up and drag him there if you need to. The associated health risks with OSA are too great to ignore and he might not realise how little 'good' sleep he's been getting until he's started treatment. Cpaps aren't the sexiest thing to wear to bed but the difference they make is tremendous (once you get over the waking up several times a night because you can't hear them snoring and you poke them to make sure they are still alive lol).
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

My dad, for as long as I can remember, snored so loud he woke the house up, with way too much time between breaths. He went through numerous sleep studies that said nothing was wrong. (I have no idea how they came to that conclusion, unless he was just a completely different man in a monitored environment.) He finally got a CPAP a couple of years ago, and he is more energetic than he's ever been, and he's always been pretty energetic even with the sleep issues. We shared a hotel room on a bike trip last year and I couldn't even hear the CPAP. I would have needed a separate room if he was still snoring. So get thee to the CPAP doc!

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Somebody needs to come up with a sleep aid for OSA sufferers partners! First you can't get a good nights sleep because you wake up every time they do the stop breathing/snort/choke/start breathing again cycle. Then you can't sleep because you can't hear them snoring/stopping/snorting/snoring, only the gentle hum of the CPap. Now when he travels with work I can't get to sleep because I can't hear the damn machine! I have to put the radio on low volume with a sleep timer to turn off after 30 minutes because it's too damn quiet!

That bastard gets better sleep than I do now!
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I just thought this picture was so precious. He said he doesn't want his daughter growing up in Donald Trump's version of the U.S.

Alice looks just like my 6 year old nephew. We always joke that he looks just like Patton.

Hey, she's too young to vote.

Call Trump headquarters, this is a clear case of the fraud he's been telling us will happen.....

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

It looks like he gave up shaving for Movember, just like me. Same amount of stubble and same color, too, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Neptunia View Post
    I just thought this picture was so precious. He said he doesn't want his daughter growing up in Donald Trump's version of the U.S.

You should have seen the hate directed to him last night on Twitter. He's very pro Hillary and the trolls were tweeting him and claiming he murdered his wife. So horrible what they were saying.I fucking hate people at times.

Patton Oswalt Reveals Wife Michelle McNamara’s Cause of Death

Seth Kelley

News Editor, Online @SethMKelley

Gregory Pace/BEI/BEI/Shutterstock

February 4, 2017 | 10:14AM PT Comedian Patton Oswalt announced in a statement to the AP on Friday that coroner officials had told him the cause of death of his late wife Michelle McNamara. McNamara died in April but, at the time, no cause of death of was announced.
    “We learned today the combination of drugs in Michelle’s system, along with a condition we were unaware of, proved lethal,” Oswalt said in a statement delivered via his publicist.
    He added that blockages, combined with the medications Adderall, Xanax and the pain medication Fentanyl were responsible for taking McNamara’s life at age 46.
    McNamara was a crime writer best known for her website TrueCrimeDiary where she covered and discussed both breaking news and cold cases. She said in an interview from 2007 that she started the website for fun.
    “I think what’s interesting about them is there’s more stuff to be unearthed that hasn’t been in the public yet and you can do it,” she said.
    Oswalt is known mostly as a stand-up comedian and writer. He has starred in “Veep,” “The King of Queens,” “Magnolia” and “Starsky & Hutch.” He also voiced the rat chef Remy in “Ratatouille.”
    Following his wife’s death, Oswalt penned a powerful open letter published by Time as an obituary. “She hasn’t left a void,” he wrote. “She’s left a blast crater.”

Patton Oswalt: Wife Michelle McNamara?s Cause of Death Revealed | Variety
    Free Charmed.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information